WR stock via the Draft is getting destroyed right now...and that's good for Jet fans

HessStation

First we hear that Demaryius Thomas breaks his foot. Eric Decker is just getting the nuts and bolts taken out of his foot this week. Danario Alexander is still not ready due to yet another knee injury. And then Dez Bryant is out with a hamstring.

You can now add a horrendous amount of slow 40 times from top WR prospects to the equation.

Arrelious Benn WR/Illinois

Thanks for the update, Hess.

I hope Tanny can pull a rabbit out of his ass and trade Clemens for a 3rd or 4th. That would be a perfect spot to draft one of these WRs.

Clemens has little to no value except in our eyes as a backup. We'd be lucky to get a 5th for him, a 4th is asking ALOT for a guy whose a JAG. I was a HUGE supporter of Clemens before this year, and believed he could've started the season with a strong TC...but he's not a good QB. He proved it against Tampa and throughout the preseason. He'll be a Jet 1-2 more years and is going to be a career backup

Clemens has little to no value except in our eyes as a backup. We'd be lucky to get a 5th for him, a 4th is asking ALOT for a guy whose a JAG. I was a HUGE supporter of Clemens before this year, and believed he could've started the season with a strong TC...but he's not a good QB. He proved it against Tampa and throughout the preseason. He'll be a Jet 1-2 more years and is going to be a career backup

Clemens for a 4th rounder is better value than a rookie 4th round QB.

Damn I thought Shipley was faster.

What was Wes Welker's 40 time? Anyone have that stat? Hook a sista up!:)

Welker was not invited to the Combine but it is reported that he ran from 4.55-4.60's.

It's hard to really determine if you want to try and compare. I'm not one to think 40's are the Holy Grail but it is what it is. It's a very important paper stat. Shipley's probably run 4.5's in his life, somewhere. But it depends who's clocking and what turf/surface they're running on. Sometimes you just have an off day. Never the less these poor times are not helping anybody. Especially when a 6'6 314 pound Bruce Campbell runs a 4.75 on the same surface under the same clock.

Welker was not invited to the Combine but it is reported that he ran from 4.55-4.60's.

It's hard to really determine if you want to try and compare. I'm not one to think 40's are the Holy Grail but it is what it is. It's a very important paper stat. Shipley's probably run 4.5's in his life, somewhere. But it depends who's clocking and what turf/surface they're running on. Sometimes you just have an off day. Never the less these poor times are not helping anybody. Especially when a 6'6 314 pound Bruce Campbell runs a 4.75 on the same surface under the same clock.

All true, and this just shows how the combine is close to nonsense. If I am going to get a slot WR, I want to know how fast he is for 10 and 20 yards. I know they have the #s.. I want to see those.

I also am more concerned with how someone PLAYS. Shipley gets open. Is it a product of his offense or is it a product of him being very QUICK but not very FAST (like Welker)? Who knows.

Look at Vernon Gholston. He was a bottom of #1, top of #2 pick. He had a great workout season (not necessarily at the combine) and bam, #6.. and we bite.

4.61, and he wasn't invited to the combine (which means at the time they didn't think he's be drafted)

Thanks guys.

I want Shipley in the third round if he's still available. I think he can be our version of Welker.

My choice Mardy Gilyard WR/Cincinnati.

But where? He's probably dropped himself into the 3rd round. I wouldn't mind him in the 2nd. I can now see a scenerio where one of those top end WR's are there at 29 and quite possibly somewhere in the early to mid 2nd. And then look at a Gilyard or a Shipley there in the 3rd. So do they trade back, gather more picks and still come away with the guy they want. Due to some of these 40's I can see it as a strong possibility. Unless this is somehow the year that teams stop looking at 40's. These guys also have their pro-days to redeem themselves if nessesary.

demyarius thomas from gt was the guy i wanted in the second. i thought he'd be great coming from the triple option. he can block, big wr, with good hands. with a broken foot i'd he'd drop to the third, but we don't have a third so who knows. i see tate lit it up. he'll probably be out of reach for us.

I'd still say cb or de for us in the first. depending who falls.

Thanks guys.

I want Shipley in the third round if he's still available. I think he can be our version of Welker.

Yeah Shipley, with this 40 is most likely a day 2 pick. Where I'm not sure. Would just be guessing but Ausin Collie wasn't picked until the 4th. Similar speed, size and hands.

demyarius thomas from gt was the guy i wanted in the second. i thought he'd be great coming from the triple option. he can block, big wr, with good hands. with a broken foot i'd he'd drop to the third, but we don't have a third so who knows. i see tate lit it up. he'll probably be out of reach for us.

I'd still say cb or de for us in the first. depending who falls.

It's crazy b/c there are so many questions this year. My thinking is for the guys who aren't participating (Thomas, Bryant, Decker, Alexander etc) this is probably a good thing based on everyone's times.

The one guys you feel like you know for sure is a 1st rounder is Golden Tate (and obviously Bryant)

Riley Cooper and some of the others have some size on them so their 40 times are okay for their size. Maybe the times are slow this year because so many of the WRs are big. Damian Williams is only 6'1'', but I think he's still big enough to get by with that 40 time.

But the Jets have no third and fourth round picks so I'm not sure if any of these players should be drafted. If these players fall they might fall into the mid rounds where the Jets don't have a pick.

Riley Cooper and some of the others have some size on them so their 40 times are okay for their size. Maybe the times are slow this year because so many of the WRs are big. Damian Williams is only 6'1'', but I think he's still big enough to get by with that 40 time.

But the Jets have no third and fourth round picks so I'm not sure if any of these players should be drafted. If these players fall they might fall into the mid rounds where the Jets don't have a pick.

Then how do you explain Bruce Campbell running a 4.75 at 316 lbs.

Good thing the Jets don't need a WR other than a slot receiver.

Jets need a WR, a good one. They don't have enough picks to try to pigeonhole a "slot receiver." They have Jerricho Cotchery, who can move inside in 3 WR sets. They just need to do their homework get the best WR prospect available.

I'm not hung up on 40 times, but I hope these slow times push a very good receiver down to one of the Jets' first two picks. If not, I pretty much fully expect Tanny to trade a 2011 pick to either get another pick in rounds 2-4, or to trade up in one of the first two rounds. No way he sits tight, and next year's picks is his primary commodity.

Jets need a WR, a good one. They don't have enough picks to try to pigeonhole a "slot receiver." They have Jerricho Cotchery, who can move inside in 3 WR sets. They just need to do their homework get the best WR prospect available.

I'm not hung up on 40 times, but I hope these slow times push a very good receiver down to one of the Jets' first two picks. If not, I pretty much fully expect Tanny to trade a 2011 pick to either get another pick in rounds 2-4, or to trade up in one of the first two rounds. No way he sits tight, and next year's picks is his primary commodity.

You'd go WR even if it's a reach pick?

Yep.

Chances are a top CB would still be available at 29 and would be better value than any of the WRs. The same for DL.

Bryant and Tate will be gone and nobody else is remotely worth it in the first round. Probably not the second either. I don't even care about the 40 times. The receiving class is just bad. Right now it looks like the value is at DL at 29 and CB at 61.

Hess, do you consider McCluster as a WR in this draft or would you keep him at RB? He's a dark horse guy I like for the Jets, particularly if Leon leaves.

From what I've gathered just from reading a bunch of different sites is that the guy would be used as a weapon in multiple formations. Would be seen in a lot of different positions, primarily as a slot WR and/or a 3rd down back. But Im not sure how I would feel about a 170 lb back blocking a 260lb blitzing OLB off the edge.

He'd been seen kind of like a Reggie Bush in NO.

Archived