Revis in 2010

Jbro22

So I'm sittin in my cubicle and staring at my Revis Wallpaper and I start wondering.

When Darrelle Revis doesn't repeat his 2009 performance next season what happens? He had the greatest season a CB has ever had, and theres pretty much a 0% chance he does it again. So when he strings together a couple of games where he looks human, does Jetnation give him the Rhodes treatment? Does he get crucified for his off the field ventures into a clothing line and hip hop promotion of Kurtis the Kid? Or does he get a pass for a year? Will it come in 2011 maybe?

I can't wait to eventually bump this.

So I'm sittin in my cubicle and staring at my Revis Wallpaper and I start wondering.

When Darrelle Revis doesn't repeat his 2009 performance next season what happens? He had the greatest season a CB has ever had, and theres pretty much a 0% chance he does it again. So when he strings together a couple of games where he looks human, does Jetnation give him the Rhodes treatment? Does he get crucified for his off the field ventures into a clothing line and hip hop promotion of Kurtis the Kid? Or does he get a pass for a year? Will it come in 2011 maybe?

Is he going to be facing the same level of competition that he did in 2009?

Let's see:

He still will face Moss and Ginn but TO is gone from Buffalo. We are playing the Texans (Andre Johnson,) Bengals (Chad Johnson,) Ravens (Boldin,) Vikings (Sidney Rice) and Packers (Greg Jennings) at home so that's a tough group.

One the road we will see the Browns (Chansi Stuckey :rl: ,) Steelers (Holmes,) Bears (no one of consequence,) Detroit (Calvin Johnson) and Denver (who ever they draft to replace Brandon Marshall.)

He's got a brutal group to face at home but only a couple of tough draws on the road.

I have no reason to believe his performance will be anything less than we expect.

there is a long way to fall from what revis did less season to merely average. so even if he doesn't do as well, he will still have a spectacular season.

there is a long way to fall from what revis did less season to merely average. so even if he doesn't do as well, he will still have a spectacular season.

Oh I'm with you, but with an inevitable decline even if its only slight there will disappointed Jet fans. There always are.

When Darrelle Revis doesn't repeat his 2009 performance next season what happens?
He becomes a p*ssy and we trade him.

No really, I've wondered the same thing myself. He'll obviously be very good, but can he be '09 good again? Dude is only 25...maybe? *****in future man...

Oh I'm with you, but with an inevitable decline even if its only slight there will disappointed Jet fans. There always are.

A decline is inevitable... when he gets into his 30s. But Revis is still only 24 years old. He will be 25 on opening day.

I got a feeling we haven't even see his best yet.

i think maybe you underestimate your fellow fans. sure if he gets burned for 8 TDs there will be grumbling but if he doesn't match the best year a corner ever had but still plays well i doubt you'll see much grumbling... except from fans of other AFCE teams we face. :)

A decline is inevitable... when he gets into his 30s. But Revis is still only 24 years old. He will be 25 on opening day.

I got a feeling we haven't even see his best yet.

THAT.

I personally don't think its possible to see a repeat performance, no matter who he's going against. I believe Jets fans got so spoiled by his greatness in 09, that they'll feel like he was unfocused when he doesn't repeat his performance.

I exaggerated in my first post, but does anyone understand what I'm trying to say?

i think maybe you underestimate your fellow fans. sure if he gets burned for 8 TDs there will be grumbling but if he doesn't match the best year a corner ever had but still plays well i doubt you'll see much grumbling... except from fans of other AFCE teams we face. :)

Funny, I was under the assumption that you can never underestimate a Jets fan.

Funny, I was under the assumption that you can never underestimate a Jets fan.

fair point but try arguing that pouha is a JAG and that losing jenkins made this team worse last year and prepare for the assault. jets fans are intensely loyal to their players, almost to a fault, overvaluing most jets, especially unproven players.

THAT.

I personally don't think its possible to see a repeat performance, no matter who he's going against. I believe Jets fans got so spoiled by his greatness in 09, that they'll feel like he was unfocused when he doesn't repeat his performance.

I exaggerated in my first post, but does anyone understand what I'm trying to say?

I understand what you're trying to say but I don't agree that his performance isn't repeatable or beatable. I think he can be even better.

Look, every CB is going to be beaten once in a while. It happens to the best of them. But considering how Revis has improved year to year and is only going to be 25 on opening day, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

fair point but try arguing that pouha is a JAG and that losing jenkins made this team worse last year and prepare for the assault. jets fans are intensely loyal to their players, almost to a fault, overvaluing most jets, especially unproven players.

Really?

I guess if they like the guy...Considering how quickly I've seen this fanbase turn on guys I'm not sure "loyal" is the first word that comes to mind.

NO, I am not talking about Rhodes here, though I'm dying for more of that.

Really?

I guess if they like the guy...Considering how quickly I've seen this fanbase turn on guys I'm not sure "loyal" is the first word that comes to mind.

They're over Loyal, so they feel betrayed when a player isn't the greatest of all time. It usually takes a couple years for that to sink in. A la Rhodes. So fans grasp for straws when it comes to reasoning. The whole Rhodes is too concerned with modeling and acting was absolutely ridiculous. Rhodes himself didn't mention acting or modeling once in the last year and a half.

Just curious, but why is it that whenever a player on the Jets performs great that the fans automatically start saying "Oh he won't do it again"? Even if he gives 75% of the performance that he had in 2009 for the rest of his career, we're still talking about somebody who would make the hall of fame under those set of circumstances. I wonder if Titan fans are asking the same question about Chris Johnson (somehow I doubt it).

The Kerry Rhodes comparison is not good because you're talking about the difference between a player who performed at a near all pro level in 2006 and then seemed to big time it with his performance from 2008 on (as well as coming very close to being a locker room cancer). We all blamed Mangini for Rhodes's performance in 2008, but he was just as ineffective in 2009. Did you hear or read the interview that he gave? He pretty much said that he got pissed that he was no longer the focal point and tried to say only the ex Ravens were focal points (forgetting that Revis, Harris, and Jenkins pre-injury were just as big if not bigger focal points than any of the ex Ravens). Last time I checked Kerry, the guy who took over seemed to lead pretty good defenses and had just co-ordinated a team that wen to the AFC Championship game the year before, wheras you had not even been part of a team that even won a playoff game until this year. Call me crazy, but I'd say that under the circumstances, I'd probably listen to them. If Revis loses focus like Rhodes did and starts behaving in the same way, then yes he will get criticized, but not until then.

Lastly, why is it you can't wait to bump this thread? So you can prove some point? Would you rather be right about whatever point you're trying to prove than to see the Jets perform well? This is just coming off as somebody who is either upset about Rhodes or is somebody trying to be contrarian just for hell of it.

Really?

i realize this is anecdotal but there are always people on here clamoring for some scrub in green and white (example: danny woodhead) to get some reps or using said scrub as a reason why we don't need to go sign a big name player (plenty of people were touting clowny, b.smith, stucky as reasons we didn't need a real WR earlier this year for example).

or maybe i'm looking at it the wrong way, maybe jets fans just like to argue against any statement that's made regardless of whether they truly believe what they are saying or not. ;)

THAT.

No. Your OP is asking how we'll react if Revis is washed up at 25 yrs old.

I really don't understand how you can say he won't have as good a year in 2010 as he did in 2009 when he's not facing as tough a competition this year compared to last.

Would he have less than 6 INTs? Maybe, if teams test Cro more.

Revis averaged 35 yds and 4 catches against the best WRs. Why would he give up more yards and more catches in 2010?

Just curious, but why is it that whenever a player on the Jets performs great that the fans automatically start saying "Oh he won't do it again"? Even if he gives 75% of the performance that he had in 2009 for the rest of his career, we're still talking about somebody who would make the hall of fame under those set of circumstances. I wonder if Titan fans are asking the same question about Chris Johnson (somehow I doubt it).

The Kerry Rhodes comparison is not good because you're talking about the difference between a player who performed at a near all pro level in 2006 and then seemed to big time it with his performance from 2008 on (as well as coming very close to being a locker room cancer). We all blamed Mangini for Rhodes's performance in 2008, but he was just as ineffective in 2009. Did you hear or read the interview that he gave? He pretty much said that he got pissed that he was no longer the focal point and tried to say only the ex Ravens were focal points (forgetting that Revis, Harris, and Jenkins pre-injury were just as big if not bigger focal points than any of the ex Ravens). Last time I checked Kerry, the guy who took over seemed to lead pretty good defenses and had just co-ordinated a team that wen to the AFC Championship game the year before, wheras you had not even been part of a team that even won a playoff game until this year. Call me crazy, but I'd say that under the circumstances, I'd probably listen to them. If Revis loses focus like Rhodes did and starts behaving in the same way, then yes he will get criticized, but not until then.

Lastly, why is it you can't wait to bump this thread? So you can prove some point? Would you rather be right about whatever point you're trying to prove than to see the Jets perform well? This is just coming off as somebody who is either upset about Rhodes or is somebody trying to be contrarian just for hell of it.

Two Reasons.

1. Yes, I would love to be able to say I Told You So. That's what forums were made for.

2. This is my way of reminding people of the year he just had, and to not expect a repeat performance. Cause its not likely. And I don't feel like arguing with the Revis' fame went to his head people. Like I did with the anti-Rhodes people.

I am not upset about the Rhodes trade. I was upset with the way people turned on him in an instance. Mainly because it was the cool thing to do here. It was funny, I would tell non forum going Jets fans that the jets forums hated Rhodes. They couldn't believe it. It was a fad, mainly because we had little to complain about on defense last year. And Rhodes kept an active Twitter account.

I really don't understand how you can say he won't have as good a year in 2010 as he did in 2009 when he's not facing as tough a competition this year compared to last.

Revis averaged 35 yds and 4 catches against the best WRs. Why would he give up more yards and more catches in 2010?

What he did last year was bat **** crazy. You're not supposed to be that good.

or maybe i'm looking at it the wrong way, maybe jets fans just like to argue against any statement that's made regardless of whether they truly believe what they are saying or not. ;-)
Lol...Wut u did there...I c it.

Why would he give up more yards and more catches in 2010?
Why wouldn't he? Football's too convoluted to expect another season like '09 realistically. I DO think there's going to be years where he easily tops 6 picks...That's the next step for him...turnover/playmaking machine.

he probably will because cro is a little more intimidating than lito/strickland so teams will throw to him a little more but absent a complete and utter meltdown not sure why OP thinks we're going to suddenly hate him next year. chad had his defenders to the very end and was a dud (albeit a nice person) - revis represents the first time in my lifetime when we're had the best player at his position on our team. pretty exciting stuff if you ask me. this isn't some new guy we'll turn on in a dime - he's deserved the benefit of the doubt even if he turns in a turd performance or two next year (which he won't).

i realize this is anecdotal but there are always people on here clamoring for some scrub in green and white (example: danny woodhead) to get some reps or using said scrub as a reason why we don't need to go sign a big name player (plenty of people were touting clowny, b.smith, stucky as reasons we didn't need a real WR earlier this year for example).

or maybe i'm looking at it the wrong way, maybe jets fans just like to argue against any statement that's made regardless of whether they truly believe what they are saying or not. ;)

I'll openly admit that I love Woodhead(sig worthy).

More so for the root for the underdog thing. But I know better then to think he's a good option at RB.

I'll openly admit that I love Woodhead(sig worthy).

More so for the root for the underdog thing. But I know better then to think he's a good option at RB.

I don't mind Woodhead being on our roster if for no other reason than our OL can make any RB look good.

What he did last year was bat **** crazy. You're not supposed to be that good.

Okay, Revis gives up 40 yds and 5 catches a game then.

Does that fall into the OP's point about Jet fans hating Revis?

What Revis does is based on film study, technique, and athletic ability.

If all 3 are still there for him in 2010, I see no reason why his production would be noticeably worse where people will be questioning his ability.

Seriously. The Chad and Rhodes comparisons are absurd. Chad and Rhodes had an island of good years in a sea of mediocrity. Revis has been getting better in 3 consecutive years (including his rookie year where he was good even then).

Okay, Revis gives up 40 yds and 5 catches a game then.

Does that fall into the OP's point about Jet fans hating Revis?

What Revis does is based on film study, technique, and athletic ability.

If all 3 are still there for him in 2010, I see no reason why his production would be noticeably worse where people will be questioning his ability.

Seriously. The Chad and Rhodes comparisons are absurd. Chad and Rhodes had an island of good years in a sea of mediocrity. Revis has been getting better in 3 consecutive years (including his rookie year where he was good even then).

I'm really just spreading caution, and being bored at work.

But with the responses I'm getting I'm buying into my theory even more. Time will tell.

Two Reasons.

1. Yes, I would love to be able to say I Told You So. That's what forums were made for.

2. This is my way of reminding people of the year he just had, and to not expect a repeat performance. Cause its not likely. And I don't feel like arguing with the Revis' fame went to his head people. Like I did with the anti-Rhodes people.

I am not upset about the Rhodes trade. I was upset with the way people turned on him in an instance. Mainly because it was the cool thing to do here. It was funny, I would tell non forum going Jets fans that the jets forums hated Rhodes. They couldn't believe it. It was a fad, mainly because we had little to complain about on defense last year. And Rhodes kept an active Twitter account.

You say other fans couldn't believe Jet fans hated on Rhodes? Why don't we journey back to early last decade and see how many non Jet fans were in love with Herman Edwards and were convinced he was a great coach? How did that turn out? Any Jet fan with eyes can see why we turned on Rhodes. He was wasted talent. The Jets won not because of Kerry Rhodes, but in spite of him (and it took him being benched for even that to happen, see the Jacksonville game).

But hey if Revis turns into Kerry Rhodes overnight and the Jets suffer for it allows you to prove a point, than good for you. I personally don't think Vernon Gholston is actually going to ever live up to his draft status, but as a Jet fan I would rather be wrong and see the team get better than say "I told you so" to the few Gholston fans left.

You say other fans couldn't believe Jet fans hated on Rhodes? Why don't we journey back to early last decade and see how many non Jet fans were in love with Herman Edwards and were convinced he was a great coach? How did that turn out? Any Jet fan with eyes can see why we turned on Rhodes. He was wasted talent. The Jets won not because of Kerry Rhodes, but in spite of him (and it took him being benched for even that to happen, see the Jacksonville game).

But hey if Revis turns into Kerry Rhodes overnight and the Jets suffer for it allows you to prove a point, than good for you. I personally don't think Vernon Gholston is actually going to ever live up to his draft status, but as a Jet fan I would rather be wrong and see the team get better than say "I told you so" to the few Gholston fans left.

No, theres two kinds of Jets fans. Forum Jets fans like us. And those or don't read forums. I'm not saying one is better then the other. I'm just saying it was trendy to hate on Rhodes last year here on the forums.

That hate didn't really extend to fans that didn't read most of the nonsense here. It's gang mentality.

That said, those fans that didn't participate in forums did see his regression. They just didn't go out of there way to hate him.

I'm really just spreading caution, and being bored at work.

But with the responses I'm getting I'm buying into my theory even more. Time will tell.

I understand the boredom.

It's just a different kind of production we're dealing with with respect to Revis.

It's not like he's a QB who threw for 48 TDs and that will be tough to repeat. Revis played great in coverage based on (as I mentioned) his film study, technique, and athleticism.

What Revis does is more easily repeated than a QB throwing X number of TDs or a WR catching Y number of passes.

as a committed jets darksider i gotta say that us jets pessimists are concerned about much more than mr. revis next year.

I'm not concerned with Revis in the least. I'm concerned that I'll have to waste time defending him in the next few years.

Archived