~~~***Official Winter Olympics Thread***~~~

vanDoug

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not trying to say ALL Canadians

But you have to admit there definately is an Anti-American feel in your country

I have seen it myself in the different canadian cities I have been to

The U.S. are the big boys on the block we call North America, maybe the world.

Along with a lot of admiration and respect, there's an element of envy and in some cases resentment. Unfortunately that last group, though very much a minority, can be quite vocal.

You might also find this with the Scottish and the English and the Kiwis and the Aussies, etc.

I've got a lot of great friends in the U.S. and love visiting your country.

cheers,

d

:cheers:

Not trying to say ALL Canadians

But you have to admit there definately is an Anti-American feel in your country

I have seen it myself in the different canadian cities I have been to

There is an Anti American feel in every country outside of the USA. Get a clue and stop bashing Canadians.

We need an official watching the grass grow thread.. because that's more entertaining.

I have a simple rule. A sport is something that you win by scoring more (or less) than your opponent, and for the most part, the outcome is objective (highest score wins, scores are made by doing something). An athletic activity is something that takes being an athlete, but someone JUDGES whether you win or not, and is EXTREMELY subjective. With few exceptions, the Winter Olympics is a group of athletic activities, not sports. (Hockey is one big notable exception. Speed skating is another... fastest time wins)

Don't forget about curling

This thread's kinda taking a nose dive.

Perhaps a change of tone is required.

How do you guys think the AL East will shape up this year?

:)

Must agree with the curling comment. It's probably one of those things you need to play to appreciate or like. At the recreational level it's generally a big pi$$up.

The men's hockey starts tomorrow. There are a few stacked teams, easily the marquee event of these 2 weeks.

Here's the Canadian mens hockey team's morning skate on the rink below Robson Sq.

DSCN0945.jpg?t=1266257564

Uhhhhh, Military

Jon this thread is about the Olympics. Not anything political.

We aren't having luck in this forum Doug. I should have left it where it was, sorry about that.

Maybe we will have better luck in the Lounge.

Jon this thread is about the Olympics. Not anything political.

We aren't having luck in this forum Doug. I should have left it where it was, sorry about that.

Maybe we will have better luck in the Lounge.

Thanks Max.

Maybe this could follow the Hot Chicks thread around the site.

;)

We need an official watching the grass grow thread.. because that's more entertaining.

I have a simple rule. A sport is something that you win by scoring more (or less) than your opponent, and for the most part, the outcome is objective (highest score wins, scores are made by doing something). An athletic activity is something that takes being an athlete, but someone JUDGES whether you win or not, and is EXTREMELY subjective. With few exceptions, the Winter Olympics is a group of athletic activities, not sports. (Hockey is one big notable exception. Speed skating is another... fastest time wins)

Kinda like football, or any other sport for that matter. Every sport has subjective calls.

The Skips of both U.S. curling teams are really screwing up. Bad calls cost us the womens' match with Japan and lousy throwing AND calling by Shuster cost us the mens' matches with Germany and Norway.

Why is it called curling? Should be hurling. Or wiping!

The "curl" refers to the motion of the rock across the ice, caused by the rotation a thrower puts on it. Sweeping takes the curl out once the proper line is established, by polishing the ice and reducing the friction between the ice and the rock.

I've done this. It's fun.

n683518021_1380669_7509.jpg

The "curl" refers to the motion of the rock across the ice, caused by the rotation a thrower puts on it. Sweeping takes the curl out once the proper line is established, by polishing the ice and reducing the friction between the ice and the rock.

My cousin and his wife do it. It's like bowling for people who would rather be cold than surrounded by inbreds.

If you want it to go straight why do you put a spin on it?

Archived