Sump Pump Question

Garb

So, today I discover that between Saturday nite and today my basement flooded - shame on me for not checking everyday during this monsoon - anyway, I have water up to my ankles.

1) How screwed am I?

2) How do these sump pump thingies work?

3) How much do these sump pump thingies cost?

4) Is the plumber going to rob me blind?

So, today I discover that between Saturday nite and today my basement flooded - shame on me for not checking everyday during this monsoon - anyway, I have water up to my ankles.

1) How screwed am I?

cheap here is a 60 busker from ace hardware.. get portable, submerisble . Attach to a garden hose that then you put hose out basement window so it empties..

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1278824&kw=sump+pump&origkw=sump+pump&searchId=46643593633

You're better off renting one from Home Depot or Lowes.

well, if u have some minor flooding periodically, then 60-100 bucks is a good invesntment to have it hanging around for immediate use as opposed to going out to rent..especially if needed late at night,,

and sometimes garb, once water finds its way in, it comes alot more after that

This is a simple problem to deal with, but it's stressful because of the water.

Do you have a sump? (it's a hole in the floor like a trash can, where the water flows).

If you have a sump:

-buy a pump for 50 bucks.

-a handy relative/friend should be able to grab some pvc (plastic pipe) and rig

a line up the wall and out the back in about 2hrs.

If you don't have a sump:

-buy the pump for 50 bucks (JUST GET ONE..they're really handy)

-get enough flexible hose to run out the basement window. They'll have a 25-footer in a bag for about 10bucks.

voila.

Pump choice:

-get the short stubby submersable kind. (most are like this)

-there's a floaty-ball thingy hanging off the side like a kiwi on a string. Lift it up, it pumps. drop it, it doesn't pump.

Garb

I have two sump pumps in my basement-if you have a regular plumber let him install one -believe me make the investment-I had a flooded basement when one of my broke a couple of years ago-not funny to deal with -I commiserate.

1) How screwed am I?

Sorry to hear about this T. :( I replaced mine about 9 years ago. I can't remember how much it was but it was fairly simple to replace and took me about 1/2 an hour. They come in different horsepower models from 1/3 HP on up if I recall.

This is a simple problem to deal with, but it's stressful because of the water.

Do you have a sump? (it's a hole in the floor like a trash can, where the water flows).

If you have a sump:

-buy a pump for 50 bucks.

-a handy relative/friend should be able to grab some pvc (plastic pipe) and rig

a line up the wall and out the back in about 2hrs.

If you don't have a sump:

-buy the pump for 50 bucks (JUST GET ONE..they're really handy)

-get enough flexible hose to run out the basement window. They'll have a 25-footer in a bag for about 10bucks.

voila.

Pump choice:

-get the short stubby submersable kind. (most are like this)

-there's a floaty-ball thingy hanging off the side like a kiwi on a string. Lift it up, it pumps. drop it, it doesn't pump.

Good point ! I assumed she had one but perhaps not. Mine has a flexible connector hose that went from the PVC to the pump. A couple of Gates hose clamps made the replacement fairly simple. Of course I wasn't standing in a foot of water at the time. :biggrin:

Archived