Jets might release Thomas Jones

Jetfan13

I'm with you on this one. I think the uncapped year makes this a no-brainer. Let TJ play out his deal and if you get 60% of his 2010 production you're happy since Greene will undoubtedly carry more of the load and hopefully you get a full and productive season out of Leon on top of that.

But you hate Thomas Jones because he doesnt lift the toilet seat when he takes a leak.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is stupid.

1. We don't know how Washington is going to do after the serious leg injury he had.

2. We all know Green is going to be the future RB of this team, but he has a problem staying on the field and holding onto the ball.

We need Jones' leadership IMO. One more year, and then we can say he's gone. Not just yet.

Its not stupid, we can get a RB in the draft, trade or FA. Dont get me wrong, I wouldnt mind Jones staying, but he should be the backup to Greene. Greene took a few shots in the ribs which kepted him off the field, true, and he has fumbled a few times, also true.

Down the stretch of the reg season and especially in the playoffs Greene was unstoppable and didnt fumble once. He is a rookie. Its not like he fumbles like McFadden or that guy from Minn.

Clearly, Jones didn't take the beating most RB's do when they're young, which explains in part why he's been effective even when hitting the dreaded 30.

Still, no matter how few carries a RB has had, he simply loses a lot of his physical gifts at a certain point. Jones is still effective as a straight-ahead runner and holds onto the ball, but he's always been a guy who takes what the OL gives him, and now you're talking about a guy who does that AND is starting to lack the burst through the hole that can put him past the second level.

I like Jones as a locker-room leader and a veteran presence. But for any RB at his age, history has shown that RB's hit a wall. He's not immune to that.

I agree and disagree with you at the same time. Thomas Jones can't hit the hole anymore? How about the game against Houston? What about the one against Buffalo when he broke a 80 yarder or something like that? What about the game against Tampa?

I know all of those teams I named are not so good, but Thomas Jones is a player that Rex Ryan trusts. He's consistent, durable, and a leader. What more can you ask for in a RB?

Its not stupid, we can get a RB in the draft, trade or FA. Dont get me wrong, I wouldnt mind Jones staying, but he should be the backup to Greene. Greene took a few shots in the ribs which kepted him off the field, true, and he has fumbled a few times, also true.

Down the stretch of the reg season and especially in the playoffs Greene was unstoppable and didnt fumble once. He is a rookie. Its not like he fumbles like McFadden or that guy from Minn.

We can get a RB from Jetnation if we wanted (Unless the rules apply to that). The point is getting a young RB is not what we want. We have one already in Greene. Thomas Jones is the most consistent player RB we had since Curtis Martin. As much as I love Shonn Greene, I would like him to play for an entire season.

I don't want Thomas Jones on the Jets for more than one year. We just don't know whether Washington can come back and be as quick as he used to be, and we don't know if SG can carry the load like we think he can.

It's about time they thought of letting him go. It really wouldnt bother me 1 bit. Greene and Leon give us a better one two punch.

How can you possibly know that? Please, tell me. Leon Washington had his LEG BROKEN, and Greene has fumbled numerous times. Does anyone remember when Jason Taylor literally took the ball away from him?

I'm not even going to bother anymore. Thomas Jones' unappreciation is unreal.

How can you possibly know that? Please, tell me. Leon Washington had his LEG BROKEN, and Greene has fumbled numerous times. Does anyone remember when Jason Taylor literally took the ball away from him?

I'm not even going to bother anymore. Thomas Jones' unappreciation is unreal.

I agree Ghost TJ has done all but leave his nuts out on the field for the JETS. 2 seasons AFC leading rusher and top TD RB in the league. The TJ hate is not only unreal it sickens me.

4th and 1. Greene played most of the 2nd half. However, Ryan calls #20 to gain that yard for the game. That's trust.

I'd say playing Shonn Greene for most of the 2nd half of a road playoff game constitutes a lot more "trust" than acknowledging that Thomas Jones excels at falling down after a two-yard gain does.

I'd say playing Shonn Greene for most of the 2nd half of a road playoff game constitutes a lot more "trust" than acknowledging that Thomas Jones excels at falling down after a two-yard gain does.

Umm.. WRONG! Greene was literally running over people the entire game. Ryan didn't want to put Jones in, because Greene was playing too good. However, when it game to one yard. Thomas Jones came in after not playing for a while. That's trust.

I agree Ghost TJ has done all but leave his nuts out on the field for the JETS. 2 seasons AFC leading rusher and top TD RB in the league. The TJ hate is not only unreal it sickens me.

It's not worth discussing anymore. I'm done with these clowns.

Umm.. WRONG! Greene was literally running over people the entire game. Ryan didn't want to put Jones in, because Greene was playing too good. However, when it game to one yard. Thomas Jones came in after not playing for a while. That's trust.

Before you're done with us clowns, I just want to be clear on something. You're saying we should pay $5.8 million to a 32-year-old back who's broken the Rule of 270 each of the last five seasons, was ranked 23rd in DYAR and 32nd in DVOA, and runs like he has a load in his shorts. Your justification is that he clearly isn't as good as the younger, faster, stronger, cheaper guy...but the coach trusted him to get a crucial yard once. Do I have it covered? You can commence being done with us clowns now.

Before you're done with us clowns, I just want to be clear on something. You're saying we should pay $5.8 million to a 32-year-old back who's broken the Rule of 270 each of the last five seasons and runs like he has a load in his shorts. Your justification is that he clearly isn't as good as the younger, faster, stronger, cheaper guy...but the coach trusted him to get a crucial yard once. Do I have it covered? You can commence being done with us clowns now.

Who will be that younger,faster,stronger,cheaper guy? An unproven RB out of college who may not even make the opening day roster. Who is available through free agency that could fill TJs shoes?

Ask TJ to restructure with an incentive laden contract. He's earned the right for at least that. The JETS had the best 1-2 punch in the NFL last season. You just dont release that.

Who will be that younger,faster,stronger,cheaper guy? An unproven RB out of college who may not even make the opening day roster. Who is available through free agency that could fill TJs shoes?

Ask TJ to restructure with an incentive laden contract. He's earned the right for at least that. The JETS had the best 1-2 punch in the NFL last season. You just dont reease that.

I was referring to Shonn Greene, but now that you mention it, Jones was a -1.1% DVOA player last season, so pretty much any average RB could replicate his production behind this offensive line. If Jones is willing to restructure and continue being that average RB, fine.

I was referring to Shonn Greene, but now that you mention it, Jones was a -1.1% DVOA player last season, so pretty much any average RB could replicate his production behind this offensive line. If Jones is willing to restructure and continue being that average RB, fine.

1.1% DVOA----------:confused:

He was 2nd in the AFC in rushing and in TDS.

As Ghost said im also done with you clowns---------:cheers:

I have neither the time nor inclination to explain the difference between volume and rate stats, so instead I'll just say that answering a statistical argument with cruder, simpler, less predictive statistics doesn't really serve your argument well.

I have neither the time nor inclination to explain the difference between volume and rate stats, so instead I'll just say that answering a statistical argument with cruder, simpler, less predictive statistics doesn't really serve your argument well.

It's hard to argue using DPAR, DYAR, ALY etc. when most people don't understand what it exactly it entails. Also, those who do read it, tend to not like it, because Stat Geeks shouldn't be able to know anything about football.

But after they predicted Kevin Jones to be the leading rusher in 2005, prior to the season beginning, I was sold on their stuff. And i wholeheartedly believe it when they say that, behind our line, almost any a league-average player could replicate TJ's production.

Leon Washington is coming back from a serious leg injury, and Shonn Greene has yet to carry the full load for a single game in the pros. Jets definitely need another back, one who can start if Shonn gets hurt, or just spell him for a couple series a week.

Who's that going to be?

Jets are devoid of draft picks, and I can't imagine them using their 1st or 2nd on a RB after spending three picks on Shonn last year. Their hands are tied in FA. It pretty much comes down to keeping their own broken down back, or taking on someone else's (LT, Westbrook). Everybody loves Leon, but I don't know if he's going to be the same guy mentally or physically after that injury. His return could be huge, but it can't be counted on, IMHO.

I hope Jones stays. If the Jets can get him to agree to a restructure -great!- but I really don't care in an uncapped year. He's a leader in the locker room, who leads with his words and actions. He's respected. I think as a 100-150 carry guy, he can be useful. A few carries a game and a couple spot starts.

Leon Washington is coming back from a serious leg injury, and Shonn Greene has yet to carry the full load for a single game in the pros. Jets definitely need another back, one who can start if Shonn gets hurt, or just spell him for a couple series a week.

Who's that going to be?

Jets are devoid of draft picks, and I can't imagine them using their 1st or 2nd on a RB after spending three picks on Shonn last year. Their hands are tied in FA. It pretty much comes down to keeping their own broken down back, or taking on someone else's (LT, Westbrook). Everybody loves Leon, but I don't know if he's going to be the same guy mentally or physically after that injury. His return could be huge, but it can't be counted on, IMHO.

I hope Jones stays. If the Jets can get him to agree to a restructure -great!- but I really don't care in an uncapped year. He's a leader in the locker room, who leads with his words and actions. He's respected. I think as a 100-150 carry guy, he can be useful. A few carries a game and a couple spot starts.

Very well said Slats....the Jets are somewhat stuck in terms of their ability to make moves. Greene was injury prone and there are questions with Leon's ability to bounce back 100% in the first year off injury. The Jets need another back in the stable and TJ at this point should be that guy..in terms of talking money, at this point I can care less...there are guys on the roster that do not earn half of their check, at least you know there is value in TJ..give him another year and move on to addressing the major problems on the roster like cornerback

I'm with you on this one. I think the uncapped year makes this a no-brainer. Let TJ play out his deal and if you get 60% of his 2010 production you're happy since Greene will undoubtedly carry more of the load and hopefully you get a full and productive season out of Leon on top of that.

Why? he's no good at this point. Everytime we hadn him the ball it's a negative play cause just about any alternative would do better. Remember all those stats that flung around talking about how much greater our Win odds would be if Greene got 60% or more of the carries, that's not cause Greene is a stud, it's cause Jones is done and was never very good to beign with

(and Greene looks like a nice player, don't get me wrong)

Any average RB would exceed his production behind this offensive line

Yes, the clowns are the ones that actually understand statistics. Silly them..

Why? he's no good at this point. Everytime we hadn him the ball it's a negative play cause just about any alternative would do better. Remember all those stats that flung around talking about how much greater our Win odds would be if Greene got 60% or more of the carries, that's not cause Greene is a stud, it's cause Jones is done and was never very good to beign with

Alright, you've convinced me. I'm going with nerdboy on this one fellas!

**** THOMAS JONES!

I love the TJ is worth 5 Million a year because he lead the league in rushing in 08 and had a huge year last year. Does anyone remeber in 08 that this team was 8 and 3 and had a clear path to a first round bye and TJ who lead the league in rushing wasn't on the field at all in almost every third down situation including third and shorts. He is a total producy of our OL and durability. Unfortunately last year he broke down in our stretch run or should I say fortunately?

Love to keep him for cheap money for the same reason you need a 5th starter on a MLB team to throw innings or in this case to take some carries. Unless he is willing to take substantially less money, I'm all for FA tryouts.

The Giants and Carolina have run the ball down people's throats for years with no name running back.

How about the fact that he was top 10 in attempts but had zero fumbles? That is HUGE.

Good news! The guys almost done and was never that good to begin with. it was mostly our Oline and the offense was a ton more dynamic with Greene in there

LOL.... or it could just be the fact that Greene had fresh legs, whereas TJ carried the rock almost exclusively for 16 straight games and was dealing with a knee injury at the end.

LOL.... or it could just be the fact that Greene had fresh legs, whereas TJ carried the rock almost exclusively for 16 straight games and was dealing with a knee injury at the end.

You really are wasting your time. You can never get them to realize it. Thomas Jones sucks and the only reason he's good is because of our offensive line. THat's what they'll all say.

C

L

O

W

N

S

You really are wasting your time. You can never get them to realize it. Thomas Jones sucks and the only reason he's good is because of our offensive line. THat's what they'll all say.

C

L

O

W

N

S

There's a difference betwee suck and paying him as if he was an elite back with HOF potential. He's a decent back playing on a team that has a great running OL and is committed to running the ball. He's 32, broke down and can't take a screen pass or catch a ball in the flat anymore. He's a decent skat back who can take 150 carries and make the big runs the line opens up for him. He isn't worth 5 plus million and we may be able to bring in a couple of FA's or a late draft pick that is as productive as Jones is likely to be next year and has some upside.

It's not about whether you think he's great or you think he sucks. He's decent but he's 32 and broke down late in the year.

Running backs are one of the most easily replaceable positions on the field in today's game. That's why you rarely see guys at TJ's age every fulfill the rest of their contracts regardless of how good they were the previous year. See:

Alexander, Shaun

Tomlinson, LaDanian

Westbrook, Brian

Lewis, Jamal

The list goes on. In my opinion we'd be better served with a guy who can catch the ball out of the backfield more effectively and has a bigger home run hitter type of game. It's rare you have to RB's that essentially do the same thing. The difference between Greene and TJ is Greene ain't afraid of knocking someone back to get a few more yards while TJ will do his spin-fall move.

At his age, and his price TJ is completely expendable.

Archived