Best/Most Authentic Southern BBQ Sauce?

Guido Monzino

MrB.jpg

My understanding is that bbq sauce is the same all over the South, a sweetened tomato based sauce, except for the Carolinas. Within this region a holy war is being fought between the tomato bbq sauce people and the mustard bbq sauce people. I've never tried mustard, but I have heard the legend.

01-26-sc-bbq-map.jpg

MrB.jpg

My understanding is that bbq sauce is the same all over the South, a sweetened tomato based sauce, except for the Carolinas. Within this region a holy war is being fought between the tomato bbq sauce people and the mustard bbq sauce people. I've never tried mustard, but I have heard the legend.

01-26-sc-bbq-map.jpg

BBQ sauce and how you prepare/cook the food are the two most imporant things in BBQ...especially in places like Kansas City, Texas, North Carolina etc.

If you're looking for a kick to your BBQ you can go to any of these places and look for the best restaurant to go to. I've eaten BBQ from NC and Texas....both great if you're not looking to compare whats best. Never had or been to KC but I heard that they're kick ass out there as well.

Any help here would be appreciated. Not too spicy, as looking to use it for pulled pork.

Like a home made from scratch or something you can buy in a store? Truth is a recipe you like you can eventually tweak to be your own is your best bet. I like it a little hotter than most, try and burn some calories off while I gorge myself.

Like a home made from scratch or something you can buy in a store? Truth is a recipe you like you can eventually tweak to be your own is your best bet. I like it a little hotter than most, try and burn some calories off while I gorge myself.

Just curious if there are any worthwhile brands that I can pick up at the store when I don't feel like making my own. I usually go that route, but I'm getting lazier with age. If there's anything someone would recommend, I'd give it a shot.

For a spicy Texas style, I've found that Famous Dave's Devil's Spit is delicious. But beyond that, I've never tasted a good bottled sauce.

I like mine with a tangyness. Get KC Masterpiece BBQ sauce. Pour the entire bottle into a bowl, then fill up the bottle halfway with orange juice (with pulp) and then pour into the bowl with the bbq sauce. Add a bit of adobo, pepper, mustard and a touch of honey and mix it all to your taste.

Orange juice is the key though. Some of the best bbq sauce you can make

Just curious if there are any worthwhile brands that I can pick up at the store when I don't feel like making my own. I usually go that route, but I'm getting lazier with age. If there's anything someone would recommend, I'd give it a shot.

For a spicy Texas style, I've found that Famous Dave's Devil's Spit is delicious. But beyond that, I've never tasted a good bottled sauce.

Not sure, but I would guess Masterpiece the smokey flavor one if I had to guess. A lot of the time in the summer I'll throw some chops in the smoker, thats nice too.

Ms Crusher and I get to Famous Daves about once a month and thats about the heat I like with my barbecue. To be honest I sometimes cut it with a sweeter one when I start on my second pig.

I like mine with a tangyness. Get KC Masterpiece BBQ sauce. Pour the entire bottle into a bowl, then fill up the bottle halfway with orange juice (with pulp) and then pour into the bowl with the bbq sauce. Add a bit of adobo, pepper, mustard and a touch of honey and mix it all to your taste.

Orange juice is the key though. Some of the best bbq sauce you can make

Thats what Im talking about, some creative food doctoring. That actually sounds real good, might have to do that dance this summer.l

Not sure, but I would guess Masterpiece the smokey flavor one if I had to guess. A lot of the time in the summer I'll throw some chops in the smoker, thats nice too.

Ms Crusher and I get to Famous Daves about once a month and thats about the heat I like with my barbecue. To be honest I sometimes cut it with a sweeter one when I start on my second pig.

Famous Daves is a bit watery dont you think?

Thats what Im talking about, some creative food doctoring. That actually sounds real good, might have to do that dance this summer.l

If you bring me a jetnation famous hoagie at Joes Tailgate in a few months I'll make you a half gallon of the sauce myself! lol. Make it good though, the one that Ms. Crusher has banned you from eating. Hopefully Ms. Villain will not read this because she picks at the foods that I eat as well.

If you bring me a jetnation famous hoagie at Joes Tailgate in a few months I'll make you a half gallon of the sauce myself! lol. Make it good though, the one that Ms. Crusher has banned you from eating. Hopefully Ms. Villain will not read this because she picks at the foods that I eat as well.

If i remember correctly Ms Villain was a huge fan of my steak.

Archived