KERRY RHODES TRADED!!!!

SoFlaJets

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply
lol, if you've read any of my posts you'll find I'm one of the most easy going people on here. I enjoy reading other people's opinions. You're the one that ranted and raved about people not liking the trade. take a chill and relax.

I contend that you still don't like my opinion. I am relaxed... just giving you guys some tough love. Heck some of you sound like we all did 4-5 years ago when NOTHING was going right.

Losing Rhodes is NOT a big deal. So far the Jets have made 2 transactions and they have gotten more than they have given up. I am happy.

I contend that you still don't like my opinion. I am relaxed... just giving you guys some tough love. Heck some of you sound like we all did 4-5 years ago when NOTHING was going right.

Losing Rhodes is NOT a big deal. So far the Jets have made 2 transactions and they have gotten more than they have given up. I am happy.

This is where your don't understand. I don't like or dislike your opinion. I dislike that you were rude to people. And tough love isn't what you were giving.

KERRY RHODES GOT BENCHED FOR ERIC SMITH

HELLO

Looking at this issue objectively, is there anyone here who REALLY thinks we couldn't have done just as well with Eric Smith starting all season? That tells you all you need to know. It's not that Eric is equally talented but he runs *towards* contact and gives what he has... unlike Rhodes.

So, either way I figure we're just as good at that position as we were last year. Smith, Lowery, someone else, whatever.... glad to be rid of this guy

2F3wQvJt81c

Look who is late in coverage on probably the play that cost us a VERY REALISIC CHANCE to go to the super bowl.

Sure, I know it was the end of the 1st half only, but if the Colts do not score there, and we're up 2 scores going into half... we have a very good shot at winning!

(Look at 15 seconds in)

And this isn't making him a scapegoat for 1 play.. he does this crap ALL THE TIME.

(YES, I KNOW THE INT was missed and should not have been gone for, but RHODES was so out of position it wasn't funny)

Don't really get the contingent that says Rhodes is gone because in Rex's defense, the free safety has to be a hard hitter.

Ed Reed is a lot of things. A great tackler is not one of them.

If Kerry would have played the way he did in '06 and '07, he'd still be here.

We need a ballhawk to play centerfield, not a matador *****. Kerry could have been a ballhawk. He used to be one. But it seems like he got his contract and decided he was Tefflon. Happy tweeting in Arizona, Kerry. Thanks for those two good years where you tricked us into thinking you were going to be a special player.

Rhodes being soft, not hitting, and hitting like a sissy when he did, where the over and above reasons to get rid of him. The primary reason was he didn't make plays to stop the opposing offense when he could default to his deep cover mode. You sometimes saw him make tackles (when he didn't whiff) at or behind the LOS - those were "have to's" - his coverage on the play was a stuff or blind blitz and he couldn't back out of and fiend off like he had to cover deep. In pass coverage he seldom got close enough to the play because he was all about hanging back. Probably because he knew he was easily torched with his flat feet. The picks he had were thrown right at him and he could have had 3x as many if he even interrupted a route let alone jumped one. I don't agree at all that the position didn't require a change. He sucked and that coupled with being afraid to hit made Ryan's decision an easy one. What was/is wrong with him won't improve with another year in an aggressive system - it will just expose him further and make it harder to unload the punk.

They're completely legal.

Jets opted not to extend Austin an offer sheet last year, they weren't matched.

Why doesn't every team do this? Collusion, perhaps.

I could have sworn that I heard that the league wasn't going to approve transactions containing poison pills as you described. I can't see the league approving such a transaction these days. There has to be a reason there hasn't been one in a long time. It's not likely the Jets can get away with this now.

As far as Austin, I didn't mean the Jets extended an offer sheet, I meant why didn't they (assuming poison pills were allowed) when they so desperately needed a receiver? It was widely speculated that Jerry Jones would match almost any offer, so if a poison pill could be used, that would have been an ideal situation.

I could have sworn that I heard that the league wasn't going to approve transactions containing poison pills as you described. I can't see the league approving such a transaction these days. There has to be a reason there hasn't been one in a long time. It's not likely the Jets can get away with this now.

As far as Austin, I didn't mean the Jets extended an offer sheet, I meant why didn't they (assuming poison pills were allowed) when they so desperately needed a receiver? It was widely speculated that Jerry Jones would match almost any offer, so if a poison pill could be used, that would have been an ideal situation.

As far as the league goes it's 100% legal to place a "Poison Pill" an independent arbitrator ruled so during the Hutchinson/Burleson thing. The reason it hasn't been done is apparently collision between ownership. Austin I don't remember ever extending an offer to. In retrospect it would have been good looking at what he's done, but I'm happy with Sanchez. Easier to find a WR then a QB.

Yea...we got ripped off. Rhodes and Wilson in the same secondary should be pretty beast...Can't wait to show off the Leonhard/Eric Smith combo.

With Revis and AC, we don't even need safeties. Eric Smith is no Ed Reed but he did just fine replacing him.

I wish we could have gotten more for him too; at least a 3rd. But I don't blame Tanny for that, I blame Rhodes. I'm not gonna cry over a 1 round difference though, he was a huge disappointment, especially last year. Not sure what the deal with the 7th is though.

I agree with this.

BUT, some Jet fans like myself have the Pete Kendall debacle in the back of our minds.

Getting rid of Kendall wasn't the issue. Not having an adequate replacement was.

Tannenbaum was the GM who got rid of Kendall without an adequate replacement. So although I have faith in Tanny, that past gross mistake prevents me from having blind faith.

I get scared about how the Kendall thing was handled all the time. This isn't like that. Eric Smith is a JAG, but he's not Adrien Clarke. We've seen him play and start in the NFL. He's far from optimal, but he can get the job done. Adrien Clarke and Bender were turnstiles. Smith is the worst case scenario and he's not that bad.

They're completely legal.

Jets opted not to extend Austin an offer sheet last year, they weren't matched.

Why doesn't every team do this? Collusion, perhaps.

Tagliabue said he was going to outlaw them and I think they independently review all contracts. There may be a "gentleman's agreement" but I'm not so sure the can't play 7 games in St. Louis thing would fly. There are plenty of other ways to slip in a poison pill, but a lot of that will be restricted by the inability to have the salary go up by more than a certain percentage each year and other restrictions of the uncapped year.

I get scared about how the Kendall thing was handled all the time. This isn't like that. Eric Smith is a JAG, but he's not Adrien Clarke. We've seen him play and start in the NFL. He's far from optimal, but he can get the job done. Adrien Clarke and Bender were turnstiles. Smith is the worst case scenario and he's not that bad.

Tagliabue said he was going to outlaw them and I think they independently review all contracts. There may be a "gentleman's agreement" but I'm not so sure the can't play 7 games in St. Louis thing would fly. There are plenty of other ways to slip in a poison pill, but a lot of that will be restricted by the inability to have the salary go up by more than a certain percentage each year and other restrictions of the uncapped year.

A poison pill would be easy. Offer 5 yrs 30 m to someone say. 15 guaranteed. If someone plays 4 games in a city in any year the salary is fully guaranteed and extended to 7 for 45

This trade creates an immediate need in the Secondary once again, and we already still needed to add a second CB in this years offseason. Yes, we have Cromartie, on a 1 year deal, but we need someone else, and we could very well still take Wilson or McCourty at 29. Now, Safety is the #1 need, because personally I don't think Eric Smith or James Ihedigbo is getting the job done for 16 straight games, year after year.

The Jets better have a plan. Loved Tanny on Thursday Night/Friday, not too happy with him right now. But, have to wait and see what we're going to replace 25 with.

OJ Atogwe from STL, maybe?

A poison pill would be easy. Offer 5 yrs 30 m to someone say. 15 guaranteed. If someone plays 4 games in a city in any year the salary is fully guaranteed and extended to 7 for 45

I know that is still technically legal, but Tagliabue acted like he wouldn't allow it. I have no idea what Goodell would do. I think the Burleson thing was allowed partially to allow the Seahawks to get even for Hutchinson.

This trade creates an immediate need in the Secondary once again, and we already still needed to add a second CB in this years offseason. Yes, we have Cromartie, on a 1 year deal, but we need someone else, and we could very well still take Wilson or McCourty at 29. Now, Safety is the #1 need, because personally I don't think Eric Smith or James Ihedigbo is getting the job done for 16 straight games, year after year.

The Jets better have a plan. Loved Tanny on Thursday Night/Friday, not too happy with him right now. But, have to wait and see what we're going to replace 25 with.

OJ Atogwe from STL, maybe?

and you base your statements re: Eric Smith and Ihedigbo on what? Both seem to be the type of player that excells in a REX RYAN defense. I see no cause for doom and gloom at this point. IMO Ryan knows what he is doing. He has the responsibility to win- NOW. I am sure that RYAN & Mr. T will stack a ton of hitting safeties on this team. Sayonara RHODES! Go play pansey in the desert!

and you base your statements re: Eric Smith and Ihedigbo on what? Both seem to be the type of player that excells in a REX RYAN defense. I see no cause for doom and gloom at this point. IMO Ryan knows what he is doing. He has the responsibility to win- NOW. I am sure that RYAN & Mr. T will stack a ton of hitting safeties on this team. Sayonara RHODES! Go play pansey in the desert!

I'm not ****ting my pants with starting those guys, but it was pretty pathetic watching Smith chase Dallas Clark around. Ihedigbo is even worse in coverage. I'd bet they will bring in a safety with some cover skills.

I woke up this morning and feel no differently about this trade. We got fleeced. Hard. Lose a starter and get nothing significant in return.

except he wasn't going to start next year.... or they do not move him.

Check out games from 2009... Teams with a solid TE or teams t hat could go deep over the middle abused us. Look at the biggest play of our season.. 2 minutes to go in the 1st half of the afc championship game.... YOU DO NOT LET SOMEONE GET BEHIND YOU. He was so late in coverage it wasn't funny because he was OUTSIDE THE NUMBERS.

I'm not ****ting my pants with starting those guys, but it was pretty pathetic watching Smith chase Dallas Clark around. Ihedigbo is even worse in coverage. I'd bet they will bring in a safety with some cover skills.

If we end up starting either of those guys in Rhodes' place then this trade was a disaster.

If we end up starting either of those guys in Rhodes' place then this trade was a disaster.

Examiner.com

Kerry off to Arizona

Bill Kostroun/APAnother day another smart move by the New York Jets. On Saturday Gang Green traded safety Kerry Rhodes to the Arizona Cardinals for a 4th round pick in 2010, and a 7th round pick in 2011. Rhodes, a former Pro-Bowl caliber playmaker and fan favorite, wore out his welcome in New York with questionable work ethic, lackadaisical play and his desire to stay in the headlines. While some may question the move as it creates a hole in the Jets secondary, I think this could be a case of addition by subtraction.

Gang Green

Another day another smart move by the New York Jets. On Saturday Gang Green traded safety Kerry Rhodes to the Arizona Cardinals for a 4th round pick in 2010, and a 7th round pick in 2011. Rhodes, a former Pro-Bowl caliber playmaker and fan favorite, wore out his welcome in New York with questionable work ethic, lackadaisical play and his desire to stay in the headlines. While some may question the move as it creates a hole in the Jets secondary, I think this could be a case of addition by subtraction.

Gang Green

Archived