1 member has voted

1. 1. Should we sign LT?

• Yes, he would fit in nicely as a complementary back
    • No, he's finished.
    • I don't care one way or the other.

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Extra point: So, yes, what are we missing here? Why Tomlinson instead of Thomas Jones?

Here's the football logic, as best as I can see.

In 2010, you have Shonn Greene covering most of what TJ did in 2009. He's expected to be the 1000+ yard guy.

Tomlinson is a better receiver than receiver than TJ, and a sure-handed, short yardage back. He can spell Greene on 3rd downs, and at the goal line.

Brad Smith can handle the wildcat better than Washington, and also handles KOR's. In fact, the Jets have a lot of players who can potentially handle KOR's.

IMHO, they're preparing for for Leon's departure.

dude, stick to soccer.

No running back is going to break 2 tackles in the backfield on every carry. He's not 2006 LT, no question, but he's as good if not better than Thomas Jones is right now, not to mention he can catch the ball out of the backfield and even now scores from the 1 yard line.

I agree.... TJ was a great back for us but how many more times can we watch him dance in the backfield and get tackled for a loss? LT still has good vision and can catch the ball out of the backfield. Sproles didn't have a great year last year either and maybe that points more to a bad offensive line than LT being out of gas. Anyone could run for 1000 yards behind our monster offensive line.

Clearly the Jets feel that they are upgrading for the same cost. Besides, moving Jones into a backup role on this team could cause complications in the lockerroom and furthermore, its entirely possible that the Jets were really left THAT unhappy with Jones' performance down the stretch that they lost all faith in him. Lets be honest, every one of Jones' backups had a higher per carry average than he did, so it says a lot more for the line than it does him.

I don't know if the Jets see it as an upgrade, or a lateral move.

I definitely think TJ has more left in the tank as a pure RB than LT. I just think they might see LT as a better fit. Confident in Shonn Greene as a two-down back, but maybe not confident in Leon as a 3rd down back. LT brings Leon's 3rd down skills and TJ's goal line skills. Nice compliment to Greene who can't catch, and still has some lingering fumble concerns.

TJ ran behind the Jets line.

LT ran behind SDs

Just saying....

I look at it this way.. If LT was DONE, SD would have benched him.

Jet fans seriously overrate the Jets' OL. It's a good unit, but it's not about to storm the beaches of Normandy unscathed. If Tomlinson signs with the Jets, I do not expect him to break 4 ypc. Not at all.

LT averaged 3.3 per carry last year. The Chargers averaged 3.3 on the ground as a team.

TJ averaged 4.2 per carry last year. The Jets average 4.5 on the ground as a team.

Think about it.

Yo Max... I am a bit disappointed that you don't have the inside track on how these talks are going. I thought with your credentials, you would be on top of this...and get your mind out of the gutter.;)

Watch him, seriously just watch the guy. Go to NFL.com and watch some of his "bigger" runs from last season, they were runs that were made from the OL and Tomlinson never once showed homerun hitting ability or the ability to consistently make people miss.

RB's are pretty easy to judge, yeah fair enough the Chargers OL wasn't good but when he did get into open space he couldn't do ****, he has absolutely nothing to offer except maybe a decent set of hands.

Would be an absolutely awful signing. With Jones gone I was looking forward to watching RB's play behind a great line, with the RB's actually having the ability to gain some individual yards. I guarantee you right now LT will not do that, not anymore. One step forward, two steps back.

LT averaged 3.3 per carry last year. The Chargers averaged 3.3 on the ground as a team.

TJ averaged 4.2 per carry last year. The Jets average 4.5 on the ground as a team.

Think about it.

In 2008, Chargers rushed for 4.1 ypc, LT averaged 3.8.

+1,000,000,000

soccer is for girls

In America, yes. But yeah, the most popular sport in the world is for girls. Sure.

Back on topic, yes injuries are a huge issue with LT, have been for two seasons. Then again they may just be an excuse for him having absolutely nothing left.

Does anyone know the history of all the injuries he has had through the years? I know he had a groin injury in January of '09...

If I remember correctly wasn't there a lingering toe issue last season? There was talk about him not having the ability to plant like his style depends on due to that injury.

Maybe if that heals, he ends up having more gas than people think.

If I remember correctly wasn't there a lingering toe issue last season? There was talk about him not having the ability to plant like his style depends on due to that injury.

Maybe if that heals, he ends up having more gas than people think.

Thanks Kyle...a serious answer.

I don't know if the Jets see it as an upgrade, or a lateral move.

I definitely think TJ has more left in the tank as a pure RB than LT. I just think they might see LT as a better fit. Confident in Shonn Greene as a two-down back, but maybe not confident in Leon as a 3rd down back. LT brings Leon's 3rd down skills and TJ's goal line skills. Nice compliment to Greene who can't catch, and still has some lingering fumble concerns.

Jet fans seriously overrate the Jets' OL. It's a good unit, but it's not about to storm the beaches of Normandy unscathed. If Tomlinson signs with the Jets, I do not expect him to break 4 ypc. Not at all.

The Jets run blocking is head and shoulders above the Chargers run blocking.

The Jets run blocking is head and shoulders above the Chargers run blocking.

Tomlinson's stats will improve with the Jets line, that's not what I'm questioning.

The fact of the matter is we have replaced a back who does nothing well with a back who is even worse. Tomlinson has no explosion at all, TJ at times last season at least looked to hit the hole hard on occasion.

This move will be good for LT, terrible for the Jets.

In 2008, Chargers rushed for 4.1 ypc, LT averaged 3.8.

You can't compare your feature back against the average for the whole team. Since LT does most of the rushing, it skews the average. The other runs are reverses/etc which tend to go for more yardage. Unfair comparison.

IN 2009, The Jets rushed for 4.5 a carry, Jones 4.2

In 2008, The Jets rushed for 4.7 a carry, Jones 4.5

In 2006, SD rushed for 4.9 a carry, LT 5.2

In 2007 (new coaching), SD 4.2, LT 4.7

In 2008, SD 4.1, LT 3.8

In 2009, SD 3.3, LT 3.3

What's that tell me? The new coaching staff didn't dedicate themselves to the run as much, and NOONE on SD could run this year, not just LT.

I agree.... TJ was a great back for us but how many more times can we watch him dance in the backfield and get tackled for a loss? ... Anyone could run for 1000 yards behind our monster offensive line.

Please. I'm so sick of hearing about our star-studded Pro Bowl O-line. How is an O-line measured statistically - by the running game? Maybe we had great RBs that squeezed thru cracks and made something out of nothing. Most of TJ's 2-yd runs were cases where he hit a wall of pack mules, and had nowhere to go. We also had the 31st ranked passing game. If that's not an equally legit measurement of an O-line's effectiveness, particularly our "monster" wall of overpaid hogs, then explain why our passing game was so poor.

We ranked 31st in passing because:

A) QB couldn't throw; weak arm; no accuracy

B) QB had poor vision; unable to find open receivers

C) QB stupid; made poor decisions; too many INTs

D) receivers sucked; couldn't catch; too many drops

E) receivers too slow; were never open

F) QB sacks

G) no time; poor protection; QB trying to avoid the pass rush; unable to focus downfield

H) our passing plays sucked by design; OC should be fired

I) all of the above is true

J) none of the above is true. The HC and OC decided to limit our passing game despite executing all things exceptionally well

Please. I'm so sick of hearing about our star-studded Pro Bowl O-line. How is an O-line measured statistically - by the running game? Maybe we had great RBs that squeezed thru cracks and made something out of nothing. Most of TJ's 2-yd runs were cases where he hit a wall of pack mules, and had nowhere to go. We also had the 31st ranked passing game. If that's not an equally legit measurement of an O-line's effectiveness, particularly our "monster" wall of overpaid hogs, then explain why our passing game was so poor.

We ranked 31st in passing because:

A) QB couldn't throw; weak arm; no accuracy

B) QB had poor vision; unable to find open receivers

C) QB stupid; made poor decisions; too many INTs

D) receivers sucked; couldn't catch; too many drops

E) receivers too slow; were never open

F) QB sacks

G) no time; poor protection; QB trying to avoid the pass rush; unable to focus downfield

H) our passing plays sucked by design; OC should be fired

I) all of the above is true

J) none of the above is true. The HC and OC decided to limit our passing game despite executing all things exceptionally well

We can debate until we're blue in the face how good our OL is, because I do agree we're overrated, but we're LIGHT YEARS ahead of San Diego in run blocking.

Tomlinson's stats will improve with the Jets line, that's not what I'm questioning.

The fact of the matter is we have replaced a back who does nothing well with a back who is even worse. Tomlinson has no explosion at all, TJ at times last season at least looked to hit the hole hard on occasion.

This move will be good for LT, terrible for the Jets.

How can it be terrible? Let's look at the best, most likely, and worst cases.

1) Best - LT, rejuvenated, behind an OL that can block (and a coaching staff that wants to run, unlike SD), rebounds to maybe 85% of 2006 form. He rushes for 1000, as the lightning in the thunder/lightning combo, or catches the ball a ton out of the backfield to make up for the rush ing yards, and he scores a bunch of TDs because he's solid around the goalline

2) Most likely - He gets about 100 carries, and averages around 4-4.2 per. He scores a bunch around the goal line (keep in mind LT's averages are low because they do not run much, and then they do pound it in near the goalline). LT catches some balls out of the backfield, and opens up that part of the offense a little

3) Worst - He's a bust, and truly was done. We use him sparingly by md season

Even if #3 happens, who cares? So Leon Washington takes those carries. No cap, so we just cut him.

How can it be terrible? Let's look at the best, most likely, and worst cases.

1) Best - LT, rejuvenated, behind an OL that can block (and a coaching staff that wants to run, unlike SD), rebounds to maybe 85% of 2006 form. He rushes for 1000, as the lightning in the thunder/lightning combo, or catches the ball a ton out of the backfield to make up for the rush ing yards, and he scores a bunch of TDs because he's solid around the goalline

2) Most likely - He gets about 100 carries, and averages around 4-4.2 per. He scores a bunch around the goal line (keep in mind LT's averages are low because they do not run much, and then they do pound it in near the goalline). LT catches some balls out of the backfield, and opens up that part of the offense a little

3) Worst - He's a bust, and truly was done. We use him sparingly by md season

Even if #3 happens, who cares? So Leon Washington takes those carries. No cap, so we just cut him.

I have a bad feeling this move has something to do with Leon's status with this team.

You can't compare your feature back against the average for the whole team. Since LT does most of the rushing, it skews the average. The other runs are reverses/etc which tend to go for more yardage. Unfair comparison.

IN 2009, The Jets rushed for 4.5 a carry, Jones 4.2

In 2008, The Jets rushed for 4.7 a carry, Jones 4.5

In 2006, SD rushed for 4.9 a carry, LT 5.2

In 2007 (new coaching), SD 4.2, LT 4.7

In 2008, SD 4.1, LT 3.8

In 2009, SD 3.3, LT 3.3

What's that tell me? The new coaching staff didn't dedicate themselves to the run as much, and NOONE on SD could run this year, not just LT.

Tells me that LT is in serious decline as a rusher, and I really hope the Jets aren't pursuing him in hopes of having him carry the ball in excess of 100x a year. Bringing him in as a 3rd down/goal line guy. Fine. I'd want a 3rd guy who could step in as a spot starter is Greene loses any time, though.

I definitely think they're greasing the skids for Leon's departure.

I have a bad feeling this move has something to do with Leon's status with this team.

Agree it seems they want draft picks in hopes of landing players like Greene and Keller. Or who knows maybe they need the picks to work a trade to move up in the first round. Time will tell.

But a necessity for the Jets with no TJ, possibly no Leon, an injury prone Greene, and an unknown Chauncy Washington.

What better candidate is out there to cover TJ's role?

The only thing LT does that TJ does is carry the ball at the goal line, and in all fairness probably does it better than TJ. But he's really much, much more of a replacement for Leon on 3rd downs.

I hope they like Chauncey as a potential spot starter, or find another guy they do like there between now and the season opener.

I really dont understand why this is a big deal. We're not getting the 2004 LT, we're getting a player that should be turned into dog food. A guy who I hope his big name status doesn't mean he'll start over Greene on name alone.

I'm pretty certain that if the line stays healthy, he'll have a good year. But i think you could say that about most RB's, including Thomas Jones and i don't like him at all either..

Archived