The Next Wes Welker???

SoFlaJets

NnhauBSSm58&feature=player_embedded#

TJB is doing a feature on him and says this:

ncf_i_shipley_600.jpg

The Good: Shipley can reach top speed with ease and will find a crease to burst through and believe me he will make life difficult for you with his speed! He has very balanced body control, a great pair of hands and is willing to put his body on the line. Shipley can also throw the opposing corner off balance and can run great routes. Did I mention he loves to block? Overall Shipley is very savvy and can help out on STS as well.

The Bad: What can you not like about the guy? His height isn

Because he's white?

and maybe because he's a slot receiver-like Chrebet. Hey there's a place for over-achieving white slot WR's in the NFL-that kid from Indy too and NE's Welker clone...they're all Wayne Chrebet's anyway. You need tough guys with heart on your team-look at Jim Leonhard for us last year...

If Shipley is there for us at round 2, you HAVE to take him. Edwards, Cotch, Keller and Shipley = MONEY as far as the passing game goes. The missing piece, for sure.

Round 1: CB

Round 2: Shipley

Love it.

That would be very satisfying actually, then we'd just have to hit on a late round guy for our front 7.

If Shipley is there for us at round 2, you HAVE to take him. Edwards, Cotch, Keller and Shipley = MONEY as far as the passing game goes. The missing piece, for sure.

Love it.

Round 1: Wilson/Cox

That would be a very satisfying haul for the Jets.

And I agree with the notion that it's disrespectful and even bigoted to label white players as over achievers. There's a lot of athletic ability on display. Heck, Erik Smith may suck, but he was the best athlete in the 2006 draft.

Love it.

As of right now, I think we'd have to trade up in the second to get him. After the combine, he may go in the first or third??? To early to say.

People need to get over this "overachieving" crap with white athletes. How about some are just naturally talented, like Hansbrough, Welker, Chrebet, Larry Bird, etc...?

Enough already.

Please never put Tyler Hansbrough's name in with those players ever, ever again. Thank you. NCAA and nothing more.

Please never put Tyler Hansbrough's name in with those players ever, ever again. Thank you. NCAA and nothing more.

Just brought his name up in the sense that people said he "overachieved" in college, when in truth, he was a very talented college athlete, who actually had more than just "heart.'

Stop cherry picking. :-)

Love it.

No, the missing piece is our OC getting his head out of his ass and learning how to design effective pass plays and then actually call them in the games ;)

Still will not solve our slot receiver need.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to get this guy in the draft. He's got some sick moves. I just don't think he's the true missing piece because even if we get him we'll still have the same OC designing plays where three receivers (and the defenders covering them) are within 5 yards of each other. I'm all for getting him in the 2nd round though. CB in the 1st, and him in the 2nd would be a great start to the draft.

Love it.

Slot WRs are not so valuable that they should go in the 1st or second round. Shipley'll probably be there on the board way after that. He's good, but a 25 year old slot WR isn't going to be a high round pick.

Slot WRs are not so valuable that they should go in the 1st or second round. Shipley'll probably be there on the board way after that. He's good, but a 25 year old slot WR isn't going to be a high round pick.

being projected as a late second rounder right now SG-and you can't discount the value of a guy just because he's a slot receiver-look at the production teams are getting out of that position in New England, Indianapolis and even Miami has a pretty damn good one in Brian Hartline-who I also like a lot

being projected as a late second rounder right now SG-and you can't discount the value of a guy just because he's a slot receiver-look at the production teams are getting out of that position in New England, Indianapolis and even Miami has a pretty damn good one in Brian Hartline-who I also like a lot

True, but not a single one of those slot guys was drafted high.

Bit threw out the idea of getting someone big enough to move Cotchery inside. I'd be down with that...THAT's a WR that requires a high round pick. DeMaryius Thomas or Benn would be nice...Decker could work too in the 2nd...we have no shot at all of Bryant.

Bryant, Edwards, and Cotchery would one day be the best WR corps in the league. Possibly.

Why do so many people think we need to take a WR high? We have 2 very good receivers. We are a running team. To bring in a 3rd WR you are taking a fullback off the field. Play to your strength. Even out of a running formation we still have a formitable passing attack. Brandon, Cotchery, Keller and Washington out of the backfield are plenty enough targets for Mark. Let's use our 1st and 2nd round picks on every down players that will make an impact. Not a part-time slot receier that gets us away from our strenght.

Scouting The Draft: Jordan Shipley, WR, Texas

by David_Wyatt on Feb 10, 2010 7:08 AM EST

I love Jordan Shipley, there it is, it's out there now. Obviously talking about his game, but this guy is going to be a slot stud at the next level. I have no doubt about that.. He already has the skills to come in and start from day one, in the slot. He is never going to be a number one receiver, but I really hate that phrase. Welker is the Patriots number one receiver for me, and he works from the slot.

Shipley has so much going for him he could well sneak into the late first round, personally have him going in the first 10 picks of the 2nd round, potential to move back a few spots and take him, or just select him straight up. He has the talent, and he has the work ethic.

Sometimes in a draft you get that bad feeling about someone, something that just screams at you that the player is not going to be successful, like nrmax88 with Joe Haden. Then there are times where you just have that feeling that someone is going to be special, one of those rare players that comes around every now and then that just turn into the cream of the crop.

"He

Shipley is a beast,

But similar slot guys can be had around the #61 pick: Mardy Gilyard, and Jacoby Ford come to mind.

By similar you mean better...at least in Gilyard's case. I kinda hope he's around at 61, but there should be a whole bunch of draftable prospects there...

Scouting The Draft, Mardy Gilyard, WR Cincinnati

by David_Wyatt on Feb 12, 2010 7:06 AM EST

Continuing with the theme of wide receivers today, we come to a player that I hear a lot of fans speak positively about, and it's not surprising. He really has some great talents, and everyone loves a player that can score every time he touches the ball, a little like Leon Washington.

Mardy Gilyard actually had his scholarship revoked for poor academic performance in 2006, it would be easy for him to find another school, one that doesn't put much emphasis on academics and continue his climb to the NFL. Instead he lived with friends and sometimes slept in his car while working to make enough money to re-enroll. Cincinnati were pleased that he did.

He took to becoming a student athlete instead of just an athlete and enjoyed a great career there, he won numerous honours for his work on special teams and offence.

During the Senior Bowl, Gilyard was one of the players that really stuck out in individual drills and work outs. He also went for 103 yards and a TD in the actual game.

"This game sums up everything, because I've been through all the hard work, all the ups and all the downs, the peaks and the valleys," said Gilyard, who eventually won back his scholarship. "I've been through everything. I've been from the brown sticky stuff at the bottom of the barrel to the cream at the top of the coffee."

The hard work is about to get harder for Gilyard.

Career Stats

2005- No receiving stats, 7 kicks returned for 176 yards

2006- (RS)

2007- 12 games played, 36 receptions, 536 yards, 3 TD. 7 PR for 50 yards, 8 KR for 213 yards

2008- 14 games played, 81 receptions, 1276 yards, 11 TD. 36 KR 994 yards, 2 TD's

2009- 13 games played, 87 receptions, 1191 yards, 11 TD's. 36 PR for 202 yards 1 TD. 42 KR 1281 yards, 2 TD's.

Career Awards & Achievement

2008 First Team All Big East

2009 First Team All Big East

2008 Big East Special Teams Player Of The Year

2009 Big East Special Teams Player Of The Year

2009 All American (AFCA-Coaches)

What does Gilyard Do Well?

Gilyard is explosive, he really is a threat to score every time he touches the ball. Gets very good acceleration off the snap, and pushes hard off the line. Has very good hands, catches the ball away from the body, and can make adjustments on badly thrown footballs. Very elusive in space, uses his blockers well, waits for the play to develop before bursting through any openings. A reliable kick returner who has shown he can take it to the house. Can get good separation, can often find the soft sports in the zone to exploit. Doesn't hesitate in working over the middle, and can catch in traffic, has good instincts to find the hole.

What does Gilyard need to work on?

Gilyard needs to work on his route running, often struggles to get off the line against press coverage, doesn't use his hands enough to beat the jam, because of this his size/strength are more noticeable compared to someone like Shipley. Weighs in at just over 185lb's. Needs to work on his blocking, is average in college so will probably be poor in the NFL. Doesn't go up and get the ball, but will fight for it coming over the shoulder.

Final Word

Gilyard is most definitely a second round prospect, bottom of the 2nd as well, so if we did miss out on Shipley/Tate then taking Gilyard would be the next best thing. A very dangerous player, very explosive, like his toughness and his returning skills. Does have some durability concerns which worry me for a player who we will likely rely on to go over the middle. Nice player, would be happy to have him in the 2nd, if we can't bag Shipley. Is my 3rd choice for potential wide receiver selections behind Tate and Shipley.

qqHZjHonAqQ&feature=player_embedded

Archived