Jets might release Thomas Jones

Jetfan13

There's a difference betwee suck and paying him as if he was an elite back with HOF potential. He's a decent back playing on a team that has a great running OL and is committed to running the ball. He's 32, broke down and can't take a screen pass or catch a ball in the flat anymore. He's a decent skat back who can take 150 carries and make the big runs the line opens up for him. He isn't worth 5 plus million and we may be able to bring in a couple of FA's or a late draft pick that is as productive as Jones is likely to be next year and has some upside.

It's not about whether you think he's great or you think he sucks. He's decent but he's 32 and broke down late in the year.

WOW! Are you kidding me? First of all, I never said Thomas Jones was worth his bonus that he's supposed to get in March.

You said it yourself. We're commited to running the ball. Why in the hell would you go with Leon Washington (Injury) and Greene (Durability). You want us to draft someone? Sure, we'll take someone in the 6, or 7th round, because we have more important positions to fill.

Screen pass? We don't even run screen passes. The last time I remember was against the Titans last year, which Thomas Jones did score on that BTW.

This will be a mistake.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to beat writer Dave Hutchinson, the Jets will likely release Thomas Jones if he does not agree to restructure his contract. No shocker here. Jones has earned his $2.8M base salary and $3M roster bonus with a second straight career year, but the Jets believe he is now expendable with Shonn Greene emerging behind a dominant line. The Jets have had talks with Jones' agent, and the sides will meet again at this week's Combine. Jones postured for more money last offseason, so it would be surprising if he agreed to a pay-cut this time around. Feb. 25 - 9:25 am et

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/HeadLines.aspx?sport=NFL&hl=168105

There's a difference betwee suck and paying him as if he was an elite back with HOF potential. He's a decent back playing on a team that has a great running OL and is committed to running the ball. He's 32, broke down and can't take a screen pass or catch a ball in the flat anymore. He's a decent skat back who can take 150 carries and make the big runs the line opens up for him. He isn't worth 5 plus million and we may be able to bring in a couple of FA's or a late draft pick that is as productive as Jones is likely to be next year and has some upside.

It's not about whether you think he's great or you think he sucks. He's decent but he's 32 and broke down late in the year.

Scatbacks are guys like Leon Washington and Darren Sproles, fast, agile often little guys possibly with limited durability. I think it's safe to say that Jones has never been a scat back in his entire career.

Jones broke down because he carried the rock like a million times. It could happen to any back. In fact, it happened to Greene and he had what, 20% of the amount of carries this year?

He is 32, and that is a concern, but assuming he comes back to camp in good shape (which he tends to do every year), then there still aren't any signs of him falling off. He had 1,400+ yards this year.

I don't think any of us are saying that he should be the starter, IMO he should be the backup to the Greene/Leon 65%/35% tandem.

What we are saying, I think, is that this team more than almost anyone else NEEDS 3 legit backs because we run more than anyone. This is especially true since both Leon and Greene suffered injuries last year.

So when you have the #2/#3 back on a team that has to come in to fill in for a possible injury the last thing you want is some potential bum that you got out of UDFA. I'd like to see a guy like Jones who is reliable in getting you those 3-4 yards and most importantly protects the football. (Especially since Sanchez still can't do this well). That IS Jones.

Quite honestly, we may even need MORE than 3 backs on the roster. Maybe 4 HB, 1 FB. That sounds kinda crazy until you realize that by the end of the season ALL of our running backs were injured. I think that has less to do with being a fluke and more to do with the fact that we're #1 in rushing attempts and yardage.

He isn't worth 5 plus million and we may be able to bring in a couple of FA's or a late draft pick that is as productive as Jones is likely to be next year and has some upside.

Yeah, you may. Doesn't look real likely, though.

This is a down year for the RB position in the draft, and the Jets don't have many draft picks. They don't have any in the 3rd or 4th rounds, where you might expect to still get a decent back. The leftovers in the undrafted pile aren't likely to offer you much more than a Danny Woodhead. Pretty rare that you find a 150 carry guy there. Even in a good RB year.

Running backs are one of the most easily replaceable positions on the field in today's game. That's why you rarely see guys at TJ's age every fulfill the rest of their contracts regardless of how good they were the previous year. See:

Alexander, Shaun

Tomlinson, LaDanian

Westbrook, Brian

Lewis, Jamal

The list goes on. In my opinion we'd be better served with a guy who can catch the ball out of the backfield more effectively and has a bigger home run hitter type of game. It's rare you have to RB's that essentially do the same thing. The difference between Greene and TJ is Greene ain't afraid of knocking someone back to get a few more yards while TJ will do his spin-fall move.

At his age, and his price TJ is completely expendable.

I agreed with your entire post - right up until the last three words.

Same question: Who do we get to replace him?

You know that Jones is a durable, hard-working guy. He's a vocal leader on the team, and they follow his example in the weight room. He's definitely capable of carrying the ball 150 times next year for a 4 ypc average. He could start a couple games if you needed him to.

Where are you getting his replacement from? We going with LT? I think that might be a reasonable move, but he's probably more broken down than TJ at this point. I wouldn't touch Westbrook with a 10' pole.

I definitely prefer the Jets work something out with Jones, and then bring in some undrafteds anyway. I want them to hold off on drafting another back 'til they've seen Shonn carry the load for a full year. Next year at this time, they could be looking for a complimentary back, or a new FT back.

Yeah, you may. Doesn't look real likely, though.

This is a down year for the RB position in the draft, and the Jets don't have many draft picks. They don't have any in the 3rd or 4th rounds, where you might expect to still get a decent back. The leftovers in the undrafted pile aren't likely to offer you much more than a Danny Woodhead. Pretty rare that you find a 150 carry guy there. Even in a good RB year.

I agreed with your entire post - right up until the last three words.

Same question: Who do we get to replace him?

You know that Jones is a durable, hard-working guy. He's a vocal leader on the team, and they follow his example in the weight room. He's definitely capable of carrying the ball 150 times next year for a 4 ypc average. He could start a couple games if you needed him to.

Where are you getting his replacement from? We going with LT? I think that might be a reasonable move, but he's probably more broken down than TJ at this point. I wouldn't touch Westbrook with a 10' pole.

I definitely prefer the Jets work something out with Jones, and then bring in some undrafteds anyway. I want them to hold off on drafting another back 'til they've seen Shonn carry the load for a full year. Next year at this time, they could be looking for a complimentary back, or a new FT back.

I guess it all depends on how you look at the RB position. It's clear you're looking at TJ at more than just his "on-field" value. I do think there is some value in that but not for his price tag. That's why I'm ok if he restructures and stays.

To answer your question: We replace with just about anyone. That sounds really dumb but let me explain. I don't see TJ as a RB1 anymore. At best he's an RB2. If he stayed he and Leon would be 2a and 2b. I'm ok if we lose a RB2a for a RB3. In my opinion we just need a guy who can come in, run the ball a couple times a game to spell Greene and Leon, catch the ball out of the backfield and block. Leon is our pass-catching threat out of the back field. TJ would literally be around to spell Greene IMO.

A player like that I'm sure could be found late in the draft, UDFA, or FA. It's a risky move but at the same time, so is keeping a 32 year old RB at the price is.

I guess it all depends on how you look at the RB position. It's clear you're looking at TJ at more than just his "on-field" value. I do think there is some value in that but not for his price tag. That's why I'm ok if he restructures and stays.

To answer your question: We replace with just about anyone. That sounds really dumb but let me explain. I don't see TJ as a RB1 anymore. At best he's an RB2. If he stayed he and Leon would be 2a and 2b. I'm ok if we lose a RB2a for a RB3. In my opinion we just need a guy who can come in, run the ball a couple times a game to spell Greene and Leon, catch the ball out of the backfield and block. Leon is our pass-catching threat out of the back field. TJ would literally be around to spell Greene IMO.

A player like that I'm sure could be found late in the draft, UDFA, or FA. It's a risky move but at the same time, so is keeping a 32 year old RB at the price is.

Thing is, Leon's a big question mark, too. You just don't know how he's going to come back from that injury. I'm concerned about him mentally as well as physically.

If we're going with Greene as the starter -which seems a given- you have to be concerned about his durability, too. Here's a guy who hasn't started a game in the NFL yet, and has been knocked out by injuries in the pre- and post-seasons. The Jets, with their run-first mentality, really need another RB they can trust back there. You really need a guy who can step in and start a couple games for you if need be.

This season will almost certainly be uncapped, so I really don't give a crap about Jones' contract. I don't pay it, so it's a non-issue.

I don't know how solid a plan it is to target Greene as the feature back. Some who know the position go as far as saying his current running style is prone to injury.

It wouldn't be enviable to be sitting 3 games into the season with, maybe hopefully, a 100% Leon and some lesser slug that we picked up for $700k when Greene dislocates or tears something.

Thomas Jones has done everything asked of him and then some. Is a top flight locker room guy, busts his azz and gives 100+% all the time. Hopefully he can come down to some equitable number and hang for the last year of the contract.

Thing is, Leon's a big question mark, too. You just don't know how he's going to come back from that injury. I'm concerned about him mentally as well as physically.

If we're going with Greene as the starter -which seems a given- you have to be concerned about his durability, too. Here's a guy who hasn't started a game in the NFL yet, and has been knocked out by injuries in the pre- and post-seasons. The Jets, with their run-first mentality, really need another RB they can trust back there. You really need a guy who can step in and start a couple games for you if need be.

This season will almost certainly be uncapped, so I really don't give a crap about Jones' contract. I don't pay it, so it's a non-issue.

Hah. Fair is fair. You make valid points, I just disagree with the idea of keeping Jones around.

Scatbacks are guys like Leon Washington and Darren Sproles, fast, agile often little guys possibly with limited durability. I think it's safe to say that Jones has never been a scat back in his entire career.

Jones broke down because he carried the rock like a million times. It could happen to any back. In fact, it happened to Greene and he had what, 20% of the amount of carries this year?

He is 32, and that is a concern, but assuming he comes back to camp in good shape (which he tends to do every year), then there still aren't any signs of him falling off. He had 1,400+ yards this year.

I don't think any of us are saying that he should be the starter, IMO he should be the backup to the Greene/Leon 65%/35% tandem.

What we are saying, I think, is that this team more than almost anyone else NEEDS 3 legit backs because we run more than anyone. This is especially true since both Leon and Greene suffered injuries last year.

So when you have the #2/#3 back on a team that has to come in to fill in for a possible injury the last thing you want is some potential bum that you got out of UDFA. I'd like to see a guy like Jones who is reliable in getting you those 3-4 yards and most importantly protects the football. (Especially since Sanchez still can't do this well). That IS Jones.

Quite honestly, we may even need MORE than 3 backs on the roster. Maybe 4 HB, 1 FB. That sounds kinda crazy until you realize that by the end of the season ALL of our running backs were injured. I think that has less to do with being a fluke and more to do with the fact that we're #1 in rushing attempts and yardage.

You're right Jones is not a skaat back like Leon but he is not a power back, he is a cut back runner who gets a huge amounts of under 2 yard carries coupled with a nice amount of big runs through holes that look like they were made by a tank. He is not reliable in getting you 3, 4 and 5 yard runs in tough running situations. He is reliable to break some 8 plus yard runs and get stopped for no gain to 2 yards in tough running situations. Unlike most cut back runners he is useless in the passing game.

The problem is with Leon and Greene and Jones we need to carry 4 running backs. Leon and Greene are a concern but at 32 no matter what shape Jones is he is also a concern. I'm comfortable with 2 running backs on the roster that aren't Jones and can fill his role. I'm not comfortable with paying Jones 5 Million plus and carrying 3 other running backs.

Don't understand why you think they'd need a 4th RB after Jones, or why you give a sh!t about his contract.

This team ran the ball 600 times last year. If we get 300 between Greene and Leon next year that would be a ton to expect. At 32 I wouldn't look for Jones to get more than 150 carries next year. He's 32 had the most carries of his carrier last year and broke down. Running backs don't slide down a soft hill they go over the cliff.

This team ran the ball 600 times last year. If we get 300 between Greene and Leon next year that would be a ton to expect. At 32 I wouldn't look for Jones to get more than 150 carries next year. He's 32 had the most carries of his carrier last year and broke down. Running backs don't slide down a soft hill they go over the cliff.

Me neither. I don't expect the Jets to be the only team in the NFL to rush for more yards than they throw for next year, either. At least, I certainly hope not.

But I do expect Greene to carry the ball 300 times next year. That's a fair expectation for a player likely to take over the starter's role.

Jones slowed down at the end of the season due to the high workload and a nagging injury of his own. As a backup player getting maybe 5-8 carries a game, and maybe a spot start here or there, I think he's still a useful player. And he can catch, btw, the Jets just don't throw to him. It's Greene who can't catch anything.

And again, why do you care about his contract if this is an uncapped year? They got 1400 yards out of him last year for just $900K, so what if he's overpaid this season?

Me neither. I don't expect the Jets to be the only team in the NFL to rush for more yards than they throw for next year, either. At least, I certainly hope not.

But I do expect Greene to carry the ball 300 times next year. That's a fair expectation for a player likely to take over the starter's role.

Jones slowed down at the end of the season due to the high workload and a nagging injury of his own. As a backup player getting maybe 5-8 carries a game, and maybe a spot start here or there, I think he's still a useful player. And he can catch, btw, the Jets just don't throw to him. It's Greene who can't catch anything.

And again, why do you care about his contract if this is an uncapped year? They got 1400 yards out of him last year for just $900K, so what if he's overpaid this season?

Agreed Jones is at best a 5 to 8 carry guy but Greeene hasn't shown close the durability coupled with his running style to carry the ball 300 times. Until he does we will have to carry 4 backs if Jones is going to be one of them.

Agreed Jones is at best a 5 to 8 carry guy but Greeene hasn't shown close the durability coupled with his running style to carry the ball 300 times. Until he does we will have to carry 4 backs if Jones is going to be one of them.

If the Jets don't think Greene can carry the ball 300 times a season, they phucked up when they drafted him.

If the Jets don't think Greene can carry the ball 300 times a season, they phucked up when they drafted him.

They might have he certainly was nicked up allot last year? He has a very physical running style, he may just need a year or two to physically mature enough to play at that kind of contact level in the NFL?

Hard to call it a bad pick when he basically carried us to the AFC Finals a place we have only been to 4 times in our history.

That's insane. Green practically put the team on his back in the playoffs.

Ill take his production on 200-250 carries as a 3rd round pick every season.

Newsday's Bob Glauber on the issue - it's up to Jones.

Will Thomas Jones be a Jet in 2010?

9 m ago By Bob Glauber

One of the biggest decisions the Jets have to make regarding their 2010 roster is what to do with Thomas Jones, who is coming off his most productive season at age 31.

Statistically speaking, it would appear to be a no-brainer. Jones ran for more yards (1,402) and more touchdowns (14) than ever before. And with the Jets thriving on a run-first approach, the Jets would appear to be wise to keep him for at least the final year of his contract.

But on this one, you have to look deeper into the numbers to see that this is far more complicated than that.

For starters, there is Jones' salary: He is due to make a total of $5.8 million in 2010, which includes a $3 million roster bonus due March 9. That's not a ridiculous amount of money for a starting running back who is coming off his fifth consecutive 1,000-yard season. In fact, it might even be undervalued.

But with Shonn Greene emerging late last season as the Jets' feature back, and with Jones' production falling way off in the playoffs, there are some deeper issues at work here.

Let's look at the numbers: In his final four games, including the last regular season game against the Bengals and the Jets' three playoff games, Jones rushed for 195 yards on 72 carries, an average of just 2.7 yards per carry. That's a huge drop-off from his 4.2-yards per carry average in the regular season. Not only that, but Jones was given a day off from practice each week late in the season to help keep him fresh.

Greene, meanwhile, emerged as the go-to guy in the postseason. He rushed for 135 yards and a touchdown in a first-round win over the Bengals, then 128 yards and a touchdown in the divisional round win over the Chargers. He gained just 41 yards in the AFC Championship Game loss to the Colts, but had to leave after suffering bruised ribs in the second quarter.

The Jets are clearly going with Greene as their feature back, although they love Jones' toughness and leadership qualities enough to consider keeping him for another season.

The problem is that they can't justify his $5.8 million payout if he goes into the season as the backup. Now the question is how much of a paycut Jones is willing to take. The Jets are wisely pushing the issue in a bid to keep his salary at a more acceptable level. Whether Jones is willing to accept that cut remains to be seen.

Complicating things a bit further is the uncertain situation with running back Leon Washington, who is coming off a broken leg. All indications are Washington will be ready by the season opener, but there are no guarantees.

So while the Jets are smart to request a paycut from Jones, they also need to keep their options open in the event Washington isn't ready. What to do?

Try and work out a compromise that is acceptable to Jones and keep him on the roster. The guy has done yeoman's work in his three seasons with the team, and there's no reason he can't stay in the rotation.

But if Jones is looking for a deal that won't fit within the team's salary structure, then it's time to move ahead without him and add Jones to the list of thirtysomething running backs out of work. That list already includes LaDainian Tomlinson and Brian Westbrook.

And if Jones overplays his hand, he'll be next.

They might have he certainly was nicked up allot last year? He has a very physical running style, he may just need a year or two to physically mature enough to play at that kind of contact level in the NFL?

Hard to call it a bad pick when he basically carried us to the AFC Finals a place we have only been to 4 times in our history.

Agreed that just handing Greene a full load is not a good idea. A 4th RB is a very good idea...All NFL teams should have a stable of good RBs, not just one or two guys they think can handle the load.

So...thoughts on this C. Washington fella? Any chance he takes some carries and does alright?

Slats...they didn't f up just because Greene can't and shouldn't be trusted to take on a full RB load in his 2nd year. Why would that be? Young players require development...It's nothing new.

Newsday's Bob Glauber on the issue - it's up to Jones.

Will Thomas Jones be a Jet in 2010?

9 m ago By Bob Glauber

One of the biggest decisions the Jets have to make regarding their 2010 roster is what to do with Thomas Jones, who is coming off his most productive season at age 31.

Statistically speaking, it would appear to be a no-brainer. Jones ran for more yards (1,402) and more touchdowns (14) than ever before. And with the Jets thriving on a run-first approach, the Jets would appear to be wise to keep him for at least the final year of his contract.

But on this one, you have to look deeper into the numbers to see that this is far more complicated than that.

For starters, there is Jones' salary: He is due to make a total of $5.8 million in 2010, which includes a $3 million roster bonus due March 9. That's not a ridiculous amount of money for a starting running back who is coming off his fifth consecutive 1,000-yard season. In fact, it might even be undervalued.

But with Shonn Greene emerging late last season as the Jets' feature back, and with Jones' production falling way off in the playoffs, there are some deeper issues at work here.

Let's look at the numbers: In his final four games, including the last regular season game against the Bengals and the Jets' three playoff games, Jones rushed for 195 yards on 72 carries, an average of just 2.7 yards per carry. That's a huge drop-off from his 4.2-yards per carry average in the regular season. Not only that, but Jones was given a day off from practice each week late in the season to help keep him fresh.

Greene, meanwhile, emerged as the go-to guy in the postseason. He rushed for 135 yards and a touchdown in a first-round win over the Bengals, then 128 yards and a touchdown in the divisional round win over the Chargers. He gained just 41 yards in the AFC Championship Game loss to the Colts, but had to leave after suffering bruised ribs in the second quarter.

The Jets are clearly going with Greene as their feature back, although they love Jones' toughness and leadership qualities enough to consider keeping him for another season.

The problem is that they can't justify his $5.8 million payout if he goes into the season as the backup. Now the question is how much of a paycut Jones is willing to take. The Jets are wisely pushing the issue in a bid to keep his salary at a more acceptable level. Whether Jones is willing to accept that cut remains to be seen.

Complicating things a bit further is the uncertain situation with running back Leon Washington, who is coming off a broken leg. All indications are Washington will be ready by the season opener, but there are no guarantees.

So while the Jets are smart to request a paycut from Jones, they also need to keep their options open in the event Washington isn't ready. What to do?

Try and work out a compromise that is acceptable to Jones and keep him on the roster. The guy has done yeoman's work in his three seasons with the team, and there's no reason he can't stay in the rotation.

But if Jones is looking for a deal that won't fit within the team's salary structure, then it's time to move ahead without him and add Jones to the list of thirtysomething running backs out of work. That list already includes LaDainian Tomlinson and Brian Westbrook.

And if Jones overplays his hand, he'll be next.

He should take a lesson from Leon.. health isn't a guarantee and he's getting up there in age.. don't be greedy.

This whole Jones contract mess just proves one thing: In the NFL, you better get paid up front because you'll never see that "thanks for being a good soldier" bonus in your check when you're no longer effective. Between Jones and Leon, I will never, ever, ever, MF a player who holds out again.

Slats...they didn't f up just because Greene can't and shouldn't be trusted to take on a full RB load in his 2nd year. Why would that be? Young players require development...It's nothing new.

RB is the easiest position in football for a rookie to step in and play. A second year RB should have no problem shouldering the load. Greene will probably be a career two down back, but for the Jets -as currently constructed- that's a 300 carry guy.

RB is the easiest position in football for a rookie to step in and play. A second year RB should have no problem shouldering the load. Greene will probably be a career two down back, but for the Jets -as currently constructed- that's a 300 carry guy.

Yes, but that doesn't mean it's a cake walk and take the ball 300 times. DeAngelo Williams...Stewart...McFadden...MJD didn't take a full workload until last year (his 4th) and the Jags won't let that happen again...Beanie Wells...All young, high picks in the draft that don't get a full load because it's not that easy.

Look around the league and you'll see that the only two young, full time backs in this league are Steven Jackson and Frank Gore...both of their teams are trying or did find them someone who can shoulder the load.

There's reasons for this:

- NFL D's are bigger and faster than at any point in history. If RBs got their asses kicked back in the day, it's worse now.

- These RBs get paid. Teams want to protect their investments by not running them into the ground the minute they get them.

- Fresh legs are more productive legs.

- The league is so saturated with RB talent that those first 3 factors make it common sense to have more than one or even two.

- The league is growing a heart. Concussions are getting paid attention to...they care about their young players and their futures after so many retired NFL players just fall to crap...RBs would high up on that list because their careers are so short.

My brain just shut down. I'm hungry.

Banking on Greene staying healthy is sketchy, imo. It seems like he's always battling some injury, both in college and the pros. He reminds me of Marion Barber a little bit in that he's crazy physical, but is always going to pay for it. Even if Jones leaves, they need to bring in a 1A back to split the carries with Shonn.

Definitely agree.

Last year, Jones held his mini-protest over his $900K salary. The consensus was that he was under contract, and that he should shut up and play. Same contract now calls for some serious coin. I think the Jets should shut up and pay.

I completely and utterly disagree. You don't pay 3 million to a 32 year old back up RB. The position has and always will call for youth. Jets are better off using a late round pick or finding a backup in FA for much less coin. RB is BY FAR the easiest position/void to fill in the NFL. A great Offensive line is much more essential. Good bye and thanks for a couple of great years TJ.

I completely and utterly disagree. You don't pay 3 million to a 32 year old back up RB. The position has and always will call for youth. Jets are better off using a late round pick or finding a backup in FA for much less coin. RB is BY FAR the easiest position/void to fill in the NFL. A great Offensive line is much more essential. Good bye and thanks for a couple of great years TJ.

It's an uncapped year. I don't give a crap about cost.

I understand that a lot of people are done with TJ, but he's reliable and has performed well behind the Jets OL.

I'd prefer the Jets not use a draft pick on a RB because, a.) they only have a few picks, b.) this is a poor year for RB's, and c.) they'll have a better idea of what they'll need at RB after a year of Greene in the starting lineup.

In the end, I think the Jets should offer him a deal for about half of what he's currently due ($5.8M), and I think Jones should take it. I hope they work it out.

It's an uncapped year. I don't give a crap about cost.

I understand that a lot of people are done with TJ, but he's reliable and has performed well behind the Jets OL.

I'd prefer the Jets not use a draft pick on a RB because, a.) they only have a few picks, b.) this is a poor year for RB's, and c.) they'll have a better idea of what they'll need at RB after a year of Greene in the starting lineup.

In the end, I think the Jets should offer him a deal for about half of what he's currently due ($5.8M), and I think Jones should take it. I hope they work it out.

Uncapped or not I truely believe Jones is and has always been a total JAG. Even as a Bear. A good OL will make any JAG look better. What a difference to the game when Greene was in, no? He changed the game-plan for the other team. He made things happen. I've never seen Jones do that his entire career. Good, solid, hard running NFL RB can be found everywhere throughout the NFL. The man is not worth 3 mill. Every team has budgets, capped or not. Spend the money somewhere else, lock up the vets, but giving it to Jones is pissing it down the toilet imo.

Definitely agree.

Last year, Jones held his mini-protest over his $900K salary. The consensus was that he was under contract, and that he should shut up and play. Same contract now calls for some serious coin. I think the Jets should shut up and pay.

That seems fair to me. I'd give TJ the money for one more year. ::GoJets:

This whole Jones contract mess just proves one thing: In the NFL, you better get paid up front because you'll never see that "thanks for being a good soldier" bonus in your check when you're no longer effective. Between Jones and Leon, I will never, ever, ever, MF a player who holds out again.

Jones was paid up front. Everyone including Jones and his agent knew that the roster bonus wasn't going to be paid. It was designed to give the Jets the option to negiotate while ultimately giving Jones his freedom as an FA if they couldn't come to an agreement.

This is not a contract mess. Jones played for 900k last year because he got a stupid amount of up front money for a running back of his caliber. That was the deal he signed.

Archived