What is Dan Marino's legacy?

Blackout

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dan Marino's legacy is this:

He was a quarterback in miami during a 'miami fad' started by Miami Vice. This made him popular. Now we discuss his legacy, because we're realizing the show was lame, pastel colors are lame, and maybe the Dolphins just weren't very good.

I understand what you're trying to do here...

FWIW, Marino has the most 4th Quarter comebacks of any QB in NFL History. Goes to show you how ****ty some of the Dolphin defenses were.

Also, take a quick look at Marino and Youngs numbers. It's laughable.

Steelers biggest mistake ever was passing on Marino in that draft.

If Chuck Noll woulda took him, he wouldn't have been pushed to retirement so early and probably gets another Lombardi or two imo.

I hadn't realized Marino had more 4th quarter heroics than Elway maybe due to Elway's playoff comebacks. Thanks for the info.

It probably elevates Danny to my top 5 fwiw.

No way a Young belongs up there imo. He basically got in the hall by taking over the machine Joe cool ran. But Joe Cool was twice the QB in his prime. Jerry Rice and John Taylor at WR? I could complete passes to them. Not to mention the recieving backs they had and Tom Rathman over the years.

FWIW, Marino has the most 4th Quarter comebacks of any QB in NFL History. Goes to show you how ****ty some of the Dolphin defenses were.

It is. Young's got a significantly better completion percentage, higher YPA, lower INT %, higher passer rating, better winning percentage, more rushing yards.

He's also got more MVPs. Oh, and more SB rings. :Nuts:

1 SB in half the time vs 0 with twice as much experience?

It is. Young's got a significantly better completion percentage, higher YPA, lower INT %, higher passer rating, better winning percentage, more rushing yards.

You realllllllly enjoy f'n with Dolphin fans, don't ya ??

Can't say that I blame ya as I do my share of f'n with clowns fans.

Rivalries rule! lol

Young played in the west coast offense. Of course he would have a better YPA and completion %. Goofball.

Convenient you neglected to mentioned Marino has almost 30,000 more passing yards and nearly 200 more TD's.

Yeah but I don't know if that's fair. He NEVER had a Defense worth a damn.

During Marino's 17 years in the NFL, the Dolphins had the number one defense in the league twice, in 1983 and 1998. They were also ranked in the top 10 three other seasons during his career and 12th or better two more times.

So for 7 of his 17 years he had a decent to very good defense. If you take out 1993 when he only played 5 games due to injury and the Dolphins were ranked 24th in total defense you could say he had a decent to very good, even great defense in almost half his seasons in the NFL.

NEVER had a defense worth a damn? Hardly. He had defenses that should have been good enough to win championships with.

During Marino's 17 years in the NFL, the Dolphins had the number one defense in the league twice, in 1983 and 1998. They were also ranked in the top 10 three other seasons during his career and 12th or better two more times.

So for 7 of his 17 years he had a decent to very good defense. If you take out 1993 when he only played 5 games due to injury and the Dolphins were ranked 24th in total defense you could say he had a decent to very good, even great defense in almost half his seasons in the NFL.

NEVER had a defense worth a damn? Hardly. He had defenses that should have been good enough to win championships with.

Look at what those "Great" defenseive teams did in the playoffs. They were smoked by the K-Gun Bills a couple times. Hell, they even got manhandled by Montana's 49ers in the Super Bowl in Marino's first full season.

Those defenses were never great. A couple good years, but never elite.

Look at what those "Great" defenseive teams did in the playoffs. They were smoked by the K-Gun Bills a couple times. Hell, they even got manhandled by Montana's 49ers in the Super Bowl in Marino's first full season.

Those defenses were never great. A couple good years, but never elite.

Tell it to someone who gives a crap.

If Super Bowl wins are the barometer by which someone's greatness is judged, then obivously Marino isn't a top 30 QB.

Funny that football is the only sport where Championships determine someones greatness. Never hear people say Ted Williams wasn't the greatest hitter of all-time because he never won a World Series.

That's just not true.

Baseball's an individual sport. It's like golf with teams. It's different. But even when talking about the all-time greats in that sport, how they performed on a championship level matters as far as their legacy is concerned.

But the legends in basketball and hockey are champions. Michael Jordan and Wayne Gretzky just aren't viewed the same way -no matter what kind of amazing numbers they put up- without the championships.

Marino's legacy will always be as a guy who should've been good enough to win a Super Bowl, but didn't.

That's just not true.

Baseball's an individual sport. It's like golf with teams. It's different. But even when talking about the all-time greats in that sport, how they performed on a championship level matters as far as their legacy is concerned.

But the legends in basketball and hockey are champions. Michael Jordan and Wayne Gretzky just aren't viewed the same way -no matter what kind of amazing numbers they put up- without the championships.

Marino's legacy will always be as a guy who should've been good enough to win a Super Bowl, but didn't.

I agree that Jordan and Gretzky's reputations were propelled by Championships. My point was that you don't often see players who are criticized for not winning a Champ.

I agree that Jordan and Gretzky's reputations were propelled by Championships. My point was that you don't often see players who are criticized for not winning a Champ.

It's a criticism here because you're a fish fan on a Jets' fan site! ;)

There's more than one school of thought in the GOAT debate, but I'm definitely of the mind that championships are -and should be- a deciding factor. When you're ranking players all-time, the guys who went undefeated in the Super Bowl, or won more than they lost, get extra credit for that. The object of the season is to be the last team standing. Seems fair to include that as a factor when discussing the best of all time.

You see guys give credit to Elway for carrying his team there three times and losing. Jim Kelly gets that kind of credit. Marino only managed to carry his team there once.

Marino was a very good player, but he'll always be on that Dan Fouts tier.

Huh, well done Kleck. Good info.

Where you rank Marino is dependant on whether you rank talent or career. If you base your rank on talent then he is top three of all time depending on what qualities you value most. If you base your rank on career accomplishmentsc(which are impacted by outside factors) then Marino is top 10.

Numbers wise, it isnt even a conversation.

Elway was a slightly better version of Bernie Kosar in the 80's then rode Terrell Davis' legs to two rings.

well ofcourse Shannahan's offense was more based around running the ball than passing....but Elway was already an HOFer before he won those 2 superbowls.

Elway and Marino both played in the same AFC for a decade and a half...one had ALOT more success in the playoffs though lol.

Are you really serious.

You sure you aren't a bitter Browns fan.

Not at all. Look at the numbers. What did Elway do that was so special?

Marino and Montana were the QB's of that generation. I'd even put Jim Kelly ahead of him. Elway is at the top of the second tier with Kosar and O'brien.

"The drive" was against Schotty's Browns for christ sakes. A game that shouldnt have even happened if it werent for Gastineau's dumb ass. If the Jets played the Broncos in the AFC Championship, they win that game....like they had beaten them a few weeks earlier.

Also, the year prior Elway got in on a gift Ernest Byner fumble.

The AFC at the time was the sacrificial lamb for the NFC. Once Elway played a real team he got embarrassed.

Elway is the most overrated QB of all time. And its ridiculous that because of TD that people are actually considering him the best ever.

The guy cried about being picked by the Colts. He was a panzy from day 1.

Not at all. Look at the numbers. What did Elway do that was so special?

Marino and Montana were the QB's of that generation. I'd even put Jim Kelly ahead of him. Elway is at the top of the second tier with Kosar and O'brien.

"The drive" was against Schotty's Browns for christ sakes. A game that shouldnt have even happened if it werent for Gastineau's dumb ass. If the Jets played the Broncos in the AFC Championship, they win that game....like they had beaten them a few weeks earlier.

Also, the year prior Elway got in on a gift Ernest Byner fumble.

The AFC at the time was the sacrificial lamb for the NFC. Once Elway played a real team he got embarrassed.

Elway is the most overrated QB of all time. And its ridiculous that because of TD that people are actually considering him the best ever.

The guy cried about being picked by the Colts. He was a panzy from day 1.

The "drive" happened the year before the "fumble".

Archived