Wonderlic Test: Tebow & Clausen nearly scored in the teens.

dolphann4life

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/10/on-the-wonderlic-tebow-clausen-nearly-scored-in-the-teens/

On the Wonderlic, Tebow, Clausen nearly scored in the teens

Posted by Mike Florio on March 10, 2010 1:13 PM ET

The NFL has kept a fairly tight lid on Wonderlic scores since Vince Young managed a six (or, possibly, a seven) on the 50-question intelligence test four years ago.

Still, the numbers get out.

Edgar Thompson of the Palm Beach Post has tweeted some of the quarterback numbers from this year's Scouting Combine.

Florida quarterback Tim Tebow got only 22 of 50 questions correct. Notre Dame's Jimmy Clausen was only one answer better, with a 23.

Oklahoma's Sam Bradford aced the thing (relatively speaking), getting 36 out of 50 right.

We're not sure what the Wonderlic test means when it comes to football. But folks tend to put more stock into it as to the quarterback position, since they are the players most likely to be processing information and making good decisions under pressure.

Then again, Dan Marino got a 13.

And now I finally understand why he wore that number. If I had done better on the Wonderlic, I might have made the connection a bit sooner.

Permalink 4 Comments Latest stories in: Draft, Latest News and Rumors, NFL Mobile Exclusives - Rumors, Top Stories

Anybody who wasn't already aware that Tebow is a ****ing retard has never seen him interviewed. Dude makes Nuke LaLoosh sound like Pete Kendall.

Yea, and then there's that whole "I'm a star college QB and one of the 5 biggest names in sports right now, but I'm holding out for God to pick me out the right girl."

well they did choose to go to ND ;)

I was always under the impression that ND holds its athletes/football players to higher academic standards and therefore dont always get the blue chip players. I believe their graduation rate is very high compared to an Ohio State.

wonder what Sanchez scored.

Quarterbacks: With his pro day workout last week, Georgia's Matthew Stafford showed himself to be in a class by himself, and he also was in a class by himself among the top quarterbacks with regards to the Wonderlic. He scored 38. USC's Mark Sanchez scored 28 and Kansas State's Josh Freeman 27. All are acceptable scores for quarterbacks.

From Chicago Tribune

ND has a history of not producing as many NFL stars as would the great teams they have had in past indicate.

But that can sometimes mean they had outstanding coaching and team play that jelled at college level, but thier players werent NFL caliber.

They have had stars for sure, but not at % of other 'football factories'.

Penn State has had this rap, minus LBers, over the years as well. Maybe JoePa just was able to coach the 2/3 stars and they graduated and had nice business careers :D

Sometimes players on great teams get over-rated because they are with other great players on great teams. When they then get drafted high and fail, its defined a bust. Example, Gholston between the other 2 NFL quality LBers playing in NFL now while he was at OSU. Maybe he got 'over-rated' cause he had those 2 at his side?

Any score in the 20s is okay, its not a big deal. Scoring less than ten or over 40 is a big deal, but the stuff in the middle doesn't matter much. There have been studies which prove the average person fails to understand how average the average person is. Meaning people underestimate just how few people there are in this world who are above or below average at anything. Its like when Don Nelson went to Africa looking for a center and when he came back he said he was surprised at how few 7 foot tall people there are in Africa.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/10/on-the-wonderlic-tebow-clausen-nearly-scored-in-the-teens/

The NFL has kept a fairly tight lid on Wonderlic scores since Vince Young managed a six (or, possibly, a seven) on the 50-question intelligence test four years ago.

Edgar Thompson of the Palm Beach Post has tweeted some of the quarterback numbers from this year's Scouting Combine.

Florida quarterback Tim Tebow got only 22 of 50 questions correct. Notre Dame's Jimmy Clausen was only one answer better, with a 23.

Oklahoma's Sam Bradford aced the thing (relatively speaking), getting 36 out of 50 right.

We're not sure what the Wonderlic test means when it comes to football. But folks tend to put more stock into it as to the quarterback position, since they are the players most likely to be processing information and making good decisions under pressure.

And now I finally understand why he wore that number. If I had done better on the Wonderlic, I might have made the connection a bit sooner.

Permalink 4 Comments Latest stories in: Draft, Latest News and Rumors, NFL Mobile Exclusives - Rumors, Top Stories

Ben Roethlisberger got a 25 and he seems smart

I think wonderlic scores are much about nothing.

Ryan Fitzpatrick scored a 48 and completed the test in record time, but he will never be anything more than a clipboard holder as a player in the NFL. Vince Young supposedly scored 16 and hes really looking like a solid starting QB for Tenn.

Some players do not complete all the question withing the allotted time, but as an example complete 8 out of 12. Thats still a low score, but a very good completion % overall.

I think wonderlic scores are much about nothing.

Ryan Fitzpatrick scored a 48 and completed the test in record time, but he will never be anything more than a clipboard holder as a player in the NFL. Vince Young supposedly scored 16 and hes really looking like a solid starting QB for Tenn.

Some players do not complete all the question withing the allotted time, but as an example complete 8 out of 12. Thats still a low score, but a very good completion % overall.

They are not nothing. But they aren't everything either.

By itself the wonderlic score won't predict success or failure in the NFL. Just like your the time for the 40 yard dash is not the end all for WRs (ala Al Davis style) or doing a lot of bench presses means you will make a great LB (ala Vern Gholston). But a low wonderlic score could mean you will have more difficulty than most mastering a complex offensive or defensive scheme. It like any single measure you not be a reason to draft or not draft, but might be an indicator that further research in that players aptitude ought be explored.

And 8 out of 12 means you are as slow as ****.

That's all I need to know about the value of that test.

That's all I need to know about the value of that test.

No, that's all you care to know. There's a difference. The Wonderlic tests your ability to take the Wonderlic. Your ability to take the Wonderlic is a function of how much effort you put into preparing for it. Marino having a low Wonderlic score would indicate that he's good at what comes naturally to him but not at what he has to work at. Sounds about right to me.

They are not nothing. But they aren't everything either.

By itself the wonderlic score won't predict success or failure in the NFL. Just like your the time for the 40 yard dash is not the end all for WRs (ala Al Davis style) or doing a lot of bench presses means you will make a great LB (ala Vern Gholston). But a low wonderlic score could mean you will have more difficulty than most mastering a complex offensive or defensive scheme. It like any single measure you not be a reason to draft or not draft, but might be an indicator that further research in that players aptitude ought be explored.

And 8 out of 12 means you are as slow as ****.

It just seems like every pre draft, there are stories about a low wonderlic scores and 3 years later nobody remembers or cares because the same players are carving out nice NFL careers for themselves.

The Wonderlic is a logic test that requires the taker to figure out the answers to questions. The devout Christian mind doesn't operate that way. It doesn't figure things out, it just believes what it's told. I'm surprised he did as well as a 22.

Archived