1 member has voted

1. 1. Should we sign LT?

• Yes, he would fit in nicely as a complementary back
    • No, he's finished.
    • I don't care one way or the other.

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jones showed he was close to finished coming down the end of the season, but this discussion has absolutely nothing to do with Jones... This is about LT only.

Dude, Thomas Jones had a freaking knee injury coming down the stretch.

and he looked done. LT was injured too but that doesn't stop you from saying he was done.

Simply put... was he on the field? If so, then I could care less. If he's injured enough to cause THAT Performance, then he needed to be off the field. Sometimes it takes a tougher guy to say they can't go than it does to go, and hurt the team (see 2008 brett favre hurting the team)

and he looked done. LT was injured too but that doesn't stop you from saying he was done.

Simply put... was he on the field? If so, then I could care less.

LT looked done last season without a damn knee injury, smh.

Stop acting star struck dude. Thomas Jones is way better than LT at this point.

But this thread has absolutely 0 to do with Thomas Jones. Should we sign LT, yes or no. We know your opinion, but regardless of whether we sign LT, we're not going to have Thomas Jones this year so who gives a flying .... about Thomas Jones.

I voted yes, merely for the fact that we need depth at RB because Greene got banged up this year. My fear with Greene is that we'll have to draft a RB 2nd or 3rd in the near future because of his running style.

LT has a little left in his tank, and behind our line he could put up nice numbers.

The rumor is that LT has two more teams to visit. The New Orleans Saints may be one of them, since he seems to be favoring teams where he could potentially get a SB ring.

With some uncertainty about Leon Washington, the Jets appear to have made an extra push... just as the Minnesota Vikings did as they lost Chester Taylor. LT will obviously be playing somewhere next fall; it all depends on what his role would be (3rd down back, short yardage guy, spelling the starter [shonn Greene here]), and of course $$$ would come into play.

Getting rid of TJ probably means more emphasis on the passing game this season. And hopefully Brian Schottenheimer will have more toys in term of WRs to play with this season. LT could fit in nicely as a receiver out of the back field.

No, finished. Jones >>>> LT

Jones showed he was close to finished coming down the end of the season, but this discussion has absolutely nothing to do with Jones... This is about LT only.

Simply put... was he on the field? If so, then I could care less. If he's injured enough to cause THAT Performance, then he needed to be off the field. Sometimes it takes a tougher guy to say they can't go than it does to go, and hurt the team (see 2008 brett favre hurting the team)

Take Thomas Jones out of the conversation like it or not he is now under contract with the KC Chiefs. When deciding whether you like LT or not you should never even breathe TJ's name he is gone say you don't like LT I would rather have this guy (Willie Parker, Justin Fargas, ect...) ie someone who is not under contract and is not a UFA who is available to be signed by the Jets thanx.

Take Thomas Jones out of the conversation like it or not he is now under contract with the KC Chiefs. When deciding whether you like LT or not you should never even breathe TJ's name he is gone say you don't like LT I would rather have this guy (Willie Parker, Justin Fargas, ect...)

it's a simple comparison. :D

We got rid of Thomas Jones and are courting a washed up RB.

Yeah cut a 1400 yd RB for a 700 yd one, makes a ton of sense.

Water under the bridge now as you said.

it's a simple comparison. :D

We got rid of Thomas Jones and are courting a washed up RB.

Yeah cut a 1400 yd RB for a 700 yd one, makes a ton of sense.

Water under the bridge now as you said.

You make yourself look like a fool when you use stats and stats alone to analyze anything. If you want to use stats, against STARTERS, not backups, TJ averaged < 3.0 per carry in his last 6 games (3 playoffs, 2 regular season, and he was below against the Colts too until they benched everyone).

im not crazy about signing LT but im also aware that he offers a skill set that is the most versatile of the 3 RBs we would use (LT,Greene,Washington). I think that the front office viewed T.Jones as a solid, durable RB, but more or less saw him as an older, slower version of Greene that would likely only get carries in the even t that Greene got injured(which is a distinct possibility). LTs skill set is that he can still run between the tackles pretty well, still has some decent burst, and is still a very good reciever out of the backfield. If either Washington or Greene get injured he would make for a good insurance policy because of the versatility in his game. I think they see LT as a pretty good insurance policy for both RBs instead of just Greene.

It's not just about LT's performance, it's about his attitude. I can still see LT sitting on the sidelines with his visor down sulking because he couldn't go a few years ago with the Chargers. I don't want him anywhere near Greene. I think Tanny dropped the ball on TJ.

The fact that a subJag like Thomas Jones had any success facing defenses that barely concerned themselves with our passing game should tell you all you need to know. Greene's explosion at the end of the year should cement it.

True. It means opponents game planned around TJ, not our rookie RB. What's your point again?

In 4 games in which he got more then 15 carries, (including 2 road playoff games) he totaled 502 yards, 4 TD's on 79 carries. That projects to 2008 yards, 16 TDs on 316 carries, 6.4 YPC over a 16 game season

You conveniently take his 4 best games and use them to predict a complete season? Sure, in that case, you forgot to account for his injury rate, which is 1 every 54 carries. And because he missed the first 3 games injured, what about the other 9 remaining games in which he played but posted sucky numbers? Greene hasn't proven anything yet. Next season will be more telling.

Oh, and our passing game stunk cause our rookie qb did.. it's not much more complicated then that.

Despite a few minor rookie related snags, G for the most part caused B, C, and F.

You make yourself look like a fool when you use stats and stats alone to analyze anything. If you want to use stats, against STARTERS, not backups, TJ averaged < 3.0 per carry in his last 6 games (3 playoffs, 2 regular season, and he was below against the Colts too until they benched everyone).

Yeah stats don't mean sh!t. Yet you're using TJ stats when he HAD A FREAKING KNEE INJURY. Just stop typing, smh.

Where do you stand on the LT potential signing? It's an uncapped year, so I don't care about coin. If he's not working out, cut him in 2010, and no cap hit.

I say sign him. Most believe that he's finished and with good reason I'd suppose. My thing is this, we have the best offensive line in the league when it comes to the run, something that Tomlinson NEVER had. I think that Tomlinson could really take advantage and up that 3.3 YPC average this year with this line. More importantly, Shonn Greene would be able to learn from the 2 of the best running backs from this past decade in Thomas and now Tomlinson. It'll work out for our future as well.

Outside of that, Tomlinson is still a tremendous blocker and can still catch the ball in the backfield. He was also a leader at San Diego and I believe that will help the transition as well with Cromartie. With Cro coming to a new team but having a familiar friend and leader accompany him I believe could also help on the defensive side of things as well.

I say lets see what Tomlinson can do with the best line in football. Its not like if it doesnt work out we dont have Greene and Wasthington. We did it with two backs last year. I see nothing but positives with this.

I don't understand what will be LT's role if he does good to New Orleans. I think he'll be very limited if he does. Reggie Bush is pretty much the 3rd round back and NO will not limit his playing time because of his contrct. They also have Thomas and Bell.

I think the best option is New York for sure. Sign with us, baby!

There's very little downside to this in an uncapped year, so I think we should sign him if we can.

He provides some depth and a little bit more versatility, He's a good receiver out of the backfield, he can block, and I still think he can be productive sharing carries behind a good offensive line. He's obviously not the old LT, but I still think there's some tread left on the tires.

And we can still draft a RB ... some good ones in this draft, even beyond the 1st or 2nd rounds.

I'm all for it.

True. It means opponents game planned around TJ, not our rookie RB. What's your point again?

That we have a very good RB'ing line, in response to you being sick of hearing about how good our oline is.

You conveniently take his 4 best games and use them to predict a complete season? Sure, in that case, you forgot to account for his injury rate, which is 1 every 54 carries. And because he missed the first 3 games injured, what about the other 9 remaining games in which he played but posted sucky numbers? Greene hasn't proven anything yet. Next season will be more telling.

I conveniently used the 4 games in which he got a starters amount of carries. And again, my point had less to do with Shonn Green then what we were talking about, that any RB can and will be succesful as long as this line stays in tact. The final sentance in the paragraph you picked the quote from should've clued you in to the point I was making.

Despite a few minor rookie related snags, G for the most part caused B, C, and F.

Yes you're right. The Oline caused Sanche to stinko. lol

I don't understand what will be LT's role if he does good to New Orleans. I think he'll be very limited if he does. Reggie Bush is pretty much the 3rd round back and NO will not limit his playing time because of his contrct. They also have Thomas and Bell.

He might not be concerned about playing time as much as the ring. Also signing one player frees up the team to trade another. So the Saints might sign him with the idea of trading another player.

Yeah stats don't mean sh!t. Yet you're using TJ stats when he HAD A FREAKING KNEE INJURY. Just stop typing, smh.

what the hell does smh mean that you keep ending every thing with.

NO, I'm no using stats. As usual, you're wrong, just like in every game thread when you seem to be watching a completely different game than the rest of us.

So are you really trying to argue that in the playoffs when TJ had been averaging under 3 YPC for weeks and Greene was leading all playoff RBs in yardage that teams were game-planning against Jones and not Greene? Surely you must be kidding. CTM was looking at the 4 games in which he had a significant number of carries not just cherry-picking his best games. I would LOVE to see ANY sort of evidence on how the other 9 games he posted "sucky numbers", unless you're blaming Greene for the fact that he wasn't given as many carries. You can only judge him by the opportunities he was given and even when getting less carries, he still did more with them than Jones did. Actually, Jones had the lowest YPC of any RB on the team.

As far as the OL is concerned, let's not be asinine here, I'm a huge Sanchez fan and despite his mid-season struggles never turned against him, but to try to blame the offensive line for his problems is absolutely absurd. The guy is a rookie QB, he was going to have some bad games. After teams got some tape on him, his play dipped. Combine that with his Cotchery getting hurt and Stuckey getting traded away, Sanchez had to suddenly adjust to a newly-acquired Edwards and a bunch of complete nobodies after him at WR. Its no surprise that once he got more experience under his belt, Cotchery was healthy, Sanchez got comfortable with Edwards and Keller stepped up his game that Sanchez was lighting it up down the stretch. The protection didn't change at all, because in both the running and passing game, they were phenomenal all season long. Besides, I'm not sure how criticizing the offensive line helps your argument, as whether they played well or poorly, Greene still out-performed Jones down the stretch with the same OL. Obviously you're a huge fan of Jones, and that's fine, but I'm not sure what the point is of irrationally trying to fabricate reasons to criticize the offensive line and Greene.

More unpredictable sure, but better? C'mon. You saw the playoffs. The Jets were better with Greene than they were with Leon and that was before Leon broke his leg.

You read me wrong. The Jets with Greene are very good.

My point is that LT adds another dynamic BETTER than Jones.

This was about LT vs. TJ. NOT, LT vs. Greene.

Greene is the Jets unquestioned No. 1 RB.

My point is that the Jets offense is better and more unpredictable with LT rather than Jones.

Possibly.

The thing that makes me most nervous is that if we sign LT then we have 3 RB's susceptible to injury.

Really wish we'd just go for a bruiser short yardage back, Greene has shown he has break away speed. Even if Leon losses a step, I'm still confident he'll have that speed. So all we are missing really is a short yardage bruiser who you can depend on carrying the load some games if Leon or Greene is out. LT is not that.

Maybe Tanny just wants as much flexibility in the draft as possible. Thats the only reason I can think of wanting to sign LT because from what I see, he might have lost it and he always disappears late in the season.

Greene/LT/Leon. That's what I'm talking about.

That's a pretty damn good trio there. LT gives the Jets more offensive options than TJ. Thus, the Jets are better with LT rather than Jones.

Heck, I'm in favor of drafting a RB in the 5th-6th round. More RBs the better.

LTjersey-thumb-250x250-7164.jpg

From time to time, the folks responsible for selling NFL-related apparel put the cart ahead of the horse.

Or maybe they know more than the rest of us.

Either way, NFLShop.com currently is selling Vikings' jerseys bearing LaDainian Tomlinson's last name on the back. (And, no, he wouldn't be wearing "0" in Minnesota; his number would be determined later -- most likely after Asher Allen gives up No. 21.)

No similar product is being offered in Jets colors.

It most likely means nothing. But it gives us something to write about while we wait for Tomlinson to decide his next move.

(And thanks to the reader who pointed this out to us.)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/13/for-sale-at-nflshopcom-tomlinsons-vikings-jersey/

what the hell does smh mean that you keep ending every thing with.

NO, I'm no using stats. As usual, you're wrong, just like in every game thread when you seem to be watching a completely different game than the rest of us.

yeah because you know everything about everything and the rest of us are idiots.

Not everyone is going to share your opinion dbag.

our WRs aren't exactly blowing the world away either. crotch is steady but unexplosive and braybray's problems holding on to the ball are well documented.

BS.

That was all Sanchez. The Jets WR were good enough to be at least middle of the pack in passing in the NFL.

The Jets were 31st because of Sanchez.

I voted Yes.

LT's catching ability makes the offense unpredictable and better than if Jones was here. Jones was basically an older, worse version of Greene. The Jets would have a more dynamic offense with Greene/LT/Leon than if TJ was here.

That we have a very good RB'ing line, in response to you being sick of hearing about how good our oline is.

My point is TJ deserves more credit, not the O-line. Thought that was obvious...

I conveniently used the 4 games in which he got a starters amount of carries. And again, my point had less to do with Shonn Green then what we were talking about, that any RB can and will be succesful as long as this line stays in tact. The final sentance in the paragraph you picked the quote from should've clued you in to the point I was making.

Again, got your so-called "point." I edited that part out because it wasn't valid.

Yes you're right. The Oline caused Sanche to stinko. lol

Don't bother looking into why he had troubles. That would make too much sense. And "troubles" is putting it mildly; we were 31st in the league. I boldfaced "31st" for a reason, because a QB can't achieve that by himself. Guess you missed that.

Archived