KR Trade can't mean anything but...

Jets1Fan

We're trading up either for Eric Berry with our 1st, 2nd, and 5th, maybe keeping the 4th from Arizona. Maybe some additional things as well, as I'm not the best at figuring out the exact trade value but we're going to be selecting 1 of 3 players....

Eric Berry (Maybe Lions trade #2, before Berry goes to Bucs possibly)

Taylor Mays (Probably a top 12 pick)

Earl Thomas (Might not have to trade up for this guy, but people like his football instincts)

what do ya think!??!?! Personally, I want Mays at 11 or so

or maybe we get one of the rfa safteties that are available. like otogwe.

I actually like Atogwe a lot. Good physical young safety, but I think that after Rex went through what he did with Kerry, and with the S being Rex's quarterback on the defensive side of the field...I think he'll go ahead and trade up to get "his guy" for S. Sorta like what he did to start his franchise last year with trading up and draft Mark Sanchez.

But I wouldn't terribly mind Atogwe at the right price.

I really hope we go for DL help in this draft. Trading away that many picks to get a safety when we had one who was pretty good (albeit a pansy) seems like moving backwards to me. We NEED a natural pass rush to bring this D to a place where the peyton mannings of the world can't torch us like in the AFC championship game.

I hope they have another plan than the one mentioned in this thread.

There will be no tradimg up in this years draft unless we give up picks for 2011 not 2010 this is the deepest draft ever Tanny wants to make some picks here I would think.

That's what I'm thinking. Let's just hope Tanny can keep it in his pants this year. He gets reeeeeally excited some times :Ban:

We're trading up either for Eric Berry with our 1st, 2nd, and 5th, maybe keeping the 4th from Arizona. Maybe some additional things as well, as I'm not the best at figuring out the exact trade value but we're going to be selecting 1 of 3 players....

Eric Berry (Maybe Lions trade #2, before Berry goes to Bucs possibly)

Taylor Mays (Probably a top 12 pick)

Earl Thomas (Might not have to trade up for this guy, but people like his football instincts)

what do ya think!??!?! Personally, I want Mays at 11 or so

Mays at 29 makes me leery...Mays at 11 (and the price to get there) is downright sickening! Gholston part deux.

Do not want Mays.

Need a player that can come in an contribute NOW. This team is built for a championship run. Can't afford to have Gholston and Mays and their salaries holding this team back right now.

One project is MORE than enough.

Give me a veteran or Berry. I'd prefer teh veteran and not trading away draft picks for a change.

This draft is absolutely to deep for us to trade up.

Does anyone know how many draft picks we now have?

1,2, 4, 5, 6, 7.

I doubt we're trading for Berry, but it'd be nice. Iunno why we have to lock our first round pick everytime a new "biggest hole" opens up.

Guys the writings on the wall. Tanny has said already by getting Cro we can draft best available in the draft. So why fill one need and make another?.. because he has intentions at going after another safety in F.A. My guess is Otagwa and I'm pretty sure the Jets aren't going to start a rookie at FS.

We will get another safety soon and draft BPA.

my opinion is rex will go with ihedigbo/smith/leonhard at safety for now.

if they need to address this position it will be later in the offseason when/if something becomes available, unless of course a diamond drops to them in the draft (like earl thomas).

i don't think they will make a move up for a safety. it wouldn't even surprise me actually if they were to draft a CB before a safety in the 4th round to play in the nickel and dime.

Rhodes was traded for so little that it makes sense to look for secret motives such as targeting a safety in the draft. I'm starting to wonder if the secret motive was saving money. In a short while Rhodes gets a $2M bonus, maybe they were in a rush to trade him before that. Maybe the PSLs aren't selling and Woody is shorter of cash than we think.

my opinion is rex will go with ihedigbo/smith/leonhard at safety for now.

if they need to address this position it will be later in the offseason when/if something becomes available, unless of course a diamond drops to them in the draft (like earl thomas).

i don't think they will make a move up for a safety. it wouldn't even surprise me actually if they were to draft a CB before a safety in the 4th round to play in the nickel and dime.

No way Rex is looking for another Ed Reed not a Steve Erkel.

Rhodes was traded for so little that it makes sense to look for secret motives such as targeting a safety in the draft. I'm starting to wonder if the secret motive was saving money. In a short while Rhodes gets a $2M bonus, maybe they were in a rush to trade him before that. Maybe the PSLs aren't selling and Woody is shorter of cash than we think.

wtf?

a 4th and a 7th was a GIFT for Rhodes... better players were cut or let to become UFA's this season already...

wtf?

a 4th and a 7th was a GIFT for Rhodes... better players were cut or let to become UFA's this season already...

....Such as?

Amongst players with contracts of course...I mean, does the fact that the Cardinals REALLY wanted to trade Boldin for a while now make him both a p*ssy and not that good?

No way Rex is looking for another Ed Reed not a Steve Erkel.

Rex Loves CB's, not safeties. He's now got two guys who should be able to hold up in man coverage most days, which means whoever's playing safety just needs to dish out punishment. Support the run defense, blitz the QB, cripple receivers. That will be the job. Rex will target another CB before he targets a safety. Smith and Ihedigbo can do what Rex needs at safety. Another CB would allow the Jets to cover the third WR or TE that some teams employ. Some games they'll go with a stock package, other games they'll start with three CB's.

Cromartie coming in signaled Rhodes leaving. Can't have two softies in the secondary, and don't need what Kerry might bring in coverage. Just need a team guy back there.

More I think about it, more I think safety's a non-issue. I think they'll go BAP thru-out the draft, and hope to land a guy in the later rounds.

Shorter on cash than we think? Johnson's baby shampoo alone pays our teams budget. No more tears man. Need I say more? :)

wtf?

Because he can't tackle? Neither can Cromartie.

Because he only put up big numbers in his second season? Same as Cromartie.

And there are 4 years left on Rhodes' contract, only one left on Cromartie's. The Cards got a steal.

And there are 4 years left on Rhodes' contract, only one left on Cromartie's. The Cards got a steal.

CB's aren't expected to be big-hitters in Rex's defense. Safeties are. The Cards MAY have gotten a steal for their purposes, but he'll give them a lot of headaches too.

I'm pretty sure it can mean something else.

I agree with this. Most of us knew that it was a stong possibility for Rhodes to be traded before the year even ended. Its not like we traded him because of Berry or Mays.

However, this could be a possibility. We could either trade for someone and give away our 1st or trade up for Berry given that though we all want a pass rusher, the Jets are keeping Gholston. They cant draft a pass rusher if they're still going to give him a chance to play this year. This only leaves a WR and S for our 1st pick IMO. They'll have to trade up for Mays or Berry and I believe if they trade up it wont be for Mays....especially since Berry looks like a sure thing.

They'll either draft a WR at 29, trade up for a WR or trade up for Berry. I dont see them taking a RB or drafting a pass rusher if they're keeping Gholston.

1,2, 4, 5, 6, 7.

I doubt we're trading for Berry, but it'd be nice. Iunno why we have to lock our first round pick everytime a new "biggest hole" opens up.

Because if we don't fill our biggest hole in free agency, that will obviously be our first round pick in the draft, as the players in the draft get worse every round.

Because if we don't fill our biggest hole in free agency, that will obviously be our first round pick in the draft, as the players in the draft get worse every round.

That's only if we're drafting for need, which isn't always the case. And I'd say that FS might not even be our biggest need on defense. We could use more help in the front 7, and afford to wait until the later rounds to address safety. We also have needs at the # 3 WR and CB spots, too that are crucial to our success.

I'm comfortable going into 2010 with Eric Smith, James Ihedigbo and a safety we take in the 4th or 5th round duking it out for the FS spot if it means we can shore up our needs at DE, slot receiver, and/or nickle corner earlier in the draft.

I can't remember ever being higher on a player going into a draft then I am with Eric Berry this year. He's just a great player his ownage of Tebow gave me great pleasure this year. All that being said unless Mangini rufees Holmgren and we can steal a top 5 pick like last year it isn't worth it. We need the depth. He would be a monster on this defense but we can't afford it.

That's only if we're drafting for need, which isn't always the case. And I'd say that FS might not even be our biggest need on defense. We could use more help in the front 7, and afford to wait until the later rounds to address safety. We also have needs at the # 3 WR and CB spots, too that are crucial to our success.

I'm comfortable going into 2010 with Eric Smith, James Ihedigbo and a safety we take in the 4th or 5th round duking it out for the FS spot if it means we can shore up our needs at DE, slot receiver, and/or nickle corner earlier in the draft.

Smith and Ihedigbo arent bad, and if Gholston can come through as a pass rusher which is what the Jets seem to expect I think that our 1st round pick will be going on a WR if they dont trade up. I totally agree that we need help at the front 7, but we're not going DT in the first round so that would leave DE/OLB which they're keeping Gholston so It seems to me atleast that a WR will be in our future to grow it Sanchize. Or as you said we can go CB.

Smith and Ihedigbo arent bad, and if Gholston can come through as a pass rusher which is what the Jets seem to expect I think that our 1st round pick will be going on a WR if they dont trade up. I totally agree that we need help at the front 7, but we're not going DT in the first round so that would leave DE/OLB which they're keeping Gholston so It seems to me atleast that a WR will be in our future to grow it Sanchize. Or as you said we can go CB.

Personally, I'd like to go after an RFA or 2 before we decide how we handle the draft. OJ Atogwe has been floated around on the boards, and seeing as a friend of mine is a Rams fan and knowing how crushed he'd be to lose Atogwe, I think he'd be a great get for the Jets.

I also highly doubt we go WR in round 1. With as badly as the WR's performed in the combines among what was already a pretty weak crop, we can wait for the board to come to us and grab a Jordan Shipley-type.

Overall, I can see Tanny going after RFA's agressively, then taking BPA in the draft. None of our needs are so glaring that failing to fill them early in the draft will be crippling. The only position where that might have been the case was at # 2 CB after having cut Lito, and we just addressed it.

I just do not like giving up draft picks to move up -too easy to get burned- see D-Rob

Sure you can get burned. You also can score big. See- Revis, Harris, Sanchez and Greene.

Secret motive? WTF? You think they should wait until after March 12 and then trade him? We all knew he was gone from the time he got benched. Why pay him a $2M bonux? It's not a secret, everybody on the planet knows you don't pay a guy $2M before you cut him loose.

Yes, 4 overpriced years. The guy was basically a backup/part-timer for Rex and the Jets had given him a pretty nice contract. Rhodes contract was a noose, not a liferaft.

Rex Loves CB's, not safeties. He's now got two guys who should be able to hold up in man coverage most days, which means whoever's playing safety just needs to dish out punishment. Support the run defense, blitz the QB, cripple receivers. That will be the job. Rex will target another CB before he targets a safety. Smith and Ihedigbo can do what Rex needs at safety. Another CB would allow the Jets to cover the third WR or TE that some teams employ. Some games they'll go with a stock package, other games they'll start with three CB's.

Cromartie coming in signaled Rhodes leaving. Can't have two softies in the secondary, and don't need what Kerry might bring in coverage. Just need a team guy back there.

More I think about it, more I think safety's a non-issue. I think they'll go BAP thru-out the draft, and hope to land a guy in the later rounds.

Rex loves corners and not safeties? He loves Revis. If our safeties were any good he'd love them too. See Ed Reed. He seems pretty fond of Leonhard. Don't forget that this is a guy who went through a season starting the likes of Corey Ivy, Frank Walker and Fabian Washington at corner and still managed the #3 scored D.

Reed didn't seem to be a big hitter. I think they will look for a safety with range to play that role. It doesn't even have to be a starting caliber player, just a cover guy to platoon. Rhodes would have been fine in that spot, but he's expensive and a whiny bitch. Besides, he didn't seem to cover too much ground back there lately anyway.

Archived