Meadowlands new favorite for 2014 Superbowl?

jaspegs

Not gonna happen. It'd make no sense to have a SB in the freezing cold. They'll sooner move it to Miami again as they should.

Vic, you do realize that if the WSS had been built, the SB would have been in NY two weeks ago?

The NFL had also pledged to hold at least two more SBs there in the first 10 years the building was open to help it get built.

The NFL has been dying to hold a SB in NY. Football is played in cold weather. If they don't like it they can cry to mommy.

Vic, you do realize that if the WSS had been built, the SB would have been in NY two weeks ago?

The NFL had also pledged to hold at least two more SBs there in the first 10 years the building was open to help it get built.

The NFL has been dying to hold a SB in NY. Football is played in cold weather. If they don't like it they can cry to mommy.

You're welcome to believe whatever you want, we're all very well aware of that.

I think it's a relatively simply reason and one I'm not to blinded by my NY pride to see otherwise. The Superbowl is about making money. Lots of money. From Superweek, to the advertisers, to the seats themselves. I sincerely believe that with tickets costing in excess of 1K, people would be willing to sit in 15degree weather. I'm not even accounting for what the wind will be like in our new home since we don't really know yet, but if it's anything like the old place... well we all know how brutal it can get.

The Superbowl in itself is just a whole spectacle, and I can see the NE weather, which people who are still there are experiencing at this moment, is going to lend itself well to that.

You bring up the WSS but that never happened. And I could see that being more likely because it's IN NYC. The Meadowlands is not. Even if it's 15 minutes away... it's not in the city. Location, location, location. Another "northeast" team with a much more storied background than ourselves can't get a game in their house, Pittsburgh. That's because it's first, cold and secondly, not a prime location.

I think it's a relatively simply reason and one I'm not to blinded by my NY pride to see otherwise. The Superbowl is about making money. Lots of money. From Superweek, to the advertisers, to the seats themselves. I sincerely believe that with tickets costing in excess of 1K, people would be willing to sit in 15degree weather. I'm not even accounting for what the wind will be like in our new home since we don't really know yet, but if it's anything like the old place... well we all know how brutal it can get.

The Superbowl in itself is just a whole spectacle, and I can see the NE weather, which people who are still there are experiencing at this moment, is going to lend itself well to that.

You bring up the WSS but that never happened. And I could see that being more likely because it's IN NYC. The Meadowlands is not. Even if it's 15 minutes away... it's not in the city. Location, location, location. Another "northeast" team with a much more storied background than ourselves can't get a game in their house, Pittsburgh. That's because it's first, cold and secondly, not a prime location.

Vic, the NFL sells out conference championship games in played outdoor stadiums in northern cities at inflated ticket prices on a nearly annual basis.

I have little doubt the Super Bowl would sell out, regardless of it's location.

Having lived through SuperBowl week in Jacksonville, I can tell you that the key to a good Super Bowl city isn't the stadium or the weather. It's the facilties for parties in the week leading up to the game. New York's right up there with Miami, LA, New Orleans and Vegas in that department.

Vic, the NFL sells out conference championship games in played outdoor stadiums in northern cities at inflated ticket prices on a nearly annual basis.

I have little doubt the Super Bowl would sell out, regardless of it's location.

Having lived through SuperBowl week in Jacksonville, I can tell you that the key to a good Super Bowl city isn't the stadium or the weather. It's the facilties for parties in the week leading up to the game. New York's right up there with Miami, LA, New Orleans and Vegas in that department.

In the dead of winter? I guess I never felt that way which is why I don't think it'd work great. IMO NY'ers run to those places during that time of the year to GET AWAY from that weather to party it up and enjoy the sun.

If it does happen it's going to be because the major businesses in the NYC area will pour the money into the NFL for it.

In the dead of winter? I guess I never felt that way which is why I don't think it'd work great. IMO NY'ers run to those places during that time of the year to GET AWAY from that weather to party it up and enjoy the sun.

If it does happen it's going to be because the major businesses in the NYC area will pour the money into the NFL for it.

How many people flock to Times Square every New Years Eve "just to be there?" Very few of them are New Yorkers.

Not gonna happen. It'd make no sense to have a SB in the freezing cold. They'll sooner move it to Miami again as they should.

It is going to happen. They need to sell naming rights to this stadium. The NFL is months away from a stadium opening for two teams in the NY Market with no naming rights.

Can't have that happen.

Bingo!

Plus, Peter King is a moron.

Plus-Plus, with the kind of winter NJ/NY/PA has had this year - massive snow storms, shut down airports, etc., me thinks they would rethink any thoughts they may have about a SB in the Northeast.

Bingo!

Plus, Peter King is a moron.

Plus-Plus, with the kind of winter NJ/NY/PA has had this year - massive snow storms, shut down airports, etc., me thinks they would rethink any thoughts they may have about a SB in the Northeast.

Peter King is a moron.

I live in NY and think a Super Bowl in our neighboring swamp is a bad idea.

But I think this is gonna happen. The Commish has been pushing this for a while now. Your own Bob Kraft is one of the idea's biggest proponents (presumably so he can get his own SB one day). It's no slam dunk, but I definitely think it's more likely than not.

Peter King is a moron.

I live in NY and think a Super Bowl in our neighboring swamp is a bad idea.

But I think this is gonna happen. The Commish has been pushing this for a while now. Your own Bob Kraft is one of the idea's biggest proponents (presumably so he can get his own SB one day). It's no slam dunk, but I definitely think it's more likely than not.

Horrid idea. And this is coming from someone who witnessed one of the greatest snow games "evah." Just what I would want - drunks slipping and sliding on black ice, motorists who don't know how to drive in the snow and freezing my azz off at a game. Fun :rolleyes:

I think the Commish is full of horrid ideas though - so I guess you are right. It will happen some day. Meh.

Why does everyone have a hard on for a SB in the Northeast? The NFL is played by athletic freaks and I want to see these guys showcased on even playing field. I want to see big plays from star players, not weather possibly playing a huge factor. You can have that in any game leading up to the SB but in the big game gimme the 2 best on a clean field.

Plus, the NFL is all about offense now. You cant touch the QB, you cant touch the WR after 5 yards; it seems everything is structured to give offenses the advantage. So why in the world take a chance to play a SB in the NE where 5 degree weather or a blizzard could happen?

....This is why they should have put a retractable dome on the new place. Streams of revenue galore - A Super Bowl, the Final Four, MLS soccer, MMA, WWE, year round concerts, maybe a college bowl game.

There is a reason why Detroit and Indy got super bowls. Domed stadiums.

NY made a big mistake not having a retractable roof.

How can you say they made a mistake? It looks right now like they will get a Super Bowl without the roof.

Let this play out. Besides regardless of the Super Bowl the Jets are a cold weather team. They don't want to play indoors, so it wasn't a mistake.

I can swear I heard they can do something to make a temp dome.. that they constructed to place to be able to handle a temp dome... that was in the early stages though.

I think that plan got scrapped halfway through the waiting list. After 10,000 calls that all ended in no thanks, they had to start cutting costs. :-P

How can you say they made a mistake? It looks right now like they will get a Super Bowl without the roof.

Let this play out. Besides regardless of the Super Bowl the Jets are a cold weather team. They don't want to play indoors, so it wasn't a mistake.

It was a mistake because a retractable roof stadium can house virtually any event to help pay for construction costs. The Jerry Jones dome just hosted the NBA Allstar game. NY would be a lock for a SB if the new venue had a roof.

The Jets could just leave the roof open for all 8 games.

I agree with PR that it was a mistake not to include at least a retractable roof on the new stadium. I think New York City blew it when they didn't build a domed stadium either. The largest metropolitan area in the country, and we can't hold a really giant event in the winter.

What's wrong with these guys????

It was a mistake because a retractable roof stadium can house virtually any event to help pay for construction costs. The Jerry Jones dome just hosted the NBA Allstar game. NY would be a lock for a SB if the new venue had a roof.

The Jets could just leave the roof open for all 8 games.

You don't think the collective ownership weighed the cost benefits? You think it was just like, wow, that is another 400 million, let's pass on that. These guys are in the business of making money, to act is if they didn't study and research this just isn't accurate.

Archived