The Next Wes Welker???

SoFlaJets

People need to get over this "overachieving" crap with white athletes. How about some are just naturally talented, like Hansbrough, Welker, Chrebet, Larry Bird, etc...?

Enough already.

+1,000...whatever you do make sure you don't talk about UNDERACHIEVING BLACK ATHLETES, thats a no-no

Why do so many people think we need to take a WR high? We have 2 very good receivers. We are a running team. To bring in a 3rd WR you are taking a fullback off the field. Play to your strength. Even out of a running formation we still have a formitable passing attack. Brandon, Cotchery, Keller and Washington out of the backfield are plenty enough targets for Mark. Let's use our 1st and 2nd round picks on every down players that will make an impact. Not a part-time slot receier that gets us away from our strenght.

Washington's a part-time player, too, and we don't know that he'll be the same coming back.

The Jets need another WR - not just a slot guy. The Jets have Braylon on a one year tender, and no depth at all behind him and Cotch. One of those guys gets hurt, and you're looking at David Clowney in the starting lineup. Not a pretty picture.

That's why the Jets need another TE who can catch a pass, too. Keller gets hurt, and you've got nothing there.

The Jets made a heavy investment in a potential franchise QB. The highest they've drafted a QB since Joe Namath. They need to invest in the type of players now that will help Sanchez become the Franchise QB all of us hope he can be.

They should be looking at a FB who can catch, a second TE, and not only a #3/slot receiver, but a #4 WR as well. Maybe one of those huge but slow red zone guys. Jets are at a disadvantage with only three players in their base package who can catch a pass. Most teams have a RB who's a threat there, but neither Greene nor Richardson is that guy. So they need viable options in the second TE and 3rd and 4th WR's.

Washington's a part-time player, too, and we don't know that he'll be the same coming back.

The Jets need another WR - not just a slot guy. The Jets have Braylon on a one year tender, and no depth at all behind him and Cotch. One of those guys gets hurt, and you're looking at David Clowney in the starting lineup. Not a pretty picture.

That's why the Jets need another TE who can catch a pass, too. Keller gets hurt, and you've got nothing there.

The Jets made a heavy investment in a potential franchise QB. The highest they've drafted a QB since Joe Namath. They need to invest in the type of players now that will help Sanchez become the Franchise QB all of us hope he can be.

They should be looking at a FB who can catch, a second TE, and not only a #3/slot receiver, but a #4 WR as well. Maybe one of those huge but slow red zone guys. Jets are at a disadvantage with only three players in their base package who can catch a pass. Most teams have a RB who's a threat there, but neither Greene nor Richardson is that guy. So they need viable options in the second TE and 3rd and 4th WR's.

Slats, you make it sound like the Jets are in a dire straits when all the positions you mentioned are filled by back of the draft guys and UDFA.

Seriously. 4th WR? Backup FB? Backup TE? Those are depth issues, not NEED issues.

A 3rd WR is a need, but besides that, not of those other positions you mentioned will be filled by the Jets 1st 2 draft picks. If anything, it will be the later rounds, UDFA, or a FA cut by another team.

And, incidently, Richardson will be back a FB. There are different types of offenses. This offense doesn't call for a pass catching FB, since it's similar to what Schotty was used to in San Diego. It calls for a blocking FB, that's why they signed Richardson in the first place.

Paul Hackett ran an offense with a pass catching FB (Anderson & Sowell). The Jets aren't going back to that so you can forget about them getting one.

Slats, you make it sound like the Jets are in a dire straits when all the positions you mentioned are filled by back of the draft guys and UDFA.

Seriously. 4th WR? Backup FB? Backup TE? Those are depth issues, not NEED issues.

A 3rd WR is a need, but besides that, not of those other positions you mentioned will be filled by the Jets 1st 2 draft picks. If anything, it will be the later rounds, UDFA, or a FA cut by another team.

And, incidently, Richardson will be back a FB. There are different types of offenses. This offense doesn't call for a pass catching FB, since it's similar to what Schotty was used to in San Diego. It calls for a blocking FB, that's why they signed Richardson in the first place.

Paul Hackett ran an offense with a pass catching FB (Anderson & Sowell). The Jets aren't going back to that so you can forget about them getting one.

I don't expect them to get the FB, TE, and the #4 WR I'm talking about, and I'm not talking about spending a premium pick on any of those positions, either. Just because I list something as a need (and I do think the word need applies), doesn't mean I think they need to spend a lot to fill it. That's Bradway thinking.

I do hope they pick up a bunch of those types of guys between the last couple rounds of the draft and the undrafted list, though, hoping that one or two stick.

You mention the SD offense that Schotty came from - well, that offense had LT catching 50-60 (100?!?) passes a year. Shonne Greene won't catch one. That's why I'm so interested in a FB who's a threat catching the ball out of the backfield. Mark Sanchez is at a disadvantage with only three players in the base offense who are capable of receiving. Most teams have at least four. With only three guys to worry about, it makes the defense's job easier, and the QB's job harder. I'd like to see that turned around.

I'm not going to list off a lot of names that I'm looking for, since I'm not qualified enough or aware of who we can target, but here's how I feel we should address the needs we have this offseason:

INITIAL CUTS:

QB Kellen Clemens

CB Drew Coleman

WR David Clowney

CB Lito Sheppard (possibly re-sign cheap later in free agency?)

RB Thomas Jones (possibly re-sign ")

FREE AGENCY:

# 2 TE (Leonard Pope?)

OG/OT (decent backup on the cheap)

Veteran backup QB (Kerry Collins?)

POSSIBLE TRADE BAIT:

S Kerry Rhodes

DRAFT (barring no trades/move-ups, which are likely):

Round 1: CB (Wilson?)

Round 2: WR (Shipley, if available)

Round 5: DE/OLB pass-rusher

Round 6: OT or OG

Round 7: Punter or BPA on our board

UDFA:

FB

DE/OLB (bring in as many as possible, select best 1 or 2)

WR

CB (bring in several, sign 1 or 2)

RB (if unable to bring Jones back)

C

NT

ILB

S

P

Special Teamers

OTHER POTENTIAL CUTS:

P Steve Weatherford

OLB Vernon Gholston

DE Marques Douglas

QB Kevin O'Connell

TE Ben Hartsock

ILB Ryan Fowler

2010-11 ROSTER (55 players, newcomers in bold):

QB: Mark Sanchez, Kerry Collins, Erik Ainge

RB: Shonn Greene, Leon Washington, Thomas Jones/UDFA RB

FB: Tony Richardson

WR: Braylon Edwards, Jerricho Cotchery, Jordan Shipley, Danny Woodhead, Wallace Wright, UDFA

TE: Dustin Keller, Leonard Pope, Ben Hartsock, James Dearth

OT: D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Damien Woody, Wayne Hunter, Matt Slauson, 6th rounder/UDFA/FA pickup

OG: Alan Faneca, Brandon Moore, Robert Turner, 6th rounder/UDFA/FA pickup

C: Nick Mangold, UDFA

DE: Shaun Ellis, Mike DeVito, 5th rounder/UDFA, UDFA

NT: Kris Jenkins, Sione Pouha, Howard Green, UDFA

OLB: Calvin Pace, Bryan Thomas, Jamaal Westerman, 5th rounder/UDFA

ILB: Bart Scott, David Harris, UDFA

CB: Darrelle Revis, Kyle Wilson, Dwight Lowery, Donald Strickland, UDFA

FS: Kerry Rhodes, Eric Smith

SS: Jim Leonhard, James Ihedigbo

K: Jay Feely

P: 7th rounder/UDFA

In summary, we're going to need to dig deep this off-season and look at a LOT of UDFA's. The scouts and the choices Rex makes with personnel will never be more critical to our success. If we do indeed go CB and WR on day 1, the biggest need we will need to fill by a sleeper will be a pass-rusher, and Rex will need to find a diamond in the rough.

I'm not going to list off a lot of names that I'm looking for, since I'm not qualified enough or aware of who we can target, but here's how I feel we should address the needs we have this offseason:

INITIAL CUTS:

QB Kellen Clemens

CB Drew Coleman

WR David Clowney

CB Lito Sheppard (possibly re-sign cheap later in free agency?)

RB Thomas Jones (possibly re-sign ")

FREE AGENCY:

# 2 TE (Leonard Pope?)

OG/OT (decent backup on the cheap)

Veteran backup QB (Kerry Collins?)

POSSIBLE TRADE BAIT:

S Kerry Rhodes

DRAFT (barring no trades/move-ups, which are likely):

Round 1: CB (Wilson?)

Round 2: WR (Shipley, if available)

Round 5: DE/OLB pass-rusher

Round 6: OT or OG

Round 7: Punter or BPA on our board

UDFA:

FB

DE/OLB (bring in as many as possible, select best 1 or 2)

WR

CB (bring in several, sign 1 or 2)

RB (if unable to bring Jones back)

C

NT

ILB

S

P

Special Teamers

OTHER POTENTIAL CUTS:

P Steve Weatherford

OLB Vernon Gholston

DE Marques Douglas

QB Kevin O'Connell

TE Ben Hartsock

2010-11 ROSTER (55 players, newcomers in bold):

QB: Mark Sanchez, Kerry Collins, Erik Ainge

RB: Shonn Greene, Leon Washington, Thomas Jones/UDFA RB

FB: Tony Richardson

WR: Braylon Edwards, Jerricho Cotchery, Jordan Shipley, Danny Woodhead, Wallace Wright, UDFA

TE: Dustin Keller, Leonard Pope, Ben Hartsock, James Dearth

OT: D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Damien Woody, Wayne Hunter, Matt Slauson, 6th rounder/UDFA/FA pickup

OG: Alan Faneca, Brandon Moore, Robert Turner, 6th rounder/UDFA/FA pickup

C: Nick Mangold, UDFA

DE: Shaun Ellis, Mike DeVito, 5th rounder/UDFA, UDFA

NT: Kris Jenkins, Sione Pouha, Howard Green, UDFA

OLB: Calvin Pace, Bryan Thomas, Jamaal Westerman, 5th rounder/UDFA

ILB: Bart Scott, David Harris, Ryan Fowler, UDFA

CB: Darrelle Revis, Kyle Wilson, Dwight Lowery, Donald Strickland, UDFA

FS: Kerry Rhodes, Eric Smith

SS: Jim Leonhard, UDFA

K: Jay Feely

P: 7th rounder/UDFA

In summary, we're going to need to dig deep this off-season and look at a LOT of UDFA's. The scouts and the choices Rex makes with personnel will never be more critical to our success. If we do indeed go CB and WR on day 1, the biggest need we will need to fill by a sleeper will be a pass-rusher, and Rex will need to find a diamond in the rough.

this is actually a pretty good post that deserves its own thread... however it should be noted gholston is one of the least cuttable players on the roster... even with the uncapped year. 9 OL seems like a lot... as does 5 RB... You are cutting Brad Smith? Ihedibo? Cummings? Ryan Fowler should be cut he's worthless...

this is actually a pretty good post that deserves its own thread... however it should be noted gholston is one of the least cuttable players on the roster... even with the uncapped year. 9 OL seems like a lot... as does 5 RB... You are cutting Brad Smith? Ihedibo? Cummings? Ryan Fowler should be cut he's worthless...

Forgot about Ihedigbo. I'll replace Fowler with him, for the sake of what's more likely. As for the OL, I'd say we probably end up with 7, but we need depth. If we can't find it in the draft, UDFA or limited FA pool, we'll need bodies. If we do find some decent depth, Turner and/or Slauson can go.

I'll tell you 8-0 watch for that kid from the CFL Larry Taylor-I believe he's a RB and KR extraordinaire-we signed him a month ago and he's a guy I'm really rooting for and will be watching closely.

This guy has some quick moves.. I just hope the Jets can find other uses for him than just returns.

Archived