Jets Trade with Chargers for CB Cromartie: MERGED

Aten

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ehhhhhhh, (that's my old man squeaky "Ehhhhhhh"), I give corners a lot more slack than I do safeties, if only because finding a really good man-coverage corner is so hard to do. If they can tackle at all, it's a plus. But a safety has no excuse. Plus, they're involved in so many more plays in the middle of the field that having a safety that won't hit is like having a middle linebacker that won't hit. In sum, Rhodes isn't worth keeping here if he's not going to intimidate, whereas I could care less if Cromarties ever sticks his head into a pulling guard trying to make a play as long as he can keep his receiver from lighting him up.

I'm definitely playing Devil's Advocate in this thread. IMHO, there's not enough negativity regarding Cromartie. Usually I can count on you, so I'm a little disappointed there. This post is no help.

Cro had a big 2007, and has been pretty meh since. He says it's about playing too much zone, so he won't have too many excuses here.

But I think Jet fans will complain about this guy not getting his jersey dirty. Revis on the other side of the field not only being the best shut-down CB in the NFL, but a very willing participant in run support, too, won't help his cause. That's when I'll defend him.

I think this Gholston guy can still be somebody.

I'm definitely playing Devil's Advocate in this thread. IMHO, there's not enough negativity regarding Cromartie. Usually I can count on you, so I'm a little disappointed there. This post is no help.

Cro had a big 2007, and has been pretty meh since. He says it's about playing too much zone, so he won't have too many excuses here.

But I think Jet fans will complain about this guy not getting his jersey dirty. Revis on the other side of the field not only being the best shut-down CB in the NFL, but a very willing participant in run support, too, won't help his cause. That's when I'll defend him.

:rl:

LOL! I used veiled negativity in bringing up my suspicion about the low-low price that AJ Smith gave us. I have to admit to liking this deal in much the same way I liked the Justin McCareins deal: "Well, good. There was no way you were going to get a player of this caliber who is ready to play from Day One in the second round of the draft!" Jeeeeesus that was so far off. Still, The worst thing that comes of this trade is that Cromartie whines and impregnates his way out of NY and the Jets lose a draft pick they would have used to trade up anyway. Go Jets!

(cough, if you want to get really nasty, ask how Tannebaum is going to pay all of these guys' extensions when the salary cap is slapped back on in 2011--Mangold, Revis, Harris, Brick, and now Cromartie....) :D:cheers:

I didn't see a push anywhere...and even if he did, he can push as much as he wants if he is scoring touchdowns.

Go to the 1:43 mark just as he is about to cross the GL #32 goes to hug or whatever Cro gives him a stiff arm like get off me this is my moment bitch, and #32 ran away like oh yea I forgot this guy is a duche.

Still, The worst thing that comes of this trade is that Cromartie whines and impregnates his way out of NY and the Jets lose a draft pick they would have used to trade up anyway.

Agreed.

And really, if he does both, he'll have a show on TLC waiting for him.

Still, The worst thing that comes of this trade is that Cromartie whines and impregnates his way out of NY and the Jets lose a draft pick they would have used to trade up anyway. Go Jets!

Haha! That's about right. Worst case scenario, he's another Lito, but he should be able to stay on the field a little better (if he's not benched). :P

And yeah, Tanny trading that pick now just saves him the trouble later. I'm very happy that he's gone 1 1/4 hours into FA without trading a 2010 pick.

:rl:

Yeah, I'm bored. Who's next?

I mean in general, not the Jets. Our team has done all they needed to today.

But there hasn't been a signing in the league yet. Only scrubs like Vrabel and Redman signing with the team they were with last year. So they don't count to me...

It sounds like Dunta Robinson to ATL will be the first big signing.

Go to the 1:43 mark just as he is about to cross the GL #32 goes to hug or whatever Cro gives him a stiff arm like get off me this is my moment bitch, and #32 ran away like oh yea I forgot this guy is a duche.

Who cares. Really.

Haha! That's about right. Worst case scenario, he's another Lito, but he should be able to stay on the field a little better (if he's not benched). :P

And yeah, Tanny trading that pick now just saves him the trouble later. I'm very happy that he's gone 1 1/4 hours into FA without trading a 2010 pick.

I will tell you now, if Michael Tannenbaum trades down this year for more picks and brings in 5 or 6 athletic young players who can contribute for years to come, I will never call him by his derisive nickname, "The Accountant Mike Tannenbaum, CPA" again. That is my word.

"Crevis" sounds like a hermaphrodite's genitalia. Maybe it should be Rhodes' nickname.

I want Rhodes to stay now, just so we can use this as the nickname for our secondary:

Cromartie - Rhodes - Leonard - Revis

Crodesnardevis

Rhodes will be traded and I believe that Dwight Lowery will be put to safety and the Jets will draft or sign another CB...probably with the pick that they trade Rhodes for. I said it before and I'll say it again, Dwight Lowery is nice and has great hands. If you can keep the play in front of him he can make an impact. And with Cromart on the team we're not as exposed so this may be an opportunity for Lowery.

I'm not passing up an opportunity like this, but if that half-hearted effort to tackle Shonn Greene wasn't related to his displeasure of being in San Diego, I'd be concerned about this guy.

It had nothing to do with him being displeased. He's been allowed not to be physical in a physical sport. Thats not his fault thats the coaches fault. Rex Ryan is not going to accept ANYTHING thats not physical, even if he does put up 10 TD's in a season and go to the probowl. Why you ask? Its because you'll allow a rookie running back to end your dream season simply because you didnt do your job. Ryan understands that, Turner doesnt. I think this is an excellent move and it will pay off for us.

Tanny is proving to be worth every penny he's being paid.

I'm still amazed he got it done for a pick in next years draft. That's huge since we've got restrictions on us this season. Keeping our 2nd or 3rd this year could really pay off.

That surprised me as well. I dont know how Tanny does it but its certainly a good look because we need all of our picks this year.

8MHKbMOh2YE

Ugh....

Cromartie is not the type of player the Jets should be pursuing. He got scorched numerous times over the past two season, and he can't tackle a lick as we all saw in the playoffs.

Lets not forget that this guy has 7 kids with 5 different woman. He's sure sounds like a quality person:confused:

Why are the Jets always willing to give up draft picks for underachievers???? There is a reason why players Cromartie and Edwards get jettisoned.

The Lito Sheppard trade did nothing for the Jets. Why will this one be different?

Because Cromartie is fast? Lito is faster. Because Lito was dumb? Cromartie is dumber.

One is 29 and often banged up... the other is 25 and missed 1 game in 4 years. The 29 year old who is has lost a step and is often banged up ran a slower 40 time before he was drafted than Cromartie runs now. Sheppard out of college was a little slower than Cro and Sheppard has lost a step.

So no, Shep isn't faster. It isn't even close.

I like the deal

2011 right now is seriously in doubt so the Jets are going for the ring right now.

If he sucks the Jets lose a thrid round pick. If he plays to previous form he will get a new deal (be it from the Jets or somebody else) and the Jets will have the best pair of corners in the NFL to go along with a defense that loves to put pressure on the QB.

You gotta hand it to Tanny. Restrict him in Free Agency and he goes out and pulls of a deal like this.

Tannenbaum just continues to pull tricks out of his bag. How he can go and trade a draft pick next year, in a year thats in doubt of being played, for a #1 CB to be our #2 CB, is beyond me.

I love this man.

I'd call this a solid trade even though I don't like Cromartie. I'll give it a B with the potential to become either a C or a B+ Giving up a 3rd next year is not that big a deal when considering the upside. If it turns into a 2nd it means he most likely did well for us. The chances of us getting a CB on his level in the 3rd or 2nd this year was no given so I really can't kill him. Although I don't like the fact that his contract is coming up making this feel similar to the Lito trade only with a better player this time.

Also, after reading some charger fans opinions, apparantly he fits our scheme a little better in that he has trouble in zone coverages but does well in man or press. That makes me feel a little better.

I also like that it eleminates a need for us in the draft so now we can focus more on a pass rusher and help in the trenches.

Wow. Can't complain about the value. Even if Cromartie is as much a DBag as the rumors insist, next year's 2 or 3 is pretty cheap for a player who has been great and is still young.

+1

I wasn't crazy about this move but getting this guy for a conditional 2011 3rd? Tanny just made A.J. Smith look like a fool.

I have to say I'd feel better about this if I had never seen that little cut up mocking him for how he "played" in the playoff game vs the JETS

but we need DB's desperately, so that's good I guess

Archived