Jets Trade with Chargers for CB Cromartie: MERGED

Aten

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like this deal.

Conditional pick, so our investment is covered... and despite his flaws, Cromartie is still better than every other player we lined up across from Revis in 2009.

Now, a nickelback and a trade involving Mrs. Rhodes.

Then we count down to the draft... and everything else is gravy. I have a feeling that the Jets are going to be in BPA position come the draft... which would be a wish come true IMO.

Not to be Debbie Downer here, but is anyone else at least a little bit troubled that what is a Super Bowl contending team just practically gave away one of the best athletes on its roster? AJ Smith is a smart guy. Hard to believe he'd let himself get taken in a deal like this.

Not to be Debbie Downer here, but is anyone else at least a little bit troubled that what is a Super Bowl contending team just practically gave away one of the best athletes on its roster? AJ Smith is a smart guy. Hard to believe he'd let himself get taken in a deal like this.

I agree with you but he also did hand over the most talented roster in the league to Norv Turner

Well, I think the big X-factor here is that Cromartie was great under a ballbuster HC like Marty Schottenheimer and fell off under a career punani in Norv Turner who doesn't even speak to his defensive players. I'm sure Rex and Pettine will light a fire under his ass.

What this means to me, though, is that Kerry Rhodes becomes eminently tradeable now. Cromartie doesn't need the help that a Lowery or Sheppard did, not to mention that Rhodes and Cromartie in the same secondary would combine to form the softest secondary combo in league history. Now, imo, the Jets can afford to lose a little something in terms of range at safety and exchange it for some muscle.

Interesting point about the differences in coaches.

In terms of Rhodes, I could see him getting traded for less than great value but the Jets turning around and making Lowery a safety. His range would probably be his major downfall but he studies his ass off in the film room (at least that's what reports said out of SJS, when we drafted him). Everyone knows he has great hands. I would be just fine going into 2010 with Lowery, Smith and Leonhard as safeties. Not to mention Idhegibo, who is supposed to be turning it around a bit.

Good pick up, i just hope the front seven can stop the RB's before they get to Cromartie's side.

I just hope he doesn't suck too badly.

He looked pretty awful in that divisional round game.

Ron Rivera is no Rex Ryan.

Methinks the change of scenery will help Cro a LOT in 2010. Hope he flourishes in this system.

In terms of Rhodes, I could see him getting traded for less than great value but the Jets turning around and making Lowery a safety. His range would probably be his major downfall but he studies his ass off in the film room (at least that's what reports said out of SJS, when we drafted him). Everyone knows he has great hands. I would be just fine going into 2010 with Lowery, Smith and Leonhard as safeties. Not to mention Idhegibo, who is supposed to be turning it around a bit.

Good pick up, i just hope the front seven can stop the RB's before they get to Cromartie's side.

I'd love to see Lowery get the chance at FS. He's smaller than tampon boy but heart can make up for a lot of size in that position. They'd break him of falling for play action by the time the season starts.

Interesting on Lowery there. I think it's clear that he's just not going to cut it as an NFL corner. He's not quick enough to cover the slot and he's a step too slow to cover the faster outside receivers. Given that, learning how to play safety may be his best chance at making the roster. I'd still like to see the team go out and get somebody to replace Rhodes should he leave, though. I think they need a big hitter back there, and they can do that now with Cromartie and Revis playing man on the outside.

No, not really.

The 2 QBs Smith gave up (Eli and Brees) have won SBs while the QB of Smith's choice (Rivers) has not.

All of Cromartie's SEVEN kids are under 5. The guy is a complete dumbass apparently. Hopefully he's learned.

Judging from history...New York City is not the greatest place to turn around a checkered past.

I just hope he doesn't shoot himself in the leg before the playoffs.

We are one pass rusher away from being a ****ing LIGHT OUT defense...we did wonders without Jenkins last year...add him, cromartie, and certainly we'll get a good pass rusher at some point and you're looking at an average opponent scoring average of 9 ppg.

We are one pass rusher away from being a ****ing LIGHT OUT defense...we did wonders without Jenkins last year...add him, cromartie, and certainly we'll get a good pass rusher at some point and you're looking at an average opponent scoring average of 9 ppg.

Agreed. I said the same thing earlier.

Maybe Tanny will trade up now for Brandon Graham?

Thought 1: Not a big fan of Cromartie

Thought 2: He is an upgrade from Lito

Thought 3: Despite not being a big fan of his, he is better than any CB you can realistically expect to get in the 3rd round of the 2011 (or any) draft.

Thought 4: Mike T is the man and has freed up our draft board.

Thought 5: Mike T rocks.

Thought 1: Not a big fan of Cromartie

Thought 2: He is an upgrade from Lito

Thought 3: Despite not being a big fan of his, he is better than any CB you can realistically expect to get in the 3rd round of the 2011 (or any) draft.

Thought 4: Mike T is the man and has freed up our draft board.

Thought 5: Mike T rocks.

Before this trade I said similar. I don't love the guy, but he's significantly better than anything we've got on the other side of Revis.

Archived