Trading Leon Washington will be a HUGE mistake

Ghost

The Jets need all the weapons they can offensively. I know it's a deep draft and some of you guys will take a 2nd rounder quick, but this is Leon Washington we're talking about. This guy drives defensive coordinators nuts. He has done a lot for this team and he's a great player.

It really seems to me that everyone is forgetting about what he has done for this team. We need him. I know he's 28, but he doesn't have a lot of millage on him. I love Leon Washington, and I think trading him is a mistake.

If Leon stays, he's a special teamer and LT's backup in 2010. LT came to the Jets for the heavier workload they offered him. Sure, the Jets could've been lying, but why would they lie to pay their 3rd string back $5.1M over two years? Doesn't make any sense. They plan to employ LT on 3rd downs and in short yardage this year.

Jets will pass more this year than they did in '09, too, and there will only be so many touches available for the backs. Even rushing the 60% of the time last season, the Jets never had three backs operating in the same game - unless you count Danny Woodhead mopup duty.

And what facet of Leon's game would the Jets miss if he were gone? LT catches the ball better, Brad Smith runs the wildcat better, three guys on the Jets returned kickoffs for a better average than Leon last year - and they'll have more options there this year. Last year, Leon had no big plays, and failed to score a single TD.

So do you keep him around in a small role this season with option to pay him or lose him for nothing in '11? Or do you take what you can for him now?

Leon is coming off a MAJOR injury and is going to be 28 before the start of the season. He also produced no TDs in 7 games last year... 7 games where he matched his carries from the previous full season. He also had 0 reception TDs. His KRs have been trending down and his 24.1 yards per return would have been TWO yards shy of being 10th in the league in that category. He was always an average punt returner at best.

I love Leon but he didn't exactly shine with a heavier load last year and statistically he has been regressing as a returner. If you can get a high 3rd or better for him it would be idiotic to not trade him.

I would like to see Leon stay and the Jets employ what the SD Chargers did on third downs Sanchez in shotgun with Leon to his left and LT to his right with Edwards, Cotchery, and Keller split out that will give D-Coordinators nightmares just like it did to them when they played SD last year.

If Leon stays, he's a special teamer and LT's backup in 2010. LT came to the Jets for the heavier workload they offered him. Sure, the Jets could've been lying, but why would they lie to pay their 3rd string back $5.1M over two years? Doesn't make any sense. They plan to employ LT on 3rd downs and in short yardage this year.

Why not? Everybody wanted to pay Leon $5-6M per to be a third string back last offseason. We should be worried about paying Tomlinson 1/2 that? It's an uncapped year no less. If the right deal arises, jump at it, but if not? **** it, keep him. No guarantee that Leon will be an UFA next season either. Hell, there's no guarantee there will be a next season.

Why not? Everybody wanted to pay Leon $5-6M per to be a third string back last offseason. We should be worried about paying Tomlinson 1/2 that? It's an uncapped year no less. If the right deal arises, jump at it, but if not? **** it, keep him. No guarantee that Leon will be an UFA next season either. Hell, there's no guarantee there will be a next season.

Leon wasn't penciled in as the third RB last season when he was negotiating a contract. He was the number two that everyone wanted to give more touches to.

A lot has changed since the Jets were negotiating with Leon's idiot agent last offsesason. Shonn Greene emerged as a legit #1 RB, Brad Smith established himself as the perfect weapon to run the option (I refuse to call it by that other name) and as an effective kick returner and the Jets have now signed LaDanian Tomlinson.

I would love to keep Leon, but if a team really is willing to part with a second to sign him as an RFA or better yet, the Broncos are willing to take Leon as part of a deal for Brandon Marshall that helps the Jets keep their first round pick, the Jets have to jump at it.

Leon wasn't penciled in as the third RB last season when he was negotiating a contract. He was the number two that everyone wanted to give more touches to.

A lot has changed since the Jets were negotiating with Leon's idiot agent last offsesason. Shonn Greene emerged as a legit #1 RB, Brad Smith established himself as the perfect weapon to run the option (I refuse to call it by that other name) and as an effective kick returner and the Jets have now signed LaDanian Tomlinson.

I would love to keep Leon, but if a team really is willing to part with a second to sign him as an RFA or better yet, the Broncos are willing to take Leon as part of a deal for Brandon Marshall that helps the Jets keep their first round pick, the Jets have to jump at it.

I agree with most of this but a couple of points:

1. You left out the most important difference, this year to last. Leon had a compound fracture of his leg.

2. There is a big difference between taking a 2nd or Brandon Marshall for the guy and the fire sale that Slats is predicting.

3. I think the kick return **** is over blown. There were rule changes and it was obvious that the team and Westoff weren't prepared. If you take away Brad Smith's TD his numbers were considerably worse than Leon's. I don't advocate that, but let's not act like the guy was a shining upgrade at KR all season.

I don't care about the money, but I think the Jets do. I don't think they'd sign LT for that money unless they really planned to make him the team's #2 RB. And if LT's #2, what's Leon's role?

As Klecko pointed out, when we were talking about big money for Leon last year we were talking about a big expanded role for him with Greene spending the year on the bench. A lot has changed since then.

2. There is a big difference between taking a 2nd or Brandon Marshall for the guy and the fire sale that Slats is predicting.

Haha! Who's predicting a fire sale? I am saying they take the best offer for the guy before they get nothing for him in '11. It's business.

I agree with most of this but a couple of points:

1. You left out the most important difference, this year to last. Leon had a compound fracture of his leg.

3. I think the kick return **** is over blown. There were rule changes and it was obvious that the team and Westoff weren't prepared. If you take away Brad Smith's TD his numbers were considerably worse than Leon's. I don't advocate that, but let's not act like the guy was a shining upgrade at KR all season.

I agree with this. Not to mention J-Co was pretty terrible at returning punts. Leon is a threat to take it to the house on both KO and Punts. And Brad was a hell of a lead blocker in those KO scenario's for Leon. He does that better than he does actually returning the ball.

and if you take away peyton's superbowl ring he is dan marino.

I don't care about the money, but I think the Jets do. I don't think they'd sign LT for that money unless they really planned to make him the team's #2 RB. And if LT's #2, what's Leon's role?

As Klecko pointed out, when we were talking about big money for Leon last year we were talking about a big expanded role for him with Greene spending the year on the bench. A lot has changed since then.

Haha! Who's predicting a fire sale? I am saying they take the best offer for the guy before they get nothing for him in '11. It's business.

That's why I said predicting. I think we both want the same thing, but you expect the Jets to do something different. If they take a 2nd or even a 3rd or part of a deal for Marshall fine. If you are talking about a 4th or 5th your getting well into fire sale territory IMO.

A lot has changed since Leon was looking for that long term deal last offseason, but the amount he is going to end up signing for is going to be a hell of a lot less too. The 2nd round tender isn't too much and nobody is even sure the guy will be ready to run by the preseason. He's supposed to be ready for the start of the season. He's not exactly ready to put on a sterling workout right now. Who the hell is going to blow him away with a deal?

The 2011 season is in jeopardy as far as I'm concerned. The rules are so uncertain that right now I treat this year as all in.

That's why I said predicting. I think we both want the same thing, but you expect the Jets to do something different. If they take a 2nd or even a 3rd or part of a deal for Marshall fine. If you are talking about a 4th or 5th your getting well into fire sale territory IMO.

A lot has changed since Leon was looking for that long term deal last offseason, but the amount he is going to end up signing for is going to be a hell of a lot less too. The 2nd round tender isn't too much and nobody is even sure the guy will be ready to run by the preseason. He's supposed to be ready for the start of the season. He's not exactly ready to put on a sterling workout right now. Who the hell is going to blow him away with a deal?

The 2011 season is in jeopardy as far as I'm concerned. The rules are so uncertain that right now I treat this year as all in.

If the Jets take anything less than a 3rd this year, I'd think that Tanny would also be getting one of those conditional picks in 2011 to go along with it.

Anyone interested in Leon will go over his medical records and make their determination based on that. If this was an ACL, I'd be more concerned about him returning to form than the break. I think it'll be another week or two before anyone makes a move, just to have the most info that they can, But it's a move that'll be made before the RFA period is up, IMHO.

I agree with this. Not to mention J-Co was pretty terrible at returning punts. Leon is a threat to take it to the house on both KO and Punts. And Brad was a hell of a lead blocker in those KO scenario's for Leon. He does that better than he does actually returning the ball.

Seriously do you watch the games, or just look at stats?

Cotchery returned punts because Leonard had broken hand and Cotch does not

drop anything.

The Jets need all the weapons they can offensively. I know it's a deep draft and some of you guys will take a 2nd rounder quick, but this is Leon Washington we're talking about. This guy drives defensive coordinators nuts. He has done a lot for this team and he's a great player.

It really seems to me that everyone is forgetting about what he has done for this team. We need him. I know he's 28, but he doesn't have a lot of millage on him. I love Leon Washington, and I think trading him is a mistake.

you know ghost i am right with you here.

since the beggining of his career people have been dissing Leon. "he is too small" "he is only a special teamer" yadda yadda yadda.

I think schotty ( who all of a sudden is a genuius? LOL! some of you have short memories.. you all wanted to kill schotty and he only got better when Rex put more effort into the offense .. and by then Leon was gone for the year) NEVER used Leon to his full potential.

Whenever Leon got the ball, i thought something incredible could happen. I never thought that would happen with TJ and i dont think i will feel the same way about LT.

Oh yeah, Leon also had a broken leg..not a torn ACL which could limit his ability to move more.

He is also a character guy. I think that is important too.

yeah i am a LEON homer.. but also remember that last year when he didnt get a contract.. he didnt hold out..he was at everything. I went to the taste of the NFL and some of the players didnt show up.. Leon was there. He was in the midst of contract negociations. How many other players would go to something not mandatory?

I just think Leon is something special, but of course i am not an expert like a lot of you guys. :D

If the Jets take anything less than a 3rd this year, I'd think that Tanny would also be getting one of those conditional picks in 2011 to go along with it.

Anyone interested in Leon will go over his medical records and make their determination based on that. If this was an ACL, I'd be more concerned about him returning to form than the break. I think it'll be another week or two before anyone makes a move, just to have the most info that they can, But it's a move that'll be made before the RFA period is up, IMHO.

We'll see. I'm just not sure what kind of deal Leon is looking at. If it's not much, they just might match. Generally I'd have to agree, particularly on the timing. I'm just not so sure it's a foregone conclusion. The team has been very careful about covering themselves since the Kendall disaster. LT can be looked at as a combination of Jones replacement and Leon insurance.

Seriously do you watch the games, or just look at stats?

Cotchery returned punts because Leonard had broken hand and Cotch does not

drop anything.

Thats right. Leonhard was taking punts over Leon. Forgot about that.

But I actually have never watched a game of Jets Football and only look at stats, which is ironic because J-Co was actually better statistically then Leonhard in the PR dept.

Crazy.

Trading for Brandon Marshall would be a bigger mistake.

Haha, I know you bought the jersey.

Jokes aside, I personally don't care what happens with Leon either way. I'm a huge skeptic with this injury and think he's a gamble either way. Don't care what the reports say.

If the Jets are indeed considering trading Leon, the only reason I would see is that they don't think he will be the same player he was before the injury. If they trade him for anything, that will be the reason.

Tanny and Rex see Leon frequently in the offseason ... We don't.

I hope Leon is the "old" Leon, but I'll trust their judgement on this one.

I love Leon but if they were offered anything higher than a 3rd round pick for him that would be hard to pass up. Despite the fact that he's very good RB's teams seem to be able to find guys that approximate his type of impact relatively easily, compared to other positions at least.

Why do people think the Jets are trading Leon?

There's absolutely no basis for that opinion.

If the Jets fail to match an offersheet then they'll get a 2nd rounder. But that's not trading him.

Leon will be a Jets in 2010 unless another team is stupid enough to give him a big time contract.

unless they get that 2nd round tender for leon, he's staying. either way we need a 3rd back whether it's leon or someone else.

personally if leon is healthy i like the versatility he brings to the position and i don't think it's redundant with LT's talents.

if the run/pass ration is 35/25

greene = 15-20 carries

LT = 7-10 carries

LW = 7-10 carries

add another 2-3 touches/game to LT in receptions.

add KR for LW + some wildcat, reverses and receptions as well.

Why do people think the Jets are trading Leon?

There's absolutely no basis for that opinion.

If the Jets fail to match an offersheet then they'll get a 2nd rounder. But that's not trading him.

Leon will be a Jets in 2010 unless another team is stupid enough to give him a big time contract.

Shonn Greene - First and second down.

LaDainian Tomlinson - Third down and short yardage.

Brad Smith - The package formerly known as the Seminole and KOR's.

Leon Washington - On the block for best offer.

Their #3 RB will be either Chauncey, a late cut over the summer, or -maybe- a draft pick.

Their #3 RB will be either Chauncey, a late cut over the summer, or -maybe- a draft pick.

This would be the best that the Jets could hope for, right now.

only for a 2nd rounder, which will not happen. the Jets will be happy to have leon this year. besides it's a long season.

JetsBabe tweets:

emesola From what I hear, Leon Washington is "not happy" about the LT signing. Source says Washington feels more and more deflated each year. #Jets

Don't know why he would've headed into last year deflated, not surprised that the Jets signing LT has him feeling bummed. Could motivate him to get an offer sheet signed, or go to the Jets and ask them to trade him.

JetsBabe tweets:

Don't know why he would've headed into last year deflated, not surprised that the Jets signing LT has him feeling bummed. Could motivate him to get an offer sheet signed, or go to the Jets and ask them to trade him.

He felt deflated last year because he's an idiot and felt that 5 mil a year was not good enough compensation. He's a good player but he overvalues his worth by quite a bit.

Archived