Has NY tossed Super Bowl chances away? Tampa Tribune

Kentucky Jet

they'll never host a superbowl in a cold weather city that has an open stadium.

You are correct Sir.

The NFL has a cold weather rule where the SB game will not be hosted in a region/city where temps are less than 50 degrees for the game.

NY Fed up big time not doming the new house. I like football outdoors too, and in any climate, but from a revenue generating standpoint it made so much sense.

You are correct Sir.

The NFL has a cold weather rule where the SB game will not be hosted in a region/city where temps are less than 50 degrees for the game.

NY Fed up big time not doming the new house. I like football outdoors too, and in any climate, but from a revenue generating standpoint it made so much sense.

No they don't.

I'm no Goodell fan, but to think he'd shoot down the Super Bowl bid strictly on the basis of Woody ripping him is absolutely moronic. The guy isn't THAT big of a douche. It doesn't mean they'll get it, but if not that won't be the reason.

No, but it makes for an more interesting story than not wanting to play the game in cold weather.

No they don't.

Yep :Nuts:

The NFL has temporarily waived a requirement that Super Bowl sites must either have temperatures above 50 degrees in February or have a domed stadium. League Commissioner Roger Goodell also has spoken favorably about the idea of a New Jersey Super Bowl despite the risk that a major snowstorm could wreak havoc with fans flying to the game from around the country.

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/031510_NJ_lawmakers_to_push_for_2014_Super_Bowl_at_Meadowlands_Stadium_.html

I like football outdoors too, and in any climate, but from a revenue generating standpoint it made so much sense.

Explain how a Super Bowl in an outdoors stadium in the NYC-metro area is worse from a revenue generating standpoint than a Super Bowl in a dome in Detroit or Minnesota.

Thanks.

Your own Bobby Kraft is pushing a Meadowlands SB hard, presumably so he can get one for himself one day. I think it happens.

I'm no Goodell fan, but to think he'd shoot down the Super Bowl bid strictly on the basis of Woody ripping him is absolutely moronic. The guy isn't THAT big of a douche. It doesn't mean they'll get it, but if not that won't be the reason.

Even if he was, he still has to wash the Mara's balls. This will have 0 effect on the commissioner's recommendation.

Yep :Nuts:

The NFL has temporarily waived a requirement that Super Bowl sites must either have temperatures above 50 degrees in February or have a domed stadium. League Commissioner Roger Goodell also has spoken favorably about the idea of a New Jersey Super Bowl despite the risk that a major snowstorm could wreak havoc with fans flying to the game from around the country.

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/031510_NJ_lawmakers_to_push_for_2014_Super_Bowl_at_Meadowlands_Stadium_.html

So you're saying they don't have that rule. That's what I thought.

Explain how a Super Bowl in an outdoors stadium in the NYC-metro area is worse from a revenue generating standpoint than a Super Bowl in a dome in Detroit or Minnesota.

Thanks.

Revenue in terms of other venues. IE: Jerry Jones.

Concerts, NBA Allstar, NFL Combine, Soccer, Arena Football

Your own Bobby Kraft is pushing a Meadowlands SB hard, presumably so he can get one for himself one day. I think it happens.

I think it does not happen.

Goodell has been a complete disaster imo.

What made Tagliabue successful is that he kept his hands off what was already a great product.

Goodell just cares about trying to improve the bottom line...regardless how the true fans feel.

It sucks

One fundemental flaw in this whole discussion is the premise the Godell decides where the superbowl is. He doesn't. It is voted on by the owners.

If Godell is upset with the Jets he could get revenge other ways, but not via a superbowl that will never happen anyway.

From the article:

Goodell's recommendation to owners is considered critical to the New York bid.

Reading is fundamental. :rolleyes:

What made Tagliabue successful is that he kept his hands off what was already a great product.

Goodell just cares about trying to improve the bottom line...regardless how the true fans feel.

It sucks

As bad as Goodell has been, I think Tagliabue was actually much worse. The same good ol boys network that we saw this past weekend was even worse when he was commissioner. The one thing he managed to do was make the owner's much richer, but as a fan can't say I give two s***s about that.

they'll never host a superbowl in a cold weather city that has an open stadium.

Truth. If we were hit with a blizzard like a few weeks ago during Super Bowl weekend it would be a complete debacle.You would have thousands of fans and media traveling in dangerous conditions. Yes, statistically the odds are against it happening, but it's still a possibility. It's a stupid idea.

...the May vote is likely to come down to a competition between Tampa Bay and the Meadowlands, where the average high in early February is 39 degrees.

I just now realized that this is from a Tampa newspaper. :lol:

It sucks

Like Tags insisting Johnson hire moron Herman Edwards after the NFL deemed his offer better than that of the Dolans?

Like Tags insisting Johnson hire moron Herman Edwards after the NFL deemed his offer better than that of the Dolans?

That was never proven to be true.

But, Tags was mostly hands off.

Goodell has moved the draft from Noon Saturday- to 3 Saturday now to prime time Thursday night. Terrible.

Insisiting on football in Europe- terrible.

And were looking at a lockout under his watch next season.

Goodell hasnt brough one positive thing to the league.

That was never proven to be true.

But, Tags was mostly hands off.

Goodell has moved the draft from Noon Saturday- to 3 Saturday now to prime time Thursday night. Terrible.

Insisiting on football in Europe- terrible.

And were looking at a lockout under his watch next season.

Goodell hasnt brough one positive thing to the league.

More than anything what I find ridiculous is the complete inequity of how players are treated. Goodell has consistently made example of some players while letting others completely off the hook. He takes any chance he can to hang a player out to dry if they either have a bad reputation and he can make it look like he's taking a tough stand OR its a no-name player who he can screw over without causing too much stir. If its a situation where he might get backlash for disciplining a player or he think he can get good publicity out of letting a player off easy (e.g., the early removal of Vick's suspension), then he's all over it. There is absolutely no consistency in any of his decision making and that alone makes anything he says or does completely arbitrary and unreliable.

Archived