WR stock via the Draft is getting destroyed right now...and that's good for Jet fans

HessStation

All true, and this just shows how the combine is close to nonsense. If I am going to get a slot WR, I want to know how fast he is for 10 and 20 yards. I know they have the #s.. I want to see those.

I also am more concerned with how someone PLAYS. Shipley gets open. Is it a product of his offense or is it a product of him being very QUICK but not very FAST (like Welker)? Who knows.

Look at Vernon Gholston. He was a bottom of #1, top of #2 pick. He had a great workout season (not necessarily at the combine) and bam, #6.. and we bite.

Shipley is still the one I'd like to get for the slot. The guy just seems to get open, but some of his moves to get open were pretty slick. 40 times are great to see how fast someone can run in a straight line (Clowney) but it doesn't necessarily measure how elusive they are in the open field. That's the type of receiver we should be looking for IMO.

Welker was not invited to the Combine but it is reported that he ran from 4.55-4.60's.

It's hard to really determine if you want to try and compare. I'm not one to think 40's are the Holy Grail but it is what it is. It's a very important paper stat. Shipley's probably run 4.5's in his life, somewhere. But it depends who's clocking and what turf/surface they're running on. Sometimes you just have an off day. Never the less these poor times are not helping anybody. Especially when a 6'6 314 pound Bruce Campbell runs a 4.75 on the same surface under the same clock.

Holy Cow. You would think theirs some law of physics to prevent that. Amazing how fast these big athletes are becoming. WOW

The correct answer wasn't even at the combine: Brandyn Harvey.

Now ya'll can go about whatever you were doing. I solved the WR problem for you.

If we're talking 'Nova receivers I like Norman White in a couple years, Harvey's hands bother me a little ;) though the punt return experience is nice. Not too sure about White's speed but I think he's going to be a monster before he's gone, love the way he plays.

From the original I think Cooper and Dez Briscoe are the most interesting guys who didn't do too well. Cooper is a solid run blocker with a great frame and seems to play faster than that time, and Briscoe is really talented despite having some maturing to do apparently.

Thomas would be a great pick too, particularly if Tanny could nab a 3rd or 4th, but I'd be okay with it late 2 I think. Again a good run blocker which I think really factors into the equation and he's got a boatload of potential. Supposedly he was running 4.38 before that foot injury and he put up nice numbers with poor QB play in a triple option offense...pretty raw route runner though.

Archived