Whats your favorite dish to prepare?

villain_the_foe

Given that Crusher and Joe have me talking about all this food I figured to make this thread.

What is your favorite dish to make?

I actually have a few but I'll name two for now.

1. Stuffed baked potatoes and BBQ Ribs.

Ribs:

Boil ribs in seasoned water (I use adobo and garlic). Once done I place in a baking bowl and I drench them in my BBQ sauce (Any good BBQ sauce, and I add orange juice with lots of pulp, honey, adobo, garlic, pepper, hot sauce and mustard. Mix all together). Place ribs in oven and bake for 30 mins. Take out and then place in broiler for 5-7 mins to get that crispy top on the ribs.

Stuffed Baked potatoes:

Bake your potatoes until done. Then cut a large circle into the top of the potato skin and pull off that skin. Gut the potato with a spoon and place in mixing bowl. Dont break the potato skin with spoon while gutting. Add sour cream, garlic, bacon that you've prepared and crumbled, add the bushy part of broccoli spears and melted butter. Mix in mixing bowl until completely creamy, then add shredded cheese to the mix and lightly mix. Then place contents back into the empty potato skins and bake for 15 mins.

2nd. Mac and Cheese and honey fried chicken.

Mac and cheese:

Boil Mac. Dont completely boild Mac, leave it slightly underboiled. place in baking pan and add pepper, scrambled eggs, and your choice of cheese. I use sharp cheddar and moterey Jack some cut into small blocks and the rest shredded. mix the contents and then even the top out. Then take seasoned bread crumbs and sprinkle the crumbs on top of the mac and cheese to your liking. I use a good amount seasoned breadcrumbs. Place in oven and bake for 20-30 mins. Done!

Honey fried chicken:

Make your seasoning. I use flower, paprika, pepper, garlic powder, adobo, sazon all in a plastic bag. Scramble an egg and some milk in a bowl. Dip your chicken in the egg/milk and then place in the flower bag and shake. Fry until its golden brown. I tend not to deep fry, but have a pan big enough to where the chicken is almost completely covered when frying. I also use Canola oil mixed with a 4th of olive oil for flavor. Once done place on paper towel to absorb excess oil. Place fried chicken an a bowl or pan and drench honey all over the chicken to your liking. Let excess honey drip off and place on your plate.

Whats your favorite dish? It'll be cool that you explain your dish in case others would like to make it.

Enjoy!

My eggplant parm is the t$ts! I think i typed out the recipe in a thread on here a while ago and it is too late to do it now, but here are a few of the keys why mine rocks.

Eggplant prep:

First they need to be skinned

then sliced long ways (not in rounds) very thin, i use a mini deli slicer to get thin uniform slices.

Then, and this is a big trick nobody knows about, i have a technique for drawing out the bitterness in the eggplant. I pull out a baking sheet or board, lay down 2-3 layers of paper towel, then lay out a layer of slices, then sprinkle a little salt, then layer more paper towels, and repeat, stacking the eggplant betwwen layers of paper towels. Then i place another board or baking sheet on top and weight it down by placing a bunch of heavy objects on top of it. Let it sit there for 30 minutes. All the bitter moisture draws out into the paper.

You can then dredge and fry them, progresso italian breadcrumbs work best

Cheese

buy the best, especially the ricotta. If you have access to a high end cheese shop that has fresh ricotta then that is the way to go. Mix in some raw eggs and chopped parsely and a little salt, sometimes i add a pinch of sugar too.

Layer

i try for at least 3 layers of eggplant, with the sauce, ricotta, mozzarella, and grated cheese between each eggplant layer.

My eggplant parm is the t$ts! I think i typed out the recipe in a thread on here a while ago and it is too late to do it now, but here are a few of the keys why mine rocks.

Eggplant prep:

First they need to be skinned

then sliced long ways (not in rounds) very thin, i use a mini deli slicer to get thin uniform slices.

Then, and this is a big trick nobody knows about, i have a technique for drawing out the bitterness in the eggplant. I pull out a baking sheet or board, lay down 2-3 layers of paper towel, then lay out a layer of slices, then sprinkle a little salt, then layer more paper towels, and repeat, stacking the eggplant betwwen layers of paper towels. Then i place another board or baking sheet on top and weight it down by placing a bunch of heavy objects on top of it. Let it sit there for 30 minutes. All the bitter moisture draws out into the paper.

You can then dredge and fry them, progresso italian breadcrumbs work best

Cheese

buy the best, especially the ricotta. If you have access to a high end cheese shop that has fresh ricotta then that is the way to go. Mix in some raw eggs and chopped parsely and a little salt, sometimes i add a pinch of sugar too.

Layer

i try for at least 3 layers of eggplant, with the sauce, ricotta, mozzarella, and grated cheese between each eggplant layer.

NICE!

Given that Crusher and Joe have me talking about all this food I figured to make this thread.

What is your favorite dish to make?

I actually have a few but I'll name two for now.

1. Stuffed baked potatoes and BBQ Ribs.

Ribs:

Boil ribs in seasoned water (I use adobo and garlic). Once done I place in a baking bowl and I drench them in my BBQ sauce (Any good BBQ sauce, and I add orange juice with lots of pulp, honey, adobo, garlic, pepper, hot sauce and mustard. Mix all together). Place ribs in oven and bake for 30 mins. Take out and then place in broiler for 5-7 mins to get that crispy top on the ribs.

!

That sauce sounds good. I should try some orange juice. I usually dry rub them with brown sugar and spices and then sauce them near the end. You just bake the ribs on a baking sheet in the oven? Doesn't that get them a little dry? I usually do it in a foil packet. It keeps them very moist. Then, I re-sauce them and, like you, I throw them in the broiler or straight on the grill to crisp the outside. Cooking times I use are way longer. For ribs I find the lower and slower I cook them the better. My favorite ones are the little ones in the tomato sauce though. Those are the best, but it takes at least 3-5 hours before they are done.

Roman Style Chicken Recipe that I stole from the Food Network...

Ingredients

• 4 skinless chicken breast halves, with ribs
  • 2 skinless chicken thighs, with bones
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus 1 teaspoon
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus 1 teaspoon
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1 red bell pepper, sliced
  • 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
  • 3 ounces prosciutto, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes
  • 1/2 cup white wine
  • 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
  • 1 teaspoon fresh oregano leaves
  • 1/2 cup chicken stock
  • 2 tablespoons capers
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves

Directions

Season the chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. In a heavy, large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. When the oil is hot, cook the chicken until browned on both sides. Remove from the pan and set aside.

Keeping the same pan over medium heat, add the peppers and prosciutto and cook until the peppers have browned and the prosciutto is crisp, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, wine, and herbs. Using a wooden spoon, scrape the browned bits off the bottom of the pan. Return the chicken to the pan, add the stock, and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the chicken is cooked through, about 20 to 30 minutes.

If serving immediately, add the capers and the parsley. Stir to combine and serve. If making ahead of time, transfer the chicken and sauce to a storage container, cool, and refrigerate. The next day, reheat the chicken to a simmer over medium heat. Stir in the capers and the parsley and serve.

That sauce sounds good. I should try some orange juice. I usually dry rub them with brown sugar and spices and then sauce them near the end. You just bake the ribs on a baking sheet in the oven? Doesn't that get them a little dry? I usually do it in a foil packet. It keeps them very moist. Then, I re-sauce them and, like you, I throw them in the broiler or straight on the grill to crisp the outside. Cooking times I use are way longer. For ribs I find the lower and slower I cook them the better. My favorite ones are the little ones in the tomato sauce though. Those are the best, but it takes at least 3-5 hours before they are done.

Just so you know the specifics. For every bottle of BBQ Sauce you add a half bottle of OJ, then you can season to your liking. The addition to the orange juice is phenomenal.

As for the cooking, I bake the ribs in a baking pan. There's enough of the rib sauce in the pan to keep the ribs from really drying out. The OJ slightly thins the sauce. I've never tried a foil pack though,....could be better. I'll try that out though. Do you boil your ribs first or is the entire cooking process in the oven?

Roman Style Chicken Recipe that I stole from the Food Network...

Ingredients

• 4 skinless chicken breast halves, with ribs
  • 2 skinless chicken thighs, with bones
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus 1 teaspoon
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus 1 teaspoon
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1 red bell pepper, sliced
  • 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
  • 3 ounces prosciutto, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes
  • 1/2 cup white wine
  • 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
  • 1 teaspoon fresh oregano leaves
  • 1/2 cup chicken stock
  • 2 tablespoons capers
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves

Directions

Season the chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. In a heavy, large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. When the oil is hot, cook the chicken until browned on both sides. Remove from the pan and set aside.

Keeping the same pan over medium heat, add the peppers and prosciutto and cook until the peppers have browned and the prosciutto is crisp, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, wine, and herbs. Using a wooden spoon, scrape the browned bits off the bottom of the pan. Return the chicken to the pan, add the stock, and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the chicken is cooked through, about 20 to 30 minutes.

If serving immediately, add the capers and the parsley. Stir to combine and serve. If making ahead of time, transfer the chicken and sauce to a storage container, cool, and refrigerate. The next day, reheat the chicken to a simmer over medium heat. Stir in the capers and the parsley and serve.

This sounds good.

****tacos

You can use either hard shelled tacos or tortilla. Doest really matter, whatever you prefer. Typical sides, cheese, lettuce, diced tomatoes, salsa, whatever you like in your tacos.

Then you work up a nice doodoo and poop in a bowl.

Serve it buffet style and let everyone sculpt their own ****taco. Depending on what you've eaten for that week, this is a very tasty meal.

****tacos

You can use either hard shelled tacos or tortilla. Doest really matter, whatever you prefer. Typical sides, cheese, lettuce, diced tomatoes, salsa, whatever you like in your tacos.

Serve it buffet style and let everyone sculpt their own ****taco. Depending on what you've eaten for that week, this is a very tasty meal.

When can I come over? Let me know alteast a day before so I can eat a sack of white castle hamburgers and a extra large wendy's chocolate frosty. I know that I'll certainly be able to contribute to the *****tacos.

After much experimenting, my wife finally approves my ribs. There are several ways, but this is easy and I think it's how restaurants do it. Essentially it's the method used by Alton Brown. All the guys on the BBQ shows make it sound hard and it isn't. You don't have to spend all day over a wood fire marinating and praying and singing songs to your ribs. Just do this:

-rinse, cut into 1/3 rack servings.

-remove thin white membrane under the ribs...usually peels with fingers if you can grab it.

- no need to boil. I used to do this, but not anymore.

-apply rub of your choosing

-wrap tightly in foil.

-bake, 275 or 300 for about 2.5hrs.

-they'll be essentially done at this point. Throw them on the grill for some color and slather good sauce on them.

...really easy, and comes out just like the restaurants do it.

Edited: Added membrane step. Thanks to 27thedominator for the reminder!

****tacos

Sounds pretty crappy if you ask me.

Just so you know the specifics. For every bottle of BBQ Sauce you add a half bottle of OJ, then you can season to your liking. The addition to the orange juice is phenomenal.

As for the cooking, I bake the ribs in a baking pan. There's enough of the rib sauce in the pan to keep the ribs from really drying out. The OJ slightly thins the sauce. I've never tried a foil pack though,....could be better. I'll try that out though. Do you boil your ribs first or is the entire cooking process in the oven?

Sounds like your sauce provides the liquid. I don't know if the foil pack method I (as described by Jerry K) is better, but it's probably easier. You just don't have to worry about them. Biggest problem is waiting. I usually end up eating something else in the meantime. When you're done you throw out the foil and barely have to clean up.

After much experimenting, my wife finally approves my ribs. There are several ways, but this is easy and I think it's how restaurants do it. Essentially it's the method used by Alton Brown. All the guys on the BBQ shows make it sound hard and it isn't. You don't have to spend all day over a wood fire marinating and praying and singing songs to your ribs. Just do this:

-wrap tightly in foil.

-they'll be essentially done at this point. Throw them on the grill for some color and slather good sauce on them.

Yep. That's pretty much it. You've got to be sure to remove the membrane so that the dry rub gets in there. I just mix up some brown sugar, cayenne and spices. If I don't grill them I just leave the pack open in the oven for a few minutes at the end.

-remove thin white membrane under the ribs...usually peels with fingers if you can grab it.

-wrap tightly in foil.

Edited: Added membrane step. Thanks to 27thedominator for the reminder!

Yeah this method will give you good results, no smoke ring or smoke flavor, but you don't always need that.

And boiling them first is just bad news bears man. I don't care if you season the water or whatever, you are draining away flavor when you boil them.

Yeah this method will give you good results, no smoke ring or smoke flavor, but you don't always need that.

And boiling them first is just bad news bears man. I don't care if you season the water or whatever, you are draining away flavor when you boil them.

I used to do the oven-braising method (with apple juice and bourbon) and would get rave reviews, but after getting my first smoker, I came to realize there is no substitute (when done right). Most people don't realize this, but ribs are not actually supposed to "fall off the bone", but should be cooked until they pass the tear test - when holding two adjacent bones in the middle of the slab, they should offer some initial reistance, but should start to tear when pulled apart.

You are 100% spot on that boiling ribs is a sin that should be punishable by having your tastebuds scraped off with a rusty knife.

• 2 weeks later...
Thx dominator, I do remove the membrane and forgot to add that.
Speaking of membranes, I grew up in a house-hold that ate calf brains and wrapped intestines around livers at Easter. My Mom and my A-Grandmother would cook for days. It's all good, and it just speaks to the American spirit to make do with what you've got. Funny how these dishes are now a delicacy.

There was some crazy thing called, er, anyone Sicilian would know it. Cappozelli, I think. A sheep's head shaved in half (because peasants couldn't afford lamb) and stuffed with breadcrumbs. I think the point of it was the cheek meat. I still dream about the eyeballs.

Archived