Lunch With Darrelle Revis

Doggin94it

My brother got me into a Mens Journal lunch/Q&A with Revis yesterday. Here are some highlights

Revis - favorite game. Highschool championship, scored 5 TDs, about 5 different ways: rushing, receiving, passing, returned a blocked kick . . .

Still remembers advice Bob Sutton gave him when he started - its all about technique.

Biggest thing to focus on as CB is body language, everyone has tells.

Pros don't have the same passion as college and highschool - you need great leaders.

Started out 3-0, "everybody liked us, even sportscenter" - went into a slump, there was no finger pointing

"What was it like getting chewed out by Rex Ryan?". "You don't want to get chewed out by Rex Ryan . . ."

Ocho Cinco's the best trash talker - will say random things to distract you (once asked Revis what he had for lunch). Ocho Cinco and Steve Smith are the hardest to cover - chad stems his routes differently than other receivers, runs his routes differently, comes from playing soccer as a kid

"What happened in the second half of the AFCCG"

Our coaches said "do not let them score in last two minutes". Guys were so down that it carried over into the second half

"Football is a chess match and I'm not good at chess"

Peyton's calling who's blitzing at the line, and you're like "he's cheating" - he'll be saying Harris is coming through the A gap, Leonhard's dropping back, and he's right. Does he have our playbook?

Music helps him relax, does stand up comedy

Best sports rappers - Shaq's good, Kobe should stick to his day job.

Rex would never call an onside kick the way Payton did - relies on his D

Favorite CBs: Darrel Green, Deion, Champ, Ty Law. Favorite offensive players: Thurman Thomas, Warrick Dunn, Jerry Rice

"Do you miss returning kicks". Agent interjects - "no". He does.

Never checks out the message boards but liked the Revis Island pic with the receivers

If we don't get back to the AFCCG or win the SB, media will come after us.

Thought about transferring when Wannstedt came in to Pitt, because he didn't know him. With the coaching change to Rex, he couldn't transfer, got to know Rex.

Going to Cortland was big. People weren't going their separate ways after practices.

Asked about Jenkins going down:

"Big Jenk - we call him Big Jenk, cause he's huge - he's one of the best DLinemen in the league. We need him"

Covering big WRs, you need to be physical. "I hate the 5 yard rule. . . Goes back to what I said earlier, you need technique."

The refs give bigtime players the calls - he's been warned by refs after some plays "hey, you were holding, I'll call it next time". Talked about working the refs.

First year, trying to learn playbook. Second year, got comfortable. After the second year, called trainer and told him "you better push me so hard I can't breathe"

Watched film on all the receivers he had to cover in 2009 during the offseason - he didn't even really need to watch film during the season, because he already knew all about them.

Talking about the tells receivers have.

That's about it

Thanks for posting that, enjoyed the read. What I also love about Revis is that he wants to leave the game by going down as the best there ever was at his position. That could very possibly happen. We're looking at six, seven years where he's only gonna get better. His work ethic is out of this world, complete animal, and he's hungrier than hungry. Can't help but love a natural talent who only asks the best of himself. In fact, I couldn't ask for more.

P.S.: "You don't want to get chewed out by Rex Ryan." No, I reckon you don't. :)

Archived