Chargers Release Tomlinson

oxscott

he's toast

I tend to agree, but...

Dunno. What's the situation with Leon? If he does come here at this stage of his career, I would think it would be in a Leon type role. If Leon comes back strong, we could have two backs that do essentially the same thing.

I'd see him more as a cheaper, more versatile replacement for Thomas Jones. I think TJ has more left in the tank than LT, but Jones' price tag and LT's ability to catch out of the backfield could make him an interesting short term replacement. He was still being used by San Diego at the goal line last year, too. His skill set would actually be a nice bridge between Shonn and Leon. Right now, you have TJ and Greene essentially doing the same thing.

Newsday article:

Surprise, surprise (not), Chargers release Tomlinson

13 m ago By By Bob Glauber

The news does not come as a shock, because there have been hints for weeks. But the Chargers have now officially parted ways with running back LaDainian Tomlinson.

Chargers President Dean Spanos met with Tomlinson today and told the 30-year-old running back of the decision.

"This is a part of the business that I hate, and it

A veteran RB who can catch passes, at price cheaper than Jones? Sign me up.

That would be epicness. We should trade Jones to the Chargers for Cromartie. And then we sign LT. Them we'll have three awesome backs.

Shonn Greene as the starter, he'll do great next year, as he has shown in the playoffs.

LT as second string. Like you said he won't cost lot's of money and a 1 or 2 year deal will be perfect, LT can catch and has the experience.

Leon as third string. We need to save Leon so he can return to become the special teams beast he once was. Brad Smith was okay at kick return but Leon is so much better. And it's about time we revive the old Leon wildcat.

I wonder if LT will make another one of these?

YkmyNzJQN0I

"Now pick up the phone.....call my agent......get an offer from the Seahawks......ask for more money...........sign for $1.2 million........LT slide, electric glide!"

if he signs with the Jets it'll have to be called something else....

I understand the case for saving money with trade TJ and sign LT, but is LT really a better option at this point in his career?

LT is a shell of himself. He's banged up a lot and honestly, looks worthless at times. TJ has done nothing but produced. Now who knows if that will continue, but I think LT is done...like really done.

I wouldnt be shocked if he retired. Didnt him and his wife have a baby that they've been trying to have for years? I could see him going out gracefully to be a father.

I understand the case for saving money with trade TJ and sign LT, but is LT really a better option at this point in his career?

LT is a shell of himself. He's banged up a lot and honestly, looks worthless at times. TJ has done nothing but produced. Now who knows if that will continue, but I think LT is done...like really done.

I wouldnt be shocked if he retired. Didnt him and his wife have a baby that they've been trying to have for years? I could see him going out gracefully to be a father.

Take him away from that crappy O-Line in SD and put him behind this one, and we'll see if he's "really done."

He isn't meant to be a feature back anymore. I think he would flourish as a #2/situational back on this team. He can block and catch passes too.

Forget Jones and his bonus. Bring in LT.

For me, it's a money thing and the ability to catch passes.

Tomlinson, Jones, or whomever veteran RB out there will be viewed as the No. 2 back at most IMO. So, for a No. 2 back, if Tomlinson isn't done then he may be a cheaper option than Jones.

Now, if he wants what Jones is getting now then you can forget it.

I can't imagine that he plans on retiring at this point. Maybe if he doesn't get an offer he likes he will later in the offseason, but if he was seriously considering it this move never would have happened, as both he and the team would have been more than happy for him to retire as a Charger.

I can't imagine that he plans on retiring at this point. Maybe if he doesn't get an offer he likes he will later in the offseason, but if he was seriously considering it this move never would have happened, as both he and the team would have been more than happy for him to retire as a Charger.

If anything, this move means even more that Tomlinson wants to continue playing.

The Chargers could have cut him in March when his bonus is due. Instead, they cut him early which allows him more time to negotiate with other teams.

Tomlinson, Jones, or whomever veteran RB out there will be viewed as the No. 2 back at most IMO. So, for a No. 2 back, if Tomlinson isn't done then he may be a cheaper option than Jones.

Me too, and I don't really give a crap about the money. But the Jets might. If they come to Jones looking for him to take a paycut, and he says no (I wouldn't blame him), they could opt to cut him. In that scenario, LT would be a decent, more versatile replacement.

That said, I prefer they keep Jones. I definitely think he has a couple quality 100-150 carry seasons left in the tank. He could be a nice, short term starter if need be, and he's a positive locker room presence.

Take him away from that crappy O-Line in SD and put him behind this one, and we'll see if he's "really done."

He isn't meant to be a feature back anymore. I think he would flourish as a #2/situational back on this team. He can block and catch passes too.

Forget Jones and his bonus. Bring in LT.

Maybe that will help, but he has problems staying healthy and he's just clearly lost a step. Much rather have Leon to be the guy catching the ball out of the back field in that role. He's got game changing ability. That compliments Greene well IMO...not an old broken down guy who's got the fundamentals down.

I see this point. Just think we have good RB's assuming Leon is the same...but even if not...RB's are a dime a dozen and we can find young strong fast RB's for cheap. Dont slow this machine down by signing and old beat up vet.

You really think he's going to get the money he expects, I dont. He's looked like a turd out there for awhile. Is any team that desperate for a RB. And he seems like a prideful guy that wouldnt be happy about being a back up.

It's nice to have a RB that can catch the ball, it's a hell of a lot nicer to have a RB that can run the ball. LT is the former, Jones is the latter.

Greene can run the ball better than Jones. Conversly, we don't know that we have a good pass-catching back out of the backfield on the roster with Leon's health in doubt. LT could fill that void if we need him to and give Sanchez another weapon.

So we're clear, I'm NOT IN FAVOR of cutting Jones and getting Tomlinson.

I just recognize that Tomlinson my be a viable Plan B if the Jets part ways with Jones.

I would also put Jamal Lewis into that category.

Ultimately, I'd prefer to have Jones at a better salary.

So we're clear, I'm NOT IN FAVOR of cutting Jones and getting Tomlinson.

I just recognize that Tomlinson my be a viable Plan B if the Jets part ways with Jones.

I would also put Jamal Lewis into that category.

Ultimately, I'd prefer to have Jones at a better salary.

Wierd that not many ppl here mention drafting a RB in mid to late rounds. Building your depth through the draft is the best way to go imo. Not jumping at every 'big name' that gets released.

Wierd that not many ppl here mention drafting a RB in mid to late rounds. Building your depth through the draft is the best way to go imo. Not jumping at every 'big name' that gets released.

Who was the last "big name" free agent RB that put up great numbers with his new team?

If we had those picks, I might.

For 2010, I'd prefer the Jets hold onto TJ as Shonn Greene's backup, with Leon getting a specific cut of the load, too. Once Greene has a year under his belt as a starter, the Jets will have a better idea of what they might want/need at the position. If the Jets don't want to pay TJ, and can get an LT as a decent price, I think that's a decent way to go, too.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Jets spend a late pick on a FB who can catch, though. T-Rich time is almost up.

Archived