~~~***Official Winter Olympics Thread***~~~

vanDoug

Gauging reactions from the last winter games on this board I realize this is not a very popular event for most of you. I'm not the biggest fan either but some of the events do interest me. This time though, it's in my back yard - literally, so my interest level is up. My apartment overlooks Robson Square in Vancouver which is one of the celebration zones. Large screens, speakers, massive amounts of lighting, zip tracks, flame towers, ice rink, closed off streets, etc. It should be quite a party

Vancouver.

Spectacular setting bounded by water, mountains and the U.S. border. Not a big city by U.S. standards. 2 + million metro area. The largest city to host the winter games, it's about the size of Cleveland, but with a bigger downtown. Olympic events will take place in the city, the North Shore Mountains and in Whistler, a 90 minute drive north. Some people will love it here, some will hate it.

Security.

Easily the single biggest concern. Many people I know and work with are flat out scared about what might happen. But as you folks well know, you cannot let that affect your daily lives. Security will be everywhere and in many forms. I'm trusting they will do their jobs.

Canadian Athletes.

Canada has hosted the summer games in Montreal 76 and winter games in Calgary 88. In neither event did Canada win a gold medal. The pressure is on these kids to not only win many gold medals but to outright win the games.

Anyway, I'm hoping it's a lot of fun. The opening ceremonies are tonight. The big question is who's going to be the last torch bearer and light the cauldron. Many are guessing Gretzky.

I'll post some pics and some words about what's going on. If you want to look and read, great. Best of luck to your athletes

thanks,

d

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shame the first real news is the accidental death of a Georgian bobsledder.

Certain Gretzky will light the lamp.

Looking forward to some good hockey, that is, if NBC doesn't eff things up with tape delay and cutting in and out. It's completely lost on NBC that no one gives a sheet about the struggles athlete X had to get there with their sappy background crap rather than showing actual competition. NBC presents this like a 2 week soap opera.

I want to see Team USA do good but suspect they will be overmatched against Canada, Russia and Sweden(The King will steal some games). Other than Parise doubt any US forward could amke the Canadian team. Any idea if Jagr is playing?

The video of the luger's death is shocking in the sense that they built this track with steel support girders right on the edge of the track, so that if any sledder leaves it on the straightaway there's gonna be a serious problem, and right as it comes out of a curve and into a straightaway. Not sure if other tracks are built like this but would think this is something they would have considered when they built it.

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=6202459n

I'm not watching it but I don't watch the summer olympics either. I think dropping the amateur requirement really killed the spirit of the thing for me. Or maybe it was the end of the cold war. If it was both, then I think bringing back the amateur requirement would be more practical than bringing back the cold war.

I think dropping the amateur requirement really killed the spirit of the thing for me.

I hear there's a strong possibilty that NHL players will not take part in the next winter games. As for the other sports, not sure how many are pros. If professional means getting paid, then I guess a lot of them get paid in some form.

Anyway, Day 1 started off horribly with the accident in Whistler. You'd think track builders of this nature would have these things figured out. Sad.

Not sure how much of the opening ceremonies got televised in the US, but we got the full meal deal up here. Some parts were quite good, but some of it was just........what?

There are several pavilions around town from the various countries and Canadian provinces.....read huge beer tents and party places with massive screens so you can watch the games. Today seems like a good day to visit them and take in some culture.

:cheers:

If you look closely in the center of the picture you'll see the zip track start tower (blue) During the games, people can zip across Robson Sq for free. There will be huge lineups for this today. Fans of X-men movies might recognize the building on the left. One of the characters jumped and flew out of this building. Another grey day in Vancouver, no snow anywhere in the city. Hope all you folks with snow are keeping warm

DSCN0937.jpg?t=1266078119

Something many of you probably don't hear much about is women's hockey. The U.S. and Canada are the 2 powers in this sport and are probably on a collision course for the gold medal game. It's a great, but little known rivalry.

Yesterday the Canadian women edged Slovakia 18-0.

Today the U.S. women play China.

Good luck.

Hope to go to Lake Louise Alberta next year and Vancouver, one of the nicest places in Canada. Btw, the fishing in British Columbia is supposed to be awesome

We go once a year to Val-d'Or Canada for Walleye fishing. Place is absolutely amazing. Average size is like catching big ones on the lake I grew up on. Every year I've been their we've caught fish bigger than the year before.

18-0 was a disgrace. They should've called off the dogs at 10, but they didn't. I wathced the game from 6-0 on at the local bar, and wow, that was just sad.

US should kill China today.

18 - 0 is a bit extreme. I didn't see it and I don't know what olympic protocol is for that sport. Seems a bit much though.

We need an official watching the grass grow thread.. because that's more entertaining.

I have a simple rule. A sport is something that you win by scoring more (or less) than your opponent, and for the most part, the outcome is objective (highest score wins, scores are made by doing something). An athletic activity is something that takes being an athlete, but someone JUDGES whether you win or not, and is EXTREMELY subjective. With few exceptions, the Winter Olympics is a group of athletic activities, not sports. (Hockey is one big notable exception. Speed skating is another... fastest time wins)

Hockey = awesome.

Pay no mind to the Cinci fan my fellow Penguin loving friend. Their only off-season enjoyment is trying to keep Kentucky from over-ruling their city and the Carson Palmer corn hole classic. I don't count all their players running from the law as a sport. Same goes for Ocho Cinco attention whoring. :D

:cheers:

Archived