The Book Thread

HessStation

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With two small kids my book reading hasn't gotten very tough! Started Dan Brown's new book, haven't had a chance to get into it.

Blind Side was a good book.

Anyone reading anything good lately? Anyone care to share their favorites? I'll refrain from going off on a tangent with my own, personal lists for now, in hopes to have a level field of conversation.

The field I converse in is unlevel. The last book I opened was matches

:rim::D

LOL. You are a man's man Burger. For that I salute you. :cheers:

In all seriousness the first book I read for pleasure was after I graduated college lol.

But now with kids...and their shows I read a TON of books as can't deal with Hannah Montana etc anymore. We can sit together on the couch and just be in two different worlds I guess...ok so maybe I'm not getting any father of the year awards for this but it's not as bad as it sounds. :DMostly reading helps my insomnia at night.

I just heard a study that reading before bed is bad for your sleep patterns.

I also heard the AMA found that 22% of all studies are misleading...

I dunno:huh:

Study: Alligators Dangerous No Matter How Drunk You Are

May 10, 2006 | Issue 42•19

BATON ROUGE, LA—In a breakthrough study that contradicts decades of understanding about the nature of alligator–drunkard relations, Louisiana State University researchers have concluded that people's drunkenness does not impair the ancient reptiles' ability to inflict enormous physical harm. Alligators exhibit the potential to inflict serious harm, regardless of the blood-alcohol levels of their victims.

"Our data strongly indicates that human intoxication does not transform an alligator into a docile creature that enjoys wrestling," said professor Ryder McCrory, chair of the Wildlife Taunting Department of LSU's prestigious Center For Bullying And Hazing Studies. "Despite its slow-witted demeanor and tendency to bask motionlessly in the hot sun, it's a mistake to believe that an alligator will passively tolerate a half nelson, no matter how much Southern Comfort is fueling it."

McCrory said the study yielded statistics that speak for themselves.

"In 10 out of 10 documented cases of violent alligator–drunkard encounters, the reptile was not influenced by the fact that the victim was 'just kidding' or 'just having some fun,'" McCrory said.

To an alligator, McCrory explained, a human forearm, even drunkenly dangled between the creature's casually opened jaws, still appears to be prey.

In field experiments, members of the control group performed no better-—and often far worse—than their sober counterparts in defending themselves against a 300-pound, seven-foot bull alligator. Even when armed with an empty tequila bottle.

"At best, the bottles bounced harmlessly off the alligator's snout," said LSU research assistant Tracy Sawyer.

When placed in water, the drunken volunteers fared even worse, and the alligator markedly better, Sawyer said.

In addition, the alligators far outperformed their inebriated human counterparts in the following areas: lunging, biting, crushing, dismembering, and swallowing.

Study-Alligators-Jump-C.article.jpg Drunkard Jim Boudreaux taunts the alligator he called "a total *****" in front of friends.

According to the study, an alligator's characteristic grin should not be interpreted as a lighthearted reaction to the outrageous nerve of an alcohol-addled human. "Don't let an alligator's easygoing appearance fool you," Sawyer said. "These creatures have no empathy for drunken pranksters looking for fun. They are not black bears."

With two small kids my book reading hasn't gotten very tough! Started Dan Brown's new book, haven't had a chance to get into it.

Blind Side was a good book.

I remember my sister read the Blind Side and said it was great!

I'll get around to watching the movie at some point but I can only read fiction for some reason.

Been reading a lot of Chuck Klosterman lately. Killing Yourself to Live is one of the best books I've ever read, very funny. IV and Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs are two very good short story collections.

I read The Lost Symbol a few weeks back. It was a decent book, but needlessly long. Dan Brown's editors must be afraid of doing their jobs.

I just finished I'll Sleep When I'm Dead: The Dirty Life and Times of Warren Zevon. I recently got into his music and was interested in his story. The guy was crazy. Pure rock & roll.

Some of my favorite authors:

JRR Tolkien

Fyodor Dostoevsky

Leo Tolstoy

Albert Camus

Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Elie Wiesel

Kurt Vonnegut

There are some great suggestions here: http://jetnation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48733&page=2

That's some hardcore **** right there. A lot of heavy authors. Always wanted to get to Camus. Always come close to picking up The Stranger. Vonnegut is the only guy I've read out of those and only the two obvious ones. SH5 and Cats Cradle. Besides the fact that it was like Patterson in that they both took about a two days to read I didn't catch the whole aura of Vonnegut as much as I would have liked but I always apprectiate that sorta...ironic cleverness. Chuck Palahnuik is one of my favorite authors for the same reason. I just don't care for authors who have too much of a political agenda, right or left. Vonnegut came close to being...I don't know, too liberal, and has that whole almighty, look how dumb they are thing going on . Kind of like Upton Sinclair in that I really liked the book but maybe it's a little to preachy and trying to persuade me to "join the crusade" type thing. I don't know wtf I'm talking about maybe. Just some over-indulgent thoughts I guess.

Be

I just finished I'll Sleep When I'm Dead: The Dirty Life and Times of Warren Zevon. I recently got into his music and was interested in his story. The guy was crazy. Pure rock & roll.

That reminds of the movie, I'll Sleep When I'm Dead? It always catches my eye at the store but I've yet to see it. I'm guessing the two have nothing to do with each other. Warren Zevon's music is out of this world in that really nothing else sounds like it. Like it or not he should get more credit for being so original.

Reading the Bill James Historical Abstract for the 3rd time...you learn something interesting every time. James is an excellent writer, and I eat, breathe, and sleep baseball when I remember who I am.

Strongly recommend World War Z to everyone. Just a really good read...

Reading World War Z has been on my to do list for quite some time. Anyone who is smart enough to write for SNL deserves some credit. But is it scary? As I stated in your horror movie thread I'm in the middle of reading I Am Legend. Really good and I get why it's considered a classic.

Also recently read Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle...Wow that book is hilarious.

Also, Rum Diaries by Hunter S. Thompson...his only true novel...wrote it at 22.

I've said it many times, but the World According to Garp made me want to be a writer. Not really a John Irving fan, but maybe I just haven't read enough of his work. He's like a non-horror Stephen King, if that makes sense to anyone. Writes like a guy who grew up in the suburbs during the 50's...

The Picture of Dorian Gray is a personal favorite...Wilde's characterization of Victorian society and ideals is surprisingly modern, and you have to admire how he put so much of himself into Basil, Dorian, and Lord Henry....3 distinctly different characters.

I've never gotten around to reading Lolita...I feel as if I should.

Also recently read Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle...Wow that book is hilarious.

Also, Rum Diaries by Hunter S. Thompson...his only true novel...wrote it at 22.

I've said it many times, but the World According to Garp made me want to be a writer. Not really a John Irving fan, but maybe I just haven't read enough of his work. He's like a non-horror Stephen King, if that makes sense to anyone. Writes like a guy who grew up in the suburbs during the 50's...

The Picture of Dorian Gray is a personal favorite...Wilde's characterization of Victorian society and ideals is surprisingly modern, and you have to admire how he put so much of himself into Basil, Dorian, and Lord Henry....3 distinctly different characters.

I've never gotten around to reading Lolita...I feel as if I should.

Hmm, You've just peaked my interest in wanting to read WAtG. I'm a huge Stephen King fan. He is actually one of the few authors I read for fun in my youth and still actively read today. I, at times, had a hard time with it but in the end I loved...loved Duma Key. He gets almost too dark and deep at times but that book wowed me and I thought it was one of his best endings ever. GREAT monster in that book.

I own Lolita which I picked up at a used book store but have yet to read. I always loved the movie. Kubrick is probably my favorite director of all time. Even Eyes Wide Shut I loved.

I'm currently reading The Robot's Rebellion.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0226771253/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0226770893&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1BEH6D4SRH8XEZ2VFT9V

Essentially, it's a book that builds on the work of Richard Dawkins (The Selfish Gene) about how our genes do not exist for us to replicate ourselves, but rather, we exist for our genes to replicate themselves. In the most simple way, he explains this as genes are more relevant than the people who create them. Your children have only 50% of your genetics, your grandchildren only have 25%, and so on, however, genes are what are acted upon by natural selection and what survive or die (along with their 'vehicle', that's you) based on the current conditions.

The author of The Robot's Rebellion, Stanovich, is a cognitive scientist who explores the consequences of Universal Darwinism from a Psychological perspective, and talks about ways in which we can combat our biology and find meaning as more than just 'vehicles' for our genes.

It's pretty much intellectual masturbation... But I like to masturbate.

Ok. Just finished Richard Matheson's I Am Legend. I wish I read the book first although they are very different. It was definitely worth reading. Was very good and an easy, quick read. I like his style of writing. Doesn't really let up on the tension at any point. Book>Movie, which is almost always the case I guess.

Before that I read Dean Koontz's Watchers which was a disapointment. So many of his fans always rank the book with such high regard which is why I picked it up in a used book store. Koontz usually misses for me yet I continually read his books. The Face was a let down, the Odd Thomas books have been let downs since the first one. Midnight was sort of a let down. By the Light of the Moon was ok. I would pick The Taking as my personal favorite, which most of his fans don't seem to like, go figure.

Ok. Just finished Richard Matheson's I Am Legend. I wish I read the book first although they are very different. It was definitely worth reading. Was very good and an easy, quick read. I like his style of writing. Doesn't really let up on the tension at any point. Book>Movie, which is almost always the case I guess.

Before that I read Dean Koontz's Watchers which was a disapointment. So many of his fans always rank the book with such high regard which is why I picked it up in a used book store. Koontz usually misses for me yet I continually read his books. The Face was a let down, the Odd Thomas books have been let downs since the first one. Midnight was sort of a let down. By the Light of the Moon was ok. I would pick The Taking as my personal favorite, which most of his fans don't seem to like, go figure.

I've read a lot of Koontz, and my favorite is Phantoms. The good thing about Koontz, as you've already mentioned, is that he's such an easy read. Perfect airplane fodder.

When I was your age my author list was amazingly similar (just add Ian Flemming).

I must be doing something wrong then! (just kidding...)

I've never checked Fleming out. I have like 15 books at the house that I've yet to read but between the SAT, APs, SAT IIs, school, extracurriculars, and other stuff I've been forced to put my reading on the backburner.

The thing by Conquest I'm reading now is for european history class, but it's still interesting. Non-fiction writing makes my head spin though, it's so inaccessible. I have some background knowledge from reading Solzhenitsyn but not nearly enough to make it smooth sailing. It just forces my reading to be more active, I suppose.

That's some hardcore **** right there. A lot of heavy authors. Always wanted to get to Camus. Always come close to picking up The Stranger. Vonnegut is the only guy I've read out of those and only the two obvious ones. SH5 and Cats Cradle. Besides the fact that it was like Patterson in that they both took about a two days to read I didn't catch the whole aura of Vonnegut as much as I would have liked but I always apprectiate that sorta...ironic cleverness. Chuck Palahnuik is one of my favorite authors for the same reason. I just don't care for authors who have too much of a political agenda, right or left. Vonnegut came close to being...I don't know, too liberal, and has that whole almighty, look how dumb they are thing going on . Kind of like Upton Sinclair in that I really liked the book but maybe it's a little to preachy and trying to persuade me to "join the crusade" type thing. I don't know wtf I'm talking about maybe. Just some over-indulgent thoughts I guess.

The particular biases of certain authors can get annoying and overdone at times. Vonnegut's sarcasm is amusing, but he's overkill with it in certain books. Although sometimes those same agendas can make the books more interesting by seeing how it impacts the writing. Too much of the same though is never a good thing.

Some of my favorite authors:

JRR Tolkien

Fyodor Dostoevsky

Leo Tolstoy

Albert Camus

Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Elie Wiesel

Kurt Vonnegut

There are some great suggestions here: http://jetnation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48733&page=2

i went thru a Vonnegut phase where i couldnt get enough of his books.. read one right after another.

also love Elie Wiesel but cant read his books at night .. they just make me unable to sleep, and sad.

no Ayn Rand? I thought that would be in your repertoire, war.

Just finished The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb. It's fiction but fun.

LOVE wally lamb. "She comes undone" is one of my top favorite books. I havent read this one yet.

I just finished When Will Jesus Bring The Porkchops? by George Carlin.

Light reading, some very funny stuff.

got to love Carlin. He makes me laugh.

I use to love John Irving, and i still think his mid career work is amazing, but i haven't enjoyed some of his later works, though i hear his latest book is good, and i might try and pick it up.

I just finished When Will Jesus Bring The Porkchops? by George Carlin.

Light reading, some very funny stuff.

My funniest book is Lamb by Christopher Moore. I've recommended that book to like 3-4 other people and they all actually agreed. At least the first half actually makes you burst out loud with laughter. It's probably my favorite book of all time or close to it.

My funniest book is Lamb by Christopher Moore. I've recommended that book to like 3-4 other people and they all actually agreed. At least the first half actually makes you burst out loud with laughter. It's probably my favorite book of all time or close to it.

Just ordered it based on this.

i went thru a Vonnegut phase where i couldnt get enough of his books.. read one right after another.

also love Elie Wiesel but cant read his books at night .. they just make me unable to sleep, and sad.

no Ayn Rand? I thought that would be in your repertoire, war.

I happened to buy a copy of Atlas Shrugged a couple weeks ago. Don't tell anyone.

But seriously though, I haven't had the time. Junior year has too much isht going on.

Archived