Jets showing some interest in Colts S Antoine Bethea

SoFlaJets

I think there is already a thread on this but I really like Bethea, but not for a 1st round pick.

I may be totally wrong and would love some clarification, but can't the jets go to the colts and negotiate something other than the tender compensation? Doesn't this sometimes happen?

I may be totally wrong and would love some clarification, but can't the jets go to the colts and negotiate something other than the tender compensation? Doesn't this sometimes happen?

I don't know either Joe. You would think they would be able to negotiate. If someone smarter could please pipe in here....

I believe the team could retract the tender and negotiate a trade on different terms. Obviously, don't quote me.

I love Bethea. Very physical, plays angry and is a real football player. What about Rhodes for Bethea? It makes sense for both teams: The Colts have a big hitter in Bob Sanders coming back to complement Rhodes' non-contact game and they also are always playing with a lead, so Rhodes can do what he does best--range around and try to pick off balls downfield.

Yeah we can. The first round tender doesn't stop the Colts from trading the player for whatever compensation they want. If we go after him I doubt it's for a first rounder.

I believe the team could retract the tender and negotiate a trade on different terms. Obviously, don't quote me.

I love Bethea. Very physical, plays angry and is a real football player. What about Rhodes for Bethea? It makes sense for both teams: The Colts have a big hitter in Bob Sanders coming back to complement Rhodes' non-contact game and they also are always playing with a lead, so Rhodes can do what he does best--range around and try to pick off balls downfield.

Rhodes would fit in perfectly in Indianapolis' bend-don't-break defense. I'd love a swap.

I think this is right.

I read somewhere the other day that the reason so many players got tender was not for the expectation that teams would get the picks in return if they signed elsewhere as RFA's but to basically set the bar for negotiation in what promised to be a post-season FULL of trades... and not nearly as much spending as many anticipated.

So the Jets sniff around, offer the Colts a lower pick and a player? Or something to that effect.

Bethea would be a great acquisition.

I think this is right.

I read somewhere the other day that the reason so many players got tender was not for the expectation that teams would get the picks in return if they signed elsewhere as RFA's but to basically set the bar for negotiation in what promised to be a post-season FULL of trades... and not nearly as much spending as many anticipated.

So the Jets sniff around, offer the Colts a lower pick and a player? Or something to that effect.

Bethea would be a great acquisition.

and wouldn't this spell the end of Kerry Rhodes?

I don't get it, there's no way we give up a first for him so why... what is this about then?

This is about ... bull sh-t.

The rumor is garbage. It makes no sense from the Jets perspective. None.

But since the Jets are very active in FA/trades historically, their name is always thrown out there in these sort of things.

Going after Bethea makes ZERO sense for the Jets based on the monetary and draft compensation involved.

But since the Jets are very active in FA/trades historically, their name is always thrown out there in these sort of things.

Going after Bethea makes ZERO sense for the Jets based on the monetary and draft compensation involved.

It actually makes perfect sense. We work out a trade with the Colts that won't involve a 1st rounder and get a safety who will make our secondary by far the best in the league. The Colts defense has always started sucking majorly when Sanders got hurt but Bethea actually held them together even then. He is a legit safety and young as hell for the position. There is absolutely no reason why Jet fans shouldn't be ecstatic at the prospect of getting him. Signing him also makes the ***** rhodes completely expendable.

The hangup is that Bob Sanders is always "coming back." Why would they trade a valuable kid like this when Sanders' attendance record is so uncertain?

Yes.

John Abraham slapped with franchise tag (two firsts) and we took one first instead.

Justin McC*****s was tagged by Tennessee for a first rounder but we traded a 2nd for him.

Countless other examples around the league.

Rhodes would fit in perfectly in Indianapolis' bend-don't-break defense. I'd love a swap.

Unfortunately, they've probably watched all the film on him and realize that bend not break is different from run away and giggle. I'd think I died and went to heaven if Tanny could pull this off - I just don't see us getting that lucky.

yea you are an expert

Bethea is a great player

Geezus if you guys lose Rhodes and get Bethea EVERY other freakin' team in the AFC will be praying your offense falls apart so we'll have a shot at beating ya's 6-3.

;)

Geezus if you guys lose Rhodes and get Bethea EVERY other freakin' team in the AFC will be praying your offense falls apart so we'll have a shot at beating ya's 6-3.

;)

Tell 'em, Paul. A Steelers fan know the importance of a hard-hitting safety on a big-time defense!

MOST of us already knew that TS....

I hear ya, Jimmy. But you know Jets fans--they looooove their home-grown guys, warts and all. You have to love the loyalty, even when it's a wee bit misguided! I used to rage when Kyle Clifton would be snubbed for the Pro Bowl!

I hear ya, Jimmy. But you know Jets fans--they looooove their home-grown guys, warts and all. You have to love the loyalty, even when it's a wee bit misguided! I used to rage when Kyle Clifton would be snubbed for the Pro Bowl!

I think we're starting to get away from that mindset TS...most of us (here anyway) are super critical and call out the under-achievers on the team as soon as it shows. But yea, it was like that for years on the boards.

Tell 'em, Paul. A Steelers fan know the importance of a hard-hitting safety on a big-time defense!

Gotta admit i'm impressed at how the Jets are being so aggressive in identifying weaknesss and upgrading your team.

Let's see what else they got up their sleeves.

Archived