Jets might release Thomas Jones

Jetfan13

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No way in hell.

Not to beat a dead horse, but just look at his DVOA and DYAR, the stats do not lie; his job could be done by most average nfl backs. Yes, I understand he lead the league two years ago, and 2nd this year, but he did so behind one of, if not the best offensive lines in football. Looking at the stats, it really is absurd how good our Oline played at times during the year.

A lot of these stats scare people away, but they have predicted the rising and falling of players that 99.9% of us would need a crystal ball to do. The only thing I want is depth, encase of an Injury.

Our team employs a heavy, heavy run-oriented offense... You really think Rex, Callahan etc. wouldn't try to stop tanny from letting TJ go if he they weren't confident that he could be replaced??? I have faith in Rex and tanny.

Not to beat a dead horse, but just look at his DVOA and DYAR, the stats do not lie; his job could be done by most average nfl backs. Yes, I understand he lead the league two years ago, and 2nd this year, but he did so behind one of, if not the best offensive lines in football. Looking at the stats, it really is absurd how good our Oline played at times during the year.

A lot of these stats scare people away, but they have predicted the rising and falling of players that 99.9% of us would need a crystal ball to do. The only thing I want is depth, encase of an Injury.

Our team employs a heavy, heavy run-oriented offense... You really think Rex, Callahan etc. wouldn't try to stop tanny from letting TJ go if he they weren't confident that he could be replaced??? I have faith in Rex and tanny.

i agree with most average backs behind one of the best O lines, but, what TJ brought was consistancy! no injuries! THAT is hard to replace!!

i agree with most average backs behind one of the best O lines, but, what TJ brought was consistancy! no injuries! THAT is hard to replace!!

That is very true, you can't teach a back to not get hurt or cough up the ball...that was TJ's MO. But I don't thin that alone warrants a $6 million contract.

The fact that TJ is going to be released, does this mean we have the ability to sign a FA worth equal money?? Or was his contract structured so he'll be cut and that we aren't exactly losing him to FA??

We'll draft a RB in the 7th round. That'll solve our issues.

Poor year for RB's. No way there's one that fits the BAP model available in the 7th round after other teams draft for need. Jets have other needs, and there will be players rated much higher on their board.

As I just said in the other thread, I hope the two sides hammer out a deal once they see what free agency is offering each of them.

So I'm reading over FO this morning, just to try and get a handle on these stats of theirs, and I'm not really reading that TJ sucks. In the DYAR numbers -designed to weigh more heavily towards the workhorses- Jones ranks #23 in the NFL. Shonn Greene ranked #30 in this category.

Our OL is not nearly best in the league, either, according to FO. They rank the Jets #9 in rushing and #23 in pass protection. Interesting to me that our awesome OL is ranked the same in pass protection as our crappy RB was rated in Defensive Yards Above Replacement.

So is TJ worth the $5.8M he was slated to earn this year? Almost certainly not - although I continue not to care in an uncapped year. But he doesn't suck, either, as detractors would like to say. Even using FO's creative statistics that rank the Jets OL as average.

I continue to think the two sides can and should hammer out an agreement once FA begins.

So I'm reading over FO this morning, just to try and get a handle on these stats of theirs, and I'm not really reading that TJ sucks. In the DYAR numbers -designed to weigh more heavily towards the workhorses- Jones ranks #23 in the NFL. Shonn Greene ranked #30 in this category.

Our OL is not nearly best in the league, either, according to FO. They rank the Jets #9 in rushing and #23 in pass protection. Interesting to me that our awesome OL is ranked the same in pass protection as our crappy RB was rated in Defensive Yards Above Replacement.

So is TJ worth the $5.8M he was slated to earn this year? Almost certainly not - although I continue not to care in an uncapped year. But he doesn't suck, either, as detractors would like to say. Even using FO's creative statistics that rank the Jets OL as average.

I continue to think the two sides can and should hammer out an agreement once FA begins.

I wouldn't read too much into DYAR stuff. It's cool to look at. But what's cooler to look at is the same two RB's on the same team. Anyone who comes to the conclusion that Jones is a more effective runner than Greene in any handoff situation isn't watching.

The thing with DYAR numbers (at least as I understand it, but correct me if I'm wrong) is they make a grand assumption that every play of every game the same OL blocks a common-opponent defense identically. It does not account for, nor does it allow the possibility, non-skill position players having a good game or a bad game. It doesn't take the score and situation into account. Basically, it assumes everyone plays the same in a meaningless game at the end of the season as in the playoff hunt and assumes everyone plays the same when it's tied and when there's a 40 point spread.

It's a way one could find ways of rating merely good - or outright mediocre - players as supremely elite. If I recall, when healthy, Pennington routinely was like a top-3 (if not the outright #1) QB in the NFL using DPAR methods. Pretty much tells me all I need to know right there.

Poor year for RB's. No way there's one that fits the BAP model available in the 7th round after other teams draft for need. Jets have other needs, and there will be players rated much higher on their board.

As I just said in the other thread, I hope the two sides hammer out a deal once they see what free agency is offering each of them.

Meh, I guess it just comes down to what you think is TJ's worth. I seriously don't see him as anymore than a JAG at this point. Replacing him will not be difficult imo. He is a crafty vet, But I'll take a liitle more youth, speed and power in my back up RB for less money.

Meh, I guess it just comes down to what you think is TJ's worth. I seriously don't see him as anymore than a JAG at this point. Replacing him will not be difficult imo. He is a crafty vet, But I'll take a liitle more youth, speed and power in my back up RB for less money.

TJ brought consistency,reliability,leadership not going to be found in any youth RB for less money. What scares me the most is Greene is good but injury prone and fumbles 2 traits TJ didnt have. A few want Sproles -NO WAY IN HELL.

Lets hope our RB position doesnt turn into a RB by committee (Denver) with alot of getting nothing done. It was our running game that got us where we wound up finishing. Many are forgetting this.

Jones' greatest asset is his durability, imo. He is a rare running back like that. I'm not in love with his ability, either, but knowing that he was going to be ready week in and week out was huge for this team. It's a fairly significant hole to fill., and the Jets might be wise to sign two guys to do it.

TJ brought consistency,reliability,leadership not going to be found in any youth RB for less money. What scares me the most is Greene is good but injury prone and fumbles 2 traits TJ didnt have. A few want Sproles -NO WAY IN HELL.

Lets hope our RB position doesnt turn into a RB by committee (Denver) with alot of getting nothing done. It was our running game that got us where we wound up finishing. Many are forgetting this.

Yes it was the running game that got us to where we wound up finishing. That committee consisted of the Offensive Line and the emergence of Shonn Greene. When Greene went down and Jones went back in that was the end of the AFC Championship Game.

Yes it was the running game that got us to where we wound up finishing. That committee consisted of the Offensive Line and the emergence of Shonn Greene. When Greene went down and Jones went back in that was the end of the AFC Championship Game.

TJ had alot more carries than SG at that point in the season. I will agree with you SG was unstoppable. But TJ won many games with his legs while SG wasnt even active. The future is SG I agree but having TJ as backup assurance or utilize the 1-2 punch.

I think Thomas Jones can be replaced. He was done at the end of the year. Against Indy, when Greene got hurt, Jones had nothing.

BUT

Greene has not proven he can stay healthy. Jones definitely had that going for him. The consistency is important. If they let Jones go, it would be a mistake to go with Green, Leon and an UDFA type.

They need a quality 3rd back.

What exactly is wrong with RBBC in your opinion?

2009 Saints = RBBC

2008 Steelers = RBBC

2007 Giants = RBBC

2006 Colts = RBBC

2005 Steelers = RBBC

2004 Pats = workhorse back (Dillon) chiefly removed only for passing downs

2003 Pats = RBBC

2002 Bucs = RBBC

So that's 7 of the last 8 SB winners.

Agree on some of Jones' better traits (and agree 100% on Sproles), but riding one RB to 300-ish or more carries and then hoisting up a Lombardi Trophy at the end of the season is a rarity in today's NFL.

If Jones can be re-signed on the cheap I see no harm in it. I think he's going to go to the highest bidder and being that we have Greene and Leon, that probably won't be the Jets.

2009 Saints = RBBC

2008 Steelers = RBBC

2007 Giants = RBBC

2006 Colts = RBBC

2005 Steelers = RBBC

2004 Pats = workhorse back (Dillon)

2003 Pats = RBBC

2002 Bucs = RBBC

Agree on some of Jones' better traits (and agree 100% on Sproles), but riding one RB to 300-ish or more carries and then hoisting up a Lombardi Trophy at the end of the season is a rarity in today's NFL.

If Jones can be re-signed on the cheap I see no harm in it. I think he's going to go to the highest bidder and being that we have Greene and Leon, that probably won't be the Jets.

Agreed, I have no problem with running back by committee, it is definitely where the league is going.

TJ had alot more carries than SG at that point in the season. I will agree with you SG was unstoppable. But TJ won many games with his legs while SG wasnt even active. The future is SG I agree but having TJ as backup assurance or utilize the 1-2 punch.

Can't agrue with his durability. Also with his leadership. But I would say it was the Offensive Line that won games more than TJ's legs.

Maybe I should give him more credit. I always liked TJ. I just never thought he was that good. A solid shifty back who looked better in his pads than he played imo. But I feel badbeing negative as I did always like him.

2009 Saints = RBBC

2008 Steelers = RBBC

2007 Giants = RBBC

2006 Colts = RBBC

2005 Steelers = RBBC

2003 Pats = RBBC

2002 Bucs = RBBC

RBBC is the only way to go IMO.

The Jets need another RB besides Greene and Leon to keep all 3 healthy for the postseason.

First off IS LW HEALTHY? Will he be the same RB he was?

So basically cut TJ,LW injured the JETS have 1 proven RB on the roster SG.

Running back by committee SUCKS--ALL those teams mentioned relied heavily on the passing game to win each week. I thought the JETS were a running team? How is the tide changes when arguing an issue like this one.

2009 Saints = RBBC

2008 Steelers = RBBC

2007 Giants = RBBC

2006 Colts = RBBC

2005 Steelers = RBBC

2003 Pats = RBBC

2002 Bucs = RBBC

+1. And it's not that Jones wouldn't fit but that he'd probably cost too much for his role. There will be players just as good for less money.

Why do you keep bringing up the money in post after post? This is an upcapped year. The money does not matter. And it's not like TJ is going to break anyone's bank at this point in his career, anyway.

The guy knows the Jets, and they know him. He's a consistent performer on the field, and the guy everyone else looks to ini the weight room. He stays healthy, and doesn't turn the football over. If I need a guy to carry the ball a handful of times a game, who can also fill in as a spot starter here and there, I definitely prefer that player to be a reliable veteran as opposed to an unproven kid. It's not a job for the Danny Woodheads of the world.

IMHO, the Jets should wait until next year before making any more investments in the RB postion. To me, that means no draft picks, no long term contracts. A guy like TJ or LT for a one or two year deal would be ideal. I'd want to see how Greene fares over a full season before deciding my next move at the position. They could decide they need to spend another higher pick there next year. The man's still unproven.

Running back by committee SUCKS--ALL those teams mentioned relied heavily on the passing game to win each week. I thought the JETS were a running team? How is the tide changes when arguing an issue like this one.

2009 Saints = RBBC

2008 Steelers = RBBC

2007 Giants = RBBC

2006 Colts = RBBC

2005 Steelers = RBBC

2003 Pats = RBBC

2002 Bucs = RBBC

I dont get this at all. Their really isnt a lot of teams that dont use the RBBC...maybe a handful. Its the smart thing to do these days. And if your team is a running team, then you want options. Keeps the D on their toes and makes them prepare for different running styles. And it also keeps players fresh for the postseason.

As mentioned by Sperm, its a proven success and being a copycat league, just about every team uses it.

I dont get this at all. Their really isnt a lot of teams that dont use the RBBC...maybe a handful. Its the smart thing to do these days. And if your team is a running team, then you want options. Keeps the D on their toes and makes them prepare for different running styles. And it also keeps players fresh for the postseason.

As mentioned by Sperm, its a proven success and being a copycat league, just about every team uses it.

ALL those teams on the list rely heavily on the passing game.

Why do you keep bringing up the money in post after post? This is an upcapped year. The money does not matter. And it's not like TJ is going to break anyone's bank at this point in his career, anyway.

The guy knows the Jets, and they know him. He's a consistent performer on the field, and the guy everyone else looks to ini the weight room. He stays healthy, and doesn't turn the football over. If I need a guy to carry the ball a handful of times a game, who can also fill in as a spot starter here and there, I definitely prefer that player to be a reliable veteran as opposed to an unproven kid. It's not a job for the Danny Woodheads of the world.

IMHO, the Jets should wait until next year before making any more investments in the RB postion. To me, that means no draft picks, no long term contracts. A guy like TJ or LT for a one or two year deal would be ideal. I'd want to see how Greene fares over a full season before deciding my next move at the position. They could decide they need to spend another higher pick there next year. The man's still unproven.

If there is no cap, then they must think he is done, no? I would wager they have more insight than any of us. He did wear down this year, something he has not done before. I believe they are just exercising sound business and football principles. Better too early than too late.

Because I guess I just don't agree that Thomas Jones is any good anymore. He's a JAG and uncapped or not I wouldn't pay him more than he's worth.

And I've seen enough of Greene to believe he is proven. If not, than do you really think Jones is the answer? Well, I guess you do as you've stated it numberous times.

The man is 32 and DONE. He's was nothing more than a JAG this year...actually MY PERSONAL OPINION, he's been a JAG behind some very good OL's his entire career.

He's durable and doesn't fumble. And he's a team leader. God Bless him for that.

Now it's time to say good bye and bring in more youth at the position.

If there is no cap, then they must think he is done, no? I would wager they have more insight than any of us. He did wear down this year, something he has not done before. I believe they are just exercising sound business and football principles. Better too early than too late.

I don't know what happened when TJ and the Jets' brass got together to talk. I don't know if the Jets offered TJ a league minimum deal, or if TJ dug in heels and refused to budge off the $5.8M he was due. Or both.

I'll have a better idea when either TJ signs somewhere else, or the Jets sign someone else. Until either of those things happen, I have to believe there's a good chance that TJ will be back.

And I've seen enough of Greene to believe he is proven. If not, than do you really think Jones is the answer? Well, I guess you do as you've stated it numberous times.

He's durable and doesn't fumble. And he's a team leader. God Bless him for that.

Now it's time to say good bye and bring in more youth at the position.

I think Jones is a solid short term, one year solution, but not a long term answer at all. At the beginning of the year, it was Thomas Jones, not the beloved Leon Washington, who was breaking the long runs for this team. Cut his workload way back, and I wouldn't worry about his ability to step in in the playoffs at all.

Who would this youth at the postion be, though? I really hope the Jets don't spend a draft pick at RB. They need to see Greene thru a full season first. This is a poor draft for RB's, too. And proven? He's proven he can get hurt in the preseason, the regular season, and the post season. He's demonstrated that he can fumble. He's maintained his complete inability to catch a pass since college. He's a one trick pony, but if he can't stay on the field that one trick is useless. And I like the guy! But between him and Leon, the Jets have to know that they could be looking for serious RB help in the 2011 draft. They should wait until then before they even think about drafting one.

ALL those teams on the list rely heavily on the passing game.

And they also rely heavily on their running game too especially during their postseason runs. That doesnt really make your point.

Outside of Minn, Tenn, Jax, StL, SF, and Cinn...basically every team uses RBBC. If it sucked so bad, you'd think less teams would use it.

2009 Saints = RBBC

2008 Steelers = RBBC

2007 Giants = RBBC

2006 Colts = RBBC

2005 Steelers = RBBC

2003 Pats = RBBC

2002 Bucs = RBBC

All of those teams relying heavily on the passing game to win each week is just a patently false statement. And besides, if we're going to get to a superbowl we're going to have to pass the ball as well.

And even a team relying heavily on a passing game can still employ a single workhorse-type RB. Yet year after year, the superbowl winner chooses not to.

So what is it about RBBC that "sucks" in your opinion? Or have you bought into the self-serving nonsense that workhorse backs say to the media, like needing 15-20 carries to get themselves warmed up?

Archived