New York Jets Sign Brodney Pool

idahojetsfan

Jets | Reach agreement with Pool

Thu, 11 Mar 2010 17:21:06 -0800

Adam Schefter, of ESPN.com, reports the New York Jets have reached an agreement on a one-year, $1.3 million contract with free-agent S Brodney Pool (Browns).

-----

1-year deal is perfect in this scenario. Perfect depth, and still allows us to draft a safety without forcing that rookie to step right in and produce.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, ah yeah, the Jets still need a Safety.

They're drafting one high, Hess.

Isn't it obvious?

They sign cheap a S with concussion issues to a 1 yr deal. That means S in rounds 1 or 2 to me.

They're drafting one high, Hess.

Isn't it obvious?

They sign cheap a S with concussion issues to a 1 yr deal. That means S in rounds 1 or 2 to me.

A move up for Thomas to hold down nickel for a year before taking over at safety is really interesting but I really don't want to end the second day with less than two players.

Jets | Reach agreement with Pool

Thu, 11 Mar 2010 17:21:06 -0800

Adam Schefter, of ESPN.com, reports the New York Jets have reached an agreement on a one-year, $1.3 million contract with free-agent S Brodney Pool (Browns).

-----

1-year deal is perfect in this scenario. Perfect depth, and still allows us to draft a safety without forcing that rookie to step right in and produce.

You're on a real roll tonight my friend. :biggrin:

http://www.jetnation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89081

We let go of Strickland on the basis that he's always hurt yet we sign a guy who's had 4 concussions. I don't understand that. Strickland was one of our better defensive backs and I would love to have him back. As for Coleman...he's still here? wtf? He's David Barrett 2.0

That's an insult to David Barrett. I still say that he got far more hate than he deserved, at least up until his last year. That said, Coleman as a DB is essentially useless.

This is a steal of a pick-up. If Pool recovers from his concussion he will be BETTER than Rhodes (2008-present version) and will help this defense big time with his hard hitting and big play making ability. He is what we wanted in Rhodes. The key for Brondey is staying healthy. A 1 year tryout at $1.3 million is a STEAL.

We let go of Strickland on the basis that he's always hurt yet we sign a guy who's had 4 concussions. I don't understand that. Strickland was one of our better defensive backs and I would love to have him back. As for Coleman...he's still here? wtf? He's David Barrett 2.0

The JETS announced Strickland was released because his hamstring was made of polly-o?

I must have missed that...

A move up for Thomas to hold down nickel for a year before taking over at safety is really interesting but I really don't want to end the second day with less than two players.

I'm torn the same way.

But my gut says that if Thomas hits the low 20s (i.e. Jet striking distance), Tanny will pounce and move up to get him.

We can't forget that in 4 years as a GM he's either moved up in the draft every year or tried to.

Good, shrewd signing considering his skillset is different from our other guys. If he's healthy he could be a pretty good player too.

Don't feel like moving up in the first for a safety either...maybe if it was Berry...there's really no need to do all that. Kendrick Lewis in the 5th would be nice.

Say we're not done at safety and draft one. We can't carry 5 safeties, I wouldn't think. So who's the odd man out? Smith or Ihedigbo?

I honestly think we may be done at safety. Tanny never hinted that we were going to make it a high priority, and this kind of signing makes me believe that we won't use a draft pick on one.

Guys, it's one year. Yes, he's had concussions, and yes, having had them in multiples increases the risk of recurrence, but he's a good and cheap and we can just say a little prayer to the god of small sample sizes. Besides, I don't really remember anybody up in arms when Smith was penciled in to start let alone just to fill in for a couple games.

Yeah, I don't see how anyone can be upset by this signing. We all wanted Rhodes gone, and he is an upgrade over the guys we have left, and if he stays on the field, Rhodes as well.

Price was right, so we'll see. Wouldn't be surprised to see us draft the position early still.

Jurevicius. The staph infections. Kellen Winslow's balls. They manage to simultaneously let some injuries linger longer than they should while rushing other guys back to aggravate them. I'm not entirely sure they're even doctors.

They went too far when they messed with his balls.

People here generally don't think the concussion issue merited letting him go over 1.3M. Obviously I've seen him play a whole lot and I think he's good. I was partly joking before, but I also wouldn't underestimate how far going from the worst medical staff in the league to the best will go toward keeping him on the field.

I've definitely heard a few times that a lot of people close to Pool think all except one of the concussions weren't exactly legit. Something about a history of migraines and the Browns joke of a medical staff misdiagnosing him.

I've definitely heard a few times that a lot of people close to Pool think all except one of the concussions weren't exactly legit. Something about a history of migraines and the Browns joke of a medical staff misdiagnosing him.

They're legit...He's been playing football longer than the 5 years he's been in the NFL and there's probably a concussion or two involved there...and he's def. had a couple in the NFL IIRC. He's been on the "if he could just stay healthy" list for a while...

Brodney Pool in 2009 was in on 693 plays made 36 tackles had 4 INTs and had a 45.5 completion % against him

Kerry Rhodes in 2009 was in on 909 and made 50 tackles had 3 INTs and had a 66.7 completion % against him

http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=S&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1

Atta boy Tanny. More depth at the position and getting a guy who talent wise should be our main replacement for Rhodes. Though it wouldnt shock me if Digs and Smith still get lots of playing time esp with this guys concussion history just to be on the safe side. Now lets sign Douglass back, and bring in a CB and vet RB for depth. 1st RD pick should still go for a D lineman.

1-3-4 END or just best and biggest dlineman there

2-CB

4-WR (though wr in 2 and a CB here could work)

5-Off Lineman for the future

6-S

7-Whatever (punter?)

Am I the only person not excited about this signing?

Pool is an average safety, who is one hit away from a career-ending injury. If he prevents us from signing some beastly rookie, I will be pissed.

The best thing about the signing is that Tanny won't feel forced to take a safety early or -worse- trade up for one. Otherwise you're right. The guy's nothing special, and one good hit away from the IR.

I don't think this move will stop them from drafting a safety at all, though. It shouldn't.

The best thing about the signing is that Tanny won't feel forced to take a safety early or -worse- trade up for one. Otherwise you're right. The guy's nothing special, and one good hit away from the IR.

I don't think this move will stop them from drafting a safety at all, though. It shouldn't.

another thing about this move slats is that Rob Ryan is the DC out there in Cleveland...Rob tells Rex "get this guy, he knows our defense"

another thing about this move slats is that Rob Ryan is the DC out there in Cleveland...Rob tells Rex "get this guy, he knows our defense"

Maybe not. They may have been looking to replace him before last season. Mangini allegedly wanted somebody smarter. Sound familiar? His agent says he's only had one documented concussion. I didn't follow the Browns much, but he hasn't missed many games. He missed 4 games prior to last season and three of those were his rookie year. In the two years before last he missed one start. If he's had all these concussion problems shouldn't he have sat more often?

June 29, 2009

Qey, Tony: Safety Mike Brown visited the Browns. What is the story? Are the Browns going to sign him? - Angelo Costanzo, Cleveland

Aey, Angelo: The Kansas City Chiefs signed him Thursday, but I do get the feeling the Browns are not quite comfortable with their free safety situation. Defensive coordinator Rob Ryan said it's a very difficult position in the Browns' scheme. I sense they will continue to look for a smarter player to man that position, currently held down by Brodney Pool.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/1246178066167530.xml&coll=2

Cheap one year deal. No negatives. Isn't it similar to what Elam was getting?

We are 1 pass rushing defensive end away from being a completely dominant defense.

I don't know how defenses can be dominant when the rules require DBs to play touch football. But a team can disguise this mandated weakness with a super pass rush. The rush has to come from 4 men though, whether in a 3-4 or 4-3. Once you start adding on you are cooked by the real good QB. I think it is more desirable to have a really good pass-rushing LB (Pace is just okay) because you can move him around more.

Archived