Wonderlic Test: Tebow & Clausen nearly scored in the teens.

dolphann4life

The Wonderlic is a logic test that requires the taker to figure out the answers to questions. The devout Christian mind doesn't operate that way. It doesn't figure things out, it just believes what it's told. I'm surprised he did as well as a 22.

oh you mean how some people swallow global warming hook line and sinker? ;)

Here is a link to a sample wonderlic, it's not 'easy' but it's far from hard. I'm an average guy with a GED and I got them all right.

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/closer/020228test.html

the problem is the time more so than the difficulty. most people with some algebra and geometry under their belts could approach an 800 on the SAT math section with unlimited time. i think you have 12 minutes to answer all 50.

the problem is the time more so than the difficulty. most people with some algebra and geometry under their belts could approach an 800 on the SAT math section with unlimited time. i think you have 12 minutes to answer all 50.

So, I probably would have got around 40 at the rate I did them... My point is, I think in the 20's is an average score. You do have to be think quickly and be able to understand without reading to many times.

You have to be kidding. A test was done a few years back, in which people were given double (granted that isn't unlimited) time on the SATs and also tested with regular time. The median improvement was very small. The majority of people finish the SAT on time, fact is many SAT questions are very tricky, extra time won't fix that.

Not saying time is not a factor. It is. But it is only one factor and only for some people.

You have to be kidding. A test was done a few years back, in which people were given double (granted that isn't unlimited) time on the SATs and also tested with regular time. The median improvement was very small. The majority of people finish the SAT on time, fact is many SAT questions are very tricky, extra time won't fix that.

Not saying time is not a factor. It is. But it is only one factor and only for some people.

i would like to see that study. i would like to see if the group given the test had taken algebra and geometry which was a caveat of my original statement. not being sarcastic - genuinely interested so if you could find the link i would appreciate it.

i would like to see that study. i would like to see if the group given the test had taken algebra and geometry which was a caveat of my original statement. not being sarcastic - genuinely interested so if you could find the link i would appreciate it.

I read it in a magazine (paper, not online) and don't recall which one. It was given to a cross section of the SAT taking population (all juniors in high school who planned to attend college) and reflected both the math and verbal. While a few students take the SAT without taking those two subjects, it is pretty rare so I would assume most of these test takers did as well, but probably not 100%.

I was pretty decent in math and got a 640 on the math section. I probably could have improved that by a question or two if the test was untimed, cause there may have been errors due to rushing, but I never ran out of time. For the most part the questions I got wrong or could not answer, was because of lack of knowledge (or more accurately understanding the trick of the question) not time. But I am not quite the norm either. I am in fact a very fast test taker. Not super brilliant mind you, just fast. I get it right or I get wrong, but either way I am typically amoung one of the first ones done. I have been the first one done in my class on exam and gotten the highest grade and other occations been the first one done and flunked.

FWIW, I think time is a MUCH MUCH bigger factor on the Wonderlic than the SAT.

I read it in a magazine (paper, not online) and don't recall which one. It was given to a cross section of the SAT taking population (all juniors in high school who planned to attend college) and reflected both the math and verbal. While a few students take the SAT without taking those two subjects, it is pretty rare so I would assume most of these test takers did as well, but probably not 100%.

I was pretty decent in math and got a 640 on the math section. I probably could have improved that by a question or two if the test was untimed, cause there may have been errors due to rushing, but I never ran out of time. For the most part the questions I got wrong or could not answer, was because of lack of knowledge (or more accurately understanding the trick of the question) not time. But I am not quite the norm either. I am in fact a very fast test taker. Not super brilliant mind you, just fast. I get it right or I get wrong, but either way I am typically amoung one of the first ones done. I have been the first one done in my class on exam and gotten the highest grade and other occations been the first one done and flunked.

definitely no argument that the verbal score won't increase with more time. and it's been awhile since i took the SAT (where has the time gone?) and my post that one could "approach 800" on the math section was probably a little vague (after all increasing by one point is "approaching 800"). i took the test 5 times chasing the elusive perfect score but there were always a pesky 1 or 2 math questions that would trip me up and i always had plenty of time. i wasn't insinuating people could get them all correct with unlimited time but that they could do much better - obviously the lower you score timed the more room for improvement you have untimed...

well if you ever come across the study let me know.

definitely no argument that the verbal score won't increase with more time. and it's been awhile since i took the SAT (where has the time gone?) and my post that one could "approach 800" on the math section was probably a little vague (after all increasing by one point is "approaching 800"). i took the test 5 times chasing the elusive perfect score but there were always a pesky 1 or 2 math questions that would trip me up and i always had plenty of time. i wasn't insinuating people could get them all correct with unlimited time but that they could do much better - obviously the lower you score timed the more room for improvement you have untimed...

well if you ever come across the study let me know.

I actually think I would have done a better job on the verbal with more time, unlike the math. I never ran out of time on the verbal...but I think I could have improved on the reading comprehension section if I read it slower. I certainly had more room to improve on the verbal section.

I actually think I would have done a better job on the verbal with more time, unlike the math. I never ran out of time on the verbal...but I think I could have improved on the reading comprehension section if I read it slower. I certainly had more room to improve on the verbal section.

maybe so although with verbal in the analogies section you either know what a word means or you don't. i think they did away with that section a couple years ago? i doubt i could even fill in the bubbles on a scantron anymore.

let me also say that the SAT is bullsh*t. high school GPA accumulated over 4 years of performance is a much better predictor of college performance than what you do on a half day test IMHO.

Unless you're a C student with great SAT's than it's the other way around.

let me also say that the SAT is bullsh*t. high school GPA accumulated over 4 years of performance is a much better predictor of college performance than what you do on a half day test IMHO.

Eh. Maybe so, but only in comparing kids from the same school or school system. GPA may vary widely based on school or teacher philosphy while with the SAT everybody is taking the same test.

Unless you're a C student with great SAT's than it's the other way around.

well yes then for that person the SAT is a savior. :)

Eh. Maybe so, but only in comparing kids from the same school or school system. GPA may vary widely based on school or teacher philosphy while with the SAT everybody is taking the same test.

yes there are variances in schools and SAT is a good tool for putting GPA in context - so you can interpret the raw number, not discount it. for example high school's avg SAT scores are public record so an admissions officer can normalize that school's GPA, which i guess is what they are doing individually by assigning a weight to SAT v. GPA for candidates.

That is true.

However, the problem is normalization. What will earn you an "A" in one teachers class might only be a "D" in another. Particularly when comparing from one school system to another.

The SAT is one indicator of success in college. GPA is another. What high school you attended is yet another. Your state regents results (NY) is another as well. No one indicator is the begin all and end all.

Same deal with the NFL. The Wonderlic is one measure. How many times you bench press is another. For those of you are fans of the Miller's test....

Combine:SAT::College Football playing:high school GPA

That is true.

However, the problem is normalization. What will earn you an "A" in one teachers class might only be a "D" in another. Particularly when comparing from one school system to another.

The SAT is one indicator of success in college. GPA is another. What high school you attended is yet another. Your state regents results (NY) is another as well. No one indicator is the begin all and end all.

Same deal with the NFL. The Wonderlic is one measure. How many times you bench press is another. For those of you are fans of the Miller's test....

Combine:SAT::College Football playing:high school GPA

see my post immediately preceding your post. SAT is really a tool to better interpret a student's GPA

oh you mean how some people swallow global warming hook line and sinker? ;)

Everyone has their favorite conspiracy theories.

My thing with global warming is that even if it's 100% BS, it would be better for the good ol' US of A to behave as if it's serious business. Get off of foreign oil ASAP, and get out in front on all the alternative energies that WILL become the planet's mainstream energy sources as oil runs out.

Don't drill baby, drill me, either. Saving those reserves for a future crisis is much smarter than harvesting them now.

My thing with global warming is that even if it's 100% BS, it would be better for the good ol' US of A to behave as if it's serious business. Get off of foreign oil ASAP, and get out in front on all the alternative energies that WILL become the planet's mainstream energy sources as oil runs out.

Don't drill baby, drill me, either. Saving those reserves for a future crisis is much smarter than harvesting them now.

sounds reasonable. still disagree but is more reasonable than believing al gore yelling "OMFG SKY IS FALLING ICE CAPS IZ MELTING WE ARE DOOMED....." then going home on his private jet to his mansion and rolling around in all the $$ he makes from books, movies and honoraria.

the thing with the verbal is after 10th grade, you pretty much level off as per reading and language skills.

math wise you can improve sat more since you take extra maths every year in high school and the sat math has questions that might not be relevant until u have taken a certain math in 11th grade as example.

Part of me believes that the oil is going to run out at this pace and the increase in price is to have a three fold effect - (1) Consume less oil now. (2) Find and develop alternate energy sources. (3) Develop energy efficient vehicles.

But, I do believe that glaciers are melting and that the oceans will gradually rise.

Archived