The Book Thread

HessStation

LOL db.

So I finished I am Legend, very good, quick read.

Finally read the DaVinci Code. I liked it a lot.

Then I read Stephen King's Cell, which I also liked a lot.

I also read a Sandman graphic novel which my brother in law, who is a comic freak, gave me after I told him I was a Neil Gailman fan. The only other graphic novels I'd read were 300 and Watchmen, both of which I liked as well. Anyway this Sandman book was pretty cool too.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL db.

So I finished I am Legend, very good, quick read.

Finally read the DaVinci Code. I liked it a lot.

Then I read Stephen King's Cell, which I also liked a lot.

I also read a Sandman graphic novel which my brother in law, who is a comic freak, gave me after I told him I was a Neil Gailman fan. The only other graphic novels I'd read were 300 and Watchmen, both of which I liked as well. Anyway this Sandman book was pretty cool too.

Just started Lamb. I'll let you know.

Two recommendations:

Just finished City of Thieves, very good read set in WWII Leningrad. Short, quick read but I liked it a LOT.

Also read The Given Day by Dennis Lehane (Gone Baby Gone, Mystic River). Also a good fictional history read about Boston circa 1918, end of WWI, the Police Strike, the flu pandeminc, Babe Ruth, racism, anarchists and bombings.

Thanks, Stokes. Both sound interesting.

I get a lot of my books from the Austin library, but they don't have any copies of City of Thieves. That stinks.

They didn't have The Given Day at my branch. So I checked out Gone Baby Gone, and put a hold on The Given Day. I'll get that when they transfer it from another branch.

I didn't know he wrote Mystic River. I lived in Mystic for 3 years. Interesting place.

Just started Lamb. I'll let you know.

Two recommendations:

Just finished City of Thieves, very good read set in WWII Leningrad. Short, quick read but I liked it a LOT.

Also read The Given Day by Dennis Lehane (Gone Baby Gone, Mystic River). Also a good fictional history read about Boston circa 1918, end of WWI, the Police Strike, the flu pandeminc, Babe Ruth, racism, anarchists and bombings.

Thanks, Stokes. Both sound interesting.

I get a lot of my books from the Austin library, but they don't have any copies of City of Thieves. That stinks.

They didn't have The Given Day at my branch. So I checked out Gone Baby Gone, and put a hold on The Given Day. I'll get that when they transfer it from another branch.

I didn't know he wrote Mystic River. I lived in Mystic for 3 years. Interesting place.

• 1 month later...

Finished Michael Lewis's "The Big Short". Confusing, and seems Lewis falls in love with those who will talk to him. Still an interesting take on our financial troubles. Doesn't discuss nearly enough the idiocy that was the retail mortgage market before this all happened, but his focus is Wall Street.

Archived