Coin flip for the stadium opener!

Jetsfan1015

I'd agree with this if Geritol bought the naming rights.

While the Jets might have a slightly younger demographic. There are more Giants fans in all of the age groups. And even more importantly the Giants fans are spending more money than the Jets fans...PSL sales is only one example.

It is just smart business....Lets say you owned a business and you had two groups of customers:

Group A: 1000 customers each who spend $100 per week

Group B: 500 customers each who spend $50 per week

And you could only make one group happy which group would matter more?

Jets are group B. But only a fool would care more about group B than group A.

Klecko - hush up the adults are trying to have a conversation.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
While the Jets might have a slightly younger demographic. There are more Giants fans in all of the age groups. And even more importantly the Giants fans are spending more money than the Jets fans...PSL sales is only one example.

It is just smart business....Lets say you owned a business and you had two groups of customers:

Your acting like the only people who watch football are Giant and Jet fans. What about all our awesome storylines and the national market. We have big mouthed Rex the magical prognosticator. We have hotdog's are good game food Mark Sanchez. Giants have more fans and more money but the Jets have better storylines. Not to mention we had more success recently. America is about what have you doen for me lately. America wants to see if the Jets are for real.

What is going on with opening day?

By Dan Leberfeld

Posted Mar 14, 2010

The Jets claim that there will be a coin toss to determine which team will have the opening game at the new Meadowlands.

The Giants are saying this isn't true.

From what I hear, this is what the league is planning on doing.

They want one New York team to open at home on Sunday night, and the other to do the same the next night, on MNF. The league hasn't determined which team will fill each spot.

I actually think that would be a really smart idea. Granted it would be a little messy from a setup standpoint, having two games in two days, but honestly an instance like that I don't think you can be too upset no matter which team gets Sunday vs. Monday when they both get to open the season at home (in prime time no less). I'm sure you'd get some complaints still, but its certainly a lot easier and fairer solution to the issue.

Your acting like the only people who watch football are Giant and Jet fans. What about all our awesome storylines and the national market. We have big mouthed Rex the magical prognosticator. We have hotdog's are good game food Mark Sanchez. Giants have more fans and more money but the Jets have better storylines. Not to mention we had more success recently. America is about what have you doen for me lately. America wants to see if the Jets are for real.

Dude. Don't waste your time with trollboy.

He'll be offline as soon as mommy comes home from work.

The decision who "opens" the stadium should have absolutely no basis in what the perception of the team is nationally or what their marketing trees look like.

The Jets and Giants both shared the costs in building the stadium, and if both deem having the first home opener is an utmost want, they should look to settle in an amicable way.

There should be an arrangement, that the loser of this deal gets something in return that is valuable to them (the next 2 home openers, if they deem that valuable?).

It has NOTHING to do with perception of the team. That is ridiculous. They are partners going into this venture.

The winner gets the home opener. The loser gets something of value in return.

What is your basis for this? I'm being dead serious, I'd love to know what statistical basis you have for saying that the Giants have such a significantly larger fan base who spend significantly more money each.

As far as your earlier comment about league-wide relevancy, the NFL is the ultimate example of "what have you done for me lately" and right now, the Jets are absolutely the more popular and intriguing story between Ryan, Sanchez and their playoff run (and now even from an offseason standpoint).

Hate Monday nights. Takes forever to get home, since invariably the imbeciles who run the Port Authority decide to shut down a bridge or tunnel every time we have a weeknight home game.

Still what ever. Both teams get 8 home games.

Would love to get a late season Saturday night but would prefer not to play Christmas nor New Years(which both fall on a Saturday this year).

Twitter:

BobGlauber Breaking: Giants and Jets to play at home on opening weekend. Giants on Sunday, Jets on Monday. Makes sense.

Works for me, I'm working that Sunday, off on that Monday! :mrgreen:

That works with the split.

Giants on Sunday and Jets on Monday.

The key will be, though: who starts the season with 2 straight road games week 2 and 3???

Or will someone have 2 straight home games week 1 & 2???

Good news, got a response to my email.

Jacob: We just announced the following. We appreciate your interest.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

3/15/10

NFL OPENING WEEKEND TO FEATURE HOME GAMES

FOR BOTH JETS AND GIANTS

Jets to Host First Game at New Stadium in Preseason

The New York Jets and New York Giants both will play at home in their new Meadowlands Stadium on the opening weekend of the 2010 regular season, the NFL announced today.

The Giants will play on Sunday afternoon, September 12, and the Jets will play in the first nationally televised Monday Night Football game of the season on September 13. The NFL is completing the final stages of the 2010 schedule. The opponents for the Jets and Giants Kickoff Weekend home openers will be announced soon.

In addition, the NFL announced that the Jets will host the first NFL game at the new stadium during the preseason in August.

Under the NFL Constitution and By-Laws, the commissioner is responsible for determining the playing schedule.

"After extensive discussions with both teams, we have come up with what we believe is a unique approach for celebrating the opening of the new Meadowlands Stadium," said Commissioner Roger Goodell.

Commissioner Goodell noted that both the Giants and Jets ownership felt passionately for their fans about being the first to play at home on the opening weekend of the regular season and could not agree on how to resolve the issue, including whether to conduct a coin flip. The commissioner said that, since both teams presented good reasons for playing first, he concluded that the fairest resolution would be to play both teams at home on the opening weekend and to make his decision on which team plays on Sunday by flipping a coin. The commissioner flipped the coin last Friday with his staff at the NFL office. He then notified both teams on Friday of his decision and that he flipped a coin to determine the team playing on Sunday.

The only time the Giants and Jets both opened a regular-season on the same weekend at Giants Stadium was in 1991 when the Jets opened against Tampa Bay on Sunday, September 1, and the Giants hosted the 49ers on Monday night, September 2.

# # #

They also get a short week of preparation for their week 2 foe.

Anyway.....

That's unavoidable, SD, because the Jets have a couple of primetime games scheduled.

From what I remember there is at least 3 primetime games the Jets are slotted for.

That's unavoidable, SD, because the Jets have a couple of primetime games scheduled.

From what I remember there is at least 3 primetime games the Jets are slotted for.

I know, they are unavoidable, but I would just as soon not have the hassle of those games.

Such are the "rewards" of sucess

Best result.

Jets get to play at night with the new stadium showing off it's special lighting effects.

I really give credit to the NFL on this one, they really came up with the most fair result possible. Both teams get to open the season at home and while one does technically get the first game, the other gets a primetime game in return and the first preseason game. Sure you'll still have people complain, but outside of a Jets / Giants game with both being named the home team (obviously completely impossible), there would be no set of circumstances that wouldn't make someone unhappy. Hell, even in that instance I'm sure you would still have people complaining.

Bottom line, both teams get to start the season at home and both teams have different benefits in regards to kicking things off with the new stadium. Tough to want much more than that.

I really give credit to the NFL on this one, they really came up with the most fair result possible. Both teams get to open the season at home and while one does technically get the first game, the other gets a primetime game in return and the first preseason game. Sure you'll still have people complain, but outside of a Jets / Giants game with both being named the home team (obviously completely impossible), there would be no set of circumstances that wouldn't make someone unhappy. Hell, even in that instance I'm sure you would still have people complaining.

Bottom line, both teams get to start the season at home and both teams have different benefits in regards to kicking things off with the new stadium. Tough to want much more than that.

Agreed. I was upset as anyone when I heard the original news this morning, but this gives the best of both worlds. The Giants get to open the stadium, but the Jets get to host the first prime time game at the stadium.

Agreed. I was upset as anyone when I heard the original news this morning, but this gives the best of both worlds. The Giants get to open the stadium, but the Jets get to host the first prime time game at the stadium.

Fair result in my book. I just hope you guys don't open up against the Pats as that would F me over.

In essence, the Jets received more respect for being awarded the first NFL game there, and for being chosen for the prime time Monday night pedestal.

Best result.

Jets get to play at night with the new stadium showing off it's special lighting effects.

Plus fireworks. The Giants only get a second-rate Sunday afternoon game.

Hope they lose big.

Plus fireworks. The Giants only get a second-rate Sunday afternoon game.

Hope they lose big.

And think of this: the Jets closed out Giants Stadium in primetime and open up the New Stadium in primetime.

That's sweet!!!

Fair result in my book. I just hope you guys don't open up against the Pats as that would F me over.

I would say Pats is probably one of the only 4 likely opponents, if not top 2. Its going to be either the Pats, Dolphins, Ravens or Vikings. Pats or Ravens are probably the most likely, as while Jets/Dolphins on MNF always seem to be good games, I can't see that being opening weekend and with the Vikings the risk of no Favre would make that game completely pointless.

In some ways that wouldn't shock me, but in other ways I wouldn't be suprised if they didn't try to save a Jets-Pats game for SNF. Remember, MNF is no longer the prime event, so it wouldn't shock me to see Miami either.

Archived