Vince Wilfork tagged

dolphann4life

:Typotux:http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/22/wilfork-gets-his-franchise-tag/

Wilfork gets his franchise tag

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on February 22, 2010 12:58 PM ET

We've read a lot about New England having a "tough decision" to make about possibly franchising Vince Wilfork, but the decision always seemed like a matter of when, not if.

Shalise Manza Young of the Providence Journal tweeted that she's "hearing" that Monday will be the day it happens.

A short while later, Comcast Sports New England's Tom Curran confirmed that Wilfork has indeed been tagged. The paperwork was filed Monday.

Curran spoke with Wilfork's agent Kennard McGuire earlier Monday. McGuire simply said they are taking things "one day at a time."

Using the tag now, of course, doesn't prevent a long-term deal from occurring later this offseason, which is Wilfork's ultimate goal. The Patriots just had to make sure that long-term contract didn't come with any other team first.

Permalink 17 Comments Latest stories in: Latest News and Rumors, NFL Mobile Exclusives - Rumors, New England Patriots, Top Stories

i dont think it's a slap in the face at all. it's part of playing in the nfl. it makes all the sense in the world for the pats to tag wilfork. only an idiot would have not seen this coming. boo hoo, they just guaranteed him the average salary of the top 5 dt's in the league. i wish someone would slap me in the face with that.

i dont think it's a slap in the face at all. it's part of playing in the nfl. it makes all the sense in the world for the pats to tag wilfork. only an idiot would have not seen this coming. boo hoo, they just guaranteed him the average salary of the top 5 dt's in the league. i wish someone would slap me in the face with that.

Hey. thats not nice. you stole that out of my ex wifes Match.com add.

False

Wilfork and agent cannot negotiate with other clubs UNTIL he signs the non exclusive tender. The whole premise of that type of tag is to seek out other offers.

:Nuts::lol:

By signing the tender, that means that he signed a one year contract with the club for said amount. If he signs, he would no longer be able to negotiate with anybody.

Archived