*** Key Off-season Dates ***

Integrity28

Feb. 24-March 2 -- NFL Scouting Combine

Feb. 25 -- Deadline for designating franchise players.

March 5 -- Free agency begins.

March 21-24 -- Annual owners meeting

Early April -- 2010 regular season schedule announced

April 22-24 -- 2010 NFL Draft

July 22 -- Deadline for franchise players to sign new contracts

Aug. 7 -- Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony, Canton, Ohio.

Aug. 8 -- Hall of Fame Game

Aug. 31 -- Roster cutdown to maximum of 75 players

Sept. 4 -- Roster cutdown to maximum of 53 players

Sept. 9-13 -- 2010 Kickoff Weekend

This off-season is going to be a long one... I thought these dates would be helpful for some. I am, as usual, looking forward to the draft. However, free agency - a time of the year where we have been spoiled the past few years as fans - looks to be pretty hum-drum this year. Hopefully, Tanny's plan is to use this year as an opportunity to extend the core of the team we already have. He's a pretty resourceful GM, I suspect he'll make at least one move that makes us all crazy in a good way.

This off-season is going to be a long one... I thought these dates would be helpful for some. I am, as usual, looking forward to the draft. However, free agency - a time of the year where we have been spoiled the past few years as fans - looks to be pretty hum-drum this year. Hopefully, Tanny's plan is to use this year as an opportunity to extend the core of the team we already have. He's a pretty resourceful GM, I suspect he'll make at least one move that makes us all crazy in a good way.

There will be almost no big FA

Hopefully, Tanny's plan is to use this year as an opportunity to extend the core of the team we already have. He's a pretty resourceful GM, I suspect he'll make at least one move that makes us all crazy in a good way.

Tannenbaum's built his reputation by trading up in the draft, and spending pretty freely in free agency. His hands are tied in free agency, and with only 1st, 2nd, 6th, and 7th round draft picks, he really doesn't have too much to work with on draft day, either.

I'd be very happy if he managed to actually trade back and gain a pick or two in rounds 3-5.

I do trust him to find any favorable loopholes in the uncapped year agreement, and use them to extend guys like Revis and Mangold.

Tannenbaum's built his reputation by trading up in the draft, and spending pretty freely in free agency. His hands are tied in free agency, and with only 1st, 2nd, 6th, and 7th round draft picks, he really doesn't have too much to work with on draft day, either.

I'd be very happy if he managed to actually trade back and gain a pick or two in rounds 3-5.

I do trust him to find any favorable loopholes in the uncapped year agreement, and use them to extend guys like Revis and Mangold.

Welcome to my world. This is how my team does things EVERY off-season. It's really not that bad. Spending like drunken sailors is over-rated. ;)

Welcome to my world. This is how my team does things EVERY off-season. It's really not that bad. Spending like drunken sailors is over-rated. ;)

Do you trade back a lot? The Pats do and it doesn't seem to work for them.

The Jets do need more depth, so they're gonna have to relax a bit with trading up. It's hard to knock Tannenbaum though because he hits on almost all of his trade-ups: Revis, Harris, Keller, Greene, Sanchez, etc.

Agreed on all fronts.

Plus, don't forget cut players. I believe there will be a lot of attractive cut players out there as teams will try to save money in the uncapped year (with no salary cap floor) rather than spend money.

I think that he will build up the depth of the team this year in the draft while extending some of the teams core players, and make a splash in free agency next year when the whole CBA mess is resolved.

Do you trade back a lot? The Pats do and it doesn't seem to work for them.

The Jets do need more depth, so they're gonna have to relax a bit with trading up. It's hard to knock Tannenbaum though because he hits on almost all of his trade-ups: Revis, Harris, Keller, Greene, Sanchez, etc.

Colbert's more of a trade up guy himself. Most times we'll stand pat at our pick unless someone high on the Steeler board slips. A situation like Troy P falling comes to mind.

I don't see any trade up this year though unless the UT DT or Fla CB drops a bit.

Usually Steelers first pick is pretty predictable. Not so much this year as we could go OL, DL, S or CB with RB as the dark horse imo.

Since Tomlin joined us we've been mostly a BPA drafting team.

I'd like to see the Jets accumulate more picks and draft for depth as well. this is supposedly a very deep draft according to most guru's.

Three Lombardi's say otherwise.

Ha!

I suspect he was referring to Pats recent drafts.

FWIW this draft is where BB and co. supposedly wanted to have the extra picks beause it's deep. He needs to re-vamp your D so hitting big on at least 2 of the first 4 picks is a must for you guys imo.

Ha!

I suspect he was referring to Pats recent drafts.

Do you know what team has done the best regarding the draft from 2004-2008? The 49rs.

Fourteen players drafted between 2004-2008 are starters.

Good teams have a harder time drafting.

1. They draft later. The superbowl winners 1st round pick is only one spot before last years worst teams 2nd round pick.

2. They have more talent. If you need to be a better nose tackle than Wilfork or a better WR than Moss or Welker to make the team you are more likely to be cut than if you were drafted by the Lions or 49ers.

3. BB isn't afraid to cut a drafted player and keep an UDFA or grab someone else's cut player off the waiver wire. Other teams will keep their drafted players to avoid "looking bad."

4. BB often uses the draft picks to trade for players. Moss, Welker etc.

While NE doesn't look as good as the 49ers on some draft metric. I would say that NE's player personel stratigy is working better than most teams .

Do you know what team has done the best regarding the draft from 2004-2008? The 49rs.

Fourteen players drafted between 2004-2008 are starters.

Good teams have a harder time drafting.

1. They draft later. The superbowl winners 1st round pick is only one spot before last years worst teams 2nd round pick.

2. They have more talent. If you need to be a better nose tackle than Wilfork or a better WR than Moss or Welker to make the team you are more likely to be cut than if you were drafted by the Lions or 49ers.

3. BB isn't afraid to cut a drafted player and keep an UDFA or grab someone else's cut player off the waiver wire. Other teams will keep their drafted players to avoid "looking bad."

4. BB often uses the draft picks to trade for players. Moss, Welker etc.

While NE doesn't look as good as the 49ers on some draft metric. I would say that NE's player personel stratigy is working better than most teams .

1: I wasn't comparing your Pats drafting to any specific team.

2: But you do make some very valid points.

But the point I was trying to get across... And I believe that you would even agree is that the Pats defense has had a big dropoff in talent in recent seasons. And the old addage that Defense wins championships has applied to your team just as much as any IMO.

I'd like you to give your opinion on what the Pats must do to get back to the level of defense required for you team to get back to being SB contenders if ya don't mind.

And FTR I don't believe that only the bad teams get good to great players out of the draft. That's why teams have huge scouting dpts now moreso than ever. There are very good players to be had no matter which selection you have. A fan of a team that drafted Tom Brady shoud be fully aware of that.

1: I wasn't comparing your Pats drafting to any specific team.

2: But you do make some very valid points.

But the point I was trying to get across... And I believe that you would even agree is that the Pats defense has had a big dropoff in talent in recent seasons. And the old addage that Defense wins championships has applied to your team just as much as any IMO.

I'd like you to give your opinion on what the Pats must do to get back to the level of defense required for you team to get back to being SB contenders if ya don't mind.

I would agree that NE2008 and NE2009 was not as talented as NE2007.

I think NE most pressing need on defense is a pure pass rusher. I would love to see us pick up Peppers. If NE can get pressure on the QB a bit more consistantly than most of the problems in the secondary will be solved.

And while yes, it is possible to get good players in the 6th or 7th round or even UDFA, in general more good players are drafted in the 1st round than the 7th.

I would agree that NE2008 and NE2009 was not as talented as NE2007.

I think NE most pressing need on defense is a pure pass rusher. I would love to see us pick up Peppers. If NE can get pressure on the QB a bit more consistantly than most of the problems in the secondary will be solved.

And while yes, it is possible to get good players in the 6th or 7th round or even UDFA, in general more good players are drafted in the 1st round than the 7th.

Whatever happened to Richard Seymour? I always liked that guy.

• 3 weeks later...

If we watch the guys getting released...We have one for the taking in Antrell Rolle...I love Rhodes, but he doesnt fit in with Rex...Rolle=27 yr old ball hawking safety...

Sign Rolle...Trade Rhodes for Picks...Use those picks on Cromartie, or Asomugha...

Draft Tate or Dunlap...

Or even Hardesty to replace Jones...

But signing Rolle, it can clean up a lot of holes...

Archived