Jets Trade with Chargers for CB Cromartie: MERGED

Aten

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I loathe the Rhodes tackling red herring.

Tackling isn't the important problem with Rhodes. It's just the one that fans like to highlight out of frustration. In the grand scheme of things the tackling issue is not the one keeping Rhodes from being elite.

His lack of aggression in coverage is what's keeping him from being elite. Rhodes takes the safe play all the time since he had his break out year.

He's not jumping routes. He's not attacking the pattern. Instead, he'll let the receiver catch the ball and then try to slow the guy down so he doesn't give up a big play.

It happens constantly. That's why we have the patented Rhodes slamming the turf or fist pumping in frustration play. If Rhodes was aggressive in coverage help, the Jets would get more pass breakups and INTs.

Each of the 4th quarter meltdowns happened where Rhodes was in possition to make a game changing play but played the pattern safely and gave up the key reception.

The bottom line is that if Rhodes became a better tackler he still won't be elite. If he becomes an aggressive pass defender he will be regardless of the tackling.

Another A+ post SMC. You said it better than I did!

I loathe the Rhodes tackling red herring.

Tackling isn't the important problem with Rhodes. It's just the one that fans like to highlight out of frustration. In the grand scheme of things the tackling issue is not the one keeping Rhodes from being elite.

His lack of aggression in coverage is what's keeping him from being elite. Rhodes takes the safe play all the time since he had his break out year.

He's not jumping routes. He's not attacking the pattern. Instead, he'll let the receiver catch the ball and then try to slow the guy down so he doesn't give up a big play.

It happens constantly. That's why we have the patented Rhodes slamming the turf or fist pumping in frustration play. If Rhodes was aggressive in coverage help, the Jets would get more pass breakups and INTs.

Each of the 4th quarter meltdowns happened where Rhodes was in possition to make a game changing play but played the pattern safely and gave up the key reception.

The bottom line is that if Rhodes became a better tackler he still won't be elite. If he becomes an aggressive pass defender he will be regardless of the tackling.

Excellent oberservation. In the military, we used a term when someone or a unit was acting "Rhodes like"...we would say why don't the mother ****ers engage? And that's exactly it, Rhodes does not engage...he doesn't like to get down and dirty.

one thing I've learned in my dozen years on Jets message boards is this: I don't know how to run an NFL franchise. IDK if Dwight Lowery is capable or not of being a safety in this league but I DO know that Kerry Rhodes is the weakest link back there now and it needs to be addressed.

From what I heard and what I read a few weeks ago Rex called Rhodes when he was going to go on SNY with his latest "big announcement" and told him that the Jets and he want him back this year.

:rl:

great post..

In all seriousness Cromartie is a nice signing....Revis island just become that much tougher. Were in desperte need of an ILB so hopefully we can ink Dansby today on his visit.

but this...

Redskins | Dansby looking at team

Thu, 04 Mar 2010 22:32:10 -0800

Rick Maese and Jason Reid, of The Washington Post, reports free-agent LB Karlos Dansby (Cardinals) said he would have interest in playing for the Washington Redskins. Dansby said, "But Washington is definitely a place I'm looking at. My gate is wide open right now. I'm going to take every visit. I'm going in to every team to see what type of the piece of the puzzle will I be."

and Rolle is visiting the Giants today...

Another A+ post SMC. You said it better than I did!

Excellent oberservation. In the military, we used a term when someone or a unit was acting "Rhodes like"...we would say why don't the mother ****ers engage? And that's exactly it, Rhodes does not engage...he doesn't like to get down and dirty.

Thanks. It first hit me over the head in the 3rd quarter of the Miami MNF game.

I had disregarded Rhodes pass problems to scheme issues. It was actually a 3rd quarter play that keyed my interest.

Jets up 13-10 early in the 3rd. It was 1st and 10 at the Miami 20. Henne throws a 17 yd pass to little used TE Joey Haynos. Rhodes is RIGHT THERE to break up the pass. Heck, if he was daring he could easily intercept it and set up the Jets in Miami territory. Instead, Rhodes lets the completion happen in front of him.

From then on I started to pay attention to Rhodes's passive coverage tendencies through the rest of the game and for the remainder of the season.

Stop having Rhodes being passive in coverage will do the Jets a world of good, much more than any tackling issue.

but this...

Redskins | Dansby looking at team

Thu, 04 Mar 2010 22:32:10 -0800

Rick Maese and Jason Reid, of The Washington Post, reports free-agent LB Karlos Dansby (Cardinals) said he would have interest in playing for the Washington Redskins. Dansby said, "But Washington is definitely a place I'm looking at. My gate is wide open right now. I'm going to take every visit. I'm going in to every team to see what type of the piece of the puzzle will I be."

and Rolle is visiting the Giants today...

Getting the first visit is crucial...Alot of guys go on there first visit and it's a done deal. If Dansby leaves the facilities today without signing, were out of the running guaranteed.

YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?! homeboy wants to get paid!!!!

Yeah, we can all joke and dis the Fins, but FAs would be flocking to the pathetic Rams if they were paying out the most money.

NFL players' top priority is getting big money. Winning is second.

I hope Rex has a withering practice schedule or an ankle bracelet on this guy to help prevent him from expanding on his 7 kids/6 mothers from 5 different states record. Look out Tri-State area.......fathers, hide your daughters. The Shawn Kemp of football is on his way. On the bright side, I guess he needs the money so he should put in the effort.

I like the signing allot. I don't mind a cover corner being a little soft in taking on running backs if he can actually cover man to man. Rhodes, if he is on the team probably losses time to Smith against teams that can run the ball. Smith hits like a truck and improved greatly in coverage last year. I also think Lowery is very under rated and will be an excellent nickel back or rotational player. I'm comfortable with Smith and Leonard with two good corners behind them and Lowery.

The first Miami game Revis was asked to make a ton of tackles on the running backs coming around the edge and I firmly believe that's one of the reasons Ginn burned him although Rhodes failed on the same play. The fact is we don't want our cover corners to have to make a ton of tackles on running backs that's the reason you want corners who can cover one on one it allows other players to make tackles and rush the passer.

I hope Rex has a withering practice schedule or an ankle bracelet on this guy to help prevent him from expanding on his 7 kids/6 mothers from 5 different states record. Look out Tri-State area.......fathers, hide your daughters. The Shawn Kemp of football is on his way. On the bright side, I guess he needs the money so he should put in the effort.

I heard Rex has him scheduled for a vasectomy.

I like the signing allot. I don't mind a cover corner being a little soft in taking on running backs if he can actually cover man to man. Rhodes, if he is on the team probably losses time to Smith against teams that can run the ball. Smith hits like a truck and improved greatly in coverage last year. I also think Lowery is very under rated and will be an excellent nickel back or rotational player. I'm comfortable with Smith and Leonard with two good corners behind them and Lowery.

The first Miami game Revis was asked to make a ton of tackles on the running backs coming around the edge and I firmly believe that's one of the reasons Ginn burned him although Rhodes failed on the same play. The fact is we don't want our cover corners to have to make a ton of tackles on running backs that's the reason you want corners who can cover one on one it allows other players to make tackles and rush the passer.

That, and the double move combined with Ginn's 4.3 speed are what caused Revis to be burned.

Thanks. It first hit me over the head in the 3rd quarter of the Miami MNF game.

I had disregarded Rhodes pass problems to scheme issues. It was actually a 3rd quarter play that keyed my interest.

Jets up 13-10 early in the 3rd. It was 1st and 10 at the Miami 20. Henne throws a 17 yd pass to little used TE Joey Haynos. Rhodes is RIGHT THERE to break up the pass. Heck, if he was daring he could easily intercept it and set up the Jets in Miami territory. Instead, Rhodes lets the completion happen in front of him.

From then on I started to pay attention to Rhodes's passive coverage tendencies through the rest of the game and for the remainder of the season.

Stop having Rhodes being passive in coverage will do the Jets a world of good, much more than any tackling issue.

Which underscores the Passes Defended stat that Rhodes supposedly had 13 of this year. Theres no way - most of them must have been drops that tampon boy never touched. He's seldom close enough to a completed pass to defend it and thats by his design. He's most focused on doing fist pumps from his uncovered blitz's and if the band plays because of his blown coverage ... well people wouldn't love him as much as they do now.

I await the day when there's an intimidation factor to associated with our FS position - right now it would be nice to just have a few plays made.

I don't think the weight of upgrading here is as heavy as some do. If we're stuck with this fraud for another season - it should be a lot easier to see him as the weakest link on the D.

All this stuff about how we're gambling on 2007 upside is ridiculous. Cromartie was better than Sheppard last year.

This.

If we get 2007, even better. Either way he's a better player than anyone else in the roster. And now, for this year we can look at drafting with what few draft picks we have left, depth or talent at other needed positions.

This.

If we get 2007, even better. Either way he's a better player than anyone else in the roster. And now, for this year we can look at drafting with what few draft picks we have left, depth or talent at other needed positions.

Yep.

The 2009 Cromartie >>> 2009 Lito. Cro doesn't even need to be as good as 2007 for the Jets to be better on D.

Archived