**Official Ladainian Tomlinson Thread** [Merged]

dolphann4life

Should we sign LT?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Should we sign LT?

• Yes, he would fit in nicely as a complementary back
    • No, he's finished.
    • I don't care one way or the other.

You guys may have thought that, but there was plenty who didn't.. regardless.. losign a third down back who wasn't doing in **** in the middle of the season and a part time DT whose back up played better then he did does not qualify as an injury bug...

Exactly. I can understand how this may look from an outsiders perspective. ESPN and all its shows...I get it...b/c Woody Paige isn't a Jet fan...he and everyone like him shouldn't get it...because they see TJ's 1400 yards and LTs 3.3 ypc (or whatever) and they start drawing conclusions. Because THEY ARE READING PAPAER.

But this boggles my mind for Jet fans who have actually watched all the games to say the same thing. The Offensive Line got TJ 1400 imo. TJ was a solid durable back nothing more. It was sooooo apparent how JAG he was as Greene started to get it going at seasons end.

Give LT the same holes as TJ had last year and you will get better results imo.

Not to mention we ARE talking about 2nd string RBs here.

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can agree to an extent that Tanny is gambling on the health of the team and our talent being SB level, but I think this is the offseason to address depth and the future because we have such strength in our starters and there's really no position where we are going to draft an immediate starter.

That's what the draft is about. That's why Tanny got another pick in drafting Tanny.

Signing LT doesn't stop the Jets from addressing depth. In fact, it gives them a greater opportunity to do so because, as you noted, there is no need to draft an immediate starter.

And, I still don't find the rationale in your "If Greene goes down ..." argument.

If the Jets didn't sign LT, then who would you want them to sign? Who?

Everyone available now has age/injury issue except for Pierre Thomas who wants starter money and 2nd rounder.

You said earlier that RBs are a dime a dozen and that the Jets can find a RB from someone else's roster. So you want the Jets to find a practice squad player from another team to be Greene's insurance policy???

I can agree to an extent that Tanny is gambling on the health of the team and our talent being SB level, but I think this is the offseason to address depth and the future because we have such strength in our starters and there's really no position where we are going to draft an immediate starter.

I hate to say it CTM, but I agree with Kleck here. We lost our best offensive weapon and what we thought was the anchor to our defense in Big Jenk last season and we did alright. Defensively, I think Rex proved his scheme is more important than his players...or maybe I've just underrated our depth because on more than one occasion we were down a key player for a variety of reasons, Big Jenk, Calvin, Strickland, Sheppard, Ellis.

I've complimented Tanny on his aggressiveness to make this team better via draft and FA and even though I dont agree with this move, it is something to be excited about in a sense because its clear players want to come here now and we have a GM that can make it happen.

The problem that I have with this move particular and why the depth issue bcomes a problem is that we have question marks at RB right now. We dont have that any where else on the team. Every other position is solidified with healthy proven players. Granted nobody's safe from injury but like I've stated, I dont think we know what we have in Greene (injuries, can he carry the load, was he a flash in the pan, etc), we dont know what we have in Leon and we just signed a player we know everything about...he's injury prone whiny pusswah on the decline who disappears in the clutch. Knowing this is a run first offense and Sanchez is likely to experience a sophomore slump, I dont like this signing.

So not I'm not lovin and hatin for the exact same reason. Right now, we are in a great position to add to the depth that maybe we might actually be underrating. When I look at this team, I see depth issues at WR, CB, OL. We can add that depth this offseason and we've started to already.

I hope LT shreds the league here, obviously, but I pray Greene stays healthy and can carry the load even more because I just dont know about LT.

Regarding there being questions at RB, there is literally no move outside of trading for a proven RB in their prime that Tannenbaum could've made that would change that. With how Jones played down the stretch, keeping him would've still made him a question. Any RB drafted would have been unproven in the NFL and obviously a question.

The thing you're not considering is that while you're loving the situation we are in to add depth, its moves just like this one that allow that. LT is just another step in putting together a team that, going into the draft, has no major needs. The Jets are putting themselves in a position to go BPA throughout and end up with the best possible haul. Nobody, including Tannenbaum, expects LT to be a long term solution, but under the current circumstances of this team he fills a valuable role. It's moves just like this that allowed the Jets to move up in the draft in order to get Greene at the top of round 3, which was considered an absurdity given the Jets having Jones and Washington and now a year later it looks brilliant.

Exactly. I can understand how this may look from an outsiders perspective. ESPN and all its shows...I get it...b/c Woody Paige isn't a Jet fan...he and everyone like him shouldn't get it...because they see TJ's 1400 yards and LTs 3.3 ypc (or whatever) and they start drawing conclusions. Because THEY ARE READING PAPAER.

But this boggles my mind for Jet fans who have actually watched all the games to say the same thing. The Offensive Line got TJ 1400 imo. TJ was a solid durable back nothing more. It was sooooo apparent how JAG he was as Greene started to get it going at seasons end.

Give LT the same holes as TJ had last year and you will get better results imo.

Not to mention we ARE talking about 2nd string RBs here.

That i actualy agree with, i do however believer we have a serious depth problem :D

You guys may have thought that, but there was plenty who didn't.. regardless.. losing a third down back who wasn't doing in **** in the middle of the season and a part time DT whose back up played better then he did does not qualify as an injury bug...

Yes but we also played well with Pace out, Ellis out, Strickland out, Big Jenk out, Sheppard out, we had what we thought were key players injured and people stepped up. Do we still have a depth problem, yeah, in certain units but who has a perfect back up for every position?

But I agree, we definitely didnt have the injury bug but we played plenty of games without crucial players from either suspension or injury.

That's what the draft is about. That's why Tanny got another pick in drafting Tanny.

Signing LT doesn't stop the Jets from addressing depth. In fact, it gives them a greater opportunity to do so because, as you noted, there is no need to draft an immediate starter.

And, I still don't find the rationale in your "If Greene goes down ..." argument.

If the Jets didn't sign LT, then who would you want them to sign? Who?

Everyone available now has age/injury issue except for Pierre Thomas who wants starter money and 2nd rounder.

You said earlier that RBs are a dime a dozen and that the Jets can find a RB from someone else's roster. So you want the Jets to find a practice squad player from another team to be Greene's insurance policy???

I was looking toward the draft. If we are going to be a run oriented offense then lets get some studs. People have said this isnt a RB heavy draft, and I think completely opposite. Every round is going to have solid RB options. We got Leon in the 4th and Greene in the 3rd. Its a youth position and could you imagine a dynamic RB behind this oline. A Spiller or Best. Thats what I want the Jets to do and I just dont see us drafting a RB with LT, Greene and Leon on the roster. Not this year at least...pure speculation obviously.

Its more than "if Greene goes down". I think its way to premature to think he's the long term franchise RB. Can he carry the load, can he stay healthy, was he just a flash in the pan...am I a broken record. We dont know.

That brings me to your sweetheart Pierre Thomas. If Pierre Thomas is available and you planned on drafting a RB, then yes, why not trade a 2nd round pick for who I believe is a damn good player....a young proven vesatile starter. Sure. Do it. And have him start and bring Greene in the same way you did with TJ in a role that he really seemed to thrive.

Circle back, IMO, we have 3 question marks at RB when the running game is the strength of our offense.

Regarding there being questions at RB, there is literally no move outside of trading for a proven RB in their prime that Tannenbaum could've made that would change that. With how Jones played down the stretch, keeping him would've still made him a question. Any RB drafted would have been unproven in the NFL and obviously a question.

The thing you're not considering is that while you're loving the situation we are in to add depth, its moves just like this one that allow that. LT is just another step in putting together a team that, going into the draft, has no major needs. The Jets are putting themselves in a position to go BPA throughout and end up with the best possible haul. Nobody, including Tannenbaum, expects LT to be a long term solution, but under the current circumstances of this team he fills a valuable role. It's moves just like this that allowed the Jets to move up in the draft in order to get Greene at the top of round 3, which was considered an absurdity given the Jets having Jones and Washington and now a year later it looks brilliant.

I have taken this into consideration and I said thats the only real reason why this move could make sense. Flexibility in the draft. But for some reason I just dont see us drafting a RB which sends us into the season with question marks.

I was trying to avoid the TJ comparison's but LT always breakdowns and chokes at the end of the year, except for that one sick NWE game during the playoffs. Its at this time when his whiny pusswah attitude shines. So yes part of me is just like why? TJ was a work horse and he broke down cause he was banged up. A healthy offseason with the way that guy prepares and I think its one in the same. TJ with the slight edge with over 900 less touches who doesnt look as broken down as LT.

I have taken this into consideration and I said thats the only real reason why this move could make sense. Flexibility in the draft. But for some reason I just dont see us drafting a RB which sends us into the season with question marks.

I was trying to avoid the TJ comparison's but LT always breakdowns and chokes at the end of the year, except for that one sick NWE game during the playoffs. Its at this time when his whiny pusswah attitude shines. So yes part of me is just like why? TJ was a work horse and he broke down cause he was banged up. A healthy offseason with the way that guy prepares and I think its one in the same. TJ with the slight edge with over 900 less touches who doesnt look as broken down as LT.

As far as the LT vs TJ thing goes, there is one thing that I think is a big difference that only really dawned on me the last day or so. In terms of the kind of players they are, LT may fall behind TJ in some categories, be it proneness to injury, attitude or playoff performance (although its not like TJ showed up for us in the playoffs). However, the key difference is that as a player, I think LT provides a much better option as a part-time option than TJ. Jones has said it himself and his stats strongly agree that he is the type of back who needs his carries to get into a rhythm. He's just not the kind of guy who's effective from his first rush on, and that's what you need out of a backup RB.

While TJ was hurt last year, its clear his effectiveness was hurt even more when he was seeing a smaller portion of carries. For his career, outside of Tampa Bay in 2003 his numbers also reflect that he doesn't perform as well when handling a smaller portion of the carries. I don't think LT has that issue as much (although he's obviously never split carries much, he doesn't seem to be the kind of back who needs to find his rhythm) and add in his receiving skills and it makes him a better complimentary back, even though TJ today might actually be the better "full time" back.

Now LT is a problem as depth? The Chargers won 13 games with him running like **** with Sproles running like **** behind him. We can't win with him and our defense? **** that. It's a lateral move, but the guy was the best option and that's probably including Jones. He came cheap, no reason to whine. How many question marks scored 12 TDs last season?

Now LT is a problem as depth? The Chargers won 13 games with him running like **** with Sproles running like **** behind him. We can't win with him and our defense? **** that. It's a lateral move, but the guy was the best option and that's probably including Jones. He came cheap, no reason to whine. How many question marks scored 12 TDs last season?

Well, apparently TJ is a question mark and he had double the yards and scored 2 more touchdowns, plus they're similar ages, so, yeah, I'd say if you want to be fair about it you'd have to call him a huge "?".

I can't quite get excited about this move, when you have an injury prone Greene and Washington on top of the depth chart I'd rather see a more dependable guy in here.

Well, apparently TJ is a question mark and he had double the yards and scored 2 more touchdowns, plus they're similar ages, so, yeah, I'd say if you want to be fair about it you'd have to call him a huge "?".

I can't quite get excited about this move, when you have an injury prone Greene and Washington on top of the depth chart I'd rather see a more dependable guy in here.

If you go by that EVERYBODY is a question mark. Limited money and limited playing time. Who the hell is going to be more dependable than Tomlinson? The guy has double digit TDs every year. I don't expect you, or anybody else, to be excited about this move. I'm not either, but who would you prefer?

While TJ was hurt last year, its clear his effectiveness was hurt even more when he was seeing a smaller portion of carries. For his career, outside of Tampa Bay in 2003 his numbers also reflect that he doesn't perform as well when handling a smaller portion of the carries. I don't think LT has that issue as much (although he's obviously never split carries much, he doesn't seem to be the kind of back who needs to find his rhythm) and add in his receiving skills and it makes him a better complimentary back, even though TJ today might actually be the better "full time" back.

I agree with that assessment.

I also agree with JiF that Greene at this stage is unproven. If Greene's the real deal, then LT's the better backup. If Greene gets hurt or proves he can't carry the load, then we would've been better off with TJ.

Seems to me that it's pretty clear that they think Greene can handle it. We'll see.

People have said this isnt a RB heavy draft, and I think completely opposite. Every round is going to have solid RB options. We got Leon in the 4th and Greene in the 3rd. Its a youth position and could you imagine a dynamic RB behind this oline. A Spiller or Best. Thats what I want the Jets to do and I just dont see us drafting a RB with LT, Greene and Leon on the roster. Not this year at least...pure speculation obviously.

Just last year, the Jets spent three picks to trade up and select Greene at the top of the third round. This year, he's pencilled in to start. I really can't imagine them taking a back in the 1st or 2nd rounds largely because of that. It would definitely undermine Greene as the starter from that moment on.

We've both said repeatedly, "RB's are a dime a dozen." They are. They just need a decent third guy who can fill in in a pinch. You see quality backs come out of the draft's late rounds, or as UDFA's all the time. If the Jets want a rookie this year, that's they way I think (and hope) they go. I don't think this is a strong RB draft compared to other positions available, but it's a very strong draft overall. Should push a few very good late RB prospects down or out of the draft entirely.

Next year will be the time to draft a RB earlier. They'll have a full year of Greene as the (planned) starter under their belts, they'll see where they're at with LT and Leon (if he's still on the team), and they'll know exactly what they need at RB. Right now, they really don't.

If you go by that EVERYBODY is a question mark. Limited money and limited playing time. Who the hell is going to be more dependable than Tomlinson? The guy has double digit TDs every year. I don't expect you, or anybody else, to be excited about this move. I'm not either, but who would you prefer?

Exactly!

There's nothing wrong with replacing an old washed up veteran running back with old washed up veteran running back. I do like the versatility. Tomlinson does do more things badly than TJ does at this point. TJ while totally over rated and well past his prime is limited in the over all aspects of the game that he no longer is good at. Tomlinson can suck in both the pass and run game while TJ is limited to only sucking in the run game.

The best thing that could happen is we get lucky with a late round pick or a late TC cut that allows us to cut Tomlinson.

Completely agree.

I don't think we're going to see LT the superstar, but I do think we'll get a better LT than we've seen in the past two years.

Exactly. He is not going to average 3.3 YPC behind this OL.

Its more than "if Greene goes down". I think its way to premature to think he's the long term franchise RB. Can he carry the load, can he stay healthy, was he just a flash in the pan...am I a broken record. We dont know.

That brings me to your sweetheart Pierre Thomas. If Pierre Thomas is available and you planned on drafting a RB, then yes, why not trade a 2nd round pick for who I believe is a damn good player....a young proven vesatile starter. Sure. Do it. And have him start and bring Greene in the same way you did with TJ in a role that he really seemed to thrive.

Circle back, IMO, we have 3 question marks at RB when the running game is the strength of our offense.

Now it makes sense. But why waste your time with all the nonsense of the LT blind hate?

You should have said from the beginning that the Jets should sign Pierre Thomas to be the starter with Greene as the backup.

That would have cut to the chace and avoided your silly argument about LT.

Now it makes sense. But why waste your time with all the nonsense of the LT blind hate?

You should have said from the beginning that the Jets should sign Pierre Thomas to be the starter with Greene as the backup.

That would have cut to the chace and avoided your silly argument about LT.

What blind hate? Have you seen the guy lately? He's not the same. He's a washed up whiny pusswah who dissapears in the post season. Fact. I've seen it. You've seen it. There is nothing blind about what we know of LT in 2010.

But you know what my friend. I'm hoping he was in a bad situation after Marty left and its just wasnt an environment that he could thrive in and things will be different here. Maybe he just needs the pressence of a Shottenheimer. :jawdrop:

What blind hate? Have you seen the guy lately? He's not the same. He's a washed up whiny pusswah who dissapears in the post season. Fact. I've seen it. You've seen it. There is nothing blind about what we know of LT in 2010.

But you know what my friend. I'm hoping he was in a bad situation after Marty left and its just wasnt an environment that he could thrive in and things will be different here. Maybe he just needs the pressence of a Shottenheimer. :jawdrop:

Please stop using the word "pusswahh."

It is weak and lame.

But you know what my friend. I'm hoping he was in a bad situation after Marty left and its just wasnt an environment that he could thrive in and things will be different here. Maybe he just needs the pressence of a Shottenheimer.

It's a bit ironic that of Jones, Smith, Greene, Leon & Woodhead it was Jones who had the worse YPC at 4.2.

Leon & Greene combined for 871 yds last season on 180 carries. At Jones' average that would be 756 yds.

It is quite reasonable to believe that with this Oline, LT could average at least 4 ypc and, thus, would be on par with what Hones would have given the Jets. Plus, he'd have the pass catching addition.

Along those lines, it is blind hate because you completely disregard the putridness of the Chargers Oline. That same Oline that led to Sproles having 3.7 ypc.

Please stop using the word "pusswahh."

It is weak and lame.

PUSSWAH.

It's a bit ironic that of Jones, Smith, Greene, Leon & Woodhead it was Jones who had the worse YPC at 4.2.

Leon & Greene combined for 871 yds last season on 180 carries. At Jones' average that would be 756 yds.

It is quite reasonable to believe that with this Oline, LT could average at least 4 ypc and, thus, would be on par with what Hones would have given the Jets. Plus, he'd have the pass catching addition.

Along those lines, it is blind hate because you completely disregard the putridness of the Chargers Oline. That same Oline that led to Sproles having 3.7 ypc.

Stop. I've multiple times recognized that our OL might help him out because we were head and shoulders above SD's OL. Its not just the overall production. Its his health. His PUSSWAH attitude. His disappearance in the post season. The fact that he is quite possibly washed up is just an added concern.

There is nothing blind about saying those things. We've all had the chance to see this with our own eyes in primetime NFL. I'm shocked that you are denying it.

Do you think he will cry if we lose to the Pats twice this season?

With a much smaller sample size, it is easier to have a higher YPC avg. I'm not saying anything you don't know, so I'm not sure why you're not mentioning that...

PUSSWAH.

Stop. I've multiple times recognized that our OL might help him out because we were head and shoulders above SD's OL. Its not just the overall production. Its his health. His PUSSWAH attitude. His disappearance in the post season. The fact that he is quite possibly washed up is just an added concern.

There is nothing blind about saying those things. We've all had the chance to see this with our own eyes in primetime NFL. I'm shocked that you are denying it.

Do you think he will cry if we lose to the Pats twice this season?

I'm going to be honest, I've just sifted through several pages of this thread, and over the course of it, you've gone from driving briskly down the streets of I Don't Like This Signingville to making a sharp left directly towards Creepytown. Get a grip man.

I'm going to be honest, I've just sifted through several pages of this thread, and over the course of it, you've gone from driving briskly down the streets of I Don't Like This Signingville to making a sharp left directly towards Creepytown. Get a grip man.

Yep.

LT fit squarely into the "Sign this beast for short money" saying.

I've never seen the signing of a backup player elicit such venom.

Oh, so Rex cried for a socially acceptable reason?

Did I say that?

I appreciate your honesty RJF. And if I just built a casa in creepytown because I'm not joining the LT circle jerk, does this mean we cant be friends on the interwebz because you dont like creeps? If this is preventing our friendship from flourishing, then I might change my stance. You mean that much to me.

Yep.

LT fit squarely into the "Sign this beast for short money" saying.

I've never seen the signing of a backup player elicit such venom.

What venom? I'm not pissed over this. I'm not mad over this. I just dont agree with the signing. I've never seen a bunch douchesnozzles get so worked up over someone not agreeing with signing a washed up pusswah RB to the point where you are actually denying the truth about LT.

The venom is being shown by all you circle jerkers toward those who disagree to the point where you and RJF are calling me a "creep" for debating a topic.

Did I say that?

I appreciate your honesty RJF. And if I just built a casa in creepytown because I'm not joining the LT circle jerk, does this mean we cant be friends on the interwebz because you dont like creeps? If this is preventing our friendship from flourishing, then I might change my stance. You mean that much to me.

What venom? I'm not pissed over this. I'm not mad over this. I just dont agree with the signing. I've never seen a bunch douchesnozzles get so worked up over someone not agreeing with signing a washed up pusswah RB to the point where you are actually denying the truth about LT.

The venom is being shown by all you circle jerkers toward those who disagree to the point where you and RJF are calling me a "creep" for debating a topic.

I was tempted to respond to this by calling you names that would be edited by the profanity filter but I really don't have the energy so I'll just call you a "poopyhead" and move on.

Remember, we've been in mafia games together.

You're definitely creepy.

Its not just the overall production. Its his health. His PUSSWAH attitude. His disappearance in the post season. The fact that he is quite possibly washed up is just an added concern.

At the very least, these are all semi-legitimate concerns about Jones as well.

Casa? With this one you just put up a turistico.

NEW YORK -- LaDainian Tomlinson wants to cap his career with a Super Bowl ring. He believes the New York Jets can help him deliver on that dream.

"There would be no greater place than to bring a championship to the city of New York," Tomlinson said during a conference call Tuesday.

The eighth-leading rusher in NFL history chose New York over Minnesota, signing a two-year deal worth about $5.2 million on Sunday with the Jets after visiting both teams last week.

I'm sorry. Maybe you made a typo, but did you just suggest that Thomas Jones had great vision? Mr. I run up Nick Mangold's colon come hell or high water? And at the same time, say the opposite about Leon, back who actually has change of direction vision - and the skill to get there - when the first hole is closed?

No way I just read that. Must be a whole typo paragraph.

Nope you read it right . If a power run is called up the middle then the power back runs it up the middle. Jones does not call the plays. I agree there were times Jones ran right up the ass of Mangold but I dont think he was doing it just to lose yards. Or do you think Jones was the kind of back who had the speed to bounce it to the outside on a power run ? Honestly Sperm what sounds more fesable ? Jones bouncing it out ? or Jones ramming it up the middle ?

Jones has good vision IMO and its what made him a good running back. I stick by the comment :box:

Because they wanted someone with experience, and wanted to be sure that guy could thrive in a back up role.

This should not be a LT vs TJ debate when looking at them as starters. This should be an LT vs TJ debate when looking at them as back-ups.

I am guessing the Jets thought LT could me more versatile and would thrive better in the back up role.

That is what this is about.

Someone does not sign a low (relatively) contract, thinking they have a chance to earn the starting role, and then only get 500k in incentives.

I think it is abut TJ. The Jets do not plan to give him the touches he has had in the past, not with Greene there--- he is not a good pass catcher, and with fewer carries his average is likely to plummet. He usually does not give the team much over 10-15 carries. This is not worth the money he wanted. With LDT they get another dimension. They will probably get similar production over 10-12 carries. And he will catch screens. There also might be a little rancor over TJ whining about his contract last year. Especially after he got all his money up front.

I think it is abut TJ. The Jets do not plan to give him the touches he has had in the past, not with Greene there--- he is not a good pass catcher, and with fewer carries his average is likely to plummet. He usually does not give the team much over 10-15 carries. This is not worth the money he wanted. With LDT they get another dimension. They will probably get similar production over 10-12 carries. And he will catch screens. There also might be a little rancor over TJ whining about his contract last year. Especially after he got all his money up front.

He did not get all his money up front. He got ****ed out of the $6M they owed him this year. The fact that they cut him and we all knew they would meant that he was 100% right to bitch about his contract during the down year. The Jets wanted him back and cut him rather than honor his contract in an uncapped year.

Archived