Coin flip for the stadium opener!

Jetsfan1015

This is getting weirder by the minute.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/2010/03/15/2010-03-15_giants_win_secret_coin_toss_to_play_first_game_in_new_meadowlands_stadium.html

If the NFL had any sense, they'd make the Jets home opener the first Sunday night game of the season.

Who is the more compelling team? Who will get the bigger ratings nationally right now?

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

figures they would "reward" the 1st game to the older franchise but man the way they closed it out you'd figure theyd get punished for looking so bad. and to let info leak out that no team reps were there. wow. whatever i could care less who has the 1st home game as long as we are not given the pats as our home opener for like the 4th year in a row. though we would win ;)

the one that isn't at risk of having games blacked out because of a lack of ticket sales.

:face:

All of your posts read the same to me:

I'm an obnoxious ass with nothing of value to add to the board except to throw out moronic rejoinders designed to elicit angry responses from those who are more knowledgable than I.

figures they would "reward" the 1st game to the older franchise but man the way they closed it out you'd figure theyd get punished for looking so bad. and to let info leak out that no team reps were there. wow. whatever i could care less who has the 1st home game as long as we are not given the pats as our home opener for like the 4th year in a row. though we would win ;)

I want the Patsy's early.

I feel very strongly about this. I emailed the NFL and the Jets and am going to post this to any board I am a member of.

I had intended to send this email a few weeks ago. Although I did not expect to actually be taken seriously, I was hoping that as a fan I could pleed my case just so you could hear both another side of the argument (in case the message had not gotten across before).

Although I will admit that I am far from unbiased in my sentiments, I have to say I think the Jets should be the ones to host the first regular season game at the new meadowlands stadium. Here are my reasons:

1) The last time the Jets opened at home was 2007. This was three years ago, meaning that if the Jets open up on the road again, it will be a minimum of four years between home openers (minimum of five if there is a lockout). A home opener is overdue.

2) Within the last ten years, the Jets have only opened at home four times. This means they've only opened at home 40% of the time. Consider that before the year 2000, the Jets only opened up at home four times previously since the move to the Meadowlands in 1984 (1989, 1991, 1993, 1999). When taking that account, the Jets have only opened up at home 30.7% of the time. Again, a home opener (and a true balance of home openers) is overdue.

3) I remember reading in the 90s a person who made the following comment about the old stadium(I'm paraphrasing): "Giants fans call the stadium Giants Stadium, whereas Jets fans call the stadium the Meadowlands. The name on the stadium says Giants Stadium so that is what it should be called." However the official name on the new stadium is "New Meadowlands Stadium" (temporary I know), but this has not stopped many people from calling the stadium the "New Giants Stadium" even though the Jets (and the fans like myself who are paying PSLs btw) the bill. Some do it with malice (such as Mike Francessca) whereas others do it out of carelessness (such as Howard David on Sirius NFL radio). If the Jets do not open the season at home, it will re-emphasize this even further. Put it this way, do you really think anybody will call it "Jets Stadium" if the Jets opened at home?

Again I know I'm looking at this from a biased stand point but to me there is only one argument the Giants have on their side in terms of why they should open and that is "The Jets closed out the old stadium". However, it is my contention that when the schedule was made it was assumed that the Giants would host a home playoff game (as they were super bowl contenders this time last year) and therefore the intention was they would host the last game anyway (a playoff game). The Jets should not be penalized because of this assumption.

I have to say that when I look at these arguments, I really can't see one solid reason the Jets should not open the year at home to christen the new stadium. I've always tried not to think about this, but it almost seems like the NFL holds the Giants organization and their fans in much higher regard than the Jets and their fans. The debacle that happened with last year's schedule (with the week 2 and 3 Giant games both being scheduled around the Jewish holidays, and the Jets not being extended that same courtesy) further adds to this perception.

I've now gotten word (I'm hoping is not true) that the NFL conducted the coin toss already without team officials present and the Jets lost. I have to say that considering the rumors the Giants were going to get the home opener anyway, I'm skeptical that there actually was a coin toss. If the Jets are to open 2010 on the road without at least a fair process to determine who opens at home (such as a coin toss that is witnessed by officials from both teams), than to me this will cement my opinion (and frankly the opinions of many others) that the NFL holds the Giants and their fans in higher regard. If this is the case, as a Jet fan:

-Why am I investing thousands of dollars in Personal Seat Licenses?

-Why am I investing thousands of dollars in season tickets?

-Why do I invest hundreds of dollars per year to watch the NFL and listen about the news (NFL Sunday Ticket, Sirius NFL Radio, etc)?

-Why do I invest hundreds of dollars per year on NFL gear (jerseys, shirts, etc)?

-Why do I invest time and effort in other activities involving the NFL (such as fantasy football)?

-Why do I invest time and effort to watch games that don't involve the Jets or their rivals (such as watching a Bears-Packers game for instance) when there are other programs that I could be watching (or other activities not involving television I could be doing)?

Why am I doing all of this if you're making it clear that you don't think as highly of me as you do a Giants fan in a similar position? And given this, why should I continue to support a league that takes any of its fans for granted (and not simply cash out the PSLs and move on to another league or sport)?

BTW, I'm posting a copy of this on all Jets message boards and sending out an email to as many people as I can. If you really want to make it clear that the Jets and their fans are held in the same regard that you hold Giants fans, I strongly urge you to reconsider.

I feel very strongly about this. I emailed the NFL and the Jets and am going to post this to any board I am a member of.

I had intended to send this email a few weeks ago. Although I did not expect to actually be taken seriously, I was hoping that as a fan I could pleed my case just so you could hear both another side of the argument (in case the message had not gotten across before).

Although I will admit that I am far from unbiased in my sentiments, I have to say I think the Jets should be the ones to host the first regular season game at the new meadowlands stadium. Here are my reasons:

1) The last time the Jets opened at home was 2007. This was three years ago, meaning that if the Jets open up on the road again, it will be a minimum of four years between home openers (minimum of five if there is a lockout). A home opener is overdue.

2) Within the last ten years, the Jets have only opened at home four times. This means they've only opened at home 40% of the time. Consider that before the year 2000, the Jets only opened up at home four times previously since the move to the Meadowlands in 1984 (1989, 1991, 1993, 1999). When taking that account, the Jets have only opened up at home 30.7% of the time. Again, a home opener (and a true balance of home openers) is overdue.

3) I remember reading in the 90s a person who made the following comment about the old stadium(I'm paraphrasing): "Giants fans call the stadium Giants Stadium, whereas Jets fans call the stadium the Meadowlands. The name on the stadium says Giants Stadium so that is what it should be called." However the official name on the new stadium is "New Meadowlands Stadium" (temporary I know), but this has not stopped many people from calling the stadium the "New Giants Stadium" even though the Jets (and the fans like myself who are paying PSLs btw) the bill. Some do it with malice (such as Mike Francessca) whereas others do it out of carelessness (such as Howard David on Sirius NFL radio). If the Jets do not open the season at home, it will re-emphasize this even further. Put it this way, do you really think anybody will call it "Jets Stadium" if the Jets opened at home?

Again I know I'm looking at this from a biased stand point but to me there is only one argument the Giants have on their side in terms of why they should open and that is "The Jets closed out the old stadium". However, it is my contention that when the schedule was made it was assumed that the Giants would host a home playoff game (as they were super bowl contenders this time last year) and therefore the intention was they would host the last game anyway (a playoff game). The Jets should not be penalized because of this assumption.

I have to say that when I look at these arguments, I really can't see one solid reason the Jets should not open the year at home to christen the new stadium. I've always tried not to think about this, but it almost seems like the NFL holds the Giants organization and their fans in much higher regard than the Jets and their fans. The debacle that happened with last year's schedule (with the week 2 and 3 Giant games both being scheduled around the Jewish holidays, and the Jets not being extended that same courtesy) further adds to this perception.

I've now gotten word (I'm hoping is not true) that the NFL conducted the coin toss already without team officials present and the Jets lost. I have to say that considering the rumors the Giants were going to get the home opener anyway, I'm skeptical that there actually was a coin toss. If the Jets are to open 2010 on the road without at least a fair process to determine who opens at home (such as a coin toss that is witnessed by officials from both teams), than to me this will cement my opinion (and frankly the opinions of many others) that the NFL holds the Giants and their fans in higher regard. If this is the case, as a Jet fan:

-Why am I investing thousands of dollars in Personal Seat Licenses?

-Why am I investing thousands of dollars in season tickets?

-Why do I invest hundreds of dollars per year to watch the NFL and listen about the news (NFL Sunday Ticket, Sirius NFL Radio, etc)?

-Why do I invest hundreds of dollars per year on NFL gear (jerseys, shirts, etc)?

-Why do I invest time and effort in other activities involving the NFL (such as fantasy football)?

-Why do I invest time and effort to watch games that don't involve the Jets or their rivals (such as watching a Bears-Packers game for instance) when there are other programs that I could be watching (or other activities not involving television I could be doing)?

Why am I doing all of this if you're making it clear that you don't think as highly of me as you do a Giants fan in a similar position? And given this, why should I continue to support a league that takes any of its fans for granted (and not simply cash out the PSLs and move on to another league or sport)?

BTW, I'm posting a copy of this on all Jets message boards and sending out an email to as many people as I can. If you really want to make it clear that the Jets and their fans are held in the same regard that you hold Giants fans, I strongly urge you to reconsider.

Email address appears to not be good (Roger.Goodell2@nfl.net). Probably have to try the phone to voice my displeasure, but does anybody have contact information (the PR department or something)?

I think there is a pretty good chance of NE @ Jets week 2 on prime time for the Jets opener. Either that or Balt week 2 in prime time.

I can very easily see us playing the Pats week 2 at home again I am not sure about the Monday night opener though ,I can see us closing our home game against the Ravens on a Mon.. or Thurs. night since it may have playoff implications.Now the question is since we lost the coin tois and we will open on the road again who will it be against ? I fiqure we won`t play 2 Div. games in a row and we are figuring to play in Detroit on T.G., so that leaves Pitt., Clev.,Chic., or the Bronco`s,I say we open against Mangini.

Be pissed if you want, but anyone who thought this would go differently is insane.

Word.

I just wish they tied up the loose ends before it hit. I mean the fact that Woody didn't even know it was happening is bizarre. Especially considering all the money in this sorta thing.

Sadly I did not think this would go differently. And that is the fundamental problem. I've had enough.

There is no reason why it would go differently. The Giants have a much wider appeal both in NYC and nationally. The only way the Jets stop getting second bidding is if the appeal level reverses or equalizes.

The same thing would happen if the Texans shared a stadium with the Dallas Cowboys.

There is no reason why it would go differently. The Giants have a much wider appeal both in NYC and nationally. The only way the Jets stop getting second bidding is if the appeal level reverses or equalizes.

The same thing would happen if the Texans shared a stadium with the Dallas Cowboys.

I'd agree with this if Geritol bought the naming rights.

Stop trolling. Do you really think that a Giant fan who lives outside of New York will only get to see the game if the Giants are at home (and not if they are on the road)? This thread is frankly none of your business so please stay f*** out.

NY Jets lose 'secret' coin flip to open new stadium

By Dave Hutchinson/The Star Ledger

March 15, 2010, 12:44PM

The Gaints won a "secret" coin toss at the league office on Monday morning to determine who would host the first regular-season game ever at the new Meadowlands stadium and Jets owner Woody Johnson is said to be livid because the team didn't have any representation there.

The results of the coin toss were first reported on the Daily News website.

The Jets badly wanted to host the game and have taken note of the fact that the Giants have played in the season-opener at the old Giants Stadium in 12 of the past 16 seasons.

It's odd that the Jets wouldn't be there after announcing the coin flip on Saturday night on their official website and then having the league vehemently deny the story on Sunday. Strange.

The Jets are believed to be determined to host the first game at the $1.6 billion football palace because they want to feel ownership although both teams will share the stadium. For their entire 26-year stay at the old Giants Stadium, the Jets felt like second-class citizens and are hellbent on not having that happen again.

The Jets declined to comment on the report today, deferring to the league. League spokesman Greg Aiello has not returned an e-mail or phone call.

What is going on with opening day?

By Dan Leberfeld

Posted Mar 14, 2010

The Jets claim that there will be a coin toss to determine which team will have the opening game at the new Meadowlands.

The Giants are saying this isn't true.

From what I hear, this is what the league is planning on doing.

They want one New York team to open at home on Sunday night, and the other to do the same the next night, on MNF. The league hasn't determined which team will fill each spot.

Archived