Ken O'Brien

TaborJet

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just because..

9Uq0F2whpl4

Fantastic!!! That vid encapsulates my entire childhood. I became a Jets fan in 82 and watched Kenny O the whole time. I still hate the way we got rid of him.

Thanks for posting that. :thumbup:

He was sacked too many times and took too many hits.

Wow. 9 years in the league, 8 with Jets, only 3 of 9 seasons did he make all 16 starts. Definitely had a problem with injuries, but I have heard from many who saw him play that his biggest problem was a horrible Offensive Line.

Shame. Wish I had seen him play. If he didn't get so banged up so quickly that he retired so young, I would've.

kenny o was the best jets qb i ever got to see play.

I'm 28...

First Jets game I went to was the "Fake Spike" game back in '94...

As far as QB's I have seen with the Jets...

Vinny '98 Season, best I have seen...

Chad '02 Season...I will never forget that Playoff game against the Colts(i was there)...it was January, and 50 degrees out...Chad looked incredible...Best game ever for him...(had such high hopes)...it is sad to see what Chad amounted to...

I was so psyched about Chad in '02...WOW...

Since I never really got to see Ken O'Brien play, how was he in comparison to those two seasons...Stats dont always tell the story...

I'm 28...

Chad '02 Season...I will never forget that Playoff game against the Colts(i was there)...it was January, and 50 degrees out...Chad looked incredible...Best game ever for him...(had such high hopes)...it is sad to see what Chad amounted to...

Since I never really got to see Ken O'Brien play, how was he in comparison to those two seasons...Stats dont always tell the story...

testaverde had a very good season in '98. but, imo, kenny o was just a better qb. chad was a decent qb...no more no less.

I'm 28...

I thought Testaverde's 1998 season was the best season I saw from a Jets QB.

Either Ken O'Brien's 1985 season or Chad Pennington's 2002 season would be 2nd. I'd have to think about it further.

WHY OH WHYare those not the throwback jerseys? I would LOVE to see those jerseys on the field for two games a year. Every year. In perpetuity.

I almost feel like I'd take them as the regular jerseys just to see THAT jersey in a Super Bowl.

I'm old.

Because those uniforms are terrible. They are boring as hell and look like semi-pro uniforms.

Interesting thing about O'Brien, he was a great passer, but when the Jets drafted him Dan Marino was still on the Board... I hated the pick...He seemed to have his best games against the Dolphins. I was in college when the Jets played that overtime game in Miami. The defenses stayed home and let the QB's play catch...

At that time the Jets had a very bad o-line and K.O. took alot of punishment, which shortened his career. What I did not like is he was at best unceremoniously let go. If I remember correctly, the press conference where the Jets annouced the signing of Boomer Esiason, included him holding up a number 7 jersey. The only problem was K.O. was not released yet.

The other thing about that video, is how good was Wesley Walker. We have not had a receiver that can get behind the defense like that in a long time, hell since he was on the team with Toon. Maybe Rob Moore, but I think Walker was better. He was legally blind in one eye and could still catch.....

That was a great video...thanks for the memories.

Wow. 9 years in the league, 8 with Jets, only 3 of 9 seasons did he make all 16 starts. Definitely had a problem with injuries, but I have heard from many who saw him play that his biggest problem was a horrible Offensive Line.

Shame. Wish I had seen him play. If he didn't get so banged up so quickly that he retired so young, I would've.

It wasn't really the OL. Kenny had two things working against him. First, Joe Walton designed these intricate plays that took forever to develop and; second, he had a tendency to hold onto the ball too long trying to make a play with it. He put up gaudy passing numbers, and his completion percentage was always great. But that was part of the problem, as he held onto the ball too long and took a sack rather than throw the ball away.

I loved him though, and would kill for that kind of offense again. His duels with Marino were epic.

Yeah , those shootouts with Marino were awesome . His career was cut way too short because of the poundings he took . I think one season , if I remember correctly , he was sacked over 60 times . One particularly ugly hit he took , I think , came at the hands of LT . Maybe some of the more tech savvy guys can post a video of it here , since I am almost computer illiterate . By the end , he was so afraid of contact , I remember one play where he was scrambling for the goal line and knew a hit was coming , so rather than put his head down and barrell in ala Sanchez , he flinched and got stuffed . I think it was against Miami , but not 100% positive .

Interesting thing about O'Brien, he was a great passer, but when the Jets drafted him Dan Marino was still on the Board... I hated the pick...He seemed to have his best games against the Dolphins. I was in college when the Jets played that overtime game in Miami. The defenses stayed home and let the QB's play catch...

At that time the Jets had a very bad o-line and K.O. took alot of punishment, which shortened his career. What I did not like is he was at best unceremoniously let go. If I remember correctly, the press conference where the Jets annouced the signing of Boomer Esiason, included him holding up a number 7 jersey. The only problem was K.O. was not released yet.

The other thing about that video, is how good was Wesley Walker. We have not had a receiver that can get behind the defense like that in a long time, hell since he was on the team with Toon. Maybe Rob Moore, but I think Walker was better. He was legally blind in one eye and could still catch.....

That was a great video...thanks for the memories.

that overtime game was in the meadowlands! I was there!!

It wasn't really the OL. Kenny had two things working against him. First, Joe Walton designed these intricate plays that took forever to develop and; second, he had a tendency to hold onto the ball too long trying to make a play with it. He put up gaudy passing numbers, and his completion percentage was always great. But that was part of the problem, as he held onto the ball too long and took a sack rather than throw the ball away.

I loved him though, and would kill for that kind of offense again. His duels with Marino were epic.

you hit the donkey right in the nuts! that's what i remember, Kenny holding on to the ball way too long, 7 step drops.

then the strike season in 87 ruined it! we were definately going all the way that year, i remeber playing the Pats on monday night football and beating them lie 42-3. very powerful, but never regained it after the strike.

So, let me ask you all this, for those who were around for O'Brien's days:

What was bad about him? Why did he never become great?

horrible OL in front of him Joe-he was getting killed and so many big plays got called back for touchy-feely holding penalties back then

on edit: as so many others answered before I read the replies...

So, let me ask you all this, for those who were around for O'Brien's days:

What was bad about him? Why did he never become great?

He wasn't the most mobile guy and our O-line flat out sucked. O'Brien was sacked before the ball was fully in his hands, most of the time. It's hard to pass from flat on your back.

I have always believed that if the Jets had drafted Marino and Miami had drafted O'Brien, they would have had each other's careers.

He wasn't the most mobile guy and our O-line flat out sucked. O'Brien was sacked before the ball was fully in his hands, most of the time. It's hard to pass from flat on your back.

I have always believed that if the Jets had drafted Marino and Miami had drafted O'Brien, they would have had each other's careers.

damn, that's a very interesting theory Bob-I never thought about it that way-you are probably right. Marino had a killer OL and O'B played behind Swiss cheese

Archived