**Official Ladainian Tomlinson Thread** [Merged]

dolphann4life

Should we sign LT?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Should we sign LT?

• Yes, he would fit in nicely as a complementary back
    • No, he's finished.
    • I don't care one way or the other.

It does make sense for the reasons stated about.

If gives the Jets more options at RB and makes them less predictable in the running game. Jones simply did what Greene does, but worse. LT gives the Jets more options and teamed with Greene and LT would help the Jets have a dynamic backfield.

LT is a back up and he'll be better for the Jets than TJ because of his different skillset compared to Jones.

No it doesnt. LT is washed up. He's a premadonna and he's been banged up for a long time. You dont sign a RB because he can catch out of the backfield in this offense. First off, B Schott never does it. San Diego's offense is much different.

The last thing we need is to sign a back up RB who has an injury history and is quite possibly and most likely washed up. RB's are a dime a dozen. We need a RB that can be reliable if Leon or Greene are not 100%. LT is not that, he's just as big of a question mark.

And stop with this unpredictable stuff. The Jets are and will always be a predictable offense with B. Schott, personnel has nothing to do with it. Also, once teams see that LT is washed up, how does his "versatility" benefit the Jets. He's done, his attitude sucks and he's a ghost in the playoffs. We need youth and power at that position. Not old and finesse.

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, that would be the # 4 RB.

This would likely be our depth chart at RB if we don't end up with LT:

1) Greene

2) Leon

3) Chauncey Washington

4) late draft pick / UDFA

great minds think alike..HA!

you posted one minute before mine :D

No it doesnt. LT is washed up. He's a premadonna and he's been banged up for a long time. You dont sign a RB because he can catch out of the backfield in this offense. First off, B Schott never does it. San Diego's offense is much different.

SD's offense changed when Norv Turner became HC. LT was a pass catching threat under Big Schott. Schitty uses pass catching RBs, he just didn't have one when Leon got hurt. TJ sucks on screens and Greene can't catch.

Every RB now available to the Jets is a question mark unless you want to give big money to Pierre Thomas (and give up a 2nd rounder).

The Jets can still (and IMO will) draft a RB this year. Signing LT assures that IMO.

Damn. I was trying to be an optimist with Schitty.

He's a Backup.

The Jets have that in Shonn Greene

LT IS A BACKUP

SD's offense changed when Norv Turner became HC. LT was a pass catching threat under Big Schott. Schitty uses pass catching RBs, he just didn't have one when Leon got hurt. TJ sucks on screens and Greene can't catch.

Every RB now available to the Jets is a question mark unless you want to give big money to Pierre Thomas (and give up a 2nd rounder).

The Jets can still (and IMO will) draft a RB this year. Signing LT assures that IMO.

Damn. I was trying to be an optimist with Schitty.

He's a Backup.

The Jets have that in Shonn Greene

LT IS A BACKUP

I understand he is a back up, but we have 2 question marks in Greene and Leon health wise. LT might be asked to be more than a back up. And he's not capable of that anymore IMO. And the fact he has health issues as well, doesnt make sense.

"Back up" RB's are a dime a dozen. Why sign a premadonna baby that has become useless to be your back up. With the uncertainty of Leon and Greene's health issues coupleed with our recent moves, I'd like to see a long term solution. A young bruiser that you can rely on to carry the load if our other options are hurt, which is very likely.

Maybe if you didn't spend your entire life cruising messageboards and trying to convince yourself that you're smart, you wouldn't have responded to such a "brainless argument" yourself, would you, Mr. Pseudointellectual?

dumb parading around as smart is amusing

I can see it now, if we sign LT, and he has a big game in week 3..

"I'm so glad we signed LT, I wanted him all along."

Dude are we allowed to have our own opinions or feelings about the issue or should we all join you in the LT circle jerk fan club?

You attack anyone who gives a contrarian point of view to yours.

BTW, I liked the role Greene had last season, where he could come in and just dominate tired defenders. I have a feeling if LT is brought in then he will be given the Thomas Jones role, because I know how much Rex liked Greene in that late bruiser role too.

People are saying that LT will be a 3rd down back here. Really? He did everything but that with San Diego in the last two season, I'm not sure he'll be brought in now just to do that when it's something he hasn't done in a while.

Honestly, I don't see any need for him at all. I'd much rather we pick up another back who mybe has something left in the tank or else simply draft another. RB's tend to be the easiest position to judge simply because all they do is run. It shouldn't be too hard to pick up another capable back who might acually be able to contribute rather than just take advantage of good circumstances.

Wrong. I agree, and that was gonna be my next point.

Being a rookie, Sanchez needed the O-line to OVERcompensate, give him a reliable pocket, extra time to work. Not a "pocket" that consistently collapsed around him like a phone booth door. After all, he is no Favre, Manning, Brady, or Brees. But even they get better protection. The kid was running for his life every friggin' week. If you recorded the games, go back and watch them. Wasn't until Cinci II did he receive solid protection where our O-line was pushing the pocket out, like better teams do, like for those QBs you mentioned.

So the Oline wasn't very adept at run blocking or pass blocking. Can you rate each member of the unit please, on a scale of 1-10?

And I'm hoping you rate brick as average, if only because then the Brick fanboys will deal with you..

Dude are we allowed to have our own opinions or feelings about the issue or should we all join you in the LT circle jerk fan club?

To be fair, I don't think he's ever tried to hide the fact that he is an *******.

FlipFlopperJet is allowed to not want LT.. no issues there. He is one of the few who didn't compare to TJ thank goodness.

The point is his opinion changes like the wind.

I think statistically Sanchez was the least hit QB in the entire league. If he was doing that with the pocket constantly collapsing, that bodes even better for the young man and this franchise.

I don't think the protection was bad though. I don't think it was the greatest either most of the season, even though statistically it would seem to lend itself to being that. I thought the terrible playcalling is what did Sanchez in most of the year.

But O-lines generally take about 2 years to gel anyway. Guess what, it was about 2 years towards the end of last season. Rookie QBs generally take about 3 years to truly develop, but at least need that one rookie year where they aren't good as well. Sanchez seemed to combine both the rookie and sophomore years in one year imo, and plus went and performed better in the playoffs quicker than some QBs have their entire careers (Flacco still hasn't shown up, Peyton took years upon years, etc.).

People are attacking our O-line? Seriously?

It's the best unit in the league by some distance.

It's right up there, I can't argue.. I'm not sure if it's the best, but I am not saying that because I think someone is better...

Wrong. I agree, and that was gonna be my next point.

Being a rookie, Sanchez needed the O-line to OVERcompensate, give him a reliable pocket, extra time to work. Not a "pocket" that consistently collapsed around him like a phone booth door. After all, he is no Favre, Manning, Brady, or Brees. But even they get better protection. The kid was running for his life every friggin' week. If you recorded the games, go back and watch them. Wasn't until Cinci II did he receive solid protection where our O-line was pushing the pocket out, like better teams do, like for those QBs you mentioned.

Newbie, our O-line is the best in the business. We werent the top rushing team in the NFL for nothing. :rolleyes:

BTW, Sanchez's pocket presence was pretty dire at the start of the season, it gradually improved and was pretty good by the time the playoffs came around. Still at the start of the season he moved laterally and even backwards when he could often just step up. A lot of his hits came through his own mistakes.

BTW, I liked the role Greene had last season, where he could come in and just dominate tired defenders. I have a feeling if LT is brought in then he will be given the Thomas Jones role, because I know how much Rex liked Greene in that late bruiser role too.

People are saying that LT will be a 3rd down back here. Really? He did everything but that with San Diego in the last two season, I'm not sure he'll be brought in now just to do that when it's something he hasn't done in a while.

Honestly, I don't see any need for him at all. I'd much rather we pick up another back who mybe has something left in the tank or else simply draft another. RB's tend to be the easiest position to judge simply because all they do is run. It shouldn't be too hard to pick up another capable back who might acually be able to contribute rather than just take advantage of good circumstances.

I think the LT signing would be great for the Jets. He's a pretty good blocker and is also great at catching passes. Before Gates got to SD he was actually their entire offense, including catching passes. He's actually not the primadonna some are accusing him of here, the man certainly does have the pride of a serious competitor, but he's actually a very humble person. He's got good leadership skills similar to TJ imo, except I think LT is more selfless so it's actually better.

Last year he clearly had a reduced role to Sproles. He didn't hold out or cause a distraction, he had faith in his own skills, which you need, but he was also a team player, which is actually pretty rare when a star is getting a diminished role. For comparison's sake, look at Pennington in the same situation.

I honestly think LT could fill a very Corey Dillon like role for the Jets, and of course Dillon won a Super Bowl for the Pats. LT can contribute in the same way.

I also think Greene NEEDS another back, and LTs a great guy to have to come in and really be the steady hand. Greene reminds me a lot of Marion Barber where he's a hard, tough runner that takes over games but will get injuries and can't be overexposed. The Cowboys got away with Julius Jones and Barber for a number of years, and now have 3 backs they kind of rotate around with all of them being pretty damn fragile lol.

I really think LT is going to surprise a lot of people this year, especially if he is running behind this line.

It's funny to me how people were arguing at the end of last season that Greene couldn't start because he would just fumble the ball or not be effective until later on, and acted as if TJ was this great back that softened defenses. Now everyone is acting like Greene is this surefire starter and you can't have anybody else with more exp on the team.

First off, in the NFL now you don't just use one back. Even for AP, they had Chester Taylor and he played a very big role too. LT might very well be the last great mostly single back, and even in his best years he had Michael freaking Turner as his backup taking some carries from him. The two SB teams last year didn't even really try running, and when they did they usually were schizophrenic in who would carry the ball. The Colts went with the vet though when it mattered.

I can't really think of anybody else that is available that would give you the instant experience and leadership ability combined with the sky high potential as LT. The risk is also so very low, it's an uncapped year and LT probably isn't even looking for much. Why pass this up?

For once, the Jets franchise is in the position of getting the superstar vet that wants a ring wanting to come here for a huge discount. Why not take advantage of that? Usually we have to overpay old talent and feature them, this time we have the absolute best position of paying almost nothing and getting a HoFer in a complementary role and if he does go off, to get that benefit.

I think the LT signing would be great for the Jets. He's a pretty good blocker and is also great at catching passes. Before Gates got to SD he was actually their entire offense, including catching passes. He's actually not the primadonna some are accusing him of here, the man certainly does have the pride of a serious competitor, but he's actually a very humble person. He's got good leadership skills similar to TJ imo, except I think LT is more selfless so it's actually better.

Last year he clearly had a reduced role to Sproles. He didn't hold out or cause a distraction, he had faith in his own skills, which you need, but he was also a team player, which is actually pretty rare when a star is getting a diminished role. For comparison's sake, look at Pennington in the same situation.

I honestly think LT could fill a very Corey Dillon like role for the Jets, and of course Dillon won a Super Bowl for the Pats. LT can contribute in the same way.

I also think Greene NEEDS another back, and LTs a great guy to have to come in and really be the steady hand. Greene reminds me a lot of Marion Barber where he's a hard, tough runner that takes over games but will get injuries and can't be overexposed. The Cowboys got away with Julius Jones and Barber for a number of years, and now have 3 backs they kind of rotate around with all of them being pretty damn fragile lol.

I really think LT is going to surprise a lot of people this year, especially if he is running behind this line.

It's funny to me how people were arguing at the end of last season that Greene couldn't start because he would just fumble the ball or not be effective until later on, and acted as if TJ was this great back that softened defenses. Now everyone is acting like Greene is this surefire starter and you can't have anybody else with more exp on the team.

First off, in the NFL now you don't just use one back. Even for AP, they had Chester Taylor and he played a very big role too. LT might very well be the last great mostly single back, and even in his best years he had Michael freaking Turner as his backup taking some carries from him. The two SB teams last year didn't even really try running, and when they did they usually were schizophrenic in who would carry the ball. The Colts went with the vet though when it mattered.

I can't really think of anybody else that is available that would give you the instant experience and leadership ability combined with the sky high potential as LT. The risk is also so very low, it's an uncapped year and LT probably isn't even looking for much. Why pass this up?

For once, the Jets franchise is in the position of getting the superstar vet that wants a ring wanting to come here for a huge discount. Why not take advantage of that? Usually we have to overpay old talent and feature them, this time we have the absolute best position of paying almost nothing and getting a HoFer in a complementary role and if he does go off, to get that benefit.

I agree with everything you say about what we need, but completely disagree with your opinion on what Tomlinson did now. I don't consider him a primadonna, in fact I consider him one of the best RB's to ever play the game. I'm not questioning his work ethic or his attitude, rather I'm questioning his legs, which I'm convinced are gone.

It's almost been painful watching him over the last two years. When he does get into the open field, which in itself is rare, it becomes even more obvious that he has nothing left. The moves that once made him untouchable are gone, what made Tomlinson the HOF back he is, has gone. To me this "sky high potential" you talk about simply isn't there. No more than it was for Thomas Jones, and you know I wasn't a fan of him either.

Now I agree that we need another back, but I disagree that it needs to be a reliable vet, or anything like that. At the end of the day, young RB's are hot property in the leage and if you have some good ones behind a great line, then you're going to have a great running game. The draft is the place to get backs, it's never a lock that you'll get a good one but it's a much safer position to draft than most. Look for another Greene/Leon and add him to what's already a decent stable of backs.

I am of the mindset it is best to draft RBs. (As opposed to say WR, where I think it is smart to trade or go for FA) Runningback is a position that is not particularly hard position to learn and often a guys best years are his first 3 or 4. And then he starts to decline due to injuries and being banged up. This tends to be the case with RB more than any other position. LT is gonna want money based on what (and get from some team) he has done in the past, not what he is capiable of doing now (which is less)

Great post, it's also not a hard position to recognize talent.

Archived