Revis in 2010

Jbro22

I understand the boredom.

It's just a different kind of production we're dealing with with respect to Revis.

It's not like he's a QB who threw for 48 TDs and that will be tough to repeat. Revis played great in coverage based on (as I mentioned) his film study, technique, and athleticism.

What Revis does is more easily repeated than a QB throwing X number of TDs or a WR catching Y number of passes.

I hope your right, I just don't see it happening again.

JBro- I love ya, but frankly you can't compare Rhodes to Revis because the truth is: Rhodes never had a season even to compare to Revis. He had one "good" season. Lots of guys have good season. If Revis has a dropoff then I'm sure that "drop-off" won't be to a non-existent level ala Rhodes.

JBro- I love ya, but frankly you can't compare Rhodes to Revis because the truth is: Rhodes never had a season even to compare to Revis. He had one "good" season. Lots of guys have good season. If Revis has a dropoff then I'm sure that "drop-off" won't be to a non-existent level ala Rhodes.

I'm not really comparing seasons or stats. Just the mentality that people approach with.

Usually 1 reputable poster claims someone sucks

Another agrees

Fall out ensues no one wants to be in the minority

Someone bumps an old post of theirs and claims they've been saying it all along

So I'm just planting my seed really in a reverse sort of way. When the fallout occurs, it could be 5 years from I get to bump this thread. Not claiming someone sucked all along, but I get to claim the whole scenario. A Jetnation first of Nostradamus proportions.

I mean, Rhodes had an average season for a Safety and you'd think he was the new AIDs if you listened to the majority of Jets fans.

It's not that Rhodes had an average season. It's that he is a guy who waits for a guy to run past him then jumps on his back to tackle him. He is a wuss. that would be fine if he didn't run his mouth on top of it.

to compare Revis to Rhodes is onlt possible because they were on the same team. It's a joke!

I'm not really comparing seasons or stats. Just the mentality that people approach with.

Another agrees

So I'm just planting my seed really in a reverse sort of way. When the fallout occurs, it could be 5 years from I get to bump this thread. Not claiming someone sucked all along, but I get to claim the whole scenario. A Jetnation first of Nostradamus proportions.

Or maybe you can wait 10 years until he's too old and washed up to play the position effectively anymore, and then once people are clamoring for him to retire you can go "SEE! I told you all!"

You will always have at least some people with any opinion imaginable regarding this team, and very few if any of those opinions have any sort of consensus. There has already been people who have actually made asinine comments criticizing Revis, they are just the vast minority at this point and are roundly mocked and ignored. So really, you're just targeting whatever people are going to disagree with you in the future so that you can use this thread as evidence that you've disagreed with them long before they held their opinion. But why? Its a message board, you look around long enough you can find people willing to crap on our best players at the drop of the hat and suck off our worst players until the day they retire. Trust me, its far more fun to just completely own them at the time of the disagreement.

And besides, unless Revis completely goes down the crapper out of nowhere, I think we all know anyone who criticizes him is just a moron anyway. :biggrin:

When Darrelle Revis compiles zero impact stats and makes zero impact plays and implores fans to vote him into the Pro Bowl...

...when Darrelle Revis gets angry at his teammates because he is no longer the only good player on the defense...

...when Darrelle Revis stops caring about football as much as his acting and modeling careers...

...when Darrelle Revis avoids making contact to save his pretty face for after football...

...when Darrelle Revis gets outplayed by every starter on his unit...

...only then will I give him the Kerry Rhodes treatment.

No, theres two kinds of Jets fans. Forum Jets fans like us. And those or don't read forums. I'm not saying one is better then the other. I'm just saying it was trendy to hate on Rhodes last year here on the forums.

That hate didn't really extend to fans that didn't read most of the nonsense here. It's gang mentality.

That said, those fans that didn't participate in forums did see his regression. They just didn't go out of there way to hate him.

Most of the 'non-forum' football fans that I know are completely clueless about the goings-on of their team.

Another agrees

Kerry Rhodes did not get traded because of JetNation posters.

But obviously those posters were on to something.

So I'm sittin in my cubicle and staring at my Revis Wallpaper and I start wondering.

When Darrelle Revis doesn't repeat his 2009 performance next season what happens? He had the greatest season a CB has ever had, and theres pretty much a 0% chance he does it again. So when he strings together a couple of games where he looks human, does Jetnation give him the Rhodes treatment? Does he get crucified for his off the field ventures into a clothing line and hip hop promotion of Kurtis the Kid? Or does he get a pass for a year? Will it come in 2011 maybe?

I can't wait to eventually bump this.

I remember when I said that, glad to see that you see it too.

Anyway, Darrelle will have seasons like last year for the next 5 years. Then he'll come down a notch afterwards to be "one of the best in the league". right now Darrelle is out of this world and his talent is to shut receivers down by himself and he had an entire year every week to show that he can do it better than anyone has ever done it.

When its all said and done the Jets would have drafted a defensive player that will be as cult legendary as Namath...especially if we get a ring during his time. IMO Darrelle has a chance to end his career as arguably the best CB to ever play because I think that his talent is the real deal. One year wonders dont go one on one and shut every WR down for 19 weeks including the playoffs.

Another agrees

That's fans in general though don't you think?

Dude, we're on a board to talk about our team. I think it's safe to say most of us have a strong opinion about our franchise, it's players, coaches and management. You're close to my age so we both grew up in the age of polarizing opinions. Guys like Francesa on the radio who makes a living by being polarizing. The microscope has increased on athletes in general which creates a climate that is ripe for people to be on one side or the other. Some people are far more combative than others "You're right, you're wrong, and you're dumb." while others try to be on the different side of things just to be different. Others are followers who follow a general consensus.

Not only that, athletes are fascinating job group as their worth is based on their on-field performance. We can say this about anyone who's out there right now who is performing at an elite level. Hell, we're looking at LT as what, a #2 or #3 RB, you could've made this claim about him 4 years ago and voila, it came true!

I was actually with you on Rhodes, I thought the guy got a lot of undeserved flack, but in between those shots there were valid opinions that spoke the truth. Once he was gone he proved that diva attitude to me and if he held onto that resentment I'm sure it was affecting him on the field.

Or maybe you can wait 10 years until he's too old and washed up to play the position effectively anymore, and then once people are clamoring for him to retire you can go "SEE! I told you all!"

You will always have at least some people with any opinion imaginable regarding this team, and very few if any of those opinions have any sort of consensus. There has already been people who have actually made asinine comments criticizing Revis, they are just the vast minority at this point and are roundly mocked and ignored. So really, you're just targeting whatever people are going to disagree with you in the future so that you can use this thread as evidence that you've disagreed with them long before they held their opinion. But why? Its a message board, you look around long enough you can find people willing to crap on our best players at the drop of the hat and suck off our worst players until the day they retire. Trust me, its far more fun to just completely own them at the time of the disagreement.

And besides, unless Revis completely goes down the crapper out of nowhere, I think we all know anyone who criticizes him is just a moron anyway. :biggrin:

Thats what I'm saying, this thread is full proof.

Revis did not have the best year ever last year, he still has improving to do.

Correct. Revis is the best CB in the league, but that doesn't mean he can't get any better. Now he has to actually catch the ball more when it comes his way. Two blatant drops were the Thursday night game in Toronto, and the Falcons game late in the fourth that would have clinched it.

Correct. Revis is the best CB in the league, but that doesn't mean he can't get any better. Now he has to actually catch the ball more when it comes his way. Two blatant drops were the Thursday night game in Toronto, and the Falcons game late in the fourth that would have clinched it.

Exactly. That and he doesn't have to let up any TD's, instead of the 3 or 4 he allowed in 2009. He can strive for that in 2010.

Talk about a Told You So moment...I remember last season, some time around November, I was telling EY about how some random stupido was going to start some thread about how Revis would fall off in 2010, only he was only starting it so he'd be able to bump it in 2011, only the poster would really be doing it out of some wild need for attention; and of course to go back to the initial and completely arbitrary argument of "Revis had da gweatest season evah in 2009!" Of course, EY laughed and then threw a golf ball at me that hit me right in the nuts, told me I was crazy and that nobody could possibly be that annoying, even insulted my mother, but I think we all know who got the last laugh now.

RJF - 1

EY - 0

Suck mah balls.

So I'm sittin in my cubicle and staring at my Revis Wallpaper and I start wondering.

When Darrelle Revis doesn't repeat his 2009 performance next season what happens? He had the greatest season a CB has ever had, and theres pretty much a 0% chance he does it again. So when he strings together a couple of games where he looks human, does Jetnation give him the Rhodes treatment? Does he get crucified for his off the field ventures into a clothing line and hip hop promotion of Kurtis the Kid? Or does he get a pass for a year? Will it come in 2011 maybe?

Might as well make one about Sanchez, and Greene too... eventually all players decline and eventually you will be right.

Revis did what he did with no stud pass rush, and in a new scheme.

Imagine how well he will do with Cro, hopefully a reall pass rush threat and his second year in the system.

I would expect him to have the same shut down ability with higher #s this season.

This is a good thread. Revis had one bad play against Tedd Ginn Jr. That was his 2009 season.

I agree that it is going to be impossible to duplicate. If he does they are going to have to put him in the hall of fame before he is done playing.

If anyone ever suggests Revis is the problem on this team, well that would mean the Jets were in pretty damn good shape. :-P

Talk about a Told You So moment...I remember last season, some time around November, I was telling EY about how some random stupido was going to start some thread about how Revis would fall off in 2010, only he was only starting it so he'd be able to bump it in 2011, only the poster would really be doing it out of some wild need for attention; and of course to go back to the initial and completely arbitrary argument of "Revis had da gweatest season evah in 2009!" Of course, EY laughed and then threw a golf ball at me that hit me right in the nuts, told me I was crazy and that nobody could possibly be that annoying, even insulted my mother, but I think we all know who got the last laugh now.

RJF - 1

EY - 0

Suck mah balls.

The only part of this I remember was the golf ball...

Agreed. DR can improve, which is super scary. The guy is unreal, but sometimes he gets a case of the brick-hands. I think he might have a slight issue with dropping his level of play a bit against inferior talent (ala Ginn and Sims-Walker). He's no slouch, mind you, but perhaps a little too c o c k y. I'll take that any day. My guess is this kid goes down as the greatest DB to play the game. He's that good. Just ask Rex...

revis.jpg

EDIT: The guy has his own island for ****'s sake...why are we even talking about this?

• 6 months later...

Agreed. DR can improve, which is super scary. The guy is unreal, but sometimes he gets a case of the brick-hands. I think he might have a slight issue with dropping his level of play a bit against inferior talent (ala Ginn and Sims-Walker). He's no slouch, mind you, but perhaps a little too c o c k y. I'll take that any day. My guess is this kid goes down as the greatest DB to play the game. He's that good. Just ask Rex...

revis.jpg

EDIT: The guy has his own island for ****'s sake...why are we even talking about this?

I can't help but notice how slim he looks here.

Archived