Coin flip for the stadium opener!

Jetsfan1015

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In some ways that wouldn't shock me, but in other ways I wouldn't be suprised if they didn't try to save a Jets-Pats game for SNF. Remember, MNF is no longer the prime event, so it wouldn't shock me to see Miami either.

I hope its Miami and not the Pats.

I would say Pats is probably one of the only 4 likely opponents, if not top 2. Its going to be either the Pats, Dolphins, Ravens or Vikings. Pats or Ravens are probably the most likely, as while Jets/Dolphins on MNF always seem to be good games, I can't see that being opening weekend and with the Vikings the risk of no Favre would make that game completely pointless.

Saints-Vikes probably opens the season on Thursday night.

Ravens would be something of a marquee game. Two AFC wildcards, the Rex vs. Baltimore factor, the two young QB's. Good matchup.

Question:

I have a friend who is a season ticket holder. She sells the tickets individually. I know the schedule isn't out yet, but I usally tell her to hold some certain games for me. Does anyone know who we might open up against week 1? I'm guess New England or Miami.

I always wanted to go to MNF. Always.

One good thing about MNF in the first week of the season; MNF has 2 games to open the season, an eastern game starting at 7PM and a western game starting at 10:15PM. So upside is we get a night game which figures to be over by 10:15 PM. That's much more resonable than those 8:45-9Pm MNF starts the rest of the season.

After the Rapelessburger case, Pittsburgh @ New Orleans for the opener on Thursday is no longer looking like a possibility, rumor is it will be Minnesota @ New Orleans so that rules out a Jets/Vikings match-up.

$ is on New England, with Baltimore and Miami being two distant second and third choices.

We will know before March 25th, as the Week 1 Primetime Games will be announced during the Owners Meetings (March 21st-24th).

Woody Johnson flips over coin flip

By Rich Cimini

Jets owner Woody Johnson released this rather shocking statement tonight, criticizing the NFL for the way it handled the coin flip to determine which team gets to open the New Meadowlands.

"An NFL coin toss has a few fundamental elements that are missing here, most notably the presence of the teams involved. That's how it's always done in the League, whether it

Woody Johnson flips over coin flip

By Rich Cimini

Jets owner Woody Johnson released this rather shocking statement tonight, criticizing the NFL for the way it handled the coin flip to determine which team gets to open the New Meadowlands.

"An NFL coin toss has a few fundamental elements that are missing here, most notably the presence of the teams involved. That's how it's always done in the League, whether it

When I first heard the news about the "coin toss" today, I was livid (as you can tell from my email I sent to the NFL in this thread). When I found out that we would host the first MNF game (and hence host the first prime time game at the stadium), I was pretty happy and found it to be a good compromise.

As I've had time to stand back from the situation, I have to say that although I am happy with the result, I really do not like the process of how we got there. It totally reeks of a back door, good ol boys club deal that the NFL front office made with Giants ownership. It doesn't feel like the process is legit and frankly its very troublesome. I think if they had simply said from the beginning that one team would play on Sunday afternoon and the other would play on MNF the next night (both hosting) that it would have been fine, but this simply feels like an appeasement move. It doesn't sound like Woody Johnson is entirely happy with this even now, and frankly I don't blame him.

I know many people took an attitude of "who cares", but I just simply do not get this line of thinking. As has been discussed, the Jets haven't opened at home in three years and have opened only 30% of the time since they moved to New Jersey. Do you not smelly something fishy with that? With all due respect it feels like you either don't know that you're getting screwed or are just accepting that as a way of life. I watch football to try to get AWAY from this BS. (Alright I'll admit that I'm sounding a tad melodramatic with this last paragraph ;) ).

Like I said, I'm happy with the result, but the process to get there stinks.

The entire country will be watching us on MNF. Not too much will be watching the Giants. We ended with a prime-time game and we'll begin with one.

I have to agree with Ghost.

So we didn't get the 1st game of the regular season at the new stadium...

We do get:

• The 1st Monday Night Football game of the season

• And the 1st MNF in Meadowlands Stadium History!

[*]A half time show at night that should rock

• Can it be Springsteen?

[*]National coverage, though it's ESPN, that should appeal to Millions

[*]And we still have cheerleaders!

I think we got the better deal...

Roger Goodell initially did not like the coin toss idea Woody came up with and said he would decide, not a coin, however he ultimately does the coin toss ( ALLEGEDLY) and the Giants won. Woody thinks its the commish shafting the JETS as usual.

Will woody get fined by the league for casting aspersions on Roger Goodell, suggesting he was dishonest? Go Woody!!

Will woody get fined by the league for casting aspersions on Roger Goodell, suggesting he was dishonest? Go Woody!!

A coin toss at the new stadium would have generated millions in potential PSL investors.

Just think about the Free commercialization of the new stadium, just over a coin toss...

That's why Woody's peeved!

If there was to be a legit coin toss with the teams present, the correct way would be to let the winner choose between the Sunday game or the MNF/first preseason game combo.

In which case, I'd pick the hipper MNF prime time spectacular and give the geeky Gints the nonspecial Sunday afternoon game.

The Jets got the best of both worlds.

Maybe Goodell is lying to the Gints and telling them they won with the sh!tty Sunday game.

I know many people took an attitude of "who cares", but I just simply do not get this line of thinking. As has been discussed, the Jets haven't opened at home in three years and have opened only 30% of the time since they moved to New Jersey. Do you not smelly something fishy with that? With all due respect it feels like you either don't know that you're getting screwed or are just accepting that as a way of life.

The minute the Jets start getting any respect, I'm outta here! The only reason I root for this team is to reinforce my ever comfortable inferiority complex.

Here is the Jets response to coin flip gate:

Coins are tossed with the flip of a thumb. “The Coin Toss Story” that appeared on newyorkjets.com on Saturday night had legs that carried it into the next two days of news cycles.

Today the NFL responded to the story with a release that explained what the league will do about the Jets’ and Giants’ shared desire to play in the first regular-season home NFL game in the New Meadowlands Stadium in the fall.

And the league’s response prompted a response by Jets owner Woody Johnson this evening.

The news in the NFL’s release is that the Jets and Giants both will play at home in the new stadium on the opening weekend of the 2010 regular season. The Giants will play first, on Sunday afternoon, Sept. 12, and the Jets will play in the first nationally televised Monday night game of the season on Sept. 13. The opponents for both of those games will be announced soon.

Commissioner Roger Goodell explained the decision to give the Giants the first game and the Jets the second game to be played in the NMS.

"After extensive discussions with both teams," Goodell said, "we have come up with what we believe is a unique approach for celebrating the opening of the New Meadowlands Stadium."

Goodell said both Jets and Giants ownership felt passionately for their fans about being the first to play at home on the opening weekend of the regular season and couldn't agree on how to resolve the issue, including whether to conduct a coin flip.

The commissioner said he concluded that the fairest resolution would be to play both teams at home on the opening weekend and to make his decision on which team plays on Sunday by flipping a coin. Goodell flipped the coin last Friday with his staff at the NFL office. He then notified both teams Friday of his decision and that he flipped a coin to determine the team that would be playing on Sunday.

Johnson explained his thoughts on this procedure in a statement released by the team this evening.

"An NFL coin toss has a few fundamental elements that are missing here, most notably the presence of the teams involved. That's how it's always done in the league, whether it's determining the order of the draft or deciding who's going to kick off the game,” Johnson said.

"When the issue of which team would be hosting the first regular-season game could not be resolved on the merits, I suggested a coin toss as the fairest way to resolve this issue. The league rejected that idea. Then, I was told on Friday that a coin toss had taken place at the league office and that the Jets had lost.

“We rejected a process in which neither team was present. The league departed from our time-honored tradition and declined the opportunity to set the matter straight with a transparent process."

Besides revealing when the stadium mates would be playing their regular-season openers, the NFL also announced that the Jets will host the first NFL game of any kind at the new stadium during the preseason in August. The opponent for that game will also be announced soon.

Here is the article I wrote about it earlier;

Giants Get Home Opener; Woody Johnson Cries

Once a cherry is popped, it is popped. There is nothing you can do to bring it back.

The pre-season game, in all reality is the unveiling. That is when the true wraps come off.

I remember when Citizens Bank Park opened in Philly a number of years ago. I made sure that I was at an Exhibition opener of the Stadium. Opening Day, I did not care so much about.

Come week 5 or 6, nobody will care so much who or where we played week 1, but rather we won or lost. That is what will forever be etched in the record books.

Archived