Jets Trade with Chargers for CB Cromartie: MERGED

Aten

Ok, Bastard Maker was funny. But that doesn't absolve you from being an obnoxious douchenozzle.

Fair enough ;)

Enjoy this ...

The Phins and Pats are going nuts,

The New York Jets will kick their butts,

Singing won't you be...won't you be...won't you be my beatch?

The Phins are supposed to be scared of a team that they beat twice last year? Ok lol

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

take a look over there. at first they thought it was a 2nd rounder this year...

It's actually poetic and fitting that he goes to the team that owned him that day. Good riddance indeed.

And I wouldn't be surprised if ScareCrow actually get a chance to shine on that team because of Ryan's pressure packages.

I agree good for all the parties involved 2nd for him will be an early christmas gift.

I would run around screaming to get a second for Cro.

then when they found out it was a 3rd rounder for next year...

2011 pick? That sucks!!!

A little dissapointed to get a 2011 pick, not one this year.

indeed. this sucks.

A 2nd round pick in a Draft that might not happen.

Wow. The Jets ownage of the Chargers is complete.

lmao. the last quote is hilarious.

Rhodes will be traded and I believe that Dwight Lowery will be put to safety and the Jets will draft or sign another CB...probably with the pick that they trade Rhodes for. I said it before and I'll say it again, Dwight Lowery is nice and has great hands. If you can keep the play in front of him he can make an impact. And with Cromart on the team we're not as exposed so this may be an opportunity for Lowery.

Lowey is 5'11" 198 and Rhodes is 6'3" 214...does that matter so much for a free safety?

Lowey is 5'11" 198 and Rhodes is 6'3" 214...does that matter so much for a free safety?

Bigger is better if bigger doesn't mean slower, Jim. These guys have to stop backs at and behind the LOS and provide coverage on TE's We got a real taste of Rhodes' blinding speed last season. Couple that with his vagina, and I'm all for Lowery.

Bigger is better if bigger doesn't mean slower, Jim. These guys have to stop backs at and behind the LOS and provide coverage on TE's We got a real taste of Rhodes' blinding speed last season. Couple that with his vagina, and I'm all for Lowery.

Lowery isn't a safety. There's more to the position than just being too slow to play cornerback.

Lowery isn't a safety. There's more to the position than just being too slow to play cornerback.

Well said. This conversation should be done. Jets have two solid starters and a good back up in Smith. If they were to trade Rhodes than I would worry about it. Until then, no sense in trying to fill a posiiton that doesn't need to be filled.

Lowery replacing Rhodes is NOT an upgrade.

Ed Reed is 5'11" at 200 so its been done before. All you asked was height and weight so thats my only comparison. Lowery definately has the size to play safety.

thanks and welcome to the site...if it's your first time here that is

has there BEEN any talk about this from the team? I like Dwight Lowery and was heading up his fan club when we first got him...

As for Cromartie-there's a lot to be said for a defensive back who can actually catch a football-Ty Law could do it and a guy who had a season where he picked off 10 balls obviously can too...I hope we deal Rhodes, he just seems like the weak spot back there

And those qualities are?

Most importantly, being able to play in space. It's a completely different position and point of view. What makes you think Lowery can play Safety? He had a hard enough time playing nickle when he wasn't starting this year.

Lowery is just not that good. He's a JAG. Have to hope Stickland can come back and stay healthy as a 3rd CB. If Lowery is the 3rd(nickle) I'm a little worried.

In this defense? Playing center, run support, covering tight ends, and blitzing. Lowery isn't especially good at doing any of those things and he's undersized.

Lowery is a good tackler and he can cover AND catch the football-I'd like to see him given a shot at it

The Jets were a better team once Edwards was added. Underachiever or not.

On paper, the Jets are a better team today than they were yesterday with the addition of Cromartie.

This is an excellent move for the reasons you, aec, and others have stated.

I can't understand the basis for RevisIsland's argument that this isn't the type of CB the Jets should be pursuing.

Hello? This is exactly the type of CB the Jets need. Cro is a "COVER CORNER". The last 2 seasons he was put into a ZONE SCHEME. That is well documented. Heck, check out what the JETS told Bucky Brooks last weekend:

Talking with a few of the Jets’ coaches about Cromartie last weekend at the combine, they marveled at his extraordinary talent, but wondered why the Chargers rarely allowed the former Pro Bowler to play bump-and-run at the line of scrimmage.

In their estimation, the Chargers’ scheme didn’t suit the strengths of Cromartie’s game, as they repeatedly had him positioned seven yards off the ball, forcing him to play from “off” coverage. Though Cromartie picked off 15 passes in four seasons in that scheme, his athleticism and ball skills gives him a chance to blossom into a superstar in Rex Ryan’s system.

Link

Rex is doing the belly roll with excitement right now.

Lowery is a good tackler and he can cover AND catch the football-I'd like to see him given a shot at it

I always thought Justin Miller and David Barrett deserved a shot at Safety too. Just b/c you're not good enough to play CB doesn't mean you can play Safety. I wouldn't consider Lowery a better tackler than Rhodes either.

BTW,

Rhodes is NOT a bad tackler. He IS soft and doesn't EVER go for the knock out punch. But he's consistent and USUALLY breaks down with good form and makes the plays...It just isn't that HUGE hit you want out of a Safety. I've NEVER seen Lowery make that HUGE hit either.

I can't understand the basis for RevisIsland's argument that this isn't the type of CB the Jets should be pursuing.

Hello? This is exactly the type of CB the Jets need. Cro is a "COVER CORNER". The last 2 seasons he was put into a ZONE SCHEME. That is well documented. Heck, check out what the JETS told Bucky Brooks last weekend:

Link

Rex is doing the belly role with excitement right now.

I salute you SMC. POST OF THE WEEK.

He's a good tackler for a cornerback. All that really entails is keeping contain and wrapping up. It isn't the same thing at all. To save you the time, it doesn't especially matter that he played safety in junior college either. This is simple. Just watch. Does Dwight Lowery look like a safety? Does he play like a safety? We have a role for Lowery and it happens to be the one he's best suited to perform in the NFL. The fourth corner backs up on the outside and at nickel and dime, and those are all very active positions so he's going to get plenty of snaps just subbing in let alone if anybody gets hurt.

It's funny, sub in the phrase 'trying to do' in place of 'especially good at doing,' and this post could be about Rhodes.

He tries on the plays when he gets to just go after the quarterback.

Holy ****.

I've got it.

Vernon Gholston: starting free safety.

It's funny, sub in the phrase 'trying to do' in place of 'especially good at doing,' and this post could be about Rhodes.

Funny because Rhodes is BEST when playing in the box, containing the flat or edge or rushing the passer or on a run blitz. The closer he is to the LOS the better he plays. He gets lost sometimes when he's playing a deep half. IMO he just gave up way too much space this year worrying about giving up the BIG play...which he didn't do (besides Ginn). But instead he gave up too many 8-15 yard plays in front of him.

He also seemed to loose his wits and was caught out of position a lot. Bigger issues for me than how hard he hits.

Its an upgrade, I'm content with it. I just don't understand the excitement surrounding it. On Twitter anyways...

Posted by SMC

Quote:

Talking with a few of the Jets’ coaches about Cromartie last weekend at the combine, they marveled at his extraordinary talent, but wondered why the Chargers rarely allowed the former Pro Bowler to play bump-and-run at the line of scrimmage.

In their estimation, the Chargers’ scheme didn’t suit the strengths of Cromartie’s game, as they repeatedly had him positioned seven yards off the ball, forcing him to play from “off” coverage. Though Cromartie picked off 15 passes in four seasons in that scheme, his athleticism and ball skills gives him a chance to blossom into a superstar in Rex Ryan’s system.

Link

Rex is doing the belly roll with excitement right now.

one thing I've learned in my dozen years on Jets message boards is this: I don't know how to run an NFL franchise. IDK if Dwight Lowery is capable or not of being a safety in this league but I DO know that Kerry Rhodes is the weakest link back there now and it needs to be addressed.

From what I heard and what I read a few weeks ago Rex called Rhodes when he was going to go on SNY with his latest "big announcement" and told him that the Jets and he want him back this year.

I loathe the Rhodes tackling red herring.

Tackling isn't the important problem with Rhodes. It's just the one that fans like to highlight out of frustration. In the grand scheme of things the tackling issue is not the one keeping Rhodes from being elite.

His lack of aggression in coverage is what's keeping him from being elite. Rhodes takes the safe play all the time since he had his break out year.

He's not jumping routes. He's not attacking the pattern. Instead, he'll let the receiver catch the ball and then try to slow the guy down so he doesn't give up a big play.

It happens constantly. That's why we have the patented Rhodes slamming the turf or fist pumping in frustration play. If Rhodes was aggressive in coverage help, the Jets would get more pass breakups and INTs.

Each of the 4th quarter meltdowns happened where Rhodes was in possition to make a game changing play but played the pattern safely and gave up the key reception.

The bottom line is that if Rhodes became a better tackler he still won't be elite. If he becomes an aggressive pass defender he will be regardless of the tackling.

Dude relax, it was a shameless cheap shot. Obviously I think the guy tries...

...at being gay.

No worries, you misinterpreted my post. Wasn't fighting, just talking. I'm having a hard time myself finding good things to say about Rhodes too as I bashed him for almost the entire year.

Meh, just trying to stay objective as I ran out of gay jokes myself.

:cheers:

Archived