KERRY RHODES TRADED!!!!

SoFlaJets

ok, so we don't need to go after a cb in the first two rounds, but now we need to get a safety. This draft had some decent cb's, but safeties i'm not to sure about. Unless we work a trade for one or try and sign one. This trade made us weaker in the fact that we still need to replace rhodes.

Dude.

1 day ago we needed to replace Rhodes, even though he was on the roster.

Now, we need to replace him, but have some draft picks and an obvious commitment to doing so.

Don't judge the trade until you have seen what else Tannenbaum and Rex are trying to accomplish. You have to look at an off-season as a cumulative effort to improving the team.

No "one move" is going to save the day. Let them finish... we are only like 2 days into the off-season. Sheesh.

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He's an RFA, but only at a "right of first refusal" offer. We can sign him under those rules and if St Louis doesn't match, we owe them nothing.

He's a RFA with the lowest "right of first refusal" tender placed on him - no picks involved! A poison pill deal gets it done.

Gracias.

Slats, can you please explain the "poison pill" to me,TIA!

Getting a fourth for Kerry, then spending a 1st or 2nd on his replacement would piss me off.

Kerry is mediocre... you get a mediocre safety for a 4th.

If you want to bring in a player better than Kerrry, then you have to spend more than a 4th. This isn't Madden.

I really, really hope they aren't thinking that way. I'd like to think Tanny has a firmer plan in place. That either they're reasonably satisfied with Smith/Ihedgibo, plan to go after Atogwe, or have some other low cost (especially in picks) idea in mind.

Getting a fourth for Kerry, then spending a 1st or 2nd on his replacement would piss me off.

One of the many positives of this trade is that it's likely been in the planning stages for months, so you'd imagine that Tannenbaum and Rex have a plan laid out to replace Rhodes with a guy that Rex actually wants to coach. This isn't one of those deals where a player gets his third DUI and a team feels pressured to pawn him off the next day.

Dude.

Now, we need to replace him, but have some draft picks and an obvious commitment to doing so.

Don't judge the trade until you have seen what else Tannenbaum and Rex are trying to accomplish. You have to look at an off-season as a cumulative effort to improving the team.

No "one move" is going to save the day. Let them finish... we are only like 2 days into the off-season. Sheesh.

true, but i disagree with needing to replace him. I was on the bus that was going to give him one more year for him to figure out what rex wanted. After he got benched he seemed to be on board. I think it is funny that the aspiring actor was in a great place to get his acting career off the grade and now he's stuck in Arizona.

Gracias.

Slats, can you please explain the "poison pill" to me,TIA!

They put a clause in there like a $10M bonus kicks in if he plays three games in St. Louis. Makes it impossible for the Rams to match, but doesn't hurt the Jets.

true, but i disagree with needing to replace him. I was on the bus that was going to give him one more year for him to figure out what rex wanted. After he got benched he seemed to be on board. I think it is funny that the aspiring actor was in a great place to get his acting career off the grade and now he's stuck in Arizona.

28 minutes.

That's about how far away from the SB the Jets were this year. Rex has VERY few problems to fix with this team this off-season. Rhodes was THE most obvious issue. I don't understand a "wait and see" attitude. Rhodes had a contract laden with a bunch of incentives that would have cost the Jets much more money to get rid of him for another year of mediocre play.

Why does Rex need another year to figure out what he wants, when Rex clearly already knows what he wants?

None of this rational makes any sense. Rhodes had to be moved in the uncapped year and he had to be moved based upon Rex's timeline for making the decision... not what the fans "think" Rex's timeline for making the decision should have been.

Clearly, the fans that are waffling and whining about the trade of a player that was BENCH this season.... the closest the Jets have come to the SuperBowl in a decade... have no desire to see this team win. That is the only thing I can figure... because none of this other nonsense is rational.

One of the many positives of this trade is that it's likely been in the planning stages for months, so you'd imagine that Tannenbaum and Rex have a plan laid out to replace Rhodes with a guy that Rex actually wants to coach. This isn't one of those deals where a player gets his third DUI and a team feels pressured to pawn him off the next day.

Probably. But feeling a little cheated in this trade at the moment, I want to know what the plan is NOW!

Dude.

I think Tanny and Ryan have a plan here. I can't believe they would have pulled the trigger on the Rhodes deal unless they were awfully close to signing his replacement.

1) This is a reality check for a lot of Jet fans. We got back just about what Rhodes is worth. Draft picks are gold in the NFL and no one was dealing us a 3rd round pick for Rhodes. Its comical how people think that other teams are going to give up 3rd round picks for our leftovers.

2) Most Jet fans dont realize is that Rhodes is just an average player. A saftey who is NOT a big hitter and is NOT a difference maker on defense.

3) After all the recent trades, we need to add depth to this team thru the draft. Signing FAs and guys from other teams practice squads eventually catches up to you.

4) Or these extra picks could be used to move up a few spots if someone Tanny really likes happens to fall on draft day.

Probably. But feeling a little cheated in this trade at the moment, I want to know what the plan is NOW!

The patient man wins... the impatient man is a Bears fan this year.

It feels good not being "that" team this year.

Win in January, not in April.

This is genius thinking. Esp bcuz i said virtually the same thing two posts ago! :Banane43:

Patience is a virtue, slats! Good things come to those who wait...

I'm just doing my Veruca Salt routine. I'll be okay.

They put a clause in there like a $10M bonus kicks in if he plays three games in St. Louis. Makes it impossible for the Rams to match, but doesn't hurt the Jets.

I wouldn't count on a poison pill there hasen't been one since the Burelson/Hutchenson pissing contest between Seattle and Minnesota(Vikings won) . There's a lot of talk there is collusion between the owners. I gotta believe it's true if not hopefully an offer to Atogwe has already been made

I agree with this.

BUT, some Jet fans like myself have the Pete Kendall debacle in the back of our minds.

Getting rid of Kendall wasn't the issue. Not having an adequate replacement was.

Tannenbaum was the GM who got rid of Kendall without an adequate replacement. So although I have faith in Tanny, that past gross mistake prevents me from having blind faith.

28 minutes.

That's about how far away from the SB the Jets were this year. Rex has VERY few problems to fix with this team this off-season. Rhodes was THE most obvious issue. I don't understand a "wait and see" attitude. Rhodes had a contract laden with a bunch of incentives that would have cost the Jets much more money to get rid of him for another year of mediocre play.

Why does Rex need another year to figure out what he wants, when Rex clearly already knows what he wants?

None of this rational makes any sense. Rhodes had to be moved in the uncapped year and he had to be moved based upon Rex's timeline for making the decision... not what the fans "think" Rex's timeline for making the decision should have been.

Clearly, the fans that are waffling and whining about the trade of a player that was BENCH this season.... the closest the Jets have come to the SuperBowl in a decade... have no desire to see this team win. That is the only thing I can figure... because none of this other nonsense is rational.

Dude, fans can feel how they want about any trade they want. Doesn't mean they want to see the team lose. Just cause they don't agree with you or how things work doesn't mean they aren't rational. This is a place to bounce ideas and opinions off people. So state your opinion but no need to be a jerk.

I'm shocked at most of you... lamenting the trade of a mediocre player who in theory betrayed this team by putting himself first. Rex told us all he wouldn't beg anyone to "play" for this team. I say good riddance to mediocre talent.

I expect Kerry's shoes to be filled by a football player, not an aspiring D-list celebrity.

you're in rare form tonight. Did you get super laid or something. You been spitting that " hot fire" in this thread

I wouldn't count on a poison pill there hasen't been one since the Burelson/Hutchenson pissing contest between Seattle and Minnesota(Vikings won) . There's a lot of talk there there is collusion between the owners. I gotta believe it's true if not hopefully an offer to Atogwe has already been made

There is a lot of that talk. The union is watching this year's transactions very closely. All the more reason to insert one of those bitter pills in there, IMHO. Otherwise they look like they are colluding.

I'm shocked at most of you... lamenting the trade of a mediocre player who in theory betrayed this team by putting himself first. Rex told us all he wouldn't beg anyone to "play" for this team. I say good riddance to mediocre talent.

I expect Kerry's shoes to be filled by a football player, not an aspiring D-list celebrity.

100% correct.

I thought the league outlawed these "posion pills" because of the unfairness. I mean wouldn't every team be doing this to get the player they want? Why didn't the Jets do this with Miles Austin last season?

I agree with this.

BUT, some Jet fans like myself have the Pete Kendall debacle in the back of our minds.

Getting rid of Kendall wasn't the issue. Not having an adequate replacement was.

Tannenbaum was the GM who got rid of Kendall without an adequate replacement. So although I have faith in Tanny, that past gross mistake prevents me from having blind faith.

Completely different situation. 1) We have more depth at safety than we had at guard at the time. 2) That move was made during training camp, this move was made at the beginning of the offseason. There is plenty of time to find a replacement if one hasn't already been found.

By my count, the Jets now have five picks this year, a 1st, 2nd, 4th, 6th and 7th. Can anyone confirm that?

Dude, fans can feel how they want about any trade they want. Doesn't mean they want to see the team lose. Just cause they don't agree with you or how things work doesn't mean they aren't rational. This is a place to bounce ideas and opinions off people. So state your opinion but no need to be a jerk.

I'm not being a jerk, my opinion is simply that these ideas are not rational.

You don't like my opinion, so you are taking offense to it. No offense is meant. I just don't get why the big outcry for a mediocre player that put himself before the team.

Jets fans have to get over the love affair with individual stars. It is NOT part of this team's culture anymore... and that is a good thing.

TEAMS win SuperBowls... not individuals.

you're in rare form tonight. Did you get super laid or something. You been spitting that " hot fire" in this thread

Haha... I've been waiting for Rhodes to get traded for 2 seasons. I have tentatively scheduled the super laid for 11:30 - 1:30.

I thought the league outlawed these "posion pills" because of the unfairness. I mean wouldn't every team be doing this to get the player they want? Why didn't the Jets do this with Miles Austin last season?

They're completely legal.

Jets opted not to extend Austin an offer sheet last year, they weren't matched.

Why doesn't every team do this? Collusion, perhaps.

Nooooo no no no. You don't want to scratch a guy like Atogwe a poison pill contract because he's the only guy available now. That is Bradwayish! We aren't sitting at a bar at closing time in a hurry to settle on one of the trollish women left behind here. There is no urgency. We can wait a while, come back to the bar tomorrow night, pick and choose. If we don't like the trade demands the Colts place on getting Bethea, then we can look at the draft for a safety. No rush to replace Rhodes. The ABSOLUTE worst case scenario is that Eric Smith is our starting free safety next year and while that obviously is not optimal, it's survivable, imo.

Haha... I've been waiting for Rhodes to get traded for 2 seasons. I have tentatively scheduled the super laid for 11:30 - 1:30.

Two hours, bro? Come on now. Admit you were going going to watch "Superbad" for an 1:45 of those two hours.

Don't really get the contingent that says Rhodes is gone because in Rex's defense, the free safety has to be a hard hitter.

Ed Reed is a lot of things. A great tackler is not one of them.

If Kerry would have played the way he did in '06 and '07, he'd still be here.

We need a ballhawk to play centerfield, not a matador *****. Kerry could have been a ballhawk. He used to be one. But it seems like he got his contract and decided he was Tefflon. Happy tweeting in Arizona, Kerry. Thanks for those two good years where you tricked us into thinking you were going to be a special player.

I'm not being a jerk, my opinion is simply that these ideas are not rational.

You don't like my opinion, so you are taking offense to it. No offense is meant. I just don't get why the big outcry for a mediocre player that put himself before the team.

Jets fans have to get over the love affair with individual stars. It is NOT part of this team's culture anymore... and that is a good thing.

TEAMS win SuperBowls... not individuals.

lol, if you've read any of my posts you'll find I'm one of the most easy going people on here. I enjoy reading other people's opinions. You're the one that ranted and raved about people not liking the trade. take a chill and relax.

1) This is a reality check for a lot of Jet fans. We got back just about what Rhodes is worth. Draft picks are gold in the NFL and no one was dealing us a 3rd round pick for Rhodes. Its comical how people think that other teams are going to give up 3rd round picks for our leftovers.

2) Most Jet fans dont realize is that Rhodes is just an average player. A saftey who is NOT a big hitter and is NOT a difference maker on defense.

3) After all the recent trades, we need to add depth to this team thru the draft. Signing FAs and guys from other teams practice squads eventually catches up to you.

4) Or these extra picks could be used to move up a few spots if someone Tanny really likes happens to fall on draft day.

Judging by the way Rhodes plays on the field, he'd be late in coverage for his own funeral.

Two hours, bro? Come on now. Admit you were going going to watch "Superbad" for an 1:45 of those two hours.

Aww come on let the man have his fun, unlike some guys here who are lucky enough to get a little missionary under the sheets from the wife on their birthdays LOL

You know who you are!!!!!! CTFU!

Archived