Jets to Match Any Offer For Washington

Hutch is talking straight out his ass on this one.

If "the Jets organization loves him as a player and person and truly believes he'll make a full recovery from injury" they would have given him a 1st round tender.

If "the Jets organization loves him as a player and person and truly believes he'll make a full recovery from injury" they would have given him a 1st round tender.

actually they would've given him the lowest tender since they'd be matching anyway so no need to set draft compensation.

actually they would've given him the lowest tender since they'd be matching anyway so no need to set draft compensation.

That doesn't make any sense.

The team signing him to an offer sheet could put a poison pill in it which the Jets couldn't be able to match and, thus, they would get the "lowest tender" as you say.

Sorry, but that is nonsensical.

That would have only cost another 800K.

Haha!

"Leon's the bestest human being ever, and he's gonna be even bestier when he gets that cast off his leg. Please, oh please, don't even think about giving him an offer sheet!"

That doesn't make any sense.

The team signing him to an offer sheet could put a poison pill in it which the Jets couldn't be able to match and, thus, they would get the "lowest tender" as you say.

Sorry, but that is nonsensical.

ah yes the old poison pill - you mean like if NE guarantees the whole contract if leon plays more than 5 games a year in NJ like Seattle did with Nate Burleson? although NE would probably use a clause accelerating the whole contract during a future capped year. pretty shocked the NFLPA allows such provisions that are not bona fide bargained for contractual terms. i don't personally mind but seeing as those clauses can be used to eliminate bidding wars i'm a little surprised the union hasn't done something to prevent them.

Edited by johnny green balls
Or maybe it is a misdirection leak, hoping to have a team make a huge offer. Jets need to have one of their RFA's signed by another team if they want to play in the market.

Dead wrong, GW.

RFA signing does not count as an UFA signing for the team losing a player.

It has to be a true UFA (6 yrs + in the NFL & contract expire) who signs elsewhere in order for the Jets to sign an UFA to the same value in the 1st year of the player lost's new contract.

The Jets, right now, can sign any RFA to an offer sheet. The restrictions are purely for UFAs.

ah yes the old poison pill - you mean like if NE guarantees the whole contract if leon plays more than 5 games a year in NJ like Seattle did with Nate Burleson? although NE would probably use a clause accelerating the whole contract during a future capped year. pretty shocked the NFLPA allows such provisions that are not bona fide bargained for contractual terms. i don't personally mind but seeing as those clauses can be used to eliminate bidding wars i'm a little surprised the union hasn't done something to prevent them.

I don't think the union cares. After all the player has to agree to the poison pill terms and it gives the player greater control to where he goes. If Leon Washington agrees to the poison pill provisions it is b/c he doesn't want to be a Jet. Otherwise he could go to the Jets and say here is the offer the other teams is giving if you match it w/o the poison pills I will sign with you.

Basically what the poison pills do is destroy much of the adv. a retaining team has and reduces them to cheaper less expensive franchise tags. Almost any team can poison pill, but if you were reasonable up front with the value of the player you will get it back as pick.

If the organization liked Leon so much, why are they tendering him at a 2nd round level after not giving him a new deal before the 2009 season? I don't buy it one bit.

And whose to say that San Francisco wouldn't give Leon a 4/5yr, $25-30 million deal. If the Jets before his broken leg in 2009 were only offering 4-5yr, $15-20 million (which is what was being reported), I highly doubt they would match that deal, with or without the poison pill.

Edited by 124
If the organization liked Leon so much, why are they tendering him at a 2nd round level after not giving him a new deal before the 2009 season? I don't buy it one bit.

And whose to say that San Francisco wouldn't give Leon a 4/5yr, $25-30 million deal. If the Jets before his broken leg in 2009 were only offering 4-5yr, $15-20 million (which is what was being reported), I highly doubt they would match that deal, with or without the poison pill.

Why would the Niners sign a RB coming off a compound fracture of his lower leg to that kind of deal?

The Jets tendered Leon at a 2nd because they wanted him to get offers. They wanted other teams to set his market. That way they can say they gave him the opportunity to explore free agency and then sign him to a fair deal.

If they tendered him at a first he wouldn't have gotten an offer.

Why would the Niners sign a RB coming off a compound fracture of his lower leg to that kind of deal?

The Jets tendered Leon at a 2nd because they wanted him to get offers. They wanted other teams to set his market. That way they can say they gave him the opportunity to explore free agency and then sign him to a fair deal.

If they tendered him at a first he wouldn't have gotten an offer.

can't believe i'm saying this but this sounds pretty close to the mark.

If we lose Leon, would that allow us to sign a UFA?

No but it would provide us with 3 picks in the first 64 of what is supposed to be the deepest draft in decades.

I don't want to see Leon go but a 2nd round pick for a 27 year old RB coming off a broken leg would certainly make losing him sting a bit less, especially if this draft lives up to its hype.

Or maybe it is a misdirection leak, hoping to have a team make a huge offer. Jets need to have one of their RFA's signed by another team if they want to play in the market.

Incorrect ! RFA's have NOTHING to do with it. UFA's only.

+1

I'm not even sure they would have allowed the Burleson thing if it weren't revenge for Hutchinson.

Your memory is most correct. That's the 1st thing I think of when I hear "poison pill" .

I think it was only used the two times (Hutchinson and Burleson). Hutchinson's was that he would be the highest paid OL on the team (SEA had Walter Jones and couldn't match) and Burleson's was the infamous 'five or more games in MINN' clause. But the real point is that it 'can' be used but I doubt a team is going to risk the fallout for Leon. If it's used again it would be for a true franchise player worth the risk. Then again, with owners like Davis and Snyder in the league, who knows...

Tannenbaum was actually the first with the poison pill when they made the tender offer for Curtis Martin. Forget the specifics, but it had something to do with the contract defaulting to a one year megabucks deal at Martin's discretion.

PFT talks about it all the time, and thinks if some team's don't employ it this year that the union is going to have a hissy fit. You'd potentially see it in cases where a player really wants to get away from a team. I don't think Leon falls into that category. The player has the power to nix a poison pill simply by going to his old team with his new offer before he signs the offer sheet.

Tannenbaum was actually the first with the poison pill when they made the tender offer for Curtis Martin. Forget the specifics, but it had something to do with the contract defaulting to a one year megabucks deal at Martin's discretion.

PFT talks about it all the time, and thinks if some team's don't employ it this year that the union is going to have a hissy fit. You'd potentially see it in cases where a player really wants to get away from a team. I don't think Leon falls into that category. The player has the power to nix a poison pill simply by going to his old team with his new offer before he signs the offer sheet.

Leon's not the type, but his douchenozzle agent is.

Leon's not the type, but his douchenozzle agent is.

His wife also wants to be in warmer weather, and although that doesn't sound like a big deal, as Jets fans we can all look back upon Antoine Winfield who was a sure thing to land here until his wife said that she didn't want to live in NY. Infact, Ryan Clark is in Pittsburgh instead of Miami due to his wife.

I don't see why the NFLPA would be in favor of poison pills. PFT is often full of ****. Especially Florio who is often considered their cap wizard. The union might be in favor of poison pills because they allow players to choose their teams. OTOH, the union wants players to get the most money possible.

A poison pill is just a method to force to team to give up on signing a player without having to pay a bigger contract. Martin's deal had that FA if matched thing and a whopping bonus the Pats couldn't afford. Those are things the NFLPA would like. Not being able to play 5 games in Minnesota or be the highest paid OL on your team are not.

Contracts with poison pills will proabably discourage future player movement, but with the unguaranteed nature of NFL contracts I'm not sure that matters or that the NFLPA would care.

I don't see why the NFLPA would be in favor of poison pills. PFT is often full of ****. Especially Florio who is often considered their cap wizard. The union might be in favor of poison pills because they allow players to choose their teams. OTOH, the union wants players to get the most money possible.

That's exactly why the union favors them. You have to figure that any offer sheet an RFA signs represents the most money he can get, but it's about that freedom to move.

As for Florio, the guy's a lawyer by trade. I don't buy into every one of his rumors, or the twists he likes to put on some stories, but as far as actual concrete NFL legal info, I think he might be the best source out there.

Did anybody hear the cheer for Leon during the halftime show honoring the "meadowland jets stars"?

it was loud.

and although i was screaming..i wasnt the only one.

i think Leon wants to be here.

it is about players.. unless you were born into the Jets, you probably choose them because of a player.. maybe it was Al Toon, Wayne Chrebet, Curtis, or Namath... Then you got stuck with the misery of the team...

but dont tell me it is not about players...

If Leon is on the Jets side comes september..wanna bet he gets one of the loudest cheers coming out of the tunnel of the new stadium.

it is about players.. unless you were born into the Jets, you probably choose them because of a player.. maybe it was Al Toon, Wayne Chrebet, Curtis, or Namath... Then you got stuck with the misery of the team....

Thank you Boomer Esiason.

That's exactly why the union favors them. You have to figure that any offer sheet an RFA signs represents the most money he can get, but it's about that freedom to move.

As for Florio, the guy's a lawyer by trade. I don't buy into every one of his rumors, or the twists he likes to put on some stories, but as far as actual concrete NFL legal info, I think he might be the best source out there.

I'm a lawyer by trade too. Big ****ing deal. ;)

That's why Florio says the union favors them. I've read several pieces that say that the union doesn't like them or is ambivalent. I don't think a player is getting the most money he can get when at least one other team would match the deal if it didn't have to pay triple the salary for playing on their home field. The union wants a true free market.

No matter what they actually think, the union isn't going to admit they don't care because the league doesn't like them and it will give them a bargaining chip in negotiations.

Poison Pill Still Permitted--

Earlier we had a discussion on whether a poison pill is still allowed in reference to any offer for Leon. PFT had a post on this topic. Here's an excerpt:

When the 32 teams convened at league meetings [4 years ago after the Hutchinson poison pill offersheet], the Vikings were met with animosity. Then, the NFL tried to write the poison-pill process out of the CBA. But a deal could not be reached.

Through the passage of time, many (including some media members) have assumed that the poison-pill is no longer a viable tool for use in offer sheets. The truth is that it remains on the books, and that the union is likely poised to pitch a fit if it's not used in any offer sheets signed by 2010 restricted free agents.

Teams vulnerable to a poison-pill attack include the Cowboys, who have tendered restricted free agent receiver Miles Austin at the highest possible level, requiring compensation in the amount of a first-round pick and a third-round pick if Dallas opts not to match. And owner Jerry Jones apparently is nervous about the possibility that someone will make Miles Austin an offer that the Cowboys can't match.

Link