JN Mafia 2010

JustInFudge

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something Doggin posted for the noobs last year.

The best explanation is probably found here (I highlighted a couple of keys and deleted some irrelevant stuff):

http://mafiascum.net/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie_Guide

Quote:

Playing Mafia online for the first time can be a bit confusing, so this guide is here to point you in the right direction. If something isn't clear, or we managed to miss something entirely, feel free to ask questions in the forums.

You may find this Flash introduction to Mafia helpful.

Basic Rules

In its simplest form, Mafia consists of two sides: the Mafia, and the Town. The Mafia's goal is to kill the innocents, while the Town's goal is to kill the Mafia.

At the beginning of the game, the Moderator will secretly send everyone their role. The Mafia will know each other, while (in the basic game) everyone else will only know their own role.

The game has two phases.

During Day, the Town must choose someone to Lynch; they are trying to eliminate the Mafia, but the Mafia can lead them astray by casting suspicion elsewhere. Generally, players will vote for someone they think is Mafia (the Mafia will vote so that they seem to be doing this as well, and might even vote for each other to confuse the Town); when a player gets a majority of the votes, they are lynched. Their role is revealed by the Moderator, and it is Night.

During Night, the Town can not communicate, but the Mafia can discuss and choose someone to murder. After the Moderator has received the name of the victim, the Moderator reveals the dead player, and the next Day begins.

The game alternates between Night and Day until either the Mafia are eliminated, or the Mafia have killed everyone else.

Basic Roles

The above suffices for a Vanilla game, but most games of mafiascum have roles other than just Mafia and Townie. These roles have additional abilities (which are usually used during the Night, though there are some Day abilities as well). The most common are listed here.

Cop - Each night, the Cop can investigate one player (by sending their name to the Moderator), and finds out whether that player is Mafia or not. The Cop is on the Town's side.

Doctor - Each night, the Doctor can choose one player to protect (by sending their name to the Moderator). If the Mafia (or anyone else) tries to kill that player, they will fail. The Doctor is on the Town's side.

Vigilante - Each night, the Vigilante may kill another player (by sending their name to the Moderator). The Vigilante is on the Town's side.

Mason - The Masons are a group on the Town's side who know each other and can talk to each other at Night.

Serial Killer - The Serial Killer (often abbreviated as SK), like the Vigilante, may kill another player each Night (by sending their name to the Moderator). However, the Serial Killer is not on the Town's side or the Mafia's side. The Serial Killer wins when everyone else is dead.

Multiple Families - Often there is more than one group of Mafia. These act independently of one another, and must kill the other group as well as the Town in order to win.

Roleblocker - Each night, the Roleblocker can choose a player. That player will be prevented from using his or her night choice, if they have one.

There are many variations on the above roles that will often appear in more complicated games; for more information, visit the Roles page.

Useful links

This is a collection of other pages in the wiki that might well be helpful to look over.

FAQ

Commonly used abbreviations

Roles

Feel free to browse various games around the site too: reading how other players play can be helpful to work out what's going on.

Yeah, i have no freakin clue but I'll figure it out. If this is serious business where I'll be pissing people off in the beginning than no worries I'm cool with passing. Sounds kinda interesting though.

I'll play ur game.

I'm totally good with newbies. Read the post thats in this thread for the basics and I would also check out some of the games we've played. See what you are getting into.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

http://www.jetnation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78589&highlight=Mafia

http://www.jetnation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77219&highlight=Mafia

http://www.jetnation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75554&highlight=Mafia

Yeah, i have no freakin clue but I'll figure it out. If this is serious business where I'll be pissing people off in the beginning than no worries I'm cool with passing. Sounds kinda interesting though.

Definitely play if you want, don't worry about anyone else. Newbies always make it more fun. A lot of us here have played against each other so many times that it changes the elements of the game sometimes, but some new blood helps mix things up a bit.

One quick thing for the newbies: if you sign up make sure you're going to be able to check in at least a couple of times a day during the week. Things usually get quiet over the weekend, but during the week on top of general discussion there's also deadlines that come up for the game days and game nights, and if you disappear for too long you're bound to get yourself killed because people will get tired of your absence. Just a friendly piece of advice, in case that sounds like it will be a problem for you. :-D

**** it. Although I keep telling myself to stop spending so much time on the internet, sign me up.

I'll play ur game.

Cool! Always great to have new players

I'm in and should hopefully be relatively active compared to my last few games

Awesome, you're a good player

I'd like to play bup-z. Can;t wait to kill CTM.

bite me lardass

Well that filled up pretty quickly!!!

Glad to see some new faces and also some of the players that were new to last seasons games. This should make it interesting since most of us know each others style of play. With me, EY, Doggin, Jet Things, Woody and some others out...this will be cool to see how this goes down and folks react to some of the vets game personalities.

What do you guys think? Should we keep registration open to see if any more folks are interested or should we shut it down and get this game going?

I'm pretty busy at work and I'm out of town this weekend, so if we decide to keep it open for more to join, the game wont get started till Monday. If we lock it now, I might be able to get this to start sooner. I really dont know that we are missing anyone so this might be all we have...the set up can take some more players, but I'm good either way.

Thoughts?

Well that filled up pretty quickly!!!

Glad to see some new faces and also some of the players that were new to last seasons games. This should make it interesting since most of us know each others style of play. With me, EY, Doggin, Jet Things, Woody and some others out...this will be cool to see how this goes down and folks react to some of the vets game personalities.

What do you guys think? Should we keep registration open to see if any more folks are interested or should we shut it down and get this game going?

I'm pretty busy at work and I'm out of town this weekend, so if we decide to keep it open for more to join, the game wont get started till Monday. If we lock it now, I might be able to get this to start sooner. I really dont know that we are missing anyone so this might be all we have...the set up can take some more players, but I'm good either way.

Thoughts?

Figure the game won't get going until later today at best anyway, people probably won't be all checked in until the end of the day at best so you're talking one day of game before everyone disappears for the weekend. Given that, I'd say you might as well just hold off until Monday just to get the game off the a better start and that way if anyone is interested they can join up, if not then no harm done.

Agreed. And that relieves some stress off my shoulders as well since I'm a bit busy.

The game will start Monday. This gives other folks that are interested an opportunity to join.

I'll probably try and get everything out to you all on Sunday night so everyone can check in through out the day on Monday and get this thing started.

Archived