PFT- Market for Leon could heat up soon

spjets

Market for Leon Washington could heat up soon

Posted by Mike Florio on March 7, 2010 2:04 PM ET

NFL_washington-thumb-250x185-6767.jpgWith the Jets applying only a second-round tender to running back Leon Washington, they are essentially inviting another team to sign him to an offer sheet.

That process could get started, we're told, within the next day or two. Thus far, however, no visits have been scheduled.

Washington and the Jets were engaged in talks on a long-term deal last year, but no agreement could be reached. When he broke an ankle a leg in the regular season, the chances of a multi-year contract being done in the short term plummeted to zero.

But any team that needs help at running back -- especially if that team drafts in the lower portion of round two -- should be thinking about Washington, a versatile weapon who averaged nearly six yards per carry in 2008.

No one in their right mind would give a 2nd for him. Teams can barter on RFAs IIRC.

New England has 2-3 2nd round picks never say never. BB will screw us any way he can and he probably will. Better get TJ signed before its too late.

That process could get started, we're told, within the next day or two.

Who told you, Mike? Alvin Keels?

That said, I'd be surprised if the Leon market didn't heat up. Take a look at the FA RB market, or the draft, just not a ton of RB talent out there this year. Then there's Leon who, coming off this injury, should be available at a fairly reasonable rate. A team with a late pick would be wise to sign him to a reasonable tender and see what happens. Jets just might let him go.

Players recover from breaks like this. This isn't an ACL or the dreaded Lisfranc foot injury. This is something a guy's likely to heal from 100%. A couple good doctor reports, and most reasonable concerns should be alleviated.

Hmm...that'd be pretty funny. A 2nd for Leon would be a great deal for us...kinda.

Exactly.

I would love Leon in Foxboro to replace Kevin at 4-5 million per. As long as he has no aspirations to be a starter.

A 2nd for Leon or some college player? Hmmm.

No one in their right mind would give a 2nd for him. Teams can barter on RFAs IIRC.

You really think the Jets are going to TRADE Leon rather than get the tendered compensation?

I think that's crazy. I don't think the Jets are trying to unload Leon. They want to keep him unless they get an offer they can't refuse (2nd).

Tanny would be a moron to trade Leon rather than get the tendered compensation.

You really think the Jets are going to TRADE Leon rather than get the tendered compensation?

I think that's crazy. I don't think the Jets are trying to unload Leon. They want to keep him unless they get an offer they can't refuse (2nd).

Tanny would be a moron to trade Leon rather than get the tendered compensation.

Agreed. The 2nd round tender made sense, because the risk in losing him is worth the reward in that scenario. Unless he's thinking about going with a karmic strategy and just stocking up on 4th rounders given our luck over the past 10 or so years in that round.

Leon will NOT be traded.

IF he gets an offer, the Jets will either use it as a benchmark for their own negotiation with Leon... or they will take the 2nd rounder.

BUT they will not go out of their way to trade him.

They are gambling on the marketing driving Leon's worth so they don't have to pay him based upon his ****ty agent's demands.

I don"t know what I think of a late second, a high second I let him go in a min, I like Leon but we did get to champ game without him

True, but we lose him and now we're talking about possibly bringing in TWO new RB's now that we've let go of Jones. As it stands right now, Greene, Leon, and Chauncey Washington just aren't enough.

With the way we run the ball, we can and should justify having 4 RB's on the roster at any given time, so we ought to be looking to ACQUIRE another RB, not lose one and create another hole.

If someone were to sign him with a mid to early 2nd rounder I'd let him go. I love Leon but i think its little easier to find someone that aproximates what he gives us. If its a late 2nd I pause but still do it.

This is assuming of course that the offer isnt a reasonable contract in which case you match.

True, but we lose him and now we're talking about possibly bringing in TWO new RB's now that we've let go of Jones. As it stands right now, Greene, Leon, and Chauncey Washington just aren't enough.

With the way we run the ball, we can and should justify having 4 RB's on the roster at any given time, so we ought to be looking to ACQUIRE another RB, not lose one and create another hole.

Can we wait until we actually lose Leon Washington before we start bitching about it?

All the Jets are doing with Washington is letting other teams set the market. If Leon signs an offer sheet with another team the Jets will have a week to either match the offer and keep Leon at a dollar figure likely to be well below what his moronic agent thinks he deserves or let him go and get a 2nd round pick in return.

No use worrying about Leon being gone until he is actually gone and unless he signs an offer sheet in the next 24 hours, that can't be the case for at least 7 more days.

Archived