Leon Tendered at 2nd Round Level?

slats

Just a tweet from Rich Cimini:

@TheJetsStream Nothing official yet, but it looks like RFAs Leon Washington and Brad Smith both will be tendered at the 2nd round level ($1.759 mil)

I think tendering Leon at the 2nd round pick level -if true- is an invitation to solicit offers. Brad Smith at the second round level guarantees he'll be here this year.

Just a tweet from Rich Cimini:

@TheJetsStream Nothing official yet, but it looks like RFAs Leon Washington and Brad Smith both will be tendered at the 2nd round level ($1.759 mil)

I think tendering Leon at the 2nd round pick level -if true- is an invitation to solicit offers. Brad Smith at the second round level guarantees he'll be here this year.

I love Leon, but I'd definitely consider taking a 2nd or possibly even a 3rd rounder for him. We simply don't know what he'll bring to the table next season and beyond. Considering we snagged him in the 4th round when he first came out (in exchange for Herm Edwards no less), that would be a very nice return on our investment.

I love Leon, but I'd definitely consider taking a 2nd or possibly even a 3rd rounder for him. We simply don't know what he'll bring to the table next season and beyond. Considering we snagged him in the 4th round when he first came out (in exchange for Herm Edwards no less), that would be a very nice return on our investment.

With a second round tender, someone could decide that Leon's worth exactly that and come up with an offer sheet. Anything higher than that, and a team would have to negotiate down with the Jets. With this being a relatively poor RB class, I could easily see a team look to "steal" him away.

But like I said, at that level, I'm sure the Jets are looking to deal.

I like Leon, but I liked the way Brad Smith filled in for him, too.

With a second round tender, someone could decide that Leon's worth exactly that and come up with an offer sheet. Anything higher than that, and a team would have to negotiate down with the Jets. With this being a relatively poor RB class, I could easily see a team look to "steal" him away.

But like I said, at that level, I'm sure the Jets are looking to deal.

I like Leon, but I liked the way Brad Smith filled in for him, too.

I'd almost be surprised if no one takes a bite at Brad Smith for a 2 and a measly $2 mil per year, if only for what he does for you on specials. A team with an innovator at OC who thinks they can do something with his versatility and athleticism could do well with a guy like Smith.

I don't think anyone takes a sniff at Leon without seeing him run and cut first. Poor Leon, btw. Guy should have had a contract in his pocket paying him upwards of $4 mil per for 5 years and now he has to settle for relative pennies. He should break his agent's leg.

I don't think anyone takes a sniff at Leon without seeing him run and cut first. Poor Leon, btw. Guy should have had a contract in his pocket paying him upwards of $4 mil per for 5 years and now he has to settle for relative pennies. He should break his agent's leg.

Yeah. He said he had no regrets shortly after the injury, but you know he has to have a ton of them. He'd be pocketing guaranteed millions this March instead of waiting out this RFA BS. I feel for him.

You really think someone might come after Smith? Without a poison pill, I can't imagine that the Jets wouldn't match.

What makes Leon so attractive is the lack of RB talent in this year's draft. He's on pace for a full recovery, and a break is easier to come back from than a sprain or tear. I think he generates real interest.

I'd almost be surprised if no one takes a bite at Brad Smith for a 2 and a measly $2 mil per year, if only for what he does for you on specials. A team with an innovator at OC who thinks they can do something with his versatility and athleticism could do well with a guy like Smith.

If Leon wanted to sign that deal, he could have.

Stupid is as stupid does....

Yeah. He said he had no regrets shortly after the injury, but you know he has to have a ton of them. He'd be pocketing guaranteed millions this March instead of waiting out this RFA BS. I feel for him.

You really think someone might come after Smith? Without a poison pill, I can't imagine that the Jets wouldn't match.

What makes Leon so attractive is the lack of RB talent in this year's draft. He's on pace for a full recovery, and a break is easier to come back from than a sprain or tear. I think he generates real interest.

Like with my fantasy of trading Rhodes, I think moving on from Brad Smith is my own wishful thining. Smith makes a nice run every few games, but in between he's a liability in the passing game because he has no feel for getting open. IMO, the team wastes too many snaps trying to figure out a way to tap into his talent. If you could replace him (and/or Clowney) with legit receiving options that know how to get open, even if you sacrifice some athleticism, you could go a long way towards helping Sanchez out. Throw in an added second round pick and I think that's a nice trade-off.

As for Leon, I really would be surprised if a team takes a chance at him and I think by offering him the 2nd round tender, Tannenbaum is almost daring teams to come after an injured RB. Quite the gamble on both sides. Should be interesting to watch!

It's a way to scare people off. Seems opposite of the way to do it right? Well, I bet people in league circles are now thinking Leon is not 100% healthy, or is progressing as expected... so they back away.

You think a 1st and 3rd round tender wouldn't have done just a little better at scaring people off? Its actually rather simple, the Jets obviously like Leon and plan to keep him around under the right circumstances. That said, he's not going to be their lead back and he's coming off of a season-ending injury, so he's not exactly untouchable. So the Jets put themselves in a position where they won't lose him for nothing, but also don't scare off other teams too much, tendering him at a spot that they feel comfortable with that compensation if they were to lose him.

Compare it to Edwards, who the Jets clearly have no expectations of getting a 1st and 3rd from, but clearly view him as a valuable enough commodity that they don't want to run any risk of losing him as an RFA.

With how Greene played to end the season and with Jones, despite late season struggles, having another good year, the Jets are in pretty good shape at RB, and picking up a second round pick would afford them an opportunity to pick up another key player in what's reportedly a very deep draft. Also keep in mind that this could very possibly give greater clarity to the Jets decision to sign Chauncey Washington to the active roster late last season, as the Jets might have felt then that they are in the position that for the right price, they are comfortable with parting ways with Leon.

I was dissapointed with how Leon played once he got more carries. Before he was far ahead of Thomas Jones in ypc, last year he was behind him. Think about it, Grandpa Jones had better ypc than Leon Washington. So I would be happy to get a second rounder for him. And to be honest, I sort of doubt Leon's mental stability considering how bizarre his refusal to sign a contract last year was. He has a family, not signing the $5M a year contract was insane. I think the reason he is on his third agent is the first two were telling him the truth.

I was dissapointed with how Leon played once he got more carries. Before he was far ahead of Thomas Jones in ypc, last year he was behind him. Think about it, Grandpa Jones had better ypc than Leon Washington. So I would be happy to get a second rounder for him. And to be honest, I sort of doubt Leon's mental stability considering how bizarre his refusal to sign a contract last year was. He has a family, not signing the $5M a year contract was insane. I think the reason he is on his third agent is the first two were telling him the truth.

The more carries you get, the less YPC you'll have.

Leon Washington is not a running back. He's a kick returner/play maker, and a damn good one at that. I'm happy we didn't sink the money we would have into him had he taken that deal.

This is actually a brilliant move for the Jets. If someone makes him an unreasonable long term offer, they get a relatively high pick in a deep draft, for a question mark at RB. If someone makes him a reasonable offer, they match it and keep him long term at a price they can live with. If nobody makes him a decent offer, that puts them in good negotiating position after the season.

That said, I would not be surprised at all if the Patriots snap Leon up. They have 3 2nd round picks, so they could afford to give one up, and need youth at RB. Add in that signing Leon would weaken their chief divisional rival . . . and yeah, I can see it.

In fact, if they want to poison pill the Jets, all they need to do is make sure 2011 has an unreasonably high cap number. If they can carry that number themselves, there'd be no better way to screw the Jets.

I was dissapointed with how Leon played once he got more carries. Before he was far ahead of Thomas Jones in ypc, last year he was behind him. Think about it, Grandpa Jones had better ypc than Leon Washington. So I would be happy to get a second rounder for him.

I tend to agree. I was saying the same things last season. Leon was a disappointment in his expanded role; it was Jones who was breaking the long runs. And Brad Smith looked as good or better running the Jets' version of the wildcat, and did a decent job returning kicks.

The Jets have Chauncey in reserve at RB, Allison coming off IR as a potential KOR, and they're most likely targeting WR's and CB's in the draft who could easily double as returners as well.

I definitely think the Jets're ready to let him go, and I really wouldn't be surprised to see someone snatch him up. The Pats and Colts are two really good possibilities - Jet rivals with low picks and a need at RB.

I keep going back to trying to envision what Leon's pregnant wife must have thought of Alvin Keels and if he's still welcome in their home even for a glass of lemonade at this point.

You think a 1st and 3rd round tender wouldn't have done just a little better at scaring people off? Its actually rather simple, the Jets obviously like Leon and plan to keep him around under the right circumstances. That said, he's not going to be their lead back and he's coming off of a season-ending injury, so he's not exactly untouchable. So the Jets put themselves in a position where they won't lose him for nothing, but also don't scare off other teams too much, tendering him at a spot that they feel comfortable with that compensation if they were to lose him.

Compare it to Edwards, who the Jets clearly have no expectations of getting a 1st and 3rd from, but clearly view him as a valuable enough commodity that they don't want to run any risk of losing him as an RFA.

With how Greene played to end the season and with Jones, despite late season struggles, having another good year, the Jets are in pretty good shape at RB, and picking up a second round pick would afford them an opportunity to pick up another key player in what's reportedly a very deep draft. Also keep in mind that this could very possibly give greater clarity to the Jets decision to sign Chauncey Washington to the active roster late last season, as the Jets might have felt then that they are in the position that for the right price, they are comfortable with parting ways with Leon.

Also BG, they signed that kid out of the CFL Larry Taylor who is a Leon Washington clone. I'm telling you guys, watch for this kid this spring and summer-we may have really found ourselves a diamond in the rough here.

Buzz: Second Round Tenders for Leon, Brad?

Posted on February 25th, 2010 by Bent

Cimini passes along the latest via twitter:

Nothing official yet, but it looks like RFAs Leon Washington and Brad Smith both will be tendered at the 2nd round level ($1.759 mil)

What happens next is that (once the league season starts on March 5th) any team can sign either of them to an offer sheet, which the Jets will then have seven days to (a) match or (B) decide not to match and collect a 2nd round pick in exchange for the player. If nobody signs either of them to an offer sheet, they will play out the season with a salary of $1.759 million.

Note: Because they are RFA

Yes, but 1 it would have guaranteed Leon more $, 2 it wouldn't have let a team or 2 negotiate for Leon therefore setting the price and making it easier on the Jets, and 3 it wouldn't have let a team with say a top 5 pick in round 2 to make an offer and give the Jets options.

Yes, but 1 it would have guaranteed Leon more $, 2 it wouldn't have let a team or 2 negotiate for Leon therefore setting the price and making it easier on the Jets, and 3 it wouldn't have let a team with say a top 5 pick in round 2 to make an offer and give the Jets options.

I would take a top 5 pick in the second round for leon in a sec. I like leon a lot but that is a pick you should get a good everyday starter.

A 2d round tender for Leon is Tanny taking a seat on the fence, IMO.

That is, he wants to keep Leon, but wouldn't mind getting a 2d rounder for him if another team wants him more.

So, I disagree with those saying that Tanny is inviting offers. Instead, he's saying that Leon is wanted but not offlimits. A 1st rounder or 1st & 3rd would have told teams that Leon is offlimits. Tanny wanted to avoid that apparently.

My gut tells me that Leon won't get an offer sheet elsewhere.

As to Brad Smith, I have a feeling that Tanny wanted to prevent a team like the Fins giving him an offer sheet. The Fins are a wildcat team and if Tanny gave Smith his positional tender (4th rounder), Parcells would have certainly giving him an offersheet. Smith for a 4th rounder is a better option than Pat White and would give them more flexibility with the advancing age of the Fins running backs.

My gut tells me that Leon won't get an offer sheet elsewhere.

I disagree. I wouldn't be surprised if there were a couple teams getting into a bidding war for his services. GM's out there looking at Leon's highlight reel and the poor RB class coming out, I think Leon winds up looking pretty attractive. Especially for a team picking late.

I disagree. I wouldn't be surprised if there were a couple teams getting into a bidding war for his services. GM's out there looking at Leon's highlight reel and the poor RB class coming out, I think Leon winds up looking pretty attractive. Especially for a team picking late.

Like the Pats?

You know what, the more I'm thinking getting 2 extra 2nd round picks wouldn't be the end of the world at all. I love Leon but his injury scares me, as well as him turning 28 by the beginning of training camp. What we'll have in 2011 are both Leon and Smith as UFA after their 1 year tender and we'll have to worry about extensions on a 29 year old back and a reciever who hasn't lived up to his billing.

IMO our best shot is our friends in Cleveland to take a bite at either of these guys, considering Mangini had a hard on for both. I can also see a team like Arizona take a bite on Leon to try and make a 1-2 punch running attack to try and take the pressure off Leinhert. Having 3 2nd round picks will give us some flexability to move up in the 1st to get our most desired prospect or could help us find diamonds deep in the 2nd to fill answer questions in the future (DE, CB, S, WR, RB)

I know it's technically a break in the leg, but I'd have to see him run first before I commit a nickel to him. Running backs last three years in this league, and the majority of the ones who take the early exit are the ones whose legs and knees get dinged up., I'd imagine. Leon, without his freakish lateral agility, is just not half the player he was. If he was a 220 lb. straight-line runner, I'd worry less. But this is an east-west guy who needs his bounce to be effective. Like I said earlier, it will be interesting to see if another team takes the bait that Tanny has clearly laid out here.

Tanny is preparing to absolutely wheel and deal this offseason. I love it. I don't necessarily love the idea of Leon with another team, he's one of my favorite Jets, but with an extra 2nd round pick in his pocket it just gives Trader Mike more ammo to move up. He loves to make moves in the draft, that's his MO.

Archived