KERRY RHODES TRADED!!!!

SoFlaJets

Rex built a ferocious smash mouth defense in 1 year. Rhodes didnt fit the program it was obvious when he got benched. The Kerry Rhodes I knew a few years ago faded. Instead of making the big hits he shyed away from them. He was exposed on numerous occasions this season. Rex knew it we all knew it. Its time to move on.

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree, but the thing is we only got a 4th round back from him. What the hell are we going to find with that?

Jets 4th round picks since Tanny took over as GM:

2005: Kerry Rhodes (just turned around and got a return on our investment 5 years later, not too shabby!)

2006: Leon Washington, Brad Smith (AWESOME value)

2007: NONE (traded up to get David Harris; can't complain there)

2008: Dwight Lowery (weakest of the brood, but not a terrible nickle/dime corner)

2009: NONE (traded up to get Shonn Greene; again, can't complain)

Look, haters of this trade. We may think Rhodes had late-2nd or 3rd round value, but in reality, few want a 27-year old safety and locker-room cancer for more than what we got. If the Cards watched ANY tape on him, they know Rhodes only works for them because they couldn't cover ANYONE last season and Rhodes can at least provide that.

The Jets probably ASKED for a 3rd, got denied, and settled for the 4th and future 7th. In so doing, we ensured the following:

1) A safety that Rex didn't like, both because he didn't fit the system AND was a general douchebag, is gone.

2) That we wouldn't have TWO soft douchebags in the same secondary (Cromartie).

3) We got a pick in THIS draft, which we sorely needed, and strategically didn't lose any picks in this year's draft to get Cromartie. With our hands tied in free agency, the draft is the best way for us to acquire talent, both by making picks AND by signing RFA's to offer sheets.

So there you have it. We win.

Jets 4th round picks since Tanny took over as GM:

2005: Kerry Rhodes (just turned around and got a return on our investment 5 years later, not too shabby!)

2006: Leon Washington, Brad Smith (AWESOME value)

2007: NONE (traded up to get David Harris; can't complain there)

2008: Dwight Lowery (weakest of the brood, but not a terrible nickle/dime corner)

2009: NONE (traded up to get Shonn Greene; again, can't complain)

Look, haters of this trade. We may think Rhodes had late-2nd or 3rd round value, but in reality, few want a 27-year old safety and locker-room cancer for more than what we got. If the Cards watched ANY tape on him, they know Rhodes only works for them because they couldn't cover ANYONE last season and Rhodes can at least provide that.

The Jets probably ASKED for a 3rd, got denied, and settled for the 4th and future 7th. In so doing, we ensured the following:

1) A safety that Rex didn't like, both because he didn't fit the system AND was a general douchebag, is gone.

2) That we wouldn't have TWO soft douchebags in the same secondary (Cromartie).

3) We got a pick in THIS draft, which we sorely needed, and strategically didn't lose any picks in this year's draft to get Cromartie. With our hands tied in free agency, the draft is the best way for us to acquire talent, both by making picks AND by signing RFA's to offer sheets.

So there you have it. We win.

Rhodes was a Bradway pick. He coincidentally landed Cotch in the 4th as well.

So I've given this trade a second thought and I think it's basically Pete Kendall 2.0. The difference being that this team we have the talent to survive a hit at friggin...S.

It's not even that huge of a position now with our CB talent. I think Rhodes coulda/woulda/shoulda done well with two good CBs, an older Lowery, and Leonhard all allowing him to roam free more often, but shyte happens. It's his fault it happened anyway.

It's not even that huge of a position now with our CB talent. I think Rhodes coulda/woulda/shoulda done well with two good CBs, an older Lowery, and Leonhard all allowing him to roam free more often, but shyte happens. It's his fault it happened anyway.

"Roaming free" only works when you can occasionally lay the wood or instinctively make a play on the ball when it isn't gift-wrapped to you, which can only come after hours and hours of learning a QB's tendencies. As much as we had hoped that Kerry could become the next Ed Reed in Rex's system, he has none of the traits needed to do it both physical, and more importantly, mental. He's too immature to take on this role.

"Roaming free" in Kerry's world means "running around looking lost and not having to tackle a RB", which would have been just fine for him but awful for us.

So I've given this trade a second thought and I think it's basically Pete Kendall 2.0. The difference being that this team we have the talent to survive a hit at friggin...S.

It's exactly like the Pete Kendall situation. Only thing different was Pete Kendall was a valued contributor. But other than that it's exacting.

^^ Yea, I've been told. Not if he got his head out of his ass, which I guess they feel they gave him enough chances to do so without it happening.

There are certain aspects of toughness that just can't be taught, and Kerry Rhodes did NOT have it. Clearly, we felt that we could not give Kerry another year to "get his head out of his ass", and I must say I agree. Once a softy, always a softy, that's what Kerry will forever be, and it was doing harm to our otherwise solid defense.

Boldin for rhodes would've been sweet.. I don't understand jetbabe tweet "value for boldin was a fourth, but they wouldn't do so they gave up a 4th and a seventh"

and i've been busy at work, but I love the Crom trade. Guy will do well as a cover corner with a heavy blitz.. I'm hoping the shame from the playoff loss will be enough for him to atleastr Carrie Rhodes people

You watch any of the game film this year?

It's exactly like the Pete Kendall situation. Only thing different was Pete Kendall was a valued contributor. But other than that it's exacting.

No it isn't. Not by a long shot.

1 - Kendall was generally good. A better guard than Rhodes is a safety anyway.

2 - Kendall was also an insurance policy for Mangold since he could play center also. Rhodes doesn't even play special teams, let alone have the ability to slide over to corner if needed.

2 - Kendall was never benched for poor play on the Jets. Rhodes was, even while we were in a late-season playoff hunt.

3 - Kendall was liked by his teammates. Rhodes was not. I'm sure we'll find out more in the coming weeks just how much.

4 - Kendall was liked by his position coach and head coach (until the awful freshman dorm incident to teach a 10+ year vet a "lesson"). Rhodes was such an arrogant cancer he wouldn't even speak to his position coach during the season, if not during a game, at least at one time.

5 - Kendall's main activities off the field were being a husband, parent, and the team's union rep. Rhodes' extracurricular activities were tweeting and trying to become a model or actor. In short, Kendall's off-field activities were chiefly doing for others. Rhodes did for himself. It matters in terms of respect in the locker room.

6 - Kendall was under contract for cheap dollars. His whole year's salary was under $2M. Rhodes was grossly overpaid and had a roster bonus alone of $2M coming up in less than a week.

7 - Kendall fit the Jets offense (or whatever that was in 2007). Rhodes did not fit the Jets defense.

8 - Kendall was traded on August 23rd:

after

the draft

after
free agency was over

after
minicamp and rookie minicamp

after
90% of training camp, which showed first-hand what we had (and what we didn't).

all of
2 weeks
before the first game of the season.

The only similarity is that we didn't acquire a pro-bowl level talent (or draftee) prior to cutting him. Well free agency isn't a week old yet, and the draft isn't for another month and a half. Our first game is 6 months away. Basically there's no shortage of time left.

This is totally different from the Kendall situation.

2 - Kendall was also an insurance policy for Mangold since he could play center also. Rhodes doesn't even play special teams, let alone have the ability to slide over to corner if needed.

2 - Kendall was never benched for poor play on the Jets. Rhodes was, even while we were in a late-season playoff hunt.

3 - Kendall was liked by his teammates. Rhodes was not. I'm sure we'll find out more in the coming weeks just how much.

4 - Kendall was liked by his position coach and head coach (until the awful freshman dorm incident to teach a 10+ year vet a "lesson"). Rhodes was such an arrogant cancer he wouldn't even speak to his position coach during the season, if not during a game, at least at one time.

5 - Kendall's main activities off the field were being a husband, parent, and the team's union rep. Rhodes' extracurricular activities were tweeting and trying to become a model or actor. In short, Kendall's off-field activities were chiefly doing for others. Rhodes did for himself. It matters in terms of respect in the locker room.

6 - Kendall was under contract for cheap dollars. His whole year's salary was under $2M. Rhodes was grossly overpaid and had a roster bonus alone of $2M coming up in less than a week.

7 - Kendall fit the Jets offense (or whatever that was in 2007). Rhodes did not fit the Jets defense.

after

the draft

after
free agency was over

after

after

all of
2 weeks

The only similarity is that we didn't acquire a pro-bowl level talent (or draftee) prior to cutting him. Well free agency isn't a week old yet, and the draft isn't for another month and a half. Our first game is 6 months away. Basically there's no shortage of time left.

I know.

after

the draft

after
free agency was over

after

after

all of
2 weeks

Repped.

I don't know how any Jet fan (even the most pessimistic within us) can compare this to the Pete Kendall situation. This post pretty much sums up every reason why its not even close to comparable.

I think this is exactly like the Kendall situation, expect we should be able to handle the loss of Rhodes without a big money FA.

- Pissed off veterans pissing off management.

- Got mid-round picks for them.

- Made an example of by management.

- Message sent to players after the move.

- Both guys who wore out their welcome here.

The differences:

- Rhodes is 5-6 years younger than Kendall.

- Rhodes is going to a pretty decent team.

- The '10 Jets can handle losing a Rhodes way better than the '07 Jets could handle losing a Kendall.

- There's still upside in Rhodes for the other team.

- All this pro-Kednall "Rhodes is the worst guy EVER" talk ignores that the Jets were the 2nd team to cut Kendall because of his mouth outplaying his play.

I hate that some random dude has to be villianized every other week or so. And the latest villian is always the worst of the villians...We got rid of Rhodes because we didn't need him and we could afford to do it. If he gets his head out of his ass he's still got the chance to be a top player, and he's working with one of the top safeties in the league.

And that's why it's completely different.

Cutting a player you can afford to lose is not on par with one you can.

Well at the time I think they thought they could simply plug another guy in for Kendall. That was where alot of the criticism was aimed at IIRC.

after

the draft

after
free agency was over

after

after

all of
2 weeks

Great post. Spot on & enlightening.

If the Jets had not addressed the position in FA or the draft, had never seen the other safeties on the team in meaningful game action, and then waited until the end of August to trade Rhodes, then I would think it was exactly the same thing.

Ryan didn't want him. They wanted to move him before his roster bonus. They wanted to move him before the draft to use that pick this season.

It's different. And I was no Kendall-is-God type at all.

Well at the time I think they thought they could simply plug another guy in for Kendall. That was where alot of the criticism was aimed at IIRC.

Why would they think that? Clarke had already been benched for Bender in the preseason until Bender gave up 2 sacks in 3 plays. Smith has already proven he is able to start at safety. Smith may be a JAG, but the guys they tried to use in place of Kendall did not belong in the league.

I hate that some random dude has to be villianized every other week or so. And the latest villian is always the worst of the villians...We got rid of Rhodes because we didn't need him and we could afford to do it. If he gets his head out of his ass he's still got the chance to be a top player, and he's working with one of the top safeties in the league.

Boo fk'n hoo ... poor Kerry became a villain and he dint do nuthin wrong. He was unjustly and randomly picked out and picked on when the poor guy was giving it his all and was totally devoted to the team. It'll be next to impossible to replace all the monster plays he contributed this season. Go load another bowl.

Dont know if this has been mentioned, but do you all think Donnie Henderson(new secondary coach in AZ) had a lot to do with Rhodes going there?

When the Rhodes to Az rumors first started, Donnie was named as a big reason why.

Dont know if this has been mentioned, but do you all think Donnie Henderson(new secondary coach in AZ) had a lot to do with Rhodes going there?

When the Rhodes to Az rumors first started, Donnie was named as a big reason why.

Yep, Donnie Henderson and Dennis Thurman both a lot to do with Rhodes going there. One wanted him, the other didn't.

Archived