dolphann4life

Should we sign LT?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Should we sign LT?

• Yes, he would fit in nicely as a complementary back
    • No, he's finished.
    • I don't care one way or the other.

Brett Favre turns 41 in October.

Is LT retiring after this year? In other words, is this a 1 year deal for LT because if he thinks he still has 2 or 3 good years in him why would he sign with the Vikings with the chances of Favre playing in 2011 are essentially nonexistant?

Great point.

If LT thinks he's got 2 or more years left i'm thinking signing with the Jets would be more attractive to him then the Vikes.

We re also forgetting about Chauncy Washington who we signed from Dallas last season. I hear the Jets are pretty high on him.

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply

K.C. Joyner from ESPN had some great analysis on LT...I'm not sold on him, but like I have been saying, he is VERY VALUABLE in the goal line set...see K.C. Joyner comments below...

Writes Joyner:

Tomlinson had 14 carries last season when the Chargers were within 5 yards of the opponent's goal line and he was given acceptable blocking. Five of these came in Weeks 1 through 7, when Tomlinson was still struggling with his injuries, and he scored on only one of those plays.

That stands in stark contrast to his late-season performance in this area, when LT scored touchdowns on six of the eight good-blocking goal-line plays. He also scored a 6-yard touchdown on a rush play with good blocking against the
Oakland Raiders
in Week 8. If that were added in, Tomlinson would have seven touchdowns on nine carries of this nature down the stretch. Add in his 4-for-4 mark in converting on short-yardage (defined as third-down plays needing 3 or fewer yards) run plays with good blocking, and LT's conversion rate in this area moves to a very impressive 11 successes on 13 carries.

The man is invaluable at the goal line...

a) Good backfield blocker

B) 10 times the reciever out of the backfield that Jones ever was

c) Much better burst to the hole than Jones ever had, and now would be running behind the best run-blocking OL in the league

d) Doesn't have his panties in a twist against the Jets FO/CS for diminished carries in 2009

e) The Electric F***ing Glide, baby!

0.jpg

Let me ask you this since you brought up the money angle. As a fan, why do you care how cheap or expensive he would be? Personally, I just want this team to win games...we can pick up another RB in the draft who can give us more years. Woody on the other hand might be looking at this as a way to sell tix.

For me in an uncapped year, I care about the money because I know that the Jets don't have unlimited financial resources. The more you overpay for one player may mean the inability to pay a more deserving player. In that sense, it's hurting the chance to win in the long term.

As to LT, if he signs with the Jets that doesn't preclude the team from drafting a RB. Heck, I think it increases the likelihood that it will. IMO, look for the Jets to draft a RB in the 5th or 6th round.

Look guys Shonn Greene is obviously going to be the workhorse. What LT brings us is another weapon the Defense has to be aware of. We need a receiving threat out of the back field and LT is that threat. I can see him easily catching 40 + balls out of the backfield and in passing situations. Imagine both him a Leon in at the same time. Both can block and BOTH will get attention from the defense.

Have a look at New Orleans Offense. All 3 backs Bush, Thomas and Bell can catch the ball out of the backfield Making Drew Brees' job very very easy. They can all block for him as well while hes looking downfield. Sanchez is very Brees like in his style and having outlets in the back field to check down too will be a huge help for both Sanchez and this offense. No one open down field dump the ball to one of your dynamic backs. Sure beats trying to force a ball into coverage.

We do not need LT to carry the load but he is still a huge threat at the goalline and just him being in there can open up so many possibilities. LT knows he will get limited Carries where ever he goes and he wont be an Issue or cause trouble. Hes a Class act that I would love to see on this team and I would not mind him getting a similar contract to what Thomas Jones just got. LT was NOT happy in Norv Turners Offense and his stats showed as much. I think this guy has alot left in the tank and the offense in SD and their O line was not designed for a back like LT after Marty Left so did LT's stats. Norv simply had a different Philosophy. I would love to see LT behind our O-Line as 3rd down back

Look guys Shonn Greene is obviously going to be the workhorse. What LT brings us is another weapon the Defense has to be aware of. We need a receiving threat out of the back field and LT is that threat. I can see him easily catching 40 + balls out of the backfield and in passing situations. Imagine both him a Leon in at the same time. Both can block and BOTH will get attention from the defense.

Have a look at New Orleans Offense. All 3 backs Bush, Thomas and Bell can catch the ball out of the backfield Making Drew Brees' job very very easy. They can all block for him as well while hes looking downfield. Sanchez is very Brees like in his style and having outlets in the back field to check down too will be a huge help for both Sanchez and this offense. No one open down field dump the ball to one of your dynamic backs. Sure beats trying to force a ball into coverage.

We do not need LT to carry the load but he is still a huge threat at the goalline and just him being in there can open up so many possibilities. LT knows he will get limited Carries where ever he goes and he wont be an Issue or cause trouble. Hes a Class act that I would love to see on this team and I would not mind him getting a similar contract to what Thomas Jones just got. LT was NOT happy in Norv Turners Offense and his stats showed as much. I think this guy has alot left in the tank and the offense in SD and their O line was not designed for a back like LT after Marty Left so did LT's stats. Norv simply had a different Philosophy. I would love to see LT behind our O-Line as 3rd down back

I'd rather go after Bell.Less mileage on the body.

For me in an uncapped year, I care about the money because I know that the Jets don't have unlimited financial resources. The more you overpay for one player may mean the inability to pay a more deserving player. In that sense, it's hurting the chance to win in the long term.

As to LT, if he signs with the Jets that doesn't preclude the team from drafting a RB. Heck, I think it increases the likelihood that it will. IMO, look for the Jets to draft a RB in the 5th or 6th round.

SMC there are tons of RB's just dieing to run behind an offensive line like the Jets. Signing backups is not difficult to do at the position the league is loaded with them and I dont see us using a pick on one in this draft.

Having Shonn Greene and Leon make it easy to sign a guy like LT and what he brings to the goaline table in both smarts and ability will help us a ton and make us very versatile in GL situations.

If the Jets are High on Chuncey that leaves us with Greene, Leon, LT, and Richardson (if they decide to keep him or go young will remain to be seen) I would be happy with this line up.

Where was LT when the JETS beat the Chargers-----------:confused:

I dont remember seeing any goal line heroics that day,just saying----:shutit:

I dont remember any goal line stands period...lol...

but

check my previous post...shows his stats for the goaline...pretty impressive...

I dont remember any goal line stands period...lol...

but

check my previous post...shows his stats for the goaline...pretty impressive...

Agreed and Im not against signing him. But we just cut a 30 yr old RB who did all we asked of him and more. Yes he ran out of gas in the AFC Championship game but Greene was injured.

Agreed and Im not against signing him. But we just cut a 30 yr old RB who did all we asked of him and more. Yes he ran out of gas in the AFC Championship game but Greene was injured.

I agree, you're right...

but...

I remember someone else posting this, and it couldnt have been said better...

I think the Jets cut Jones bc of the money(of course) and because they thought he was finished as a #1...I think they felt they couldnt bring him back in a reduced role/reduced pay because of a sense of pride within the locker room...A lot easier to take a reduced role somewhere else, rather than take a reduced role where you have been the man...

LT dealing with the same issue...Could you ever see LT taking a backseat in San Diego? Im talking less than what he did this season(he had 223 carries this year)...

I would love to see what LT can do behind our line. He just did not fit with Norv Turner's offensive philosophy, IMO.

Semper Fi

What makes you think he can fit our Offensive Philosophy...We run almost the same Offense as San Diego...Same style...(Schotty is a San Diego guy)...

i guess if you look at it in the way that he'll be runnign behind a much better o-line and he's a bonafide threat to catch passes ou tof th ebackfield then it's not a terrible idea. i mean he has to be at least as fast as TJ and he has to better at breaking tackles as TJ was. so...looking at it that way he is probably, at worst, a slight upgrade from jones. if we do sign him man i hope we catch lightning in a bottle and he is at least not a complete shell of his former self....like he appeared to be last year.

Haha, looks like Rex and Tanny knew what most of us did, TJ was just a product of the line. LT however had a **** line, I bet LT is going to surprise a lot of people.

It would be karmic justice if the Jets absolutely hit on every single one of these moves and win the SB going away. I'm really excited on this now, I think LT has just enough left to at least be like a Corey Dillon SB winner type player that the Pats had a few years back.

THIS IS OUR YEAR!!!

Haha, looks like Rex and Tanny knew what most of us did, TJ was just a product of the line. LT however had a **** line, I bet LT is going to surprise a lot of people.

It would be karmic justice if the Jets absolutely hit on every single one of these moves and win the SB going away. I'm really excited on this now, I think LT has just enough left to at least be like a Corey Dillon SB winner type player that the Pats had a few years back.

THIS IS OUR YEAR!!!

This time around, I think it actually is.

The Jets are reportedly willing to match for free agent LaDainian Tomlinson the deal Kansas City gave Thomas Jones.

The contract offer would be $5 million over two years, and the Jets are reportedly willing to exceed that number though incentives. The decision is curious because Jones is obviously the better player at this stage of his and LT's careers. Jones averaged 4.2 yards a carry last year; LT was at 3.3.

Rex and Tanny showing TJ the hate. I thought I was the only hater.

Max and BP could average 3.2 yds a carry with our line.

BP might get less as he ogles the OL's asses as he gets the ball.

What makes you think he can fit our Offensive Philosophy...We run almost the same Offense as San Diego...Same style...(Schotty is a San Diego guy)...

LT's production seemed to slip when Norv arrived, I also think our line is much better at the point of attack then SD's. It is also obvious that LT has better vision then TJ has ever had.

I also dont see LT as a downgrade from TJ, it's more of a wash or upgrade.

All I know I would love to see LT regain his form on our team next year, which I think is worth a shot and very possible.

Semper Fi

This is from the guy who claims LT signed.

http://twitter.com/AdamDragan

@thejetsblog HAHAH no worries, I'm telling you though, you'll see... hahah

@thejetsblog MY BEST FRIEND WORKS AT THE NEW STADIUM.. THEY BROKE THE NEWS, HE CALLED ME. #jets

@nittanyroar THE SOURCE IS THE NEW STADIUM.. MY BEST FRIEND JUST CALLED ME AND TOLD ME IT'S IN THE HUGE SCREENS. #JETS

It's official.. LT IS ON THE #JETS

THE JETS HAVE SIGNED LT.

#jets sign LT

Guys, LT was NOT BAD the latter half the season. Their OL was horrendous. He never got a "series" to work. I'm not saying he should start, but it should be Greene gets 2 series, LT gets 1, but give him the whole series when it's his turn! He'll get in a rhythm.

Don't forget, even at LTs size, he scores when he's around the end zone. He's a great goalline guy.

Guys, LT was NOT BAD the latter half the season. Their OL was horrendous. He never got a "series" to work. I'm not saying he should start, but it should be Greene gets 2 series, LT gets 1, but give him the whole series when it's his turn! He'll get in a rhythm.

Don't forget, even at LTs size, he scores when he's around the end zone. He's a great goalline guy.

+1

I don't want to have a question mark at what the Jets do best, which is running the football. LT will totally change my mind on that whether Leon Washington stays or goes. I love Leon, but if we can get a 2nd rounder for him, I'll take it.

+1

+2. Well said, aec.

This is from the guy who claims LT signed.

http://twitter.com/AdamDragan

Ha. He's probably on the screens because he is getting a tour of the facility and to show how much they love him they put up a picture of him on the four big screens. No surprise.

Hell they could've even put a video together of a fake signing, and some video clips, etc.

Either way, there is zero reason why we should let him go to Philly or New Orleans on visits. Sign him tonight or tomorrow morning and make sure he will be a JET in 2010.

Jets | LT to stay overnight

Fri, 12 Mar 2010 15:10:05 -0800

Randy Lange, of NewYorkJets.com, reports unrestricted free-agent RB LaDainian Tomlinson (Chargers) met with the New York Jets Friday, March 12, and he went to dinner with Jets personnel including general manager Mike Tannenbaum and head coach Rex Ryan. Tomlinson will stay in town overnight and his plans for Saturday, March 13, are unknown.

That's it, we've got no shot. LT played for San Diego, where they have hot cheerleaders that do the players... if we think we are going to impress LT with a bunch of Sdaden I-lend bar flies we got another thing coming!

Same old Jets. :P

Archived