**Official Ladainian Tomlinson Thread** [Merged]

dolphann4life

Should we sign LT?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Should we sign LT?

• Yes, he would fit in nicely as a complementary back
    • No, he's finished.
    • I don't care one way or the other.

Anyone who hates this move will never be happy.

Bottom line this makes the Jets a better team in 2010 than they were in 2009. Period.

LT behind this line? Can't wait. Will he be the LT of 2006? No. But he will average over 4ypc, easily, and be the best RB out of the backfield for this organization since FB Richie Anderson.

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Im not a huge Jones fan, but he was much better than LT was last season regardless of line play.

He did have some big runs and was excellent at the goal line. At this point of their careers, Jones runs harder and is the better back imo.

The Jets should have just drafted a running back, now they have to give out legacy carries to a washed up LT. I hope he proves me wrong, but there is nothing worse than forcing carries to a guy that just doesnt have it.

this is just so untrue...look at the 2009 highlights i showed. Tj goes down before scoring in most of those situations. LT is still faster than Tj and he's still more leusive and he's amuch better receiver. you'll be eating these words come mid point next year, imo

this is just so untrue...look at the 2009 highlights i showed. Tj goes down before scoring in most of those situations. LT is still faster than Tj and he's still more leusive and he's amuch better receiver. you'll be eating these words come mid point next year, imo

Big runs against the Texans, Bills...14 touchdowns. Jones is average and could be finished but at the same time...

LT was terrible last year...

Can you guys say screen pass? That's something the Jets pretty much never do. At this point, I think we HAVE to do it.

This.

Week after week, myself and all the anti-Schotty fans wondered why the heck there was no screen pass in our playbook. Hopefully, LT's presence alleviates that.

LT provided a true complement to Shonn. Jones was a less-powerful version of the same type of RB. The move makes plenty of sense.

Screen passes = continuity and rhythm in the passing game.

Big runs against the Texans, Bills...14 touchdowns. Jones is average and could be finished but at the same time...

X-Factor is the offensive lines.

Jets = elite, Chargers = average, at best.

so was sproles. i'm guessign that th eo-line had something to do with that. and did you actually see those big runs? huge holes and Tj looked just so painfully slow. and the guy can't break tackles to save his life. look at the video i posted oj LT's 2009 highlights....most of those plays TJ is down on first contact.

Brett Favre version 2.0

Sell those PSLs.

Thomas Jones was a very good Jet, but I guess if I have to choose between two 30+ year old fading RB's that are going to get over-paid in an uncapped year... I'd choose the 30+ year old RB that was once considered one of the best the game ever saw... and not the one that runs into his blockers and goes down on first contact.

Now... we need to make damn sure Tony Richardson is a Jet next season, as well as Leon Washington.

That's not actually a bad comparison, and while people like to credit both to PSLs, just like the Favre acquisition the truth goes deeper than that. In both cases, while he may be past his prime, he's a player who still provides an upgrade overly the greatly overrated player he is replacing. Not that Jones was anywhere near as useless as Pennington, but in this case the Jets acquired a more versatile player and a future HOFer who's replacing an average player.

The thing I find funny is for so long people always criticized the Jets for not being proactive enough and getting rid of guys a year too late. Then the team gets rid of Jones and replaces him with a guy who is in a similar spot in his career, but a better player AND a guy they have no attachment to, thus can have the freedom to cut loose at any time, and people still aren't happy.

That's not actually a bad comparison, and while people like to credit both to PSLs, just like the Favre acquisition the truth goes deeper than that. In both cases, while he may be past his prime, he's a player who still provides an upgrade overly the greatly overrated player he is replacing. Not that Jones was anywhere near as useless as Pennington, but in this case the Jets acquired a more versatile player and a future HOFer who's replacing an average player.

The thing I find funny is for so long people always criticized the Jets for not being proactive enough and getting rid of guys a year too late. Then the team gets rid of Jones and replaces him with a guy who is in a similar spot in his career, but a better player AND a guy they have no attachment to, thus can have the freedom to cut loose at any time, and people still aren't happy.

Excellent points.

Couple it all with the fact that this is an uncapped year, and I see very little downside to this signing.

I watched those highlights. He doesn't look that bad. OTOH, man they play some ****ty teams. Raiders, Chiefs, Browns, Titans. At least he dropped one on the Eagles.

This.

Week after week, myself and all the anti-Schotty fans wondered why the heck there was no screen pass in our playbook. Hopefully, LT's presence alleviates that.

LT provided a true complement to Shonn. Jones was a less-powerful version of the same type of RB. The move makes plenty of sense.

Screen passes = continuity and rhythm in the passing game.

I maintain that the screen pass is not a compliment for the power running game. They're a substitute for power runs. You use a screen pass to slow a pass rush that is teeing off against your passing game. The Jets are a run first team. They are not generally facing teams that are just sending pressure. Sure they will use them now and then, but unless the passing game changes drastically and is much stronger I don't think they'll be a staple.

OTOH, I think we will see more dump offs, check downs and swing passes than we did with Greene and Jones who can't catch a cold. Sorry all you Chad haters, but they are good option if the initial play isn't there.

X-Factor is the offensive lines.

Jets = elite, Chargers = average, at best.

Arguing over this is a moot point... he's a Jet... we'll get to watch how productive he is up close and personal next season...

Remember TJ was our #1 RB, LT will be our #2 this year. There is no one-to-one comparison that can be made. We just have to see what happens.

I know this... last year's team wasn't enough to get to the SB or win it... and contributed almost nothing in the playoffs.

TJ will be in KC as their #2 this year... lucky to win 6 games.

LT will be in NYC this year as the #2... looking for a trip to the SuperBowl.

Shonn Greene is the one I'm psyched to watch this year. He is going to be one helluva closer...

I maintain that the screen pass is not a compliment for the power running game. They're a substitute for power runs. You use a screen pass to slow a pass rush that is teeing off against your passing game. The Jets are a run first team. They are not generally facing teams that are just sending pressure. sure they will use them now and then, but unless the passing game changes drastically and is much stronger I don' think they'll be a staple.

I think being able to dump a ball off to the RB, whether on a designed screen pass, or just a check-down... is instrumental in ensuring that your QB stays in a rhythm. A dump off for 2 yards is much better than those high risk throws into traffic any day... because it cuts down on the INTs and at the end of the day, its a completed pass... rhythm.

So while the screen pass specifically may not be a complement to the power running game... having a RB who can catch the ball out of the backfield is huge for a 2nd year QB, and more to the point I was initially trying to make.

OTOH, I think we will see more dump offs, check downs and swing passes than we did with Greene and Jones who can't catch a cold. Sorry all you Chad haters, but they are good option if the initial play isn't there.

lol....yeah but the problem with chad was the initial play was there just he didn't have the arm strength to get it there and so he dumped it off, lol. the only way chad was chucking it downfield was either a rainbow pass or if the receiver was open by like 10 yards so the db couldn't just run under his floaters.

LT salary: 2 yrs, $5.2 mil, according to source. Can escate to $5.7 mil. He got slightly more than Thomas Jones from KC.

GOOD DEAL. You had to give LT more than TJ, just based on resume (remember, contracts reflect PAST performance as much as they reflect future performance. May not make sense, but they do).

It's an uncapped year, so kick in an extra 200K and get it done.

Smart move. TJ is a inferior version of Greene. LT brings a different skillset. If anyone actually watched the games last year, you would have seen LT was still pretty quick... not 2006 quick, but quick.. But SD had no interest in running the ball enough to get into a rhythm.

I think being able to dump a ball off to the RB, whether on a designed screen pass, or just a check-down... is instrumental in ensuring that your QB stays in a rhythm. A dump off for 2 yards is much better than those high risk throws into traffic any day... because it cuts down on the INTs and at the end of the day, its a completed pass... rhythm.

So while the screen pass specifically may not be a complement to the power running game... having a RB who can catch the ball out of the backfield is huge for a 2nd year QB, and more to the point I was initially trying to make.

I also think it would keep the defense off-balance. I love the screen pass!

LT salary: 2 yrs, $5.2 mil, according to source. Can escate to $5.7 mil. He got slightly more than Thomas Jones from KC.

GOOD DEAL. You had to give LT more than TJ, just based on resume (remember, contracts reflect PAST performance as much as they reflect future performance. May not make sense, but they do).

Smart move. TJ is a inferior version of Greene. LT brings a different skillset. If anyone actually watched the games last year, you would have seen LT was still pretty quick... not 2006 quick, but quick.. But SD had no interest in running the ball enough to get into a rhythm.

I think the last sentence is an important one and an excellent point.

San Diego has transitioned from being a "run first" team to a "pass first" team over the past two seasons, not because of LT, but because of Rivers and the receivers they have, and Turner's offense. This, as much as anything, has been a very big factor in LT's declining numbers. Remember, Sproles numbers were effected last year, as well.

2010 LT is certainly not 2006 LT, but behind a "run first" philosophy and the best O-line in the game, he'll be a more than sufficient alternative to Greene, in my opinion.

I know LT has lost a few steps, but what made him great besides his quick moves was his ability to see the lanes and openings to run through or cut back on. I think behind our line he can easily do as good as or not better than TJ would have as our #2. Plus he adds the dimension of coming out of the backfield for a pass. I think at the very least it's a even deal switching TJ for LT and anything he gives us extra is just a bonus. I do hope we can resign Leon with performance encentives so we can see what he can do on that leg.

What a tool Prisco is. Geez! Tomlinson rushed for 3.3 yards/rush last year.

I was against the move, but I suppose they did it to have a more accomplished pass catcher out of the backfield. Thomas Jones had a ****load of 2 yard gains this year, anyway. LT can do that just as well. And he will have a much better line to run behind. They must have some concerns about Leon reaching top efficiency after such a bad break. Tomlinson's pass catching will reduce the pass rush and limit Sanchez INT's, I suppose.

That's what I've been saying all week (as you & others have as well).

It's not a bad deal. Wish it would have been a little less, but I think you guys are right. Behind our line he should get some good carries. But with Greene probably starting, how many yards would be good for LT???

I don't want to put a # on it.. Hard to say, as we do not know how much they are going to use him. If he can relieve Greene enough, mentor him, and score TDs close in ...

It's not a bad deal. Wish it would have been a little less, but I think you guys are right. Behind our line he should get some good carries. But with Greene probably starting, how many yards would be good for LT???

That's backup RB money. We really can't complain about it.

Consider this: Leon last year turned down a deal from the Jets that would have paid him $5 million PER YEAR. LT signed for about $2.6 million a year.

That's backup RB money. We really can't complain about it.

Consider this: Leon last year turned down a deal from the Jets that would have paid him $5 million PER YEAR. LT signed for about $2.6 million a year.

And the thing people miss. LT is only 3 yrs older.

Sure, LT has tons of miles on his tires, and Washington does not.

I was against the move, but I suppose they did it to have a more accomplished pass catcher out of the backfield. Thomas Jones had a ****load of 2 yard gains this year, anyway. LT can do that just as well. And he will have a much better line to run behind. They must have some concerns about Leon reaching top efficiency after such a bad break. Tomlinson's pass catching will reduce the pass rush and limit Sanchez INT's, I suppose.

Agree with this. I just don't see anything that TJ could do on this team that LT couldn't. At worst, this is a lateral move.

Plus, he has a cool visor.

And the thing people miss. LT is only 3 yrs older.

Sure, LT has tons of miles on his tires, and Washington does not.

I think that this is a precursor to us trading Leon and getting Marshall without giving up our first. We're doing a lot of wheeling and dealing it has worked out in the past for us so I hope it does this year also.

Poop.

We just signed a washed up, broken down, cry baby, pusswah who disappears when it means the most.

Lets all collectively pray that Greene and Leon stay healthy in 2010.

That.

Or that the guys balls drop playing for a tough team, and he helps the Jets get a ring.

Archived